Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 21st Dec 09, 10:40 PM
    • 16,154Posts
    • 60,024Thanks
    mum2one
    New Thrifty Gifty - Organised for Christmas and all ocassions 2010- Santas Challenges
    • 21st Dec 09, 10:40 PM
    New Thrifty Gifty - Organised for Christmas and all ocassions 2010- Santas Challenges 21st Dec 09 at 10:40 PM
    Hi

I Know its early, but thought set the 2010 thread ready for New Years Day.

A massive thank you to each person that took part in the 2009 thread and making it the success it was, heres to 2010, welcome back old friends, and a big hi to new friends.

Let me explain a bit about us and the thread, we work closely with our sister thread (link - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2155855
    where on that thread you earn the money across here we help you spend it.

We have the lovely Sarah who keeps the thrifytblog updated -
    http://thriftygifty.blogspot.com/
    ), so a lot of the posts such as reciepies, craft ideas etc are on there.

Its not just about being orgainised for Christmas, but Birthdays and any ocassions in between, the basis of the thread is, it belongs to us all, we're all here to make suggestions, post bargains, just generally be there for each other. I took this part of the thread over mid 2009, and we have had a wonderful time, some great support and long may this continue.

A quick run down -
    • Santas Challenge - This will be out on the 24th of each month, it could be anything from checking your lists, to cleaning and organising your freezer
    • Challenges- Again, the challenges are varied, I work on the basis, that no-one challenge is perfect, one person may only need a fraction, someone else the whole challenge, its there for you, take as much or as little as you need
    • Please don't be afraid to put your thoughts, ur bargains, your suggestions, anything - it doesn't have to be xmas related, it could be in my case - I've complained again!!
    • If you have came across a bargain, a glitch, sale start dates, pop it all on, discount codes anything.
    • There is an American Company that does Christmas planning, - Organised Christmas - I've put the link up as there is some good information, but I don't fancy the 52 week countdown!!LINK TO ORGANISED CHRISTMAS
      http://organizedchristmas.com/
    • I will hold my hands up and say crafting is not my skill, but there are some wonderful ladies who are, so if anyone needs ideas pop the question on and someone will help.
    • Those that know me I am highly adicted to Halfcost, and am lethal at spending money!
    • We also had a baby boom in 2009 with SugarSpun being the 1st lady to introduce a new mse member, so were continue the tradation.
    I think I have babbled for England.....Join in, if your not sure fire away and ask. xx

Last edited by mum2one; 17-09-2010 at 9:42 PM.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 16
  • wotnext
    I went to Sainsburys today and bought so much stuff! Have managed to get enough to prepare 6 hampers for next Christmas, as well as having a few gifts left over to give out should my kids be invited to parties.

Am absolutely delighted that I now have so much to work with for my first year of hamper giving. I can now start crafting and making.

I paid 37 for stuff that should have cost 100.
  • Sugarhunny1
    hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for saying how good the spreadsheet is! I, of course, cant take ANY credit for it as I didnt set it up but I know Joyce didn't mind me passing it on a few years ago to fellow MSEr's.

My in box is now half empty if anyone else would like a copy!

Unfortunately I don't have a Sainbury's near me so cant pop out and get any bargains. I have to go into town and ASDA tomorrow so if i'm lucky I might pick up a bargain or two!

Sugar xxx
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
    • Winter Jasmine
    • By Winter Jasmine 1st Jan 10, 4:07 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 6,287 Thanks
    Winter Jasmine
    Happy New Year All!!
    I loooove this thread so much, thank you all for your advice so far! I'm really prone to New Year blues as I fall a bit flat after the fun of planning Christmas but now I can carry on with it all year and be so much more organised with birthdays, which I'm normally rubbish at

I've set up a spreadsheet (don't normally do this until Oct/Nov and then for Christmas only) and have included birthdays and Mother's and Father's days. I'm going to note down pressy ideas through the year and try to beat my budget for as many pressies as possible. I have to say I was a bit shocked at what my budget needs to be though - I've always saved for Christmas but badly underestimated how much other occasions cost . Will be super prepared now though

I started making my own cards last year but went off the boil so I'm determined to get back into it and have ordered lots of bargains from Do Crafts and Craft Superstore. I'll get cracking as soon as it all arrives so I can actually make decent ones instead of last minute messes.

My biggest problem is going to be keeping my mouth shut when I find bargains (not on here though of course) - my Body Shop bargains have now been allocated to the birthdays of the only four suitable candidates on my list who I haven't told about them!!
    "Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now"

MFW: Mortgage Cleared!!! 14 1/2 years early
  • mary-op
    Hello all
    No hangover for me.........medication won't allow drink and I'm not that fussed anyway. Sat up and watched the tele (am I turning into a real 'oldie??')
    No shops open in our little town today so I'll hang on till next week (or maybe tomorrow ?)
    Done nothing 'crafty'...........real lazy day (whats new ?) started to fill in a Family Tree book my son gave me -why of why do these things never allow for more than one marriage ?- had to change it here and there and hope I haven't wrecked it.
    Lovely Womans Memory Book from my friend I can't wait to fill in so can see not much getting done for a while................lol

Junior -good to see someone so young being so organised...............like the idea of the ID folder.......is that a small folder or A4 size ? I could do with something along a small ID line...........I don't drive and first thing I'm always asked for is a driving license

Well, off now to see whats happening elsewhere in our virtual world..............
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • 98jdougl
    Have started organising my spare room upstairs to be my gifting/crafting central next year have got labels made up for my shelves and am enlisting OH's help since it has turned into a dumping ground for pretty much everything and is in dire need of a sort out. And who knows what treasures may be unearthed.
    Have started listing some of my stuff on ebay - have hundreds of jewellery that I need to get rid of- trying to do it in lots if I dont have sets. Just cheap costume stuff but I never wear it so hoping to get some funds from selling it to go towards presents. Wish me luck - never sold on ebay before (eeek)
  • rachelet
    Thanks Sugar for the spreadsheet. I am going to spend the evening filling out what presents I have already got for this year and all birthdays and events etc. Got to be a bit more organised this year as baby is due beginning of May and I already have 3 children, 2 of whom have birthdays in December! So unless I am organised, it is an expensive month. I did try and make a few bits for Christmas this year, but started too late really, so am going to start much earlier this year.

I made some Baileys chocolate truffles to take to my friend's NYE party last night and they went down so well, that I think I might make some of them for Christmas presents next year!

Have bought a few things in the sales mainly for the kids' birthdays and Christmas.

Looking forward to posting throughout the year and hearing everyone else's ideas.
  • Tiara
    Thanks so much for the tip- I popped there yesterday and got 6 lovely rolls of paper So 18 meters for 1, that's amazing value!!
    All their Christmas Cards and tags were half price as well, and I got some lovely Thank You notes for 50p

I am hoping to brave the sales tomorrow to see if I can get started on any pressie buying for 2010!

If anybody is looking for wrapping paper, Card Warehouse are selling 3 metre rolls for 50p per roll or six rolls for 1
    Originally posted by Half pint
    • Pips Mum
    • By Pips Mum 1st Jan 10, 5:34 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 15,330 Thanks
    Pips Mum
    I made some Baileys chocolate truffles to take to my friend's NYE party last night and they went down so well, that I think I might make some of them for Christmas presents next year!
    Originally posted by rachelet

Yum! How do you make them please?
    Debt at LBM 17,544 4111
    Over 14,000 PAID OFF

Thank you to everyone who posts bargains on here it's helped me save a fortune for my Family
    • Heva04
    • By Heva04 1st Jan 10, 5:54 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Heva04
    The last few days I have picked up

Mum's birthday (16 Jan) Ghost Perfume set - Boots 13.99 (1/2 price)
    Grans Birthday (14 Jan) 5th Avenue Perfume set - Perfume shop 9.99 (1/2 price)

Moving house in March went to Dunnes and bought Ceramic white accessories for the two bathrooms (1 Bathroom & 1 WC) all came to 6.00.
    We bought two toilet brushes with holders, two soap dishes, two toothbrush holders and two liquid soap dispensers.

We also bought for 4 two glass spotty jars for kitchen and 4 chrome egg cups.
    • Winter Jasmine
    • By Winter Jasmine 1st Jan 10, 6:05 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 6,287 Thanks
    Winter Jasmine
    Yum! How do you make them please?
    Originally posted by Pips Mum
    Was just going to ask the same thing!

• nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 1st Jan 10, 6:11 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Happy New Year everyone,
    Didnt do much last night, in fact i was in bed by half 9
    Just finished writing my list of birthdays coming up for the next few months only got my brothers to get, everything else is done and dusted. I have never been so organised.
    Boo our sainsbugs has nowt left in the sale, only gift wrap (have 5 rolls) and cards (got about 200), still want to get a few bits from boots tho if they have anything left on monday.

Rachelet could you post the recipie for the bailieys truffles they sound delish.
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • alyssa_liss
    • By alyssa_liss 1st Jan 10, 6:14 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    alyssa_liss
    hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for saying how good the spreadsheet is! I, of course, cant take ANY credit for it as I didnt set it up but I know Joyce didn't mind me passing it on a few years ago to fellow MSEr's.

My in box is now half empty if anyone else would like a copy!

Unfortunately I don't have a Sainbury's near me so cant pop out and get any bargains. I have to go into town and ASDA tomorrow so if i'm lucky I might pick up a bargain or two!

Sugar xxx
    Originally posted by Sugarhunny1
    thanks for the spread sheet is great just spent ages filling it out

• rachelet
    I found the recipe for Baileys Chocolate truffles in a Christmas receipe book that said to use rum, whisky or brandy, but I didn't have any of them, so used Baileys instead. It seemed to work just fine.

Recipe as follows:

125g Dark Cooking chocolate broken into pieces
    2 tbsp Baileys
    40g unsalted butter, diced
    55g icing sugar
    Galaxy hot chocolate powder for dusting

The recipe also said to add 55g of ground almonds, but I left these out as I wasn't sure if anyone would have a nut allergy.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, don't let the base of the bowl touch the water.
    Remove from the heat, stir in the baileys and leave to cool slightly.
    Beat in butter, sugar (and almonds) until thoroughly combined.
    Shape mixture into 18 small balls and place on sheet of baking paper.
    Sift galaxy hot chocolate onto plate and roll each ball in cocoa to coat.
    Place back on baking paper to set.

I put mine in the fridge as I didn't have much time for them to set. They were only in for about an hour.

Store them in a airtight container if they last that long!!

This was the first time I made them and everyone was impressed, it could have been a fluke though!!
    • Winter Jasmine
    • By Winter Jasmine 1st Jan 10, 6:32 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 6,287 Thanks
    Winter Jasmine
    Thanks rachelet - have added the recipe to my brand new gift ideas file

Reckon they'd make a fab Mother's Day pressie - may need to do a few 'test' batches for me first though..ahem..

• rachelet
    Your welcome saffstar. I think I might be making some more batches throughout the year as well. I thought I would try something new and they actually turned out better than expected!
  • elysia2003
    RACHELET - I'm sure it wasn't a fluke. Don't put yourself down.

Reading the Christmas thread from December onwards quite a few people had made these for gifts and by the sounds of things, they were greatly received. Apparently you can freeze them too, great for unexpected gifts - they'll defrost in no time!
    I M.S.E.

Mortgage Free 18/01/10 13 years and 8 months early on a 20 year mortgage!
  • Palema
    Happy New Year everyone!

I made my 1st 2 cards today and posted them on my shiny new blog Looking forward to making a few more in the next few days and getting a folio of cards ready forr Christmas and other occasions.
    ~ VSP 2013 member #1 (AKA The speedway season ticket fund ) 92.69
    ~
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013 #1030 23.98
    ~ 2 Coin Savers Club #4 24.00
    ~ Gift Fund 120

Moved into my own flat on 22nd February 2013!!

• Shortie
    • By Shortie 1st Jan 10, 8:44 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 12,059 Thanks
    Shortie
    I popped to Mr S today for the KoS gift set and was impressed.. I didn't realise they had toys and other sets in the sale too! I got 16 of bits, and have sorted DH, my Dad, my FiL for Father's Day, a couple of men's toiletry sets for Christmas, and a few toys.

Thanks you FedUpAndSkint for posting about the KoS

Off to update my Birthdays and Christams Spread sheet, and probably sort bits out to put in the loft soon too

xx
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 1st Jan 10, 9:20 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 7,829 Thanks
    loopychriss
    I made 3 Christmas cards tonight, and have 1 left over from Christmas just gone, so that's 4 towards my total of around 100.

Didn't go out today so didn't get any bargains. Also didn't have to spend any money so that's a bonus!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

Sealed Pot Challenge #173

• Moneybag
    • By Moneybag 1st Jan 10, 9:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Moneybag
    Many thanks to Sugarhunny1 for sending the spreadsheet - shall have some fun getting my head round that over the weekend !!

Also thanks to rachelet for posting the recipe - I've filed it and will give it a try as soon as I can, but not at the same time as doing the spreadsheet ............ dread to think what would happen !!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,423Posts Today

8,812Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin