Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 82
    • ragz
    • By ragz 27th Jan 10, 9:12 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Have decided I will have to start my Feb challenge early. Wasn't planning to do the next big shop until the weekend but as baby is late it's looking like she'll probably arrive then so I'm going to get it done today.
    We have plenty of food in but it's stuff I had planned so it was easy for DH to cook when baby arrives and I'd rather save it all and buy different things to have for the next few days (makes sense to me lol!).

So, I won't be reducing my total as I'm going to have an extra bum to buy nappies for!

£350 for feb please
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 27th Jan 10, 9:13 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Hi there
    Please can I join in ? I've worked out our monthly budget. I feel more in control now I have the figures. I am recording everything and have allocated £360 per month to start and have been working to this. This includes everything and we're cutting down on the I'll just pop to the shops for some bread moments
    Thanks ever so.
    Originally posted by jollymummy
    Best solution to the bread thing is keep some in the freezer, pref that you bought reduced
    then no popping to the shops and ending up with loads you didn't need. This is what I've done this month and it really helped.
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Keiss 21
    What can I do with seven opened jars of jam?
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    Since your family like jam tarts, why not make lots and freeze them...I am doing this today. I have defrosted some pastry I made before Xmas, making pasties with some it, using roast beef leftovers, lentils and veg. The rest I will use to make jam tarts and freeze some if I end up with lots!!

The fruit loaves in the oven are nearly done, and the pastie filling is cooling, so back to baking in a mo!

Trying to live out of the freezer and cupboards atm, though going out tomoorow night. It's DH's Astronomy Society Annual meal, which we paid for last year...so will seem like a freebie! DS2 will be having pasta cheese from freezer (ofcourse!), still in its glass dish so only will need heating up together with some veg.

Tonight planning on having HM fish & chips...yumm!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Sarah2490
    I really need to get my monthly shopping under control to help clear my debt. Could I join??? for Feb please?

At the moment it works out at around £240 a month so am hoping to cut to £200 for Feb and then lower it until I can manage on £150.

There is only me and my little girl in the house and I know some people will think £200 is a lot but it cost around £50 just for baby formula/nappies/wipes/ext
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 27th Jan 10, 10:12 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Ragz - good luck with the whole baby-having thing. Hope you don't go too far overdue!! I was two weeks over with both of mine, and it really cheesed me off!

Can't for the life of me remember what is for dinner tonight, but that doesn't matter as it's written down on my monthly planner so I know it's sorted. Having been off work with depression recently for 2 months, things like that are really helpful. If stuff is planned out for you, you don't need to think about it or stress about it. Just look at it the night before, to get anything out of the freezer you need to, then you're sorted. And you don't keep needing to go to the shops loads, or go out for dinner cos there's nothing in!!
    Anyhoo, back to work!!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 27th Jan 10, 10:15 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Not related to GC, but SunnyGirl (or someone else who knows!), could you please tell me where to find patterns for the charity knitting you are doing. Worthhile cause, not too expensive to contribute, as my time is free!!!
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    No problem The thread is Knit Your Square to Give Your Share It is a long thread but please don't be put off. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The first post has a link in it to a post with lots of patterns for premature babies where you just choose which item you want to knit. Everyone is also knitting or crocheting 8" squares at the moment for blankets to be made up and given out to various charities. I'll see you over there

Grocery Challenge Stuff now!

Back from shopping and it came to £94.03 leaving me £8.36 for a chicken from Asda so I've come in on budget I'll declare when I've got the said chicken on Friday
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 27th Jan 10, 10:16 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    How about making a Victoria Sponge cake and putting jam in the middle? I'm not quite that bad, only have 3 opened jars but we do eat it on bread. I make my own jam and marmalade and have about 14 jars in the garage, but they've not been opened yet!
    Originally posted by loopychriss
    Thanks for the idea but I forgot to say they don't eat cakes either. I make my own jam too, don't know why!
    I used to keep all those sorts of things in my store, but it has been moved and I have been waiting for 6 months for a roof to be put on the new one. Everything is now packed into the kitchen and far too easily accessible to my family.

BigMumma I think I remember making something like that at school, long time ago. They were a rock bun mix without the fruit and a spoonful of jam in the middle? I might try one batch of them and see how they go down.

Keiss Jam tarts it may have to be. I know DS2 and 3 will eat them.

I vaguely remember a tart that has a pastry base with jam and then an almond mix on top. Might have a look for that too.

I have managed to spend nothing since last Friday but DH and I are going into town soon and we have about five things on the shopping list. Must try to keep to it which is really difficult with DH helping.
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 27th Jan 10, 10:19 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Morning all, been MIA since Friday between being busy with all the family coming over on Sunday and then having a rotten head cold-been off work since Monday, actually spent all day in bed felt so awful.

Feeling slightly better today and plan to go back to work tomorrow.

Sunday went well, food was greatly appreciated by all and there was lots left (mainly roast beef & lamb) portioned up and put into the freezer.

At least being stuck in the house for 3 days means NSDs

Have spent the past half hour catching up with the thread, really should think about getting dressed and doing something

• Keiss 21
    I vaguely remember a tart that has a pastry base with jam and then an almond mix on top. Might have a look for that too.
    I think that is Bakewell Tart you asre thinking of.....a good idea though as I found some ground almonds yesterday, lurking in a cupboard...mmmm, more ideas to use the mass of pastry I have!! You can make mini ones ...essentially jam tarts with sponge on top!

Oh, I am off to find my Bero recipe book (1982 edition)!

Oh, there are a few recipes: Maids of Honour; Butter Tartlets; Oysters and Macaroons...oh the decisions!!
    Last edited by Keiss 21; 27-01-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Adding recipe comments in red

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Mellyd
    HI

PLEASE can I join this challange as we spend far too much on groceries...over £500 a month!!!

There's only 3 of us!!! I'll try to start realistically with £400 for February!

Thanks
    Mellyd
    Last edited by Mellyd; 27-01-2010 at 3:36 PM.
    MFW 2010 No. 145 £449/600
    Mortgage @ 1.4.10 £206,475.19
    Sealed Pot Challenge No. 908

Savings Challenge £0/£4500
  • BlimusOreilly
    Just done the last weekly shop for January which came in at £38.84 leaving me well under budget
    My freezer stores are running a bit low and I need to stock up at the Asian supermarket but that will be in Feb now, so I'll worry about that then.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• brodie1
    jammy buns
    Thanks for the idea but I forgot to say they don't eat cakes either. I make my own jam too, don't know why!
    I used to keep all those sorts of things in my store, but it has been moved and I have been waiting for 6 months for a roof to be put on the new one. Everything is now packed into the kitchen and far too easily accessible to my family.

BigMumma I think I remember making something like that at school, long time ago. They were a rock bun mix without the fruit and a spoonful of jam in the middle? I might try one batch of them and see how they go down.

Keiss Jam tarts it may have to be. I know DS2 and 3 will eat them.

I have managed to spend nothing since last Friday but DH and I are going into town soon and we have about five things on the shopping list. Must try to keep to it which is really difficult with DH helping.

Hi,
    jammy buns my dhs favourite, and they can be frozen to.
    8oz sr flour,pinchof salt and a pince of mix spice,2oz marg,2oz sugar, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 tablesps jam, sugar for dusting after.
    I find putting the jam in the middle the fiddly bit. As they are DHs fav and hes not had them for a few weeks I thinkI will go and do some later.
    Tea tonight use up loeft over pesto, something pasta fied I think and slo cooker rice pud.
    Brodie 1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • RuthG
    Had to buy some milk locally this morning at £1.40 for 4 pints. I can get it for 95p at Aldi but OH had finished off the last of the bottle last night and I had a client coming this morning. When I found out there was no milk, I didnt have time to go to Aldi (would normally walk there but as it's three miles each way, seemed too far to do in less than an hour!)

But that seems to be all Im spending this week. Dont really need anything else. Takes my monthly spend to £55.02, so not too bad I guess. However, not posting monthly total just yet as you never know, I might find I have run out of something else!

So put me down for the same next month £200, as I dont think these loads of NSDs are going to last somehow.

Ruth
    Sealed pot challenge no 889: £143.96 saved
    DayDream fund: £931.82
    GC JAN£62.58/£200;Feb £100.39/£200
    NSD Jan 18/30; Feb 20/27
    Ideal weight:aim 8st7lbs; weigh in Mondays: started Jan 2010; so far: 3lbs/23lbs
  • jo_assisi
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to MSE, but am loving all the great ideas. I would really like to join this challenge starting in February, I have saved all my receipts from January and was a bit shocked to see that I spent £148 on groceries, am very guilty of the 'pop to the shop for milk' and end up spending £40!
    So, could I .................

join the February challenge with a budget of £100.

Many thanks

Jo
  • rosieben

Hi,
    jammy buns my dhs favourite, and they can be frozen to.
    8oz sr flour,pinchof salt and a pince of mix spice,2oz marg,2oz sugar, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 tablesps jam, sugar for dusting after.
    Originally posted by brodie1
    Jammy buns recipe in the front page list, thanks brodie
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 27th Jan 10, 12:56 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    I have managed a staggering 4 NSDs so I am feeling pleased with myself.

I have a query. What can I do with seven opened jars of jam? We had 14 jars of jam in the fridge when I cleaned out today.

My family don't eat jam on toast or in sandwiches, don't eat puddings except on Sundays. I have put some in a marinade for pork chops, made jam tarts but now I am stumped. Can you help me please?
    We have a few jars of home-made jam that didn't set as well as usual. We mix with a little stewed apple and serve on top of creamy natural yoghurt. It makes a delicious dessert. You could even just use the jam on its own. Alternatively, make a quick stove-top rice pudding and dollop some jam onto that - all on Sunday pudding days of course

Jam goes well as a kind of cranberry jelly with meats too
  • peetzil39
    Hi,
    Just remembered we were meant to put out totals in red!!! Sorry - my budget for Feb is £411.67

Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax £4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA £6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco £2500
    O/D £3000
  • Long tall sally
    Well I have failed. I knew I was getting very close to my target but ended up spending another £33 odd today. This month seems to be going on for ever! I did need a few things and would probably stil be slightly over with just those things but ended up buying a few extras whilst I was at Mr T's because otherwise I would have to go again Monday after work.

I am trying to console / reason with myself that it's not really that bad as I know a few weeks ago I bought some plates and a new steamer which I included in my spends and if I took these out I would probably be ok. Also OH & I get paid on the last day of the month so presumed that this month we wouldn't get paid till Monday but it may actually be Friday and the shopping that I bought today could probably have waited till then. But then I thought Stop making excuses, accept that you have failed and hopefully February will be a better and easier month.

Sorry for the ramble and Mrs M, (hello to you) could I please try again for £450 for February, thanks.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • cuffey
    • By cuffey 27th Jan 10, 1:26 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    cuffey
    Just been to Marx and bought 2 lamb shoulder joints and a gammon joint for £10 which is a reasonable saving on what they would normally cost. My total spend has crept up - but I'm still well under my generous budget. I'm going to leave it where it is for now though, because there will come a point where I need to stock up, and psychologically I need to know I can if I need to!

I think the only thing left for me this month is the milk direct debit which will go out on Friday.
  • clairey45
    That's a sensible idea I forget exists... I don't live near a big store so do frequent small shops. Really need to start adding up what I spend..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,047Posts Today

6,031Users online

Martin's Twitter