Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 70
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 20th Jan 10, 3:35 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Sorry about last post hands playing up again
    Brodie1
    Originally posted by brodie1
    It made perfect sense to me. You can't help it so don't apologise
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • ragz
    • By ragz 20th Jan 10, 3:42 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Oops, another 15 spend in co-op. Did get 2 loaves of bread for 20p each and 2 packs of oven bottom muffins for 20p each and pack of rolls for 20p, which as I'd planned on buying bread and rolls anyway isn't too bad.
    BOught part bake baguettes even though we don't need them as they were 50p a pack...
    4 pack of Tango/7up is 1 (I don't usually drink fizzy pop but stocking up for labour!) and jsut realised tango is nearly half the sugar of fanta...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • Nessa56
    • By Nessa56 20th Jan 10, 3:51 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    Nessa56
    I

BTW, is there a weight loss forum here somewhere? I have been looking but cant seem to find one.

Ruth
    Originally posted by BenW
    this one is quite good hope my link works not very good at doing them

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2210165&highlight=slimming+world

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 20th Jan 10, 3:52 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    4 pack of Tango/7up is 1 (I don't usually drink fizzy pop but stocking up for labour!) and jsut realised tango is nearly half the sugar of fanta...
    Originally posted by ragz
    Just in case you have a Netto nearby they are currently doing a 6 pack of Fanta and Tango for 1.49. Got to keep your energy levels up it's not called labour for nothing
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
  • Rachel021967
    Sorry can't find who wanted to know but the Old Style board has its own Weight loss the old style way. I haven't been on there for a while but I found them to be very supportive.
    • mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 20th Jan 10, 4:26 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    Hey there.

Had a trip to Mr S today for some bits. Spent 19.03.

I am looking ok so far for the monthly budget.

Will go off & update sig.

Oh, I go on the slimming world diet forum, I am following the SW plan!

Lisa
    • pammyj74
    • By pammyj74 20th Jan 10, 4:27 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    pammyj74
    just signing in to update sig

total so far 75.56

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ 82,377 Dec 13 ~ 29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 20th Jan 10, 4:35 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    Spent 85p on a cabbage in Sainsbury's. I understand its a good source of iron. So I made a coleslaw. Also had a Tesco delivery totaling 73.57.
    Off to update signature.
    Originally posted by Rachel021967
    Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable. Our keeps in the fridge for ages and we keep hacking chunks off for various meals.
  • rosieben
    Sorry about last post hands playing up again
    Brodie1
    Originally posted by brodie1
    as SunnyGirl said, it was perfectly understandable so please dont feel you need to apologise; anyway, we all make mistakes - I make loads when I have a lot to say, I can't type as fast as I can think!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Zend
    January Grocery Challenge
    Grocery shop of 89 this week, but I have bought food that will last us for some time so hopefully just milk to buy next week.
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 20th Jan 10, 6:06 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Went to Morrisons yesterday as needed milk and also picked up a TV guide and a stew pack, so a total of 2.23. Had a walk into town when I got home tonight to get a newspaper so that was 35p.

Doing quite well so far and finally picked up some chicken breasts my sister bought for me back in September (that I have been trying to make room in my freezer for), so they will make some meals for next week.

Got my gas bill through today and am pleasantly surprised, so won't worry if I need to put the heating on again now. Off to have some stew now, it smells yummy!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • poppy-glos
    nipped into mr t on an errand ten minutes ago, got the following whoopsies,

2 x 4 childrens muller yugurts, 8p each origional price 1.58 each
    2 xlittle dish korma and rice, 23p each, origional price 2.29 each
    wedge of swede, reduced to 5p from 50p
    loaf of bread , 1.22 reduced to 12 p
    deli rolls (4), reduced from 76 p to 8p.

so total origional cost of 10.22 bought for 87p.

(i may have wasted 46 p as dd might not be impressed with the korma and although organic etc very pricy for a couple of tablespoons - thought she might like it as a snack - but she's just as happy with a banana and they are only 10 - 15 p each when not on whoopsie!)
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • cookiedough38
    Mr T came this evening and a spend of 33.75, will just need fruit, bread and milk next week
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - 214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - 100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - 2600/3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
    • laurasavon
    • By laurasavon 20th Jan 10, 8:01 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    laurasavon
    Two more spends for me this week a 9.29 and a 4.82

We've got the in-laws for tea tomorrow and mine for tea Friday so hopefully we'll get return invites soon

We've also got a food day at work tomorrow so had to get a few things for that
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft 9,500 / Credit Cards 5,000 / Loan 9,500 / Mortgage 128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft 0 / Credit Card 0 / Loan 0 / Mortgage 125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft 7,000 / Mortgage 115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • TheBees
    OMG Just did a quick menu plan and a MrT online shop for delivery on Friday. The total's come to over 100 but that includes enough meals right up to the 31st. A couple days ago I was feeling very confident but now I'm wondering if we'll just scrape through on target. Oh well, just have to see what gets delivered and once some of the offers have gone through it could be slightly less.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 20th Jan 10, 8:43 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi folks! Another NSD for me. Have decided to put off shopping till Saturday as I have to be at work by 11 tomorrow and it is just too much of a rush. I have a bolognese sauce for tomorrow night and will defrost some prawns to do with jacket potatoes on Friday.

We had chicken breasts tonight cooked in honey and orange juice. The original recipe came from a student cookbook I bought for my DD2 but I can't remember which one. Anyway here's the recipe:

Moniker's Honey and Orange Chicken
    2 chicken breasts
    2tsp runny honey
    2tbsp orange juice

Wash the chicken breasts and cut off any fatty or stringy bits. Place in a shallow oven proof dish. Spread the honey over the chicken and pour over the orange juice. Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade for at least a couple of hours in the fridge (overnight is even better). Remove the clingfilm and cover loosely with foil and cook in a moderate oven 180 C or gas mark 4 for 20-30 minutes depending of the thickness of the chicken - making sure that the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer. You may like to uncover for the last 5 minutes to brown a bit but don't over do it or the meat will dry out. I served this with creamy mash, steamed carrots and courgettes but any veg will go really. I think the book said if you were really lazy or hungry you could just wack it between two slices of bread for a really great sandwich!

DH really liked it and it was quick and easy to do. Enjoy!

Moniker
  • KITTY
    Wednesday 20th
    Managed another NSD that makes 9 this month which is the most I've had since last summer

Can't do it again tomorrow as we need milk and bread, plus some more fruit and salad stuff, but hope to keep it quite low.

I'll catch up with the posts since last night now.

Keep going everyone not long to the end of the month now

Merry Christmas
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 20th Jan 10, 11:43 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I eneded up baking 2 loaves in the BM last night as I knew one just wouldn't be enough. For some reason they turned out better than normal. My conclusion being that I used hotter water and less yeast! A lesson for the future!
    We had our spag bog which I made with quorn last nigh-tastier today as its been soaking up the flavours in the fridge overnight/today. Went to Waitrose and stocked up on bread and I was very lucky getting 5 large warburtons for just 19p each and a couple of french sticks-wholemeal for 35p each. Also a largeish bag of spuds 2..5kg I thin reduced-reds-they are very nice I think. A few other bitsnbobs also reduced and a nice Raymond Blanc cake for 1.09 instead of 2.99. Spent just over 13 all together-will update sig later. Took HM sarnies(doorsteps)into work as planned. May have a frozen meal from the freezer tomorrow if Im working long enough. Trying to make the restof the money last the next 10 days. Having some pork chops from the freezer tomoro night with either baked pots or some of the reds sliced and boiiled-skins on. Ive got some petits pois in the freezer to add to it-I am rather fussy about my peas! Rarely bother with pudds-fill up on main course instead.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • SilverCo
    Hi everyone

Will be another NSD for me (two in a row - woohoo!) as still stuck at home with bloomin' painful shoulder! Dinner last night was courtesy of my lovely mother who took pity on us as DH was working late and I couldn't move!

Got a pleasant surprise in the post yesterday morning, I had sent off for a 5 cash back offer before Christmas after buying a de-humidifier. Had forgotten all about it until now, but the company were good to their word and sent the money. Couldn't believe they sent a 5 note in the post, but I'm not complaining! Now how to spend/save the money...

Have a good day everyone!

Silver x
    1st LBM 21.12.09 Total Debt - 21049.95.
    Final LBM 16.8.13 Total Debt - 16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts!
    SPC Member #1182
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 21st Jan 10, 9:51 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Im just back on the thread after about 6 mths absence due to illness. I love this callenge as it keeps me focussed on what I have in my cupboard/freezer an stops me buying willy nilly! I've got back in to baking/cooking so Ive got a good stash of HM goodies in freezer - feel very virtuous!
    Just back from Asda, was 3 over weekly budget but not too worried as that included a 5kg bag of Bakers dog food for the "master of our house". Over all Im still 30 under for the month so very happy. Have planned out next weeks dinners so other than milk and f&v we should be ok. Am putting any savings on a Christmas Savings Card at Asda, as I'm determined to have some dosh saved for the end of the year and not be caught short -
    Mainly I popped on to say thanks to you all for your inspiring posts - your stories and tips are great!

Have a lovely day everyone x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,719Users online

Martin's Twitter