Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you give debt collectors someone's address?
    • 25th Jan 10, 4:43 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you give debt collectors someone's address? 25th Jan 10 at 4:43 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you give debt collectors someone's address?

You've just moved into a new rental property, and note a steam of debt letters for the previous tenant, threatening legal action from utility companies, parking tickets and more. You're worried bailiffs may turn up. Through friends of friends you know you can get the prior tenant's address. Would you pass them on to the debt collectors or just write 'return to sender'?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 26-01-2010 at 7:55 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 26th Jan 10, 9:12 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:12 PM
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:12 PM
    Do unto others etc.

I wouldn't want anyone passing on my details, I certainly wouldn't do it to anyone else. Shopping someone to a debt collector is on a par with shopping them to the police.
    • Stinkybell
    • By Stinkybell 26th Jan 10, 9:27 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Stinkybell
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:27 PM
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:27 PM
    Have actually had this happen to me - spoke to the landlord about it loads (it was one of his pals who lived here with him before we moved in) and he refused to give us an address to forward things onto so we just keep sending things to the landlord now! That said when the court summons came we opened it and explained the situation to the court... and checked with my policeman friend that we wouldn't be getting any nasty visitors!

That said I'd never send the address to the companies, just forward on the post
    Student Loan
    2006:9130.86 2007:12,286.36 2008:14,792.15 2009:14,234.48 2010:13,249.45 2011:11,835.74 2012:??????? 2013:7976.45 2014:5745.30

Student Loan Free Date: November 2016!
    • concerned43
    • By concerned43 26th Jan 10, 9:31 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    concerned43
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:31 PM
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:31 PM
    just send them back in the post "not known at this address"
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 26th Jan 10, 9:39 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:39 PM
    • 26th Jan 10, 9:39 PM
    just send them back in the post "not known at this address"
    Originally posted by concerned43
    That's what I do too. I live in a shared flat in a block where there seem to be a lot of debt collection letters coming for previous tenants and once a month, anything not collected from our communal hall I just post back to the sender.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • *Louise*
    • By *Louise* 27th Jan 10, 12:00 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    *Louise*
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:00 AM
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:00 AM
    'Not at this address' and return them

I would never pass on someone's details.

I wouldn't worry about Bailiffs - I would have ID so they would know it wasn't my debts
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
    • Denebola
    • By Denebola 27th Jan 10, 12:18 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Denebola
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:18 AM
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:18 AM
    yes i would..... i believe that if i've spent the money.... i should pay it off......
    Reality check: 11th March 2013
    Total unsecured debt: 24786
    DMP applied for: March 2013
    DFD: May 2018
    • littlerat
    • By littlerat 27th Jan 10, 12:43 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    littlerat
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:43 AM
    • 27th Jan 10, 12:43 AM
    Do unto others etc.

I wouldn't want anyone passing on my details, I certainly wouldn't do it to anyone else. Shopping someone to a debt collector is on a par with shopping them to the police.
    Originally posted by scotsbob

No, not really, I'd say it's worse.

If it's police and they're innocent it'll be easy to sort (999/1000 times), if they're guilty for all I know they could be a serial killer, so I'd tell the cops.

However debt collectors can be after someone for all sorts of things, may not even be their fault, wouldn't want to assist them in any way.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 27th Jan 10, 7:59 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 27th Jan 10, 7:59 AM
    • 27th Jan 10, 7:59 AM
    I would re-address the mail but refer any callers to the solicitors who had handled the house sale.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • jizadine
    • By jizadine 27th Jan 10, 8:51 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    jizadine
    We bought our house in 2008 and the previous owners told us they were temporarily moving in with one of their parents, in a house they actually "owned" but rented it out to them. Anyway... We have been getting their post sent to our house for over a year now and we just return to sender unless there is no return addresss.

A few months back we had a couple of chaps turn up at our house asking for them claiming they were representing "mortgage express" and the outstanding mortgage arrears on this other house they "owned"! We politely told them not to bother us again and gave them the story that the previous occupiers told us and suggested they should go and ask the people at this other address what is going on. Since then we haven't had any more callers but the letters still come from the "mortgage express" (among others) and they all go straight back in the post.

You never know, one day they may eventually stop........
  • madmandy
    debt collector
    YES I WOULD!!!!

We rent out properties and a past tenant owed us thousands and had all sorts of debts too, but sadly she was too good at it and got away with everything, we even used an agency to reclaim money and she fobbed them off. We have been badly bitten by people with debts and would not hesitate to pass on any info!

Some people need help with their debts, but some almost have no hesitation in running up debt and walking away!
    • kalimai
    • By kalimai 27th Jan 10, 9:39 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kalimai
    Never, we have had loads of bills/chasing letters for the previous owners, even up to 4 years later. All are just returned to sender. If baliffs came round they have no right to enter without the police and a quick check of the electoral register would easily prove that those people no longer live here.

Having been in debt and had baliffs knock on the door, I would never let anyone else experience that.
  • farang
    Yes, absolutely.
    Why should people use services and buy goods and then not have to pay for them.
    If you can not afford it don't buy it.
    In the end it is those that pay their bills that end up paying for those that don't.
  • Dave101t
    i would, its got nothing to do with 'would you like it if someone else did that to you' as i would accept the consequences of my actions. they are cheating, and probably cheating at public funds to boot.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • MORPH3US
    Do unto others etc. ...... <snip> shopping them to the police.
    Surely you can see the huge dose of irony in that comment....

Anyway back to the OP, this has happened to me in the past but I didn't know the persons address so I did as most others have said and "returned to sender" which incidentally they completely ignore....

However if that wasn't an option then yes I would pass on the persons address... they ran up the debt so they should deal with the consequences whatever they may be.
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 27th Jan 10, 10:06 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    No, I wouldn't. It's absolutely none of my business. I would write "moved away" on letters and return them to sender. Any bailiffs that turned up would be politely sent on their way again and they can take up the matter with the police/landlord/whoever.

I wouldn't wish to get caught up in anyone else's mess.
    • Cloudane
    • By Cloudane 27th Jan 10, 10:17 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Cloudane
    Probably not. I'm not bothered about the bayliffs - I'm innocent and have ID, so why should I be. But more importantly I don't know this person and what they did to get into that kind of trouble. Sure it's probably just consumer debt, but what if they're involved with something of a more criminal nature. Either it makes it more certain that you should tell them, or more certain that you should leave the heck alone. I'm in the latter camp - it's not worth getting involved and possibly ending up on someone's hit-list for siding with the wrong people.

As for moralising about consumer debt (if that's the issue) I'm sure many people on debt reduction areas of this forum would argue (rightly, IMO) that it's not necessarily their fault, or if it is it was through plain old foolishness rather than done purposefully. It doesn't make it right, but I don't think I could pass the address on. I don't really believe in casting judgement upon people from some high horse position - it's not my place, and there are all sorts of fitting clich!s about the unlikelihood of any human being being "without sin" that make the idea a little uncomfortable.
    • creased-leach
    • By creased-leach 27th Jan 10, 10:19 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 1,799 Thanks
    creased-leach
    Yes, I would.

A friend of ours rents out a couple of properties. One lot of his tenants fell behind by months in the rent, and when they eventually moved on under threat of eviction they left behind a string of debts...and trashed the house.

They owed the water board a fair sum- but convinced them that the water rates were the landlords responsibility. They weren't. However, our friend had a CCJ against him for the water rates- it affected his credit rating, caused him all sorts of hassle, and cost him time & money to sort out.

Astoundingly, the same people are now living just four doors away from his other rental place in the same town...
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • gerryh
    I always pass the details on. Unpaid debt gets passed on to honest bill payers by way of higher bills.
  • FATBALLZ
    Do unto others etc.

Too right, if I knew a serial rapist it would be morally unacceptable to shop them to the police, who am I to infringe his rights by passing on his details? Crimewatch on BBC is a disgusting programme. Shopping some dodgy sponger who doesn't bother to pay back money they borrowed is just as dispicable.
    Last edited by FATBALLZ; 27-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,776Posts Today

7,226Users online

Martin's Twitter