Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • hungrynurse
    • 6th Jan 10, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 6:02 PM
    I work in a hospital, and many of those who work the night shift going into boxing day plan their night and take their breaks so they are free at 5am, then go on to the next sale the moment it opens to get their pick of everything
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 08-01-2010 at 5:18 PM.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 6th Jan 10, 9:01 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    cattie
    • 6th Jan 10, 9:01 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 9:01 PM
    As I hate the crowds at start of the sales, I tend to go at the tail end,so I've only really hit the sales in the last week. But I have picked up some real bargains, especially in my local M&S outlet store where they are making final reductions on lots of Christmas stock items. Yesterdays star buy was an electronic game down from 29.99 to 2.99. When I considered buying one last week it seemed a good buy at 12.99 so glad I was too loaded down to actually purchase one then.

I do find that there are some excellent buys to be had if you can wait till the final reductions are being made in many high street shops.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 7th Jan 10, 2:07 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:07 AM
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:07 AM
    My only tactics are to spot what I want at full price months (if not years!) before the sale. Decide on a price I am willing to pay for it. If it is at full price a price I would pay for it (but don't have the cash) decide on a price I can afford to buy it at.

Keep my eye on said item just incase a sale starts early or discount deal is enough that I can get it early.

If not bought by boxing day, if it gets 50% off I pick it up. If not I wait until its at least 50% off or the price I agreed for it. This way I don't get swayed by crowds of people and feel I 'have to have it' as everyone else may take it. If others want to buy at a price I cannot afford then this is tough, I have to live with it, there is a limit and I agree beforehand not to go over it. (I'll generally get it boxing day at 50% off because sods law says if I do wait any longer it wont be there anymore!)

I've learnt that I have to make 2 mental lists: stuff I really really want/need and stuff I'd like to have. The first list gets bough when it hits 50% in the boxing day sales. If its not reduced, its not getting bought. If its stuff on the second list (stuff I'd like to have) I wait until 70% off and if there is anything left its fair game.

I have found though my second list may not happen this year. I went to get some cash out for food on monday and my bank account is at zero! Scary scary scary as I thought I had the money!!! as I'm using a credit card now for food I know I don't have anything left for anything I "would like to have". Guess I may have to re think my sale tactics!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 08-01-2010 at 5:17 PM.
    • Erme
    • By Erme 8th Jan 10, 6:42 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 21,542 Thanks
    Erme
    • 8th Jan 10, 6:42 AM
    • 8th Jan 10, 6:42 AM
    I haggle for just about everything. If it's not the price you want to pay I just walk out and go elsewhere . The other week I had a really bad haggle in a high street store, walked out. The next day I went to an outdoor store and they had one water bottle I liked left (other stores had loads elsewhere) with a few glue marks on (which came off easily ). Price = 9.99 way over budget - haggled cos of the marks. Got it for 4.99. On the back of that I went to a school wear store for sports shorts. Sure the guy wasn't supposed to give me discount but got 10% off just for showing student ID. Act confident (even over confident) - they'll think you're their Mystery Buyer and treat you like royalty.

Okay so I'm new to haggling and so far have not had a successful haggle in Lewis' but that's my aim.

Also if something doesn't fit in the sales get it adjusted. Bring back the days where people made their own clothes etc. I was making a pinafore for the summer on the 25th out of a duvet cover . Know your charity shops etc. If you know the cheap ones you don't have to go anywhere else.

And finally if you get bad customer service ANYWHERE email head office. It's usually profitable. Likewise don't take dodgy food back to the supermarkets. Email - you tend to get more (like a double refund ).

Erme
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 08-01-2010 at 5:16 PM.
    • clairehi
    • By clairehi 8th Jan 10, 4:45 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    clairehi
    • 8th Jan 10, 4:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 10, 4:45 PM
    If you see something you need and the price is right, buy it straightaway.
    I wish I had followed my own advice as I didnt get round to ordering a sofabed from M&S with 50% off in the sale - saving 650 -and it has now gone OOS. it is in a discontinued fabric so wont be coming back in either...
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 9th Jan 10, 3:20 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 9th Jan 10, 3:20 AM
    • 9th Jan 10, 3:20 AM
    If you see something you need and the price is right, buy it straightaway.
    I wish I had followed my own advice as I didnt get round to ordering a sofabed from M&S with 50% off in the sale - saving 650 -and it has now gone OOS. it is in a discontinued fabric so wont be coming back in either...
    Originally posted by clairehi

Rule no.1: if you really really want it, get it at the first reduction as it will sell out if you don't- but it wont sell out if you do. This is whats known as "sod's law"!
    • wildthing01
    • By wildthing01 11th Jan 10, 2:11 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wildthing01
    • 11th Jan 10, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 10, 2:11 PM
    i agree with erme - it's always worth haggling, even in sales - last year in the Animal sale, there was further reduction on top of sale price if you bought 3 items - but you had to buy in blocks of 3. i wanted 4 things, so my husband persuaded the assistant to do the extra discount on the 4th item too (although he did tell us that he wasn't supposed to do it, and not to return the items as he would get found out!!)

i also think it's worth waiting a bit to avoid the crowds, and to get further reductions - i tend to go in the week everyone goes back to work - but if you leave it too long, there's only rubbish left!!!
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 11th Jan 10, 2:59 PM
    • 20,437 Posts
    • 215,909 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 11th Jan 10, 2:59 PM
    • 11th Jan 10, 2:59 PM
    I love to haggle, but M&S would hear nothing of it last Saturday, but then the silk trousers I wanted were down from 60 for 5 so was still quite pleased!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • clairehi
    • By clairehi 11th Jan 10, 4:35 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    clairehi
    Rule no.1: if you really really want it, get it at the first reduction as it will sell out if you don't- but it wont sell out if you do. This is whats known as "sod's law"!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    Yes you're right there Jennie - learnt that the hard way!
  • elise12
    If you spot something on sale that you like but you feel it might be further reduced in time but don't want to take the risk of losing out - BUY IT but hold onto the receipt!!! Many shops will allow you to return sale items you bought usually anything between 7 - 28 days after you bought it. So if you find the item has been reduced further still, return your originally bought item with the receipt and buy the new one at the discounted price. It's worth popping into the store or checking online a week or so after you make your sale purchases, I have found items I have bought at 25 - 50% off suddenly reduced to 75% off. EASY [and legal]!
    Last edited by elise12; 13-01-2010 at 2:51 PM.
  • blackribbongirl
    If you spot something on sale that you like but you feel it might be further reduced in time but don't want to take the risk of losing out - BUY IT but hold onto the receipt!!! Many shops will allow you to return sale items you bought usually anything between 7 - 28 days after you bought it. So if you find the item has been reduced further still, return your originally bought item with the receipt and buy the new one at the discounted price. It's worth popping into the store or checking online a week or so after you make your sale purchases, I have found items I have bought at 25 - 50% off suddenly reduced to 75% off. EASY [and legal]!
    Originally posted by elise12

Be carefull with this one,.... i have done this before (well taken things back that ive got for xmas and didnt like, only to find out they are in the sale)... sometimes even with a receipt they will only offer you back the money/exchange for the CURRENT selling price - so if you take a 20 top back, only to find its now 10, they will only offer you a 10 refund/exchange.

....although saying this, i dont know what the customers rights are to ask for the full amount you paid back... i was very young when i did this - too scared to haggle!!!!
    • skybluearmyontour
    • By skybluearmyontour 13th Jan 10, 9:06 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    skybluearmyontour
    Don't know if this is in the right place...maybe some of you experienced posters would be kind enough to tell me where to put it...or move it...

But.

The GAME sale. I'd like to point out that some of the stuff in their sale hasn't actually come down in price at all despite it saying save x amount. They have simply raised the RRP price. Some things have actually gone up. Quantum of Solace on PS3 was under 10 before Xmas yet in the sales it's up to 15. Worth noting I feel.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 14th Jan 10, 1:21 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Be carefull with this one,.... i have done this before (well taken things back that ive got for xmas and didnt like, only to find out they are in the sale)... sometimes even with a receipt they will only offer you back the money/exchange for the CURRENT selling price - so if you take a 20 top back, only to find its now 10, they will only offer you a 10 refund/exchange.

....although saying this, i dont know what the customers rights are to ask for the full amount you paid back... i was very young when i did this - too scared to haggle!!!!
    Originally posted by blackribbongirl

Wow- never heard of that happening- know that stores do not have to refund you if you want your money back- its all done to keep on good terms with the customers. But never known of a store who will only refund the current sale value- even with a recipet! Which store was it? Need to know so I can stay clear!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 14th Jan 10, 1:29 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    My tips, look for the online sales, and take the 1st pickings.

My other advantage is my crutches as you sort of have them a bit away from the body and take up a bit more room..... get to the rack quicker...

In my slimmer days - queues at the bar.......shoulds back chest forward and work through..... x
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
  • webmasterpolo
    BUY IT but hold onto the receipt!!! Many shops will allow you to return sale items you bought usually anything between 7 - 28 days after you bought it. So if you find the item has been reduced further still, return your originally bought item with the receipt and buy the new one at the discounted price.
    Originally posted by elise12
    I always do this as well. I bought a nice pair of trousers in M+S for 27 reduced from 50, I keep them in the bag and don't take any of the tags off until the items is reduced further, sale ends or goes out of stock.

If it's reduced further, as these were down to 19 I simply did an exchange for my expensive pair and bought the 19 pair, and got 8 refund. You just have to be careful they have your size the 2nd time, as they won't let you immediately buy back the ones you just returned for the lower price, as they have to be "processed" and put back on the shop floor in a "few days".

My sales shopping strategy tends to be check the returns policy first, if it lets me get my money back I buy anything I think I might like, decide later, and wait for further reductions then refund anything I don't want and exchange anything reduced.

-Web
    Sense is not common.
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 18th Jan 10, 11:36 AM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    Don't know if this is in the right place...maybe some of you experienced posters would be kind enough to tell me where to put it...or move it...

But.

The GAME sale. I'd like to point out that some of the stuff in their sale hasn't actually come down in price at all despite it saying save x amount. They have simply raised the RRP price. Some things have actually gone up. Quantum of Solace on PS3 was under 10 before Xmas yet in the sales it's up to 15. Worth noting I feel.
    Originally posted by skybluearmyontour

The Zavvi sale is just the same, I bought loads of CDs, DVDs and games before Christmas and I saw them in their sale, and their "special" Monday Maness for the same price as I paid before Christmas!! In fact using the text codes I bought the items for cheaper!
    I saw similarr happening Xmas 08 so bought things my boys wanted to spend Xmas money on, in advance so they benefited from the cheap deals too! ( I paid on CC and they paid me the money when the bill came in Jan).

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 18th Jan 10, 1:28 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 9,886 Thanks
    grunnie
    I like M&S clothes so sometime in October or November I will find a quiet day and spend most of the afternoon trying on bits I would like. I then go home and add the items I fancy and now know the correct sizes to my basket online. When the sale starts I add the items that are reduced and buy them. The rest of the items I have in favourites till they are reduced. I also take note of any item numbers of things I fancy ( Christmas crackers etc) and keep these for the end of the sale. I got a watch this year 35 reduced to 7 and several cashmere jumpers at silly prices also a jacket 55 for 9. Loads of trousers and skirts 35 down to either 9 or 5. Been doing this for the last few years and twice a year at their sale I stock up my wardrobe.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 18th Jan 10, 2:24 PM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I always do this as well. I bought a nice pair of trousers in M+S for 27 reduced from 50, I keep them in the bag and don't take any of the tags off until the items is reduced further, sale ends or goes out of stock.

If it's reduced further, as these were down to 19 I simply did an exchange for my expensive pair and bought the 19 pair, and got 8 refund. You just have to be careful they have your size the 2nd time, as they won't let you immediately buy back the ones you just returned for the lower price, as they have to be "processed" and put back on the shop floor in a "few days".

My sales shopping strategy tends to be check the returns policy first, if it lets me get my money back I buy anything I think I might like, decide later, and wait for further reductions then refund anything I don't want and exchange anything reduced.

-Web
    Originally posted by webmasterpolo
    Be careful with this one- some stores are now marking their stock labels with un-removable pen to say on the label its been in the sale. Some but not all. It can make the above harder- keep the original item to return rahter then the newer item to return in some cases.

I have bought clothes from Next, M&S, Topshop and a few other stores where the staff have actually taken time to mark the clothes label with "SALE" so it cannot be returned for a higher price. Again, not every time but some times and could catch you out.
  • HelJel
    Can anyone remember Boots doing a fantastic sale last year (not sure if it happens every year) when prices were slashed to about 25% of original price on all 3for2 gifts, wrapping paper & cards etc and does anyone know when its happening this year, or have I missed it? :confused:

I'd stocked up on lots of nice wrapping paper and cards last year for a quarter of the price, though a friend had got two sack fulls of gift boxes with smellies in!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,827Users online

Martin's Twitter