Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 6:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 6:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 6:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 9:52 PM.
Page 5
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 29th Dec 09, 6:55 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    rackelmk - how about veggie chilli?

2 medium courgettes, sliced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    8 tomatoes
    Passata
    1 tin value kidney beans, drained
    chilli powder (or fresh chillies)
    Fry light or similar
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    Rachel, Coxy's recipe is an excellent starting point for many variations.

Chop some veg such as carrots, courgettes, squash, peppers, mushrooms, celery, leeks, onions, swede, parsnips, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans.

Chuck in some frozen peas or sweetcorn if you like.

Soften in some frylight or a very little oil or even a splash of water.

Add some garlic and whatever spices you like.

Add passata/tinned tomatoes or tomato puree plus water/stock.

Add some pulses -kidney beans, haricot beans, chickpeas, butter beans, black beans or lentils.

Simmer until all the veg is cooked.

Serve over rice, couscous, barley, bulghar, baked spuds, potato wedges, pasta.

Add a sprinkle of cheese if you like.
  • rosieben
    ... By the way does anyone know if you can freeze cream? I freeze milk and butter but I am unsure about cream. ....
    Originally posted by highland fling
    I'm sure you can but check out the Can I freeze cream thread; I need to check too as I have 2 half cartons that need dealing with.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • savingforoz
    • By savingforoz 29th Dec 09, 8:04 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 5,807 Thanks
    savingforoz
    I'll go for 90 in January please - just me, all food, toiletries and cleaning products. Think it's a bit high, but I've failed the last two months!
    Last edited by savingforoz; 29-12-2009 at 8:07 PM.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 29th Dec 09, 8:08 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Evening all, please may I rejoin? Id like to go for 140 for Jan please!!

Tight month for January as i start f/t job on Monday so our JSA top up to my part time wage wont exist come January, had my last payment today and just a little remains from my p/t job after bills, but i know we will be ok as I have all your fantastic advice to reach for plus all what ive learned in the last few months.

Plus I have the joy of a f/t wage and a great job so whats four weeks living mostly out of the freezer and cupboards! Although to be honest could probably live for at least twice as long on my stores!

It is my dd first birthday tommorow i am so excited as she was a preemie and only 3lb 10oz at birth and if you look at her now, apart from being small she's great! Have used clubcard vouchers leftover from my xmas shop (also paid for with clubcard vouchers) and we are having a little tea party with close family tomorow lunch.

I shall resist waffling any further and take myself to daily thread for a natter!

THANKS TO ALL ORGANISING THIS THREAD!
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 29th Dec 09, 8:23 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Hello.
    Please can you put me down for 100 for Jan. please.
    This should be more than enough,I hope,as I have plenty of food in the cupboards and the freezer that needs using up.
    Thank you,
    ilovetea x
    #17 Make 2019 in 2019. 1,538.03.
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 29th Dec 09, 8:37 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Not off to a good start. Back to work today and forgot to take lunch, so spent 2.98 on that also got shampoo and sugar as running low.

I'm going to try and get back to monthly store cupboard shops and weekly trips to grocers/butchers as that seemed to be more economical than going to supermarket every week.

Thinking about stocking up my store cupboard too (I always seem to run just above empty!!!) incase we get snowed in!!

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • Alison Funnell
    • By Alison Funnell 29th Dec 09, 8:52 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Alison Funnell
    Can I join with 100 for January

I think I need to seriously address the amount we buy and waste. So although it doesn't look much for 3 adults I have not included the cats budget ( as they can't cut back tbh! ) and we do have a lot in freezers and cupboards.

This is one heck of a challenge for me as I tend to shop with abandonment but I have scanned over what others have set and decided that i really need to get my a**e in gear.
    • Spirit
    • By Spirit 29th Dec 09, 8:55 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 48,222 Thanks
    Spirit
    Count me in please - we are going to budget for 350.

There are 3 of us - it includes the chicken feed and cat food but not the bunnies as DD pays for those.

Thank you
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi Guys!

Have been MIA for a while as health has been poor again and stayed with friends over Xmas.

For January 2010 we really need to use up all the stuff we have in, or try too I will be feeding inlaws 3-4 times a week, but will bulk out meals with veggies as they are both not well and FIL terminal.

I am going to be brave and try 120.00 as I have loads of main meal items in but will need f&v weekly (whatever on special) and fridge bits. Will be using frozen veggies up too.

I will draw the cash out and use when and if needed.

OH has done alot of late night shopping with brilliant discounts, so should be fine.

I will add any extra money from our normal budget of 60pw towards my "getting my home finished" fund:rolleyes:

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 29th Dec 09, 9:19 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Please can you put me down for 280 this includes cleaning and toiletries for January. was going to suggest 300 but since it is minus sixteen here and never been above minus eleven all day I will have extra heating expenses this month!! Roll on Summertime! :-)
    Every days a School day!
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 29th Dec 09, 9:28 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Penny Pincher Lovely to see you back. Sorry that things have been rough for you xx
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
  • miss_cosmo
    Please can i join to?
    I would like to be put down for 120 for the month, thats for me and DD. It also includes all cleaning products, nappies and baby milk..pretty much everything!

Ive already spent 75.17 of this as have got all baby milk, nappies, wipes, frozen stuff, and most store cupboard things. Throughout the month i should only have to buy fruit/veg, some cheap cuts of meat and milk. Heres hoping! Its acutally a bit depressing that ive spent more than half of my jan budget...and its still only december..oops!

Cosmo x
    Turn 100 in to 10,000...0/10,000
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2010...18/100
    Annual grocery challenge- 120.67/1450
    Lose 3 stone- 0/42lbs
    NSD's in Jan...0/31
    "If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money cant buy"
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Dec 09, 9:57 PM
    • 8,084 Posts
    • 86,091 Thanks
    cw18
    I've been debating how to 'play' (report spends for) this challenge in 2010......

During 2009 I've reported actual spends, but have ended up with even more groceries stock-piled than I started with - and I want to make a serious dent into these, so that I can find proper storage for everything again (other than boxes in wardrobes)

As part of the Frugal Living challenge I've set myself an annual budget, but this will be split into monthly amounts depending on number of days in month (and whether/how long elder DS is home on leave). So I'm certainly staying as monthly budgets for the GC threads

But as part of the Frugal Living, my intention is to do an inventory of ALL my stock-piled goodies - and when I use stuff from there I'll be transferring what I spent on those from my grocery budget into a new 'stock-pile' fund that I'll allow myself access to at the end of the year (once I see what I'm short on going into 2011). So (in effect) that means my grocery budget will (hopefully) be decreasing throughout the month, as I use up stuff I already have in......

So it appears the best way to report for the GC threads is cost of what I buy plus original cost (as best I can figure) of anything I use from my stores. Any packs, bottles, boxes etc that have already been opened won't be added to my stock-pile list, but any that get opened in 2010 will be 'charged' to the month they're opened in.

Not really sure that's going to make a lot of sense to anyone but me - but that's OK...... writing it out has helped me get my head straight with the idea :rolleyes2

I'm not yet sure when in January elder DS has to report back for duty, so I'm going to assume that I have to cater for him for 7 days (was originally due back 2nd and booked flights accordingly, now not due back until 11th but I'm not sure if he's looked into changing his flight :confused: ), so.......

Please can you show my January budget as 117, thanks
    Cheryl
  • Whoops Apololypse
    Oh yes please....
    Hi it's Whoops here..can I join your gang of merry thrifters please :-). My family are on a tight budget and need to make big changes for 2010.

My budget for food, toiletries and cleaning products for 2 adults & two boys aged 6 & 9 and a dog is a big guess so here goes... 150 for January

Have loads of leftovers to use up and food in the freezer so hope to get by on very little money this month!
  • tinypawz
    Me too.....
    Can you put me down for 150 for Jan please. This is for me & dd (3) and to include food, cleaning and toiletries.

Wish me luck.
    LBM May 2007 -20584!!! (18k is ex-husbands-nice guy, eh? )
    Dec 2008 -15095 Jan 09 - 14871 Feb 09 - 14534 Sept 09 - 12463 Jan 10 - 11805 May 11 - 7981
    • Ayeshalush
    • By Ayeshalush 29th Dec 09, 10:30 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    Ayeshalush
    Can I be added to January's challenge please? This is the first time for me so I'll go for 80. Looking at other people's budget's this seems a bit generous for food, toiletries and cleaning products for one person, but I think it's roughly what I'm spending anyway and I'll aim to reduce for future months.

I have a fair bit in the cupboards and freezer so hopefully shouldn't need to buy too much this month.

Thanks

A
    x
    • remmie
    • By remmie 30th Dec 09, 7:44 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    remmie
    Hi everybody. Can I join your gang please? I have been lurking for a while picking up lots of tips and have been too shy to join in, but new year and all that! I would like to try for 125 please, this is for DH and myself, plus 3 large dogs, although I have enough dog food for a couple of weeks in store, but will start gently. My month is from Jan 8th to Feb 5th
    Last edited by remmie; 30-12-2009 at 7:50 AM. Reason: forgot dates
  • ashia
    Hi. Can I join in for 2010?

Can I be put down for 100, this is for me and my partner, all food, toiletries household stuff's. I'm running a traditional month (first til last day) coz I get paid every four weeks.
    Now MARRIED!11/09/10
    • skilly
    • By skilly 30th Dec 09, 8:03 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    morning all,can i be put down for jan 350.00 . i am hopeing to come in lower then that as dec i over spent .many thanks :-)
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • aytch
    • By aytch 30th Dec 09, 8:09 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 44,059 Thanks
    aytch
    I would like to join please - need to take control back!

]Please put me down for 200 monthly

Happy New Year
    DEBT FREE since 2011
    Retiring to Spain has changed my world

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,749Posts Today

7,424Users online

Martin's Twitter