Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 1st Feb 10, 12:47 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Music buying: can CDs be cheapest?
    • 1st Feb 10, 12:47 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Music buying: can CDs be cheapest? 1st Feb 10 at 12:47 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Downloading tracks is not always the cheapest way to buy music, research shows ..."

Page 1
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 1st Feb 10, 2:51 PM
    • 8,338 Posts
    • 48,512 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 1st Feb 10, 2:51 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 2:51 PM
    hmm. 29p for a single, x 12 for an album = 3.48..

still prefer cd's myself. something to hold, show off, swap, maybe even sell..

cant really do that (easily? legally??) with digital stuff..?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • laurel7172
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:49 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:49 PM
    I've been wondering for a while: what's the legal situation if you buy a CD, load it onto your MP3 player and later sell the CD?
  • Shedrock
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:30 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:30 PM
    The internet, which has revolutionised how we buy music in terms of price and access, is still the cheapest method overall.
    by Guy Anker
    Although it's tantamount to illegal downloading, in that no money winds up in the songwriters/copyright holders pockets, I buy the vast majority of my music secondhand because it's almost always the cheapest option. The last pre-owned album I purchased cost me 1.00, whereas the mp3 version costs 4.99 and the brand new CD costs 8.00.
  • jumpycheese1
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:14 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:14 PM
    I prefer CDs over downloads anytime. If your laptop or computer gets stolen, the insurer will only pay for the computer. They have no clue or idea how you can prove that to had your stolen laptop full of paid MP3 files.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • mpchooligan
    • 1st Feb 10, 9:32 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 9:32 PM
    hmm. 29p for a single, x 12 for an album = 3.48..

still prefer cd's myself. something to hold, show off, swap, maybe even sell..

cant really do that (easily? legally??) with digital stuff..?
    Originally posted by brightonman123

I just love something to hold! Also i love cover art (even though most cover art is rubbish nowadays) and being able to read the notes inside. I must be one of the few who still buys vinyl!
  • ckerrd
    • 1st Feb 10, 9:42 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 9:42 PM
    I've been wondering for a while: what's the legal situation if you buy a CD, load it onto your MP3 player and later sell the CD?
    Originally posted by laurel7172
    The legal position is that you should delete the MP3 files as you no longer own the original
    We all evolve - get on with it
    • gregmac666
    • By gregmac666 2nd Feb 10, 9:04 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    gregmac666
    • 2nd Feb 10, 9:04 AM
    • 2nd Feb 10, 9:04 AM
    It's rare that I find an official download that is cheaper than purchasing the physical item from an online reseller, especially when you include discount codes & vouchers.

I tend to listen to bands on MySpace to see if I like 'em, then buy the CD. If for some reason after purchasing the CD I find that I'm not liking that artists as much as hoped, I'll re-sell the CD on eBay to recoup some costs & then invest that in something else.

I do fail to delete the MP3's from my iTunes afterwards, but I never buy a CD only to deliberately rip & then re-sell. I think that's a sad situation to be in.
    No signature here. Move along please.
    • redux
    • By redux 2nd Feb 10, 6:25 PM
    • 19,107 Posts
    • 25,982 Thanks
    redux
    • 2nd Feb 10, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd Feb 10, 6:25 PM
    The last CD I bought came direct from the artist, ordered on his website

It doesn't exist on the Tunechecker or Megashopbot

Well, it only had a 4 * review by a couple of the music magazines last summer

Almost the same applies to the next 2 CDs I might buy, though just Amazon does manage to have one of them for over 13 and the other over 52, compared to $10 + $6 or $8.50 int'l postage off the band's own website
    Last edited by redux; 02-02-2010 at 6:28 PM.
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 3rd Feb 10, 11:24 AM
    • 8,338 Posts
    • 48,512 Thanks
    brightonman123
    The legal position is that you should delete the MP3 files as you no longer own the original
    Originally posted by ckerrd
    like thats stopped anyone,, lol (elder relatives often had vinyl record swap parties, 'back in the day'..)

whether the then took it back for exchange / refund, they never said ;-)
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • ckerrd
    laurel7172 asked what the legal position was - now they know.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • expat_mike
    Whatever happened to cheap down loads
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Downloading tracks is not always the cheapest way to buy music, research shows ..."

Originally posted by MSE Guy
    Why would anyone pay to download any lossy format like MP3 or WMA if the real CD is no more expensive. If you're paying the going hard copy "CD" rate for a soft download I'd expect it to be in a loss-less format like Flac for archiving purposes in much the same way I buy CD's originals and convert to MP3 for use on my players. Any loss or damage of the files and I can re-constitute them quickly and easily without losing quality. Sounds like greed to me charging that much for low quality sound tracks. No wonder piracy is rife.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 4th Feb 10, 12:29 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    Sharon87
    I tend not to buy albums anymore, unless I really like the artist. I hear a song and download it. I've only ever bought 1 album I downloaded from iTunes and it was only 4.99.

If I do want an album I definetely look at the physical copy - I got the new Muse one for Christmas and it has a DVD with it as well - but apparantly it was quite expensive (that's what he got for leaving it last minute and not being able to get a good price on line lol.)
  • Mr.Mulla
    I prefer to buy CDs as well especially if they are my favorite artist. I only download music as a preview of the albums I want to buy. More like reviewing the album first before I buy them.
    Mr. Mulla
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 6th Mar 10, 10:38 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    like thats stopped anyone,, lol (elder relatives often had vinyl record swap parties, 'back in the day'..)

whether the then took it back for exchange / refund, they never said ;-)
    Originally posted by brightonman123
    Like the law which says your not allowed to make copies of your CDs onto the computer has stopped people :P
  • charles w
    Why would anyone pay to download any lossy format like MP3 or WMA if the real CD is no more expensive. If you're paying the going hard copy "CD" rate for a soft download I'd expect it to be in a loss-less format like Flac for archiving purposes in much the same way I buy CD's originals and convert to MP3 for use on my players. Any loss or damage of the files and I can re-constitute them quickly and easily without losing quality. Sounds like greed to me charging that much for low quality sound tracks. No wonder piracy is rife.
    Originally posted by expat_mike
    ....is the right answer. Lossy is for losers.
  • tonyh01
    I've started to sell my CD collection on Amazon as I can't remember the last time I played a CD - always seems to be digital through my computer or MP3 player. Not as sad as when I sold my Vinyl collection as they were works of art and spent much of my youth listening to albums and studying the information on the cover. Could never do that on CDs.
    Never thought about the aspect of deleting the MP3s when you sell the CD.
    Any justification in the fact I paid 10 -12 for the CDs and selling them for 2-3?
  • KimYeovil
    Any justification in the fact I paid 10 -12 for the CDs and selling them for 2-3?
    Originally posted by tonyh01
    No. Idiot.
  • Bobmcdingleberry
    I buy CDs 2 for 10 and then put songs on computer, then sell CDs (sometimes).
    Last edited by Bobmcdingleberry; 07-07-2010 at 8:01 AM.
    • Maz4501
    • By Maz4501 25th Jul 10, 8:19 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Maz4501
    hey
    thanks.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,994Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter