Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 57
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jan 10, 6:38 AM
    • 16,735 Posts
    • 143,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    well a NSD today for me as I only have to go out to take DGS to dentist this afternoon and no shops nearby to tempt me.Tomorrow I have a history afternoon in Gillingham, so I will drop into Aldi's to have a look at their super six offers.Its usually the only time I go near there as its only a few minutes away from Adult-ed place.I do like their inexpensive fruit and veg though and may stock up a little on veg for soups ect. I am so pleased that I have cut back so much with being stuck indoors because of the weather. I am getting so that I will really only buy what's essential at the moment and utilising what's in the freezer more
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ceebeeby
    • By ceebeeby 14th Jan 10, 9:15 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 10,773 Thanks
    ceebeeby
    Archive of Week Commencing 11/01/10
    Grocery Spend was £14.22, however, £5.31 of that was on pets!!!

What's in the store!

Freezer
    1 packets of uncooked diced turkey
    12 'best' lincolnshire sausages
    2 good for you garlic baguettes
    Irish fruit loaf
    2 x bread/ crumpets / pancakes / pkt pitta / bread.
    ½ pkt frozen chips
    ½ pkt frozen green beans ¼ pkt left
    Loads of ice-lollies!
    2 Birds Eye Chicken Steaks
    2 Birds Eye Chicken Burgers
    Full pkt veggie mince ½ pkt veggie mince
    Full pkt veggie bacon bits
    3 pkts fish pie sauce 2 pkts left
    1 microwave meals (spag bol)
    1 pkt smoky bacon
    1 black pudding
    Pork Bolognaise Pasta – already made up – enough for 2 meals - 1 meal left
    2 x Chicken Fajita’s made up.
    1 portion left over Turkey Curry and Rice
    Frozen Lemon Chicken Sauce
    Huge lump of cheese
    1/2 bag of frozen strawberries

Fridge
    4l milk - 1l watered down to skimmed
    salad stuff
    Jam / Lemon Curd
    Beer!
    Lots of Marg / Butter / Trex
    Tub of pate - use by 21st Jan

Cupboards
    Pasta Shapes ½ pkt left
    Dried Spagetti - large packet
    2 x pkt savoury rice
    2 tins soup (1 veggy, 1 meat)
    4 tins beans - 3 tins bean
    1 tin meatballs
    2 tins spagetti
    1 tin tomatos
    1 tin chick peas
    4 tins rice pudding 2 tins
    4 tins sliced peaches 2 tins
    ½ pkt of long grain rice
    1 pkt value pre-ready pasta
    9 pkts value noodles (kids favourite stuff!)
    1 small jar dolmio pasta sauce
    Medium Amount cereal (weetabix, bran flakes, rice crispies, frosties)
    Tea / Coffee / Hot Chocolate
    All sorts of home baking stuff incl. 2 jars mincemeat – running low on Plain Flour
    Herbs /spices / gravy / stock cubes / Ketchups (every flavour) (lots)
    chilli sauce
    sweet and sour sauce
    2 pkts stuffing
    4 pkts instant custard 2 pkts custard
    Biscuits / chocolate / Xmas Pud / Mince Pies / Sweets galore
    2 pkts chicken soup
    2 pkts instant cheese sauce
    40 pkts crisps! 30 pkts crisps
    A smidgen of drinking squash
    8kg Potatos

Meal Plan So Far

Mon 11th Jan
    B'Fast: Porridge for kids and me. / Cereal himself
    Lunch: home-made tortilla wraps with jam / lemon curd / peanut butter filling
    Dinner: home-made burger mince meat balls and mash potato.
    Tues 12th Jan
    B' Fast: Crumpets for kids / Cereal for Adults
    Lunch: Sandwiches – rest of tuna with mayo.
    Dinner: black pudding and smoky bacon with fried potato and beans - BIG FAVOURITE
    Rice pudding and peaches.
    Wed 13th Jan
    B'Fast: Crumpets for kids / Cereal for Adults
    Lunch: Packet soup for Adults / Wraps for kids – cheese spread
    Dinner: Micro Dinners x 2 / Kids had noodles (v unhealthy!)
    Thursday 14th Jan
    B'Fast: Cereal
    Lunch: Sandwiches - ham
    Dinner: Soup for kids and me with any bready things. / Left over curry portion for himself
    Friday 15th Jan
    B'Fast: Toast
    Lunch: Sandwiches (boring!) – anything that’s left!
    Dinner: Home made pizza and popcorn
    Saturday 16th Jan
    B'Fast: Porridge / Crumpets
    Lunch: pitta pockets
    Dinner: Sausage casserole with mash
    Sun 17th Jan
    B'Fast: Porridge / Toast
    Lunch: 2 x chicken fajita’s made up for himself
    Home made fajitas with veg / chicken burgers for me and kids
    ½ pkt chips
    Dinner: Spagetti on toast
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Jan 10, 10:30 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    spent £3 in the last 2 days - carton of milk and 4 tins of soup.

not doing too bad but still working through the christmas overstock
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Jan 10, 10:58 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Managed to get to Sainbury's this morning - the first time in 10 days! I was getting withdrawal symptoms! Anyway have spent £34-30, mainly on FV+M, but also some toiletries we had run out of which bumped up the spend. Have updated my sig and am quite pleased with the totals so far.

Am going to do some more soup and rolls this afternoon - probably celery soup as I made some chicken stock earlier in the week and have a bunch of celery to use up.

Should be at work, but still having terrible trouble on local roads and the hill up to the campus, so staying put. Yesterday's experience was scary and I have terrible back pain, I think from sitting hunched over the steering wheel clinging on for dear life!

Keep safe and warm everyone.

Moniker
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 14th Jan 10, 11:17 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    was going to have NSD today but the weather improved so I popped out

spent £23.66 in the co-op

potatoes £1.45
    onions £1.10
    mange tout £1.00
    leeks £0.55
    tomatoes £1.00
    baconx2 £4.00
    spinach £1.50
    hot rst chick £3.90 really fancied it
    fr eggs £1.80
    crumpets x2 £1.00
    bread £1.45
    gammon jnt £4.91 ( from the butcher)
    --------
    £23.66

think these 'little' spends may affect my budget I must be careful
    • russetred
    • By russetred 14th Jan 10, 11:36 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    I popped into mrT last night and dont you just know it full of whoopsie bargains.I swear it always happens when I'm trying to run the freezer down.£11.55 and I got 3 x sirloin steaks,1x topside joint,5 x 4 pack of lamb chops, 2 ribeye steaks and 2x twin pack of SF chicken breast fillets.My freezer is nearly full again but I will be using the lamb chops for a big family get together for DS1 birthday next week so saved a fair bit on that really.But I am not going near the reduced section till next month....hopefully!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 14th Jan 10, 11:52 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 7,829 Thanks
    loopychriss
    I wasn't intending to spend any more of my grocery budget quite so soon, but when I took the decluttered stuff to Oxfam I thought I'd just pop into the Co-Op to see what they had.

Came home with:

3 x 12 packs toilet rolls (£2.50 each)
    5 x Mullerlite yogurts (£1.50)
    2 packs of hot cross buns (half price at 50p each)
    2 bottle washing up liquid (2 for £1)
    1 box of 60 all ni 1 dishwasher tablets for £5 instead of about £13
    1 packet of crab sticks for my lunch (only thing not on offer at £1)

So - I'm now well stocked up for loo rolls, dishwasher tablets and, after my trip to Asda on Monday, washing liquid tablets!

Total spend = £17 plus points on my Co-Op card.
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

Sealed Pot Challenge #173

• artichoke
    • By artichoke 14th Jan 10, 12:48 PM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 3,210 Thanks
    artichoke
    sorry i posted my weekly meals by mistake thinking it was the general meal plan thread - sorry
    Last edited by artichoke; 14-01-2010 at 1:03 PM.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 14th Jan 10, 12:56 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

A top-up shop for me today in MrT. Spent £36.16 on groceries, which included a couple of items to be used next month, but were on offer now. These included 2 x Old El Pa$o fajita kits, half price at £1.42 (for DS1's birthday tea on 5th Feb) and ImperiaL leather shower gel, 4 for £3 (these are for DH and the boys). No whoopsies to speak of except for 2 x 2 fresh breaded plaice fillets at £1.55 for 2. In freezer for Febs GC.

Also got teabags, coffee and washing tablets which always push the bill up.

Spent £6.15 on two birthday presents, but this was from a different budget.

Off to update sig and read up on the posts I've missed. Have a good day all.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - confession time - the roads here are clear so I drove to Asda and got carried away, had loads of meat/joints whoopsied so I couldn't resist. Also they have 4 packs of Branston Beans at 2 for £2, 3l bottles of Orange/blackcurrant at 82p, "good for you" jars of sauces at 2 for £1 ( I usually make my own tomato sauce but at that price it was too good to miss and I can re-use the jars once empty) they also had the tikka masala and another variety on offer, Bread Flour now 61p a bag, also got some more F&V so I've updated my total with my spends.

Total not looking too good but both Freezers are full, cupboards restocked and so I know I don't need to buy anything until late next week.

Tonights dinner is in the Slow Cooker. using some sliced Gammon from the Xmas joint that was in the Freezer, put it in with some potatoes, carrots, onions etc to make a casserole and hoping that the remaining stock/juices can be turned into a Soup tomorrow. Still got loads of sliced Gammon left (it was a huge joint) so will be checking out some more Gammon recipes to spread out over the menu plan over the forthcoming weeks.

Looks like the big thaw is well and truly under way. Hope you all have a good day.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Jan 10, 1:28 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 34,411 Thanks
    XSpender
    We needed some pots as BIL coming for tea and he and DH will be having chicken pie from the freezer so, in order to stick to my target of shopping once a week, I did the rest of this weeks food shop today at Mr S rather than drive to Mr M tomorrow. I still had to drive to Mr S but it is only 2 miles away.

Spent £43.65 which is under my £60/week budget for toiletries, food, household, alcohol and dog food. Picked up some R@dox shower gels for DH which were half price and some Qu0rn burgers and LM sausages that were also half price for me. They also had S1mple shower gel half price which is the only one I use. I didn't buy any as I have 3 in the cupboard but I am tempted to stock up on a few more at that price.

They had some good offers on toiletries and 4 x tuna half price but I resisted anything else

Will need to go to Mr S tomorrow or Sat to pick up DH prescription so may stock up on some more shower gels for us both then as I am sure he drinks the stuff I get him. He will no doubt want 4 cans of beer for the weekend which we will get when we get the prescription. I need to make sure I don't go buying anything else as DH leads me astray when we are in the supermarket together.:rolleyes:

So far I have spent £139.28 out of a monthly budget of £300 and am really pleased as we have lots in and 2 freezers full. I have been keeping a more detailed record of what I spend on different categories of my grocery shopping and it has made me realise just how much we spend on F&V
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone, hope you are all keeping safe and warm.

I used up a whole Camembert yesterday (left over from Xmas but just in date) I baked it in the oven and warmed up some cranberry sauce which I served with it -very nice starter with some HM crusty bread. Followed this with HM Chilli Con Carni served with plain white rice.

Had a small naughty but nice spend on some crisps and lemonade last night about £3 whooops Will update sig. later.

Will need to do a small F & V shop soon.

Have a good day everyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Long tall sally
    Moniker - do you have the recipe for the celery soup please?
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • ragz
    • By ragz 14th Jan 10, 2:09 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Planned to finally do a big shop today, wrote list, dug out drive, piled kids in the car --- then realised I have a flat tyre! Can't get it sorted until tomorrow so shop has to wait, I have just enough nappies to last today and a bit of tomorrow!
    Sent OH to corner shop for squash and he spent £6...
    He begged and begged for days for a new toy which I let him buy this afternoon (£40) so now he's my b*tch so must think of more things for him to do...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • daisy1973
    Hi all.Have been shopping today and spent £27.47.Not too bad,all seems to be going well so far with the 'challenge'.Hopefully will come out at the end of the month.Away now to update sig.
    £365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)£62 banked
    Feb GC /£390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
    (food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
    Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
    50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target)
  • Fi27
    Sent OH to corner shop for squash and he spent £6...
    He begged and begged for days for a new toy which I let him buy this afternoon (£40) so now he's my b*tch so must think of more things for him to do...
    Originally posted by ragz
    LOL love it
    May GC Budget £200 spent
    Apr GC Budget £225 spent £258.32 Mar GC Budget £200 Spent £206.31
    Feb GC Budget £175 spent £210.23 Jan GC Budget £200 Spent £178.91
    For 2 adults
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 14th Jan 10, 4:23 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 7,829 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Need some help please.

If anyone has bought the Nouvelle toilet rolls in CoOp for £2.50, can you remember how much the original price was please? Updating my spreadsheet and I know they were on offer but can't remember the original price. Also the Finish dishwasher tablets - 60 for £5. Think the original price was £13 something. It's too far for me to just go back and check.

Thanks in advance
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

Sealed Pot Challenge #173

• pammyj74
    • By pammyj74 14th Jan 10, 5:07 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    pammyj74
    had to get some milk today so went into tesco for the first time in ages, got 6 pints for £1, bargain

spent £3.27 as had to get loo roll and a birthday card

total now £53.85

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Jan 10, 5:13 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    celery soup
    Hi LongTallSally

I don’t really have a recipe but this is how I made it:

One head of celery, washed and roughly chopped
    One large potato, peeled and cubed
    Half a large onion chopped
    A bay leaf, salt and pepper
    About 1pt chicken stock
    1-2oz butter

Melt the butter in a large pan – I used my pressure cooker. Add the chopped veg and cook gently until just beginning to colour (I think the technical term is ‘sweat’ the veg!) Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan then add the stock, bay leaf and seasoning. At this point I added all the veg I had use in making the stock – more celery, a carrot and half an onion plus the meat which fell off the carcass – if you are not doing this then you might want to increase the amount of onion and add a carrot or two to the original veg.

I cooked this in the pressure cooker which takes about 5 mins on high pressure, but you could simmer in a saucepan for about half an hour or use the slow cooker for a couple of hours – just till the veg is soft and mushy. Remove the bay leaf and blend until you get the consistency you like – I like mine quite smooth – and the put into containers to freeze. This made about 4 servings. I also like to add a little milk or cream but this is best done after defrosting not before going in the freezer.

I also baked the rolls this afternoon and have frozen them. I take one out in the morning from the freezer before going to work and it is ready by lunchtime!

I am sorry my recipe is vague but I hope you will be able to follow it ok.

I know I should probably post this elsewhere, but I have to share the excitement with you - I finally got round to checking my gas and elec tarrif using one of Martin’s recommended comparison sites and lo and behold, Scottish Power my current supplier came out second from top. I phoned them up to ask a couple of questions and spoke to a really helpful lady who told me that I wasn’t currently on the best tariff for my needs and that if I swapped to the one listed in the comparison website it would be cheaper. I have cut my monthly payment from £131 to £75! Woohoo! I knew I was paying too much as the bill at the beginning of the month showed that I was £165 in credit. Boy, am I glad I took Martin’s advice to check the comparison sites.

Have a good evening everyone.

Moniker
    • mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 14th Jan 10, 5:16 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    NSD day today! 2nd of the week!

Will need to shop tomorrow as am out of fruit.

Lisa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

2,305Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin