Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    25th Jan 10 at 1:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-01-2010 at 8:34 AM.
Page 6
    • becky170
    • By becky170 30th Jan 10, 6:39 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    becky170
    My online shop arrived today so that's 46.26 off this month's budget! On the plus side I now have enough shampoo and fabric conditioner to last at least three months, and I ended up with an extra muller rice for free in my shopping. I've developed a bit of a thing for muller rice recently, which is a bit of an expensive habit at 54p per pot!
    MFW 2019 #7 1377/1615
    • ragz
    • By ragz 30th Jan 10, 6:44 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    HI all.
    Still no baby yet, which is really messing up my meal plans lol, as I have food in specifically for the days after her arrival, which was expected last Sunday! I was convinced she''d come today but no sign yet...

9 spend today in Tesco. Some orange tango for me (labour fuel supposedly, but I keep drinking it!) BOGOF at about 1.50 a bottle so cheaper than the cans I'd been getting from co-op (can't drink cheap pop, but don't usually buy it at all).
    Also a couple of bottles of cider for OH, which has gone up by a massive 30p a bottle since last week.
    6 pints of milk and some value jaffa cakes (I can't tell the difference between these and Mcvitites, they are both dry and tasteless, I only really like the Lidl ones!)

Have taken last loaf of 10p bread of out of the freezer. Debating whether to put some trousers on (wearing pjs due to humungous bump) and go to co-op NOW and stock up as they are bound to have bread reduced at this time of night, also will get a look at any other whoopsies...
    Won't be doing many late shopping runs once baby gets here so this may be last chance, but it is getting late and OH is falling asleep on the sofa
    oh decisions decisions...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • looie
    • By looie 30th Jan 10, 7:24 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hi all, my first shop of this month. Went to Mr T's and spent 40.78 so well stocked up for a while. I was really pleased as they had quorn sausages for 47p and quorn burgers for 35p so grabbed a couple of boxes. Can't leave them there for that price !
    • ragz
    • By ragz 30th Jan 10, 7:49 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Well, I went. Decided an evening stroll around the shops might encourage baby to make an appearance...

Dissapointingly no reduced bread in co-op, only reduced thing they had was a lot of free range eggs for 20p for 6 so I got 3 boxes, omlettes for dinner tomorrow then!
    Did stock up on their offers though...
    2 heinz 4 packs for 3, heinz ketchup big squeezy bottle for 1, hellmans mayo 1, 18 pack hula hoops 2, 2 packs of bacon 4,
    BOGOF Ican'tbelieveitsnotbutter 1
    Spent 14

Looked in Tesco express for bread but none there either. Did get OH a finest carbonara for 50p (his dinner tomorrow now as he's not keen on omelettes) and some wafer thin ham for the kids lunch tomorrow for 20p, plus a few treats for me... total spend about 2.

So no bread for the bread plan... and today's spend total now 9 + 14 + 2 = 25
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • carrieon
    Hi, Just caught up on the Jan thread now have to catch up on this.
    Could i please set my GC for 160.00 This for all groceries including toiletries and cleaning but not school dinners for DD or alcohol. Overspent by 8 last month but not too bad in the scheme of things.
    Good luck and happy shopping everyone.
    Forgot to say my month starts today and ends on 25th Feb.
    Debt at 01/01/2010 130 MBNA

Challenges 365 in 365 days total.....41.14/365
    Grocery challenge December 87.69/ 80.00 Grocery challenge Feb 74.50/160
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 50.92/100 in 2010
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 30th Jan 10, 8:09 PM
    • 4,373 Posts
    • 10,717 Thanks
    mark88man
    so thinking hard about this having only just got under 500, I don't want to be too brave, but unless hte snows come back, we are going to live out of the freezer and storecupboard as much as possible this month - new kitchen coming in March/April

so I am going for 450 this month please or 75 pounds each
    Things happen for a reason. Often because we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    Mid 19: CC:15K@0% - Car Loan:9K@2.8% - Mort:124K@2.1% = 148K - down 8k year to date
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• jollymummy
    • By jollymummy 30th Jan 10, 8:42 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    jollymummy
    I came in under budget for January but can I set my budget for 360 again please.

I've managed to save money by only doing one online shop a week and not popping to the shop for just a loaf and spending a fiver, we've made HM bread when we ran out.

I'm also proud of our 4 year old who is now getting pocket money rather than us buying him comics and sweets etc. My friend made him a little wallet out of a recycled milk carton. So if we go out he shouts Mummy have we got my milk money - bless
    Last edited by jollymummy; 30-01-2010 at 8:45 PM.

NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • ChocClare
    Hi again chaps!

Well, we have had our most expensive week ever - thousands of pounds to pay out, what with DH's tax bill and my replacement car after mine was written off - other chap's insurance paid out, but how a less-than-three-year-old car can be written off completely when it still drives perfectly well but just has a huge dent in the back is beyond me...

As a result, and despite my WOEFUL non-appearance for the last two months, I would please like to join for February!!!

Could you put me down for 350 please?

I went shopping today, which I think should count as my first shop as it's for next week - I spent 13.62 and I'm going to try and live out of the freezer and storecupboard at least this week apart from that. Lots in, so hope it's do-able.

Good luck, everyone!
    • cuffey
    • By cuffey 30th Jan 10, 9:16 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    cuffey
    Just done a Mr T order and used 24.50 worth of vouchers. Came in around the 50 mark after that, so will update sig when it arrives on Tuesday. I've tried to really think about what we need rather than adding things willy-nilly as I would normally have done pre Challenge!

Cooked a pheasant for supper which has been in the freezer for months. It's appeared more than once on the menu plan, and then we've not really fancied it. Anyway, cooked it in the slow cooker . . . . and now it's in the fridge and we seem to be saving it for tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure why!!!!
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 30th Jan 10, 9:30 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Haven't done this challenge for a few months (well - I still do it, but not posted on here ) - so am back in for February (although my month started on 24th Jan.) I'm going for 380 - that's for 2 adults & 3 children and includes all packed lunches (5 of us), toiletries, contact lens solutions, cleaning products etc....oh, and food of course

Have so far spent 124.05 - which is not great - but leaves me with 85 per week...so should be do-able
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/100
    Christmas Saving 0/1300

Saving Target 2014 25/1000
    • mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 30th Jan 10, 9:58 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    380 please!
    Can you put me down for 380 please! This will be from 1st feb-22nd as that's when DH gets paid. Then I'll start my March budget from there.

I am basing 380 on the fact I spent 411 by 22nd Jan & so have cut it back a little bit. Here's hoping eh!

Will do a full inventory tomorrow ready for a shop on Mon.

My budget is food/baby formula & household for 2 adults, 2 children & a baby.

I'm still not including nappies/toiletries/medicine & catfood till I can cut the food back.

3 months till I can wean baba off the formula

Lisa
    • MoneyQueen
    • By MoneyQueen 30th Jan 10, 10:13 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    MoneyQueen
    Hi

Can you put me down for 40 for February please. Have well stocked cupboards/ Freezer. Just need to buy Fruit/ Fresh Veg/ Milk etc for the two of us

Thanks

MQ
    • echelon101
    • By echelon101 31st Jan 10, 7:22 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    echelon101
    Can I have 80 please of which I am now

47.87 spent so far on big Tesco shop
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = 55.87 / 80
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 31st Jan 10, 8:10 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    1st spend for Feb 65.07 ( online shop with 10 voucher ), will need bread and fresh fruit and veg still this week

budgeting 100 a week for all household, food , milkman, toiletries, takeaways (occasional)
    Last edited by sistercas; 31-01-2010 at 8:14 AM.
    • skilly
    • By skilly 31st Jan 10, 8:34 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    morning all,please can i be put down for feb 350.00 thankyou.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • highland fling
    Good morning all,

well due to me using pork steaks and veg for dinner today from the freezer I will now have some space to freeze the left over lentil soup from yesterday. It will come in handy for a quick lunch at home or I will carry it to work later in the month.

Going on an "under the stair" expedition this morning. This is where I keep my store of tins and jars and other non perishables e.g. toilet rolls, washing powder, washing up liquid etc. I have lost track of what is exactly in there, but I know I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a space for my recent purchases. Therefore I think it is about time I started to use up some of these provisions before I add any more.

Hope everyone has a frugal day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 31st Jan 10, 9:47 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    The other day, I fancied doing some bacon to help eke out the cooked chicken but wanted a 'different' way of presenting it So I:-

Cube potato into dice-sized pieces & par boil till just turning soft, then drain.
    Tip into a roasting tin & stir through chopped raw bacon & sliced onion.
    Lightly spray with oil & into a hot oven for approx 15min till turning brown, then stir it again & another light spritz of oil & back in the oven for around 5min.

I served it with the cold meat, peas & sweetcorn & it was lafferlee The Offspring declared it another hit & we'll try it with grated cheese sprinkled on top next time. Hope you like it.
    The spray oil was from one of those little metal pump dispensers that are sold for dampening your hair & my own veg or sunflower oil inside it so I don't have to keep paying out for 'special' oil
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ChocClare

I served it with the cold meat, peas & sweetcorn & it was lafferlee The Offspring declared it another hit & we'll try it with grated cheese sprinkled on top next time.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I do a version of this, BigMumma - exactly the same as yours, but then I add in mushrooms and halved tomatoes for 5 minutes, then mentally divide the tin into four and break 2 eggs into each "square". Back in the oven until the eggs have set. Makes a complete meal in itself - a lower fat breakfast, really! - and is delish.

ETA: oh, and I also sprinkle the potato-onion-bacon mixture with herbes de provence before I zhuzh it all round - makes it extra yum!
    Last edited by ChocClare; 31-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    • lizziebabe
    • By lizziebabe 31st Jan 10, 10:26 AM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    lizziebabe
    Hi great thread. May I join for the FEB challenge. I have been reading since January and love to hear how everyone has been doing. Not sure how to do the 'signature' though, please could someone enlighten me. Please put me down for
    175. Would like to come in much less but have 2 cats on special food as 1 is a diabetic. So this is for all food, toiletries and the cat food. Many thanks.
  • ChocClare
    LizzieBabe, if you go to the top of the page, you will see Main Site, Forum, User CP, FAQ etc. If you look to the right, you will see Quick Links. Edit Signature is in that - it is pretty straightforward to do (I managed....)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

3,622Users online

Martin's Twitter