Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 18th Sep 06, 5:09 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,337Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Nerd, moi? OK, I'm obsessed..... Blog Discussion
    • 18th Sep 06, 5:09 PM
    Nerd, moi? OK, I'm obsessed..... Blog Discussion 18th Sep 06 at 5:09 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's "OK, I'm obsessed..... nerd, moi?" blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 18-09-2006 at 5:25 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • 5hreek
    • 18th Sep 06, 5:51 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 5:51 PM
    Martin - maybe the average speed / sat nav thing was one to keep to yourself?
    • Fran
    • By Fran 18th Sep 06, 6:13 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:13 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:13 PM
    Martin - maybe the average speed / sat nav thing was one to keep to yourself?
    by 5hreek
    Yes, perhaps she just wanted to talk about the weather......... but there again maybe not! :rolleyes:
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
  • southernscouser
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:17 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:17 PM
    I think by calling yourself a nerd you are infact insulting us DFW Nerds!

But I can relate to the satisfaction your spreadsheet/graphs give you. It's the same as my debt sheet. Everytime a payment comes out of my account it gets noted on my document therefore there is a regular decreasing debt total. It's great for motivation.

What your excuse is though I have no idea maybe other than your a bit sad!
    • fishter
    • By fishter 18th Sep 06, 7:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    fishter
    • 18th Sep 06, 7:10 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 7:10 PM
    Any chance of a link to the spreadsheet?
  • Edinburghlass
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:15 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:15 PM
    I have to join you in the nerd corner

No graphs to play with but I do jot down number of views on a thread as it goes into the tip then keep an eye on those numbers rising and rising as more of the email hits people's inboxes.

I went through one thread about reducing your package with NTL and worked out the average saving per year per user was 65 and once worked out the number of new people joining to say "yes please" for a book Martin was offering!

Proud to be a nerd
    • Fran
    • By Fran 18th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    I have to join you in the nerd corner
    by Edinburghlass
    I suppose you use a pink pen too! So who can I talk to about the weather? :confused:

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Sep 06, 9:13 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 18th Sep 06, 9:13 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 9:13 PM
    Dear Fran

I am sitting at home watching a recording of "Maria" from Sat night, with the MSG next to me as we haven't seen it and she says,

"Hello Fran. I can talk to you about the weather for the next few days, sadly its not going to be that good. After that though... who knows... i work with meterologists; for longer you need a climatologist and they can only give rough estimates..."
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 18th Sep 06, 9:33 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    • 18th Sep 06, 9:33 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 9:33 PM
    Ah the joys of Excel!

Have you got into pivot tables yet? If not be warned - you will barely be able to contain the excitement

(All those rolling averages did impress though )

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 18th Sep 06, 9:56 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    Ah the joys of Excel!

Have you got into pivot tables yet? If not be warned - you will barely be able to contain the excitement

(All those rolling averages did impress though )
    by jessicamb
    Yeah I love pivot tables, my colleagues think I am really good at excel becuse I can do interesting things with the data we get on our customers...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Edinburghlass
    by fishter
    I'm not sure which one SS refers to but you can find one here

another one is here

Hope this helps and for Fran and the MSG, its very wet and windy here tonight
  • southernscouser
    I'm not sure which one SS refers to but you can find one here

another one is here

Hope this helps and for Fran and the MSG, its very wet and windy here tonight
    by Edinburghlass
    I was referring to my own random scribblings! Trust me you wouldn't want to download that!
    • Fran
    • By Fran 18th Sep 06, 10:01 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    I am sitting at home watching a recording of "Maria" from Sat night, with the MSG next to me
    by MSE Martin
    .....and you just popped on here to check your graphs?

I can talk to you about the weather for the next few days, sadly its not going to be that good. After that though... who knows... i work with meterologists; for longer you need a climatologist and they can only give rough estimates..."
    Hi MSG, Thankyou for your insight into the weather.

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 19th Sep 06, 11:21 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Well after such an intelligent question - how can i refuse... its been added to the blog
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

• mrviner
    • By mrviner 19th Sep 06, 11:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrviner
    Well after such an intelligent question - how can i refuse... its been added to the blog
    by MSE Martin
    Sorry for being dumb, I'm sure its "right in front of my eyes" but I can't find the link.
  • archived user
    Sorry for being dumb, I'm sure its "right in front of my eyes" but I can't find the link.
    by mrviner
    This link do you mean?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/blog/?=200608/#348
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 20-09-2006 at 7:59 AM.
  • Warms
    That made me laugh!
    Martin, you are mad, but in a loveable way!
  • lighter
    lighter
    We've been robbed -where's series 6 on the graphs ?
    There are many who can out-nerd you !

Best wishes for all the good work.
    Lighter
    • mrviner
    • By mrviner 20th Sep 06, 10:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrviner
    by Judi
    No I'm looking for the link to the spreadsheet that Martin mentioned above had been added to the blog. I can only see a picture of a graph.

And the graph is after the 'Discuss this blog' link, so it looks to me like no link to a spreadsheet was added, just a picture of a graph. I'm not complaining I was just a bit confused.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 21st Sep 06, 9:55 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Yes sorry it is just the pic of the graph - adding the spreadsheet itself gets a bit complicated (plus its my toy and i'm not letting any of you play with it - so there! )

As for

We've been robbed -where's series 6 on the graphs ?
    Actually point 6 is on there - its just named something different. However a true nerd would've spotted there are some others missing, but its due to
    The graph itself (actually its one of three graphs mapping the same data, as different scales are needed)
    Martin
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 21-09-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,224Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin