Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 14th Jan 10, 11:45 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Haiti earthquake appeal: how to top-up charity donations
    • 14th Jan 10, 11:45 AM
    MSE News: Haiti earthquake appeal: how to top-up charity donations 14th Jan 10 at 11:45 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Taxpayers donating cash can add to their contributions without having to shell out any extra money ..."

Page 1
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 14th Jan 10, 1:52 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 14th Jan 10, 1:52 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 1:52 PM
    I'm a bit confused here. There's a link to the DEC on the MSE page, but putting 'Haiti Appeal' into google brings up lots of charities wanting donations for it as well. Who should one donate to?
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 14th Jan 10, 1:58 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 6,917 Thanks
    neneromanova
    • 14th Jan 10, 1:58 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 1:58 PM
    See I don't agree with donating to Charities. I'd like to give the money straight to the person and not let it go throught a charity where they have to pay staff, Tv adverts, Leaflets, magazines, Brochures etc etc.
    DD1 Born 31st March 2008
    DD2 Born 29th August 2010
    DS1 Born 28th October 2013
    Got Married 15th September 2012 Now Mrs Clark

• rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 14th Jan 10, 2:07 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 14th Jan 10, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 2:07 PM
    Or in the case of Oxfam putting fancy new shopfronts up as they did a few years ago, when the old ones were fine, they'd just changed the logo or something.
    • mirry
    • By mirry 14th Jan 10, 2:58 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 7,856 Thanks
    mirry
    • 14th Jan 10, 2:58 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 2:58 PM
    Thanks I just donated 10 . I just hope others will too .
  • el_gringo
    • 14th Jan 10, 3:15 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 3:15 PM
    http://www.yele.org/

They don't have shops to waste money on, and most of their adverising is done FOC by a certain Mr Wyclef Jean.
  • sweetberryjam
    • 14th Jan 10, 9:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 10, 9:14 PM
    I donated, but didn't select gift aid as I am paid via a University bursary and therefore pay no income tax...

...I hope I did the right thing, otherwise they missed out on extra money
  • nico26
    • 15th Jan 10, 12:41 AM
    • 15th Jan 10, 12:41 AM
    http://www.yele.org/

They don't have shops to waste money on, and most of their adverising is done FOC by a certain Mr Wyclef Jean.
    Originally posted by el_gringo
    I donated through this as well after listening to him on the news. I know the money will go straight to Haiti as he does a lot of good work there.
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 15th Jan 10, 11:17 AM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    • 15th Jan 10, 11:17 AM
    • 15th Jan 10, 11:17 AM
    its always sad when the rest of the world offers help to places like Haiti in their hour of need, and things like this happen....

Haiti earthquake: food houses looted, WFP says

The World Food Programme has said that its warehouses in Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince have been looted and that it would have to restock in order to provide urgent food aid for 2 million people affected by the deadly earthquake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/6995719/Haiti-earthquake-food-houses-looted-WFP-says.html
    Last edited by inspector monkfish; 15-01-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • BubbleFrogette
    It is sad, but it's not surprising. People are desperate. If your kids were lying in the street injured and hungry you would probably take what you could too. Don't forget that the aid is not getting through at the moment and they have the choice to sit and watch others die or to do something.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 15th Jan 10, 12:22 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    indeed, terribly sad - lets just hope they can restore some order as soon as possible, so that emegency supplies can be handed out as fairly as possible.
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
    • treaclebob
    • By treaclebob 15th Jan 10, 1:17 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    treaclebob
    Just donated at the post office but couldn't see the gift aid box on the form (there was a big queue and I was on my lunch so was in a rush). I got back to work and the info is on the back! Is it too late to send in with a copy of the receipt for the donation? Any help would be appreciated. Just checked and it would add an extra 14 to the donation
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 15th Jan 10, 2:42 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    its always sad when the rest of the world offers help to places like Haiti in their hour of need, and things like this happen....

Haiti earthquake: food houses looted, WFP says

The World Food Programme has said that its warehouses in Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince have been looted and that it would have to restock in order to provide urgent food aid for 2 million people affected by the deadly earthquake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/6995719/Haiti-earthquake-food-houses-looted-WFP-says.html
    Originally posted by inspector monkfish
    You seem to think that all the looted food have been stolen and wasted. The way I see it, the people are desperate, the food is urgently needed by them, and now at least some of them have got it. Much more productive than it sitting in a warehouse waiting for some bureaucrat to hand it out.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 15th Jan 10, 2:49 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    roddydogs
    If you do it online, you automatically get the top up Tax free option, just tick the box
    • inspector monkfish
    • By inspector monkfish 15th Jan 10, 3:09 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    inspector monkfish
    You seem to think that all the looted food have been stolen and wasted. The way I see it, the people are desperate, the food is urgently needed by them, and now at least some of them have got it. Much more productive than it sitting in a warehouse waiting for some bureaucrat to hand it out.
    Originally posted by rev_henry

oh no, i don't think that at all.
    (and i'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion just from my posting that article !! )

but i do think, in what clearly must be a state of pandemonium, some kind of orderly fashioned distribution can only help matters :confused:

lets just hope everyone gets what is needed
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 15th Jan 10, 3:20 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    rev_henry
    oh no, i don't think that at all.
    (and i'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion just from my posting that article !! )

but i do think, in what clearly must be a state of pandemonium, some kind of orderly fashioned distribution can only help matters :confused:

lets just hope everyone gets what is needed
    Originally posted by inspector monkfish
    Sorry.
    Yes I quite agree.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 15th Jan 10, 7:11 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    See I don't agree with donating to Charities. I'd like to give the money straight to the person and not let it go throught a charity where they have to pay staff, Tv adverts, Leaflets, magazines, Brochures etc etc.
    Originally posted by neneromanova
    If the person in question was living in your town, yes.

If the problem affects lots of people, and is out of reach, no.

In the vast majority of disasters, it is not possible to help without donating to a charity (I assume you aren't going to give up your job and get over there somehow?).

In my opinion, something like 80% of the donated money directly saving lives is more important than sitting down in a cosy house putting pre-conditions on any help you want to give to people dying.

Feel free to not donate anything, but don't try and justify it by saying its only because of admin costs.
    Last edited by callum9999; 15-01-2010 at 7:13 PM.
    • smk77
    • By smk77 15th Jan 10, 8:22 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    smk77
    Originally posted by neneromanova
    This sounds like an excuse not to donate. I may be wrong but that's how is sounds.

Many charities are run with minimal costs. They don't use tv adverts, leaflets etc.

What kind of person do you think that you could donate to if you just handed over money directly? I bet it's a very small percentage of those that actually benefit from charities.

I think you are missing the point in advertising. Advertising is there to increase the awareness of a brand. In the case of a charity it's there to increase the awareness of its purpose. If you donate X then they'll use Y to generate another X.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 16th Jan 10, 11:12 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I donated to the Haiti appeal last night via Unicef. Is there a write/wrong place to donate your money?
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • t-elle
    • By t-elle 16th Jan 10, 1:08 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    t-elle
    I had an email from Holiday Inn Priority Club to donate in 10,000 point increments which will be equivalent to $40 to the Red Cross. I don't have loads of points so I thought this was a very easy way to make use of what I had.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,644Posts Today

4,866Users online

Martin's Twitter