Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 63
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 16th Jan 10, 9:12 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    thanks to you helen

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • elizabunny
    Evening everyone

Just to let you know..........MrsM will be back doing the thread from Feb. I have enjoyed helping out for the last couple of months and you have all been very helpful and friendly so a big

THANK YOU

To you all

I'll keep posting budgets till the end of the month and then thats me done with the budgets although I will still be doing the challenge.

Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly

THANK YOU Helen for running things so efficiently over the past few months. (Hope your DH is feeling better now)

I was planning on a NSD today but DH bought a packet of biccies:rolleyes: Nevermind I'll try again tomorrow.

By the way my dog is much better now and off the prescription diet so that will help on the money front (Although I do not include her food in our GC budget)

Hoping to keep within budget this month at least we should have enough loo roll to see us through -we have around 30 in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Very quickie tea tonight as we had a really busy de-cluttering day -egg and chips.....yummy.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 16th Jan 10, 9:58 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Helen, just to say that while it will be lovely to have MrsM back among us, you have been a great stand in
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    Like to echo the above - well done Helen

• mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 16th Jan 10, 10:15 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    Evening all!

Spent 21.22 today & sig updated.

Did a freezer/pantry inventory today & have done a menu plan so I don't need much food this week!

Lisa
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 16th Jan 10, 11:08 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 13,538 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    We've decided to visit my parents for a few days next week, not sure how long, it'll depend on the weather. As a result my sister is having this weeks organic veg box and my budget has received a 10 credit signature updated.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Jan 10, 6:08 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 49,173 Thanks
    nmlc
    Morning all

Just a quick update on the spends, did shop at MrA and the butchers so spent more than I wanted but have good stocks of most things now, so next week should be a cheaper week! (she says in eternal hope!!!). Bought several items that were on offer so have saved money in the long term but just doesn't feel like it at the moment. Have menu planned for this next week so should be able to not spend too much - will have to wait and see! Now going to update my signature.

Keep safe and well everyone.
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Girl least likely to
    Morning All

After a really good week of NSD's I kind of let myself down in the big Tesco's yesterday by spending 75.96 . I forgot my list . I got lured by the wipes and nappies on offer and they had loads of freezable meat in the whoopsie section. So all usable stuff but it all could have been so much easier if I'd taken and stuck to my list.................

On the brighter side I have a stuffed freezer, no need to buy nappies or wipes until next month and I've spent half my budget half way into the month. Need to concentrate for the rest of the month :rolleyes:. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend .
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 17th Jan 10, 8:31 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,260 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Happily I am able to report another NSD yesterday and likely another one for today as I really doubt we're going anywhere. I can't stop coughing, so I don't want to However, didn't spend anything yesterday, and not likely to today or tomorrow. This is, I think, the most NSDs I've ever had. I'm chuffed with that.

I do want to find out whether there are any offers on fresh veg, as we could do with some more of those. I'll then pick which supermarket to go shopping at on Tuesday. As long as I stick to the list, I have a chance of staying within budget!

Tea tonight will be enchiladas as I don't want to cook and they won't take long. Have a good day, everyone.

Kitchenbunny xx

• theduchesshavoc
    • By theduchesshavoc 17th Jan 10, 8:39 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    theduchesshavoc
    75/60 with a fortnight to go... FAIL! Will try harder next month. And maybe put my limit at 75.
    POO - TEE - WEET
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 17th Jan 10, 8:42 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Morning everyone, i've been mia for most of the month, been a bit mad here lately so i've just popped on to update my spends and to ask you all a question if i may.

Firstly my spends are still going fairly well, still well under budget, but i'd still like to try and cut back a tad more if i could.

Secondly to my question. Over the next couple of months money is going to be a bit tighter than normal, hence me wanting to cut back. Do you find you save more shopping in one place (taking a list and sticking to it) or taking advantage of other shops offers (planning meals around the offers)? I'm lucky as we have a lge tesco, asda, morrisons and sainburys all fairly close to us, plus an aldi and netto.
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 17th Jan 10, 8:47 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Fan-Que Helen & don't disappear cuz with your knowledge, I'll still be picking your brains for directions to where-ever I should be lookin
    Question Please..:rolleyes: does MrM change their offers on a Monday? I know Messers S, SF & T are Weds-Tues but not so sure on other stores. Was wondering about taking a little trip to our closest MrM tomorrow [eight miles away ] & if there is anything I should look out for offer wise. I used to belong to fixtureferret & had access to wonderful lists of who had what on offer, but they changed their payment method & I didn't renew my subs last time
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• theduchesshavoc
    • By theduchesshavoc 17th Jan 10, 9:45 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    theduchesshavoc
    Fan-Que Helen & don't disappear cuz with your knowledge, I'll still be picking your brains for directions to where-ever I should be lookin
    Question Please..:rolleyes: does MrM change their offers on a Monday? I know Messers S, SF & T are Weds-Tues but not so sure on other stores. Was wondering about taking a little trip to our closest MrM tomorrow [eight miles away ] & if there is anything I should look out for offer wise. I used to belong to fixtureferret & had access to wonderful lists of who had what on offer, but they changed their payment method & I didn't renew my subs last time
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I'm not certain but Morrison's 3 WW soups for a pound was ending on the 17th, which is today, a Sunday, so if all offers change on the same day then Monday it is.
    POO - TEE - WEET
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 17th Jan 10, 10:33 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi everyone,
    well i`m afraid that i`m guilty of not keeping up with all the posts again so i shall have go go back a few pages later to see where i last read up to.

I am however doing ok DH has just rung me to ask where the shopping list is as he is shopping today whilst i`m working and i`ve just told him that all we need is milk

I`ve spent most of this months money very early on in the month so we are just topping up as and when, think i`ve improved on last weeks list which was just for milk, dogfood and potatoes, don`t think Dh can believe it lol.

Helen Jelly - You`ve done a fantastic job, MrsM - welcome back

Off to catch up now.

Good luck peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 17th Jan 10, 10:49 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Secondly to my question. Over the next couple of months money is going to be a bit tighter than normal, hence me wanting to cut back. Do you find you save more shopping in one place (taking a list and sticking to it) or taking advantage of other shops offers (planning meals around the offers)? I'm lucky as we have a lge tesco, asda, morrisons and sainburys all fairly close to us, plus an aldi and netto.
    Originally posted by nickynoo08
    Personally, nickynoo, I have found in recent months that shopping around has saved me money but I still stick to my list and meal plans. As I wrote earlier, I now spend more in Aldi than I do in my regular shop Morrisons and also have been buying a few things from Lidl if they are on offer.

Morrisons for me was always and still is the easy (or is that lazy ) option as it's not a huge store, I know my way around and can get the shopping done fairly quickly but Aldi and Lidl have better veg & fruit prices imo and I have even started buying fresh meat from Aldi which has been fine and mostly cheaper too, so go there first and to Morrisons for what I still want that Aldi don't stock.

Probably the best advice is to have done your homework, know who has the best offers (for which these threads are of course invaluable) and shop accordingly.

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Jan 10, 11:12 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Originally posted by nickynoo08
    Why not try comparing the list on MySupermarket (http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/)? They don't include Morrissons but at least it will give you an idea of which is the cheapest.

Moniker
  • HowlinWolf
    Abel and Cole have sent me a 10 voucher off a 20 spend for next month so I'm going to save that up and buy some nice fruit with it and maybe a bit of veg. Will wait until after payday so that it comes out of next month's budget.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
  • poppy-glos
    i've just made lunch out of what i had in and went down so well thought i'd post it here, it's a nick nairn adapted recipe for smoked haddock tart, (without smoked haddock or pastry ) being as i made it with what i had here, and opted for pasty free, this is what i used

lentil/fish/parmesan/coriander 'tarts'

2 oz dried green lentils, with
    half an onion and
    half a chicken stock cube brought to boil and simmered for 20 mins. ( i made double - the other half is in freezer ready for next time)
    drain, mix into this
    salt and pepper,
    3 eggs,
    a tin of tuna (drained),
    1oz grated parmesan and
    3 tablespoons chopped leaf and stalk of corriander (from freezer - bought as whoopsie). then spooned into little silicon cake cases and baked for 15 mins until cooked through.

with the coriander at 15 p on a whoopsie i recon the recipe cost about 1.50 in ingredients, would probalby cost about 2.00 if had to pay full price for the corriander, plus i know that lentils can't be bought from the supermarket in 2oz amounts.

I make them sometimes for dd's lunchbox, when i do have smoked haddock then this is cooked and flaked and added instead of the tuna. the origional recipe calls for some cream so if i have any in i add a dash of this too..

using the mini cake cases today i made 21 tarts, and half of them have gone for lunch for the two of us with carrot sticks and hm wedges. dd has eaten extra to the four on her plate and as i am trying to box them for lunches later in the week she is asking for more instead of pudding.. .
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Long tall sally
    Nickynoo - I would agree with ellemm - it certainly pays to shop around, particularly if you can bulk buy the offers in each shop that have a long shelf life BUT you do need to obviously take care not to be tempted into buying other things that you wouldn't normally even buy (like I do sometimes!) in each & every shop you shop in. For example, I do half of my shopping in Mr T's but would never buy milk or chocolate bars there as they are always far cheaper in Farm Foods or Home Bargains or Iceland. It can be a bit time consuming though and I can only manage to shop around like this because I currently only work part time.
    Anyway, I have managed to be quite good the last few days & have just updated my signature with a small spend of 6.87 on f & v & bread. I do habe enough food to last the month but my problem is that we normally have spag bol or cottage pie once a week cos these are dead certs in terms of the kids eating them but I don't think I have any mince left but I do have other things so I suppose I should just try the kids with these. E.g the kids are at their Dad's today & there is a huge leg of lamb cooking at the moment just for me & OH, so there will be loads left over from that but the kids have never, ever tried lamb before!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • russetred
    • By russetred 17th Jan 10, 12:10 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Just on to play catchee uppie with the posts.Good to hear Mrs M is coming back.A huge thank you to Helen Jelly for an absolutely fabulous job.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 17th Jan 10, 1:04 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Thank you Helen for all you have done.

This month I still have 125 left of my grocery budget as my brother paid for the shopping when was staying here. I have just seven days until my 'month' ends too.
    Grocery challenge 75/250 business mortgage 13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan 7116=Total of 20914, 69% paid off was 68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received 11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. 0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,463Users online

Martin's Twitter