Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 16th Feb 05, 4:50 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Boots Bargains' Hunt
    • 16th Feb 05, 4:50 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Boots Bargains' Hunt 16th Feb 05 at 4:50 PM
    Boots is a treasure trove for active MoneySavers, there's rarely a need to pay full price. Having used a selection of techniques myself the other day, I thought I'd knock up this quick note about what to do.

Please help out by posting your own Boots bargain spots in reply too.

The Boots Bonus Machine. (My name for it, not theirs)

In most Boots you'll find a machine that looks like a cash machine, to put your Boots Advantage card in. Most people just ignore it.

This is a mistake. It isn't just to check-up of how many Boots’ points you've got. It actually gives you a selection of discount vouchers, which you can choose to print out in store. Do this tactically and you'll save a fortune.

E.g. The other day I wanted to buy an ultrasound pain reliever (to help my RSI - I'm currently speech dictating this, so please ignore bizarre errors) that costs around £80. I checked through the vouchers that were available to me at the machine and one was a 10% off when you spend over £50 voucher.

I used this (in conjunction with another voucher mentioned later) and it meant £8 off my purchase, simply by checking the Boots Bonus Machine first.

So the next time you are in Boots, check out what vouchers are available to you. There's no need to use them there and then, but its good to know what's on offer to plan future spending.

Boots Advantage Card.

This is a no-brainer option. The Boots Advantage Card returns four points per pound spent. This means it is effectively a discount of 4% if the user card when in Boots. (See the Loyalty Checker for a full list of all schemes).

E.g. On my spend the other day, I earned £3.20 worth of Boots advantage points to spend another day.

This doesn't however mean you should always shop at boots as Boots is often more than 4% more expensive than its competitors. So if a bottle of shampoo cost £2 in Boots, and you use the card, it's really only costing you £1.92. However, if the same shampoo is available for £1.80 at the Savers centre down the road, then even with the advantage points it isn't good a good buy.

(If you've never checked out a Savers centre, it's worth doing, very good prices. The idea is it buys in 'known brands' that are currently cheap and flogs them on, this means its product range isn't consistent but its prices are always low).

Boots Personal Targeted Voucher Offers.

Recently, Boots have started sending a series of targeted vouchers through the post to get us to spend more. These can be used in conjunction with the Boots Bonus Machine vouchers. So they can get you further discounts (for my spending last night, my vouchers took roughly a further £10 off).

Again it is important to make sure you use the right vouchers at the right time. E.g if you get a 20% off all spending voucher, don't use it to buy a pack of Ibuprofen (ps see my cheapest prescriptions and medications article), wait until you've a big shop to do before you spend it.

Double Points Weekends

Always watch out the TV adverts, telling you when a Boots ‘double points weekend’ is happening. If you need to buy something from Boots anyway then this is the time to do it (in conjunction with the offers above).

Double points = extra 4% discount off all shopping
    Treble points = extra 8% discount off all shopping

These weekends are always noted by Chat Forum users, so checking this forum is a good way to find them.

Boots Points Pricing Errors Equals Freebies

The massive administration of distributing Boots’ points can often lead to pricing errors which MoneySavers can take real advantage of.

What often happens is that they say “100 extra points if you buy anything from the XXXXXXXXXXXX collection”.

Yet keen eyed consumers can often find things in that collection which cost less than a pound. This means that in effect Boots is paying you to take the product; if it costs 80p but they give you one pound worth of points, then you've made a profit.

The best example was the Great Toe Separator Hunt, which worked exactly this way. Many MoneySavers were snatching up any toe separator they could find a making a huge profit out of it. It was roughly 50p profit per seperator (or 10p per toe ) from memory, so buy 100 and you were £50 up.

Always keep your eyes open during the special points Bonanza offers as you may just find Boots paying you to buy a toothbrush.

And always remember to haggle

For bigger puchases, why not seek out a section manager and try and haggle the price down - it can work.

I hope you save some money

Martin

NOW ON WITH THE GREAT HUNT!!!!

What other current ways to save at Boots, or Boots Bargains can you spot. Click reply to tell us all (there is already a long specific discussion about 'points bonanza' here)
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 14-02-2008 at 11:18 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • ReductionQueen
    • By ReductionQueen 16th Feb 05, 6:48 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ReductionQueen
    • 16th Feb 05, 6:48 PM
    Amazing!
    • 16th Feb 05, 6:48 PM
    I was only just thinking that there should be a Boots thread, and there it is! Thanks Martin.
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • rushnowt
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:27 PM
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:27 PM
    Excellent thread Martin, I love boots, since finding this site
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing

• Highland_Lass
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:47 PM
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:47 PM
    Thanks Martin. Will certainly enjoy this thread.
    If I had known then what I know now . . .
    Official Boots Tart (I seem to be retired just now though)
    • Ms-Money-Penny
    • By Ms-Money-Penny 16th Feb 05, 7:56 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 12,812 Thanks
    Ms-Money-Penny
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:56 PM
    • 16th Feb 05, 7:56 PM
    I Have A 4 Month Old Grandson - I Have Encouraged My Daughter To Get A Boots Card Because When You Spend Over £25.00 On Baby Goods You Get 500 Points Which Is A 20% Saving.

This Week She Spent Her £25.00 Got 500 Points, Huggies Were On Offer 2 Packs For £16.00 Plus 200 Points.so She Had 700 Points.

Yes A Good Saving - But As Many Will Point Out - Would Have Saved More By Using Good Old Fashioned Nappies - Use To Love Seeing Nappies Blowing On The Line
  • diamondgirl
    • 17th Feb 05, 8:35 AM
    Boots Price Match
    • 17th Feb 05, 8:35 AM
    It's worth noting that Boots operate (or used to operate) a price matching policy - it's some time since I had to use it, but worth asking about next time you want to take advantage of the points but don't want to pay over the odds for the item. If you get fobbed off by the store staff - check with head office - which is what I did and got written confirmation that a price match policy was in operation.
    • Suzy_Babe
    • By Suzy_Babe 17th Feb 05, 8:52 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Suzy_Babe
    • 17th Feb 05, 8:52 AM
    • 17th Feb 05, 8:52 AM
    Only problem is when the AP Machines are out of order.

I live in Dudley (West Mids) and the two stores in Dudley Town Centre do not have a machine (neither does the one in Brierley Hill), so have to go to the Boots store in the Merry Hill Shopping Centre.

Don't know what the problem is here, but the number of times that you go and (at least two of the four) machines aren't working! Last night they were ALL out of action (again!).

The shop assistants to whom I have complained are equally fed up (they take the brunt of customers' dissatisfaction), so perhaps it is time we started asking to speak to a Head of Department, or even the Manager, every time we encounter this situation. After all, it means that we are being denied fair access to bargains that other cardholders are enjoying.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there is some sort of 'equality' law that is being breached .... perhaps we could take the matter to the European Court of Human Rights!!!

Seriously, though, if each of us complained whenever we were unable to use the machines because they were out of action, it might just make a difference - worth a try?
    If it's cheap, I'm cheerful!
  • Lillibet
    • 17th Feb 05, 9:19 AM
    • 17th Feb 05, 9:19 AM
    The 2 advantage machines in the Walton-on-Thames branch are out of order more often than they are working! I hardly bother to check them any more. Didn't know about the price match policy though...........thats good news!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 17th Feb 05, 9:37 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 21,425 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 17th Feb 05, 9:37 AM
    • 17th Feb 05, 9:37 AM
    The advantage machine in the Ely branch is so annoying - it's basically tucked behind the till at the front of the shop, so you've got to squeeze through a small gap to get to it. When I did this last, I got stares from the shop assistants.

I also complained to Boots HQ about this and they said that they would look into it. They did(!) and said that their shop designers could see no problem with the positioning of the machine. Grrr.

That said, I do have a good few points........................
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 declared
  • Sarahsaver
    Always seek out the discounted items shelves in Boots, after you have been to the advantage point machine of course! They are usually hidden out if the way in an obscure corner of the shop. Then if a range is on BOGOF or extra points you still get the points on the discounted stuff, or get them BOGOF. Got loads of sun lotion like this, and also glitter babes' stuff for daughter's xmas stocking
    I don't go into boots often but they remember me whan I do! A friend and I got a load of Tisserand aromatherapy stuff which was on BOGOF but it was also on clearance - priced 25p for vapour rub and 35p for bath oil!!!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • superhoop
    • By superhoop 17th Feb 05, 12:21 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    superhoop
    Boots moans
    For those of you with moans about Boots, it is well worth writing direct to the Chief Executive, Richard Baker, at Head Office in Nottingham.

I have met Richard professionally, and he is very customer and action focused, apart from being a nice chap! He's the sort of guy who gets things done - he used to be Chief Exec at Asda.

I'd love to hear how anyone who does this gets on!

Steve
    We are QPR, say we are QPR!
    • kidtechnical
    • By kidtechnical 17th Feb 05, 1:27 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    kidtechnical
    Always seek out the discounted items shelves in Boots, after you have been to the advantage point machine of course!
    by Sarahsaver
    This is my favourite part of boots, I can't resist going in to see what's available if I'm passing, there's always cosmetics & hair products marked down and I can't remember last time I paid full price for suncream thanks to this shelf! It's very easy to find in smaller branches, but I've never been able to find it in larger ones.
  • advantage_card
    Marin, what suggestions do you have for a Boots Tart who

A Has severe problems seeing the Advantage Point so basically only uses it to see ifo nline order receiptshave come in or with a relative, as it is near to impossible to get a member of staff to help out unless the machine actually wants to break or eat my card

B The branch you go to rigidly sticks to the *one voucher per transaction* rule, meaning you cannot do as you do, using machine coupons in conjunction with mailed-out couopons

BTW Remember i think Boots have stopped even vaildating receipts so make sure you don't lose/froget your card! The person beside me at the next checkout didn't have a card and the cashier just went on at her *oh do you not want one?* - i naughtily wanted to steal her points as she spent over £8, but knew that was against the T+Cs!
    my advantage_card is like gold dush
    • Jodun
    • By Jodun 17th Feb 05, 1:38 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Jodun
    I've noticed in the last few months that the offers in the machines are rubbish. I regularly check for good deals (eg 100 points on stuff less than £1) but there never seems to be anything like that anymore. Are the Advantage Point offers the same for everyone or do they differ from person to person, or store to store?

• Penny£Wise
    Boots Bargain.
    I got a bargain the other day in Boots. They were selling their cosmetic bags off with all the products inside. These were originally given away as promotional gifts at Christmas. They had them on sale for £5 each Or you got three for a tenner. I bought three and sold them on Ebay for a profit. The cosmetic bags had a selection of Boots Number 7 range including a full size eye shadow which retails at £6. Plus lipstick miosturizer and a mirror. The bag itself is a good one. Check out there may still. be some around.
  • northerntiger
    Thanks boots
    • FlowerBob
    • By FlowerBob 17th Feb 05, 7:26 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    FlowerBob
    Subscribing at www.boots.com to their email newsletter makes sure you are notified of the extra points offers in store...
    Also might be worth buying online if my (one and only) experience is anything to go by - I ordered a bath spa and 4 packs of Christmas cards, but received bath spa, 3 packs christmas cards and a DVD player. Repeated emails to customer services went unanswered, apart from the odd automated reply, and I can't ring them up as they only open 9-5 Monday to Friday - when I'm at work.
    Finally wrote them a letter after Christmas and since I still have no reply have donated DVD player to charity raffle.
    Still would like my 4th pack Christmas cards though :-)
  • schoolfundraiser
    Advantage point offers
    I did a spell one Christmas working in Boots and had the explanation of how the scheme works - the offers are to some extent tailored to you but there are usually ones which everyone gets. The more you use Boots the better the offers get I'm afraid. I shouldn't think that has changed. The points can only be used on selected items but I used them last year to buy squeezy packs of suncream which were already on 3 for 2 and with only £1.49 worth of points got 6 handy sachets for just under £1.50. Watch out for the Soltan suncream squeezies as they are ideal for taking to the beach and they are usually on 3 for 2. Also being Boots own brand Savers (which is just across the road from Boots here) don't stock them.

jacqui
  • frecoid
    Here's another money-saving promotion that Boots often have. Recently, if you spent £15 on any products in Boots you received a £5 voucher to spend on certain products, this time it was skincare from Roc, L'Oreal, No7 etc. I managed to get 3 of these vouchers and had 3 packs of my usual face wipes worth £15 in total for free! Excellent promotion!

Jan
  • Evonic
    Evonic
    If you have a pay-as-you-go mobile, you can use your advantage card when you top up. I always buy my top-ups from Boots then use my free points to get other stuff for free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,420Posts Today

8,030Users online

Martin's Twitter