Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    25th Jan 10 at 1:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-01-2010 at 8:34 AM.
Page 25
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 8th Feb 10, 8:44 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Hi Longtallsally, i got Mr T version of 'I cant believe its not....' (cant remember exact name and it tucked in back of freezer now!) on offer at moment 2 500g tubs for £1.50.
    Originally posted by slowandsteady
    Longtallsally - I bought a tub of marg in Mr M, half price I think, anyway only 50P....sorry can't remember the name.

• mummygems
    • By mummygems 8th Feb 10, 9:56 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Can you please add me £375 for February.

I keep trying and failing but I need to pull my finger out now as my DH could be made redundant soon which is a very scary thought.

I have just sat and made a list of all the things we have in the cupboards and fridge/freezer and have made a meal plan for the rest of the month based on what we have in so we should only need the odd bit here and there and F&V and milk.

Thank you for the shiny new thread, and going to go back and read from page one.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 8th Feb 10, 10:00 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi peeps

i`ve not caught up with the thread yet but i shall sit down later when i`ve more time to catch up.

NSD for me today, the shopping yesterday came to £19.59 and DH managed to stick to the list that i wrote for him, i was at work so it was his turn to do the supermarket run.

Hopefully i shall manage this month without going over budget. We still have lots in the freezer and i think that this is the most organised that i`ve been for a couple of months - long may it continue.

Hope that everyone is doing well

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • poohspals
    • By poohspals 8th Feb 10, 10:02 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    poohspals
    Not really happy with myself today as I've gone over my budget of £50 a week by spending £60.77! I did spend £27.07 on things that weren't on my list so really annoyed with myself. That said, I did get DH some choccies for Valentines day, bacon was on offer so I've got some for the freezer and bacon butties on Sunday. We didn't really need tissues as I could have carried on using loo roll! I aslo bought hand sanitizer as I'm sneezing all the time. Got some easter eggs for the easter trail. I know its along way a way but once the camp opens i very rarely get time to browse through the shops so thought it was easier to get them now. I'm also having an Ann Summers party during the week so got some nibbles for that.

At the end of the day though I feel I've made a change - as I've come home and immediately checked the receipt and looked at the changes I could make. I was also using Mr Ts all the time so I could get my points - I've stopped by going to Mr Ms (much closer to home) but used my Mr Ts credit card so I can still pick some points up but came home and immediately transferred money from my current account to the credit card account so my card will still be clear
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 8th Feb 10, 10:25 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Longtallsally - I bought a tub of marg in Mr M, half price I think, anyway only 50P....sorry can't remember the name.
    Originally posted by ellemm

Just had a look in the fridge and DH has brought this home. Its called better by far if its the same one and it was 50p

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • rosieben
    sorry so late to join and first time post but for Feb budget is £300, so far £61.97
    Originally posted by hilly123
    Hello hilly, welcome to Old Style and the GC. MrsMC will be along to add you to the front page list soon. If you have any questions please ask, there's always someone here to help out. Good luck with your first challenge!
    Last edited by rosieben; 09-02-2010 at 9:36 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • poppy-glos
    nipped out for loaf of bread and spent £27.55 at mr t!

good thing is that i was child free so was able to browse and look and compare prices again, decided not to buy 'expensive' premade coldslaw, and ended up buying a cabbage to make the slaw and have veg over to go with a dinner.
    ended up buying some liquid soap/body wash that i used to buy prechallenge and have been craving... but have put them safely in the cupboard to come out when i really need them!
    bought offer of birds eye fish fingers. 2 x 10 pk for £2, and treat for dd of munch bunch bogoff yougurts - £1.50 for 8. I have got into the habit of buying the value fromage frais so they are more money... should have not bought them really.

One whoopsie bought today, smoked haddock with 1/3rd off, so pleased with that.

i have totalled up and spent half of my budget now, so my £5 a day spend target is now £4.50 a day target so i don't go over, plus need a good dose of nsd/lsd's...

I went through and listed the contents of one freezer today, got to do the other too later.

good luck all
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • hilly123
    Thanks very much rosie. Have just moved into new house and so money is really tight at the moment. You guys have all been v inspiring so far and so thought would jump on the band wagon. I'm finding that instead of taking easy option and just dropping by the shops when I finish work I'm actually trying of things to cook using everything at home Its new at the moment so not finding it too much of a chore...long may it continue. Will keep updating on this thread and hopefully will come under budget by the end of Feb
    £460/2000 mortg overpayment
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 8th Feb 10, 11:54 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    I ended up spending £13.58 today instead of about £4, but catfood and cereal bars were on special! So now I have enough to last me til at least the end of the month. It does make working out the budget confusing, though...
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
    • jollymummy
    • By jollymummy 8th Feb 10, 12:47 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    jollymummy
    Just been into a giant Wilkos store and spent £4.27 on soda crystals, stardrops etc, super OS I'll add it to my grocery total now. Felt quite virtuous as only bought what was on my list

NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 8th Feb 10, 12:52 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Hi everyone - its damage limitation time now due to the fact I went to Costco (fatal) and stocked up on loads of offers. I've planned out our meals till our month ends on the 19th and judging by my cupboards I will be able to cut back on the March budget. Should just need milk to keep us going so I'm hoping to scrape in under the wire!

Have a great day everyone!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • brodie1
    Yes please
    Hi all.

Not been on for a few days, as OH came to stay for the weekend. Caught up with all posts, and it feels like motivation is generally high this month. Lots of people reckon they're going to hit their targets. Go us, go us, go us... (cheerleader-chant-style!)

I had 2 NSDs Thurs and Fri, but then did my weekly shop in tesco today - came to £8.17! All i needed was some fruit, milk and a few other bits, as rest of week food is from freezer etc.

I got a load of recipes from freecycle the other week, and as part of my new year's resolutions, i wanted to make at least something new each month. Last month was only using a new packet mix (bolognese pasta bake - nom nom), so this month i made some butterscotch squares. Mmm, they are lush, and as they're quite filling, you only need a little piece, AND they freeze for four months! Sort of a cross between a flapjack and a cake, with melted fudge in! I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested...

Sig updated with my NSDs and huge() shop. Going to be tight, but i'm hopeful that i'll be ok for my first month back.

PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Yes plese to the recipe
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 8th Feb 10, 1:57 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    I'm feeling proud of myself - I went into the Co-op this morning to top up DHs phone and pay the TV licence - and didn't buy anything else!

Once Tesco deliver tomorrow, I won't need anything else until Friday, so if I can keep this up until then I'm on a winning streak
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 8th Feb 10, 2:44 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Afternoon all,
    Recieved my first approved food order today so another £38 to add to total, OH now stocked up on things for his pack up for work and cupboards are full.

Just off to update signature, catch up on thread etc
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • laurasavon
    • By laurasavon 8th Feb 10, 3:32 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    laurasavon
    I'm at £34.53 so far this month, but have another delivery tomorrow and meals planned for the rest of the week
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 8th Feb 10, 3:43 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Yikes, don't look at my total! It's horrendous!!

Only have about £5 left until 22nd Feb! Obviously I'm gonna be over this month, however both DS's have had birthdays, which meant party food we wouldn't otherwise buy, so I reckon I would've been okay apart from that - must work birthdays into the mix.

We still need to get through the food fest which is half-term, plus DH is off so that will be another mouth to feed! I'm working tomorrow, Thurs and Friday and have to stay in for a delivery on Wednesday, so should be able to stay away from the shops. I have enough in the freezers for all main meals (plus some for March), so only f&v and bread to buy. Damage limitation from now on .

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • welshkaz
    nsd for me today and hopefully tomorrow well earned duvet day with my little un whos home from school ill !!
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
    • franby64
    • By franby64 8th Feb 10, 4:44 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Today I spent £17.06, mainly on offers in the C*op on beans, noodles and sausages, which should last a while.
    The rest was apples, bananas (I could save loads of money if I didn't buy fruit - should get an apple tree!), milk, bread, yogurt and onions.
    I'm going to have a mid month T*sco delivery but scale it right down as I'm still spending much too much every day (talk about stating the obvious) - still need to be better organised.
    I'm getting a bit annoyed with myself - can you tell!!
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 8th Feb 10, 6:20 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 29,498 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

An NSD for me today, also yesterday but had to send DH to the farm shop on Sat as we had an overnight (veggie) guest who only eats white bread - so needed some t-cakes for her. He ended up also getting himself a growler (porkpie) as he loves those, & a jar of onion relish which was £1.49 I did tell him that I'd got a big bag of whoopsied onions (for 21p) so I could make the next lot for him He ended up spending another £10.43 of my budget, so have to add to my total. So far this month : £62.28
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 8th Feb 10, 6:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Butterscotch squares
    Makes 24 squares

225g plain flour
    1 tspn baking powder
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
    1/2 tspn ground mixed spice
    100g butter or block marg, softened
    100g soft light brown sugar
    100g caster sugar
    150ml apple sauce
    1 egg, plus 1 egg white
    1 tspn vanilla essence
    175g vanilla fudge, chopped
    450g oats

Preheat oven to 190C/gas5. Grease a 23x33cm tin.
    Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
    In a mixing bowl, beat together fat and sugars with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Beat in apple sauce, egg, egg white and vanilla essence until smooth and creamy.
    Put fudge in a pan. Heat gently, stirring, until melted. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and flour.
    Transfer mixture to tin. Spread level. Bake for 30 mins, or until golden. Cool in tin for 30 mins. Cut into 24 squares. Cool completely.
    Will keep for a week in your biscuit tin, or 4 months in the freezer. Thaw at room temp for about an hour.
    Enjoy!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

629Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin