Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • angelcakes_smw
    • By angelcakes_smw 10th Feb 10, 12:19 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    angelcakes_smw
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:19 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 12:19 AM
    I made some 'love cheques' which you can buy from most places for about a fiver but mine looked better and they were more personal because I'd made them myself.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 16-02-2010 at 7:36 PM.
  • VCE_in_Fornax
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:03 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:03 AM
    make up a jar of "52 reasons why I love you", 52 slips of paper on which you state why you love them, tell them to keep the jar at work (or home) and open it once a week for a year (or once a day if you're inspired with 365 reasons!!!) to keep the romance going and cheer them up when the going is a bit tough...it really works!!! Choose a non see through jar if it's to be kept at work (eg coffee tin), it's nobody else's business...
    Think I got this idea from this forum to be honest!
    Happy Valentine!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 16-02-2010 at 7:56 PM.
  • caeliaolivia
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:24 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:24 AM
    not free, but cheap enough. half price boxes of thorntons at londis 3.49
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 10th Feb 10, 9:55 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 9:55 AM
    If you have the time why not make some paper roses out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners
    show someone you love them and these will never die

or bake some cakes or make your own chocolates
    get some novelty ice cube trays as moulds if you need help

OR perhaps instead of making such an effort for one day and then going back to your mundane everyday life find a way to show someone you love them every day and not just because everyone else is doing it

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 16-02-2010 at 7:57 PM.

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 10th Feb 10, 10:29 AM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 46,822 Thanks
    euronorris
    • 10th Feb 10, 10:29 AM
    • 10th Feb 10, 10:29 AM
    I'm making a chicken and mushroom pie for my bf on our anniversary at the end of this month (don't celebrate valentine's).

I made this for his Birthday last year also and he loved it. It reminds him of being a kid, at home with the family etc etc and it's the only thing he's asked for. This is a bit more of a treat for him though as it's an English dish that we can't buy ready made here.
    November wins: 20p Quidco, Cadbury World Family Ticket
  • katmcleod
    • 10th Feb 10, 1:36 PM
    • 10th Feb 10, 1:36 PM
    I'm making heart shaped cookies, I already have the cutters. I also used our odd sock bag to make a family of sock monkeys (so the kids can have something too). Dead easy to make, I'm a new user though so I can't post links. It's on the santaspostbag website, you can google it and find christmas sock monkey in the menu.

Not free but extra's...
    Bought The Crow DVD, searched around and got it for 2.99 with free P&P, it was the first film we saw together.
    Also bought a card. Ran out of time to make one, the monkeys took longer than I thought.
  • justincm
    • 10th Feb 10, 3:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 10, 3:13 PM
    Again not free but maybe cheaper than your current PAYG

talkmobile are offering a free Samsung tocco lite (pink/black) for 10 a month.

This includes 100 xnet minutes and 500 Text messages.

works out at 200 text messages more per month than a tesco 10 triple credit top up.
    • ELLA
    • By ELLA 10th Feb 10, 4:07 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    ELLA
    • 10th Feb 10, 4:07 PM
    • 10th Feb 10, 4:07 PM
    Is there a web site to get an idea of the 52 reasons why I love you, I might run out too quickly otherwise lol!
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 10th Feb 10, 4:45 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Is there a web site to get an idea of the 52 reasons why I love you, I might run out too quickly otherwise lol!
    Originally posted by ELLA
    Thought it was just me
    • fantasia322
    • By fantasia322 10th Feb 10, 5:06 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 11,637 Thanks
    fantasia322
    Originally posted by ELLA
    http://www.inspiration4everyone.com/chris_sandy/sandy_pages/100_reasons_why_i_love_you.html

you can adapt it to suit yourself. if you google you can find the 365 reasons as well. Good luck choosing lol
  • mellymeep
    If you both like spicy chicken go to Nando's! they're offering a free goodie bag with anne summers things etc... inside for your other half

http://www.nandosblog.co.uk/uncategorized/paddy-puts-the-love-into-nandos/
    trying to become a moneysaving student
    • catylulu89
    • By catylulu89 10th Feb 10, 7:20 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    catylulu89
    I've got this idea to get 12 red balloons and fill each balloon with a piece of paper, and on each piece of paper is a reason why I love my partner..... Sort of a valentines day Balloon drop!

That is, if the cat doesn't get to them first!
  • kr15snw
    I've got this idea to get 12 red balloons and fill each balloon with a piece of paper, and on each piece of paper is a reason why I love my partner..... Sort of a valentines day Balloon drop!

That is, if the cat doesn't get to them first!
    Originally posted by catylulu89
    On our first valentines day together, my boyfriend filled the front room with heart shaped balloons. Great except the parrot got there first.

Que one scared senseless parrot and lots of popped balloons
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • soupface
    A variation on the "reasons" theme is something I did for my boyfriend last year: I made him a little box, cut out and coloured some paper hearts (because I'm fourteen, haha) and on each one I wrote "I love you more than..." and then a random thing I like, such as "smelling warm bread in supermarkets," "buying stationery," "winning at Mario Kart," etc. Could be an alternative if you're having trouble thinking of lots of really specific reasons why you love your OH.

ETA: I did also write him a love letter and that ended up being an easier way of putting why I loved him into words.
  • Evansangel
    Just got this from sainsburys in an email. Could be a good gift for your OH

http://www3.sainsburys.co.uk/littleones/search-recipes/item/root/vanilla-and-chocolate-love-heart-biscuits
    Wife, Mum, Fashion Student, Morrisons Worker
    2012: Clear CC, Clear Catalogue, Start Saving!
    • catylulu89
    • By catylulu89 10th Feb 10, 8:38 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    catylulu89
    On our first valentines day together, my boyfriend filled the front room with heart shaped balloons. Great except the parrot got there first.

Que one scared senseless parrot and lots of popped balloons
    Originally posted by kr15snw
    Thats just brilliant!

Im planning on hiding all the balloons in the wardrobe.. I don't trust our cat, especially since she is only 6 months old!
    Gotta get the debt down from 18,000 and fingers crossed win some comps!

Thank you to everyone who posts advice and comps on the forum, Good luck to you all!!
    • savingmummy
    • By savingmummy 10th Feb 10, 8:49 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    savingmummy
    I got my hubby a cd album using my pigsback points
    Also making dinner from food in freezer/cupboards and got a bottle of wine from mum which was an unwanted xmas present
    It`s our anniversary so need to do something and of course - Very MSE!
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014

Savings 132/1000.
  • aiessa
    I must admit to being practical /tight more than romantic - so this is as romantic as it gets !! Every year he gets a gift bag with his fave car mag, dvd (some cheapo one on sale but still entertaining) his fave bag of thorntons chocs and of course a valentines card (the same one I've been giving him for 17 years which I have back after he's 'read' it!) and for supper I make a buffet table with his fave sarnies and home bakes. Most importantly he's allowed to lounge around in his bath robe all day if neccessary !
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Feb 10, 10:31 AM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 41,568 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I don't normally respond to threads but I'm really happy with my MS valentines gifts. Its also my OHs birthday on 15th and our anniversary on 16th! So we have agreed (although I'm not entirely sure he's going to stick to it!) to only give spend 1! I took some inspiration from here and wrote a list of 100 reasons why I love him - its actually a lot easier than I thought it would be when I started. I've made a card using a picture of the two of us a couple of summers ago when we were having a really good time. And I've printed off some country walking routes in the area we live as he loves going for walks. Actually feels really good to have been creative, can't wait to give it to him!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,800Posts Today

10,044Users online

Martin's Twitter