Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Monica and Chandler not pay their wedding planner?
    • 11th Jan 10, 3:27 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Monica and Chandler not pay their wedding planner? 11th Jan 10 at 3:27 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Monica and Chandler not pay their wedding planner?

Monica and Chandler have hired a wedding planner for the lump sum of 800. But their wedding day is a series of disasters, with the wrong flowers being delivered, the cake being late and the food being served cold. Monica & Chandler decide not to pay the planner as it's her fault. She says a job's a job and she's owed the money as she could've gone with another client.
    Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 12-01-2010 at 8:43 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 12th Jan 10, 9:13 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 12th Jan 10, 9:13 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 9:13 PM
    If two people, between them, can't order flowers and a cake and organise serving food then they deserve to be 800 down.

Make them pay.

• Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 12th Jan 10, 10:47 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:47 PM
    I'd say that the wedding planner was in breach of her contract by not providing such items, assuming that it was part of her role, and as such, the couple are well within their rights to withhold payment; it works two ways; yes the wedding planner could maybe have had another client, but the couple could also have chosen another wedding planner and yet they put their trust in her for their big day, their one big day and she let them down.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • LOUY
    • 13th Jan 10, 6:06 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 6:06 AM
    Do not pay,
    I wouldnt pay anyone else if they failed to complete the job.
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): 120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): 98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): 89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • sandy may
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:05 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:05 AM
    The wedding planner was contracted to supply certain flowers, hot food & a cake delivered on time. She didn't do that therefore she didn't do her job so can't expect to be paid.
  • jonesy76
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:20 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:20 AM
    Definitely not pay. If you ordered flowers from a florist, or food from a restuarant and they were late or cold you would complain.
  • Trialia
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:21 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:21 AM
    The planner didn't do the job she was contracted to do, so I wouldn't pay her for it.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
    • katsu
    • By katsu 13th Jan 10, 8:31 AM
    • 4,368 Posts
    • 13,707 Thanks
    katsu
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:31 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 8:31 AM
    I don't understand why this is a dilemma. Seems fairly straightforward - she did not do a satisfactory job. Her job is problem solving and organisation, neither of which appear up to scratch.
    Debt at highest - 8k Debt Free 31/12/2009 (eight years and counting )
    Original MFD: May 2036 Current MFD: 2021
  • irritable
    • 13th Jan 10, 9:03 AM
    • 13th Jan 10, 9:03 AM
    Who cares, they'll be divorced in six months anyway.
  • hillmoore
    I assume the florist, caterers etc were also not paid.

It depends on what the wedding planner was contracted to do.
    • reluctantworkingmum
    • By reluctantworkingmum 13th Jan 10, 9:19 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    reluctantworkingmum
    if she hired the florist caterers etc - bet she wasnt going to pay them!!
  • Gerrym1984
    On the face of it, even if there were a breach of contract the wedding planner would still be entitled to a portion of the fee for work done/completed.
  • charliee
    I dont think it is as straightforward as it seems. I think it all depends on the contracts taken up and who was at fault. Moncia and Chandler had a contract with the planner, depending on the scope of that contract depends on where she can be deemed to have delivered or not. She may well have only been contracted for the planning with no liability for suppliers used in which case she has done her job.

The failures on the day were by the sub-contractors, the florist, the caterers, etc. Whoever had the contract with them needs to take it up with them and any claim for compensation is on THAT contract, not nessesarily the one with planner (unless the 800 was supposed to cover all of these things, which I doubt very much). Moncia and Chandler may be able to claim something back from the planner if she recommended companies who were not reliable, but I feel this would be more of a goodwill gesture on her part rather than a legal obligation. However, I am sure they would be able to reclaim some money from the florist/ caterer/ cake maker, etc if the errors were their fault. They would only be able to claim from the planner if she was negligent (ie ordered the wrong flowers, told the caterer the wrong time/ venue so the food was cold, etc)
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 13th Jan 10, 9:40 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    No - they shouldn't pay the 800, as the services received were not satisfactory. What they SHOULD do is to sit down with the wedding planner and a list of things that DID run smoothly and the things that DIDN'T, and work out the proportional costs of each (e.g. guest list management went well - 80, Flowers unacceptable - 120, selection of venue OK - 75, etc.) and only pay for the items that WERE satisfactory. If necessary, also bring in an independent mediator.

Obviously, the most important thing about the wedding is the celebration of the couple's love for each other and the commitment they have made and not these extras. However - if I had ordered a red dress and been sent blue trousers, I would not expect to pay for them but would return them. The couple's wedding day mishaps CANNOT be returned, so they should not be expected to pay for the things that went awry.

And if I were a wedding planner, I would not expect the couple to pay for unacceptable service. I would not be paying the companies I had contracted - caterers, baker, florist - for the contracts they had failed to honour, so I wouldn't have the gall to ask the couple to pay for them either. That way, at the end of the day, the only ones out of pocket would be the individual companies that had let everyone down.

Have a great time in 2010, everyone.
  • MORPH3US
    Would depend on whose fault it was for each mishap.... if it is the wedding planners fault, or not her fault but still should have been avoided with her knowledge and experience then I certainly wouldn't pay her the full amount.
  • fruugal
    If all of the errors are the responsibility of the Wedding planner then she should offer not to be paid.

However, 800 is not a big fee for a wedding planner and therefore it might be that she was only doing some of the things.

We had the wrong flowers delivered, and none for our tables and that was entirely the fault of the florists who had closed by the time we knew of the error. They apologised and offered money back the following week, and the florist was shocked when she went into the workroom on the Monday morning, but it was their fault.

As the fee was so small for a pretty hairy job, I would suspect that the bride or a mother or sister had been involved with some of it and therefore the responsiblity was shared. If so, if the wedding planner did all she was contracted for, then she should be paid in full with good grace.

They are married now and should draw a line and get on with life or their memories of their big day will be thoroughly tarred with the disgruntled brush!
    • Hezzawithkids
    • By Hezzawithkids 13th Jan 10, 10:13 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 10,736 Thanks
    Hezzawithkids
    Don't pay. The point of having a wedding planner is to have someone take care of thse details for you. She didn't do the job she was hired for so deserves to lose out. That's life, get over it.
    2 Savers Club 2016 #21 14/250
    2 Savers Club 2015 #8 250200

Proud to be an OU graduate

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
    • JayD
    • By JayD 13th Jan 10, 10:24 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    You don't pay for a bad job and you certainly don't pay for a job that wasn't done!

The idea of a wedding planner is to leave all that in the hands of someone else who you trust will have sufficient experience and reliable contacts to make your day run smoothly.

She failed - so she doesn't get paid.

As all those suppliers let the wedding planner down, she should then be reclaiming her loss from them.
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 13th Jan 10, 11:29 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    It sounds like it's the final services (i.e. floristry and catering) that were supplied incorrectly, rather than the planner who booked them?

In which case to earn the 800 the planner should be speaking with the florist and caterer to negotiate either a refund or discount, thus offsetting her 800 cost for the married couple.

On the other hand, if the flowers etc were incorrectly ordered BY the wedding planner, then she didn't do her job properly and should expect her fee to be affected as a result.

Either way, if things weren't done right then someone shouldn't be getting paid the full amount.

Personally when I got married all the suit hire for the Grooms party was messed up by Burton/Moss Bros. Wrong sizes, missing items, stained clothing etc. They ended up giving a full refund, but it was a major problem sorting it out 48hrs before the wedding! (ps: as someone else joked earlier, I also got divorced a year later!).
    Last edited by golddustmedia; 13-01-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    • slimmer1
    • By slimmer1 13th Jan 10, 12:02 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    slimmer1
    Who placed the orders??? If the planner was paid to deliver the wedding as a whole and employed the contractors then the planner is specifically and solely in breach of contract. Employing the planner then acting on their recommendation should have involved the planner assessing the suppliers of services and although the suppliers may have defaulted on their contract, the planner must also bear the responsibility that the recommended package failed to deliver and so should not expect payment in full. The amount of reduction should reflect what went right as well as what went wrong. Any comments about missed alternative contracts are completely irrelevant, the planner willingly entered into the contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,623Posts Today

8,678Users online

Martin's Twitter