Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 4
    • faye1978
    • By faye1978 29th Dec 09, 1:38 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    faye1978
    Hi - can I join in please? I would like to go for 180 for Food and toiletries for Jan. Thanks
  • rosieben
    *slides in shame-faced and waves at Rosieben*

great to see you here Diva

if I don't post on here and you see me on the boards - nag me to come and report please!!

how about one of these ...............
    Originally posted by Money saving Diva

and this message is too short - bit like me then......
    Last edited by rosieben; 29-12-2009 at 1:40 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • helen jelly
    Budgets all updated up to and including Poppyc
    If I've missed you then please excuse me and shout out and I'll pop you on.

Good luck everyone

New people always welcome

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 29th Dec 09, 1:59 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Afternoon all

I'm back on the grocery challenge for January. It was hit and miss this year, but I would like to at least be organised in 2010.

My target for January is 280 for 1 adult and 2 children [age 11 and 12], food target only.

I will have a better idea come February of how much we need each month, but on a four week month the 280 works out at 70 per week
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 29th Dec 09, 2:04 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Hello,

Please can you put me down for 50.00 for January? I didn't do this in December, so will try again in January and see how I get on with that amount.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • KCSunshine
    Hi, well here I go with my first post.
    I have have been following you guys for about 6 weeks, (since I received the chop ) and I am so impressed.

I have taken all your collective wise words on board: saved all my receipts; cooking from scratch; slow cooker soups - it has been a real education, thank you.

I would like to start slowly with 400 for January. This is for myself, DH, DS (14) eats more than DH!, DD (11), 2 gerbils and 2 fish. I hope to cover all food, toiletries, and cleaning bits.

Wish me luck
    November 2009 stopped my world and jumped off.. (was shuvved!)
    2010 Challenges: Frugal living - 20% of 2009 income; reduce self by 30%.
    GC: Jan 400/164.98 RS: To Date 63/10 lbs Jan 7/1 lbs
    • hex2
    • By hex2 29th Dec 09, 2:24 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks again everyone for the thread. I went over in December but only slightly, given that we gained two hungry teenagers unexpectedly for a week I am pleased with this result.

One of the teenagers is taking up residency without any financial contribution :rolleyes: so going forward the budget is for food and household for three adults, two littles, part time teenager, four cats and two dogs.

Please put me down for 450 for January.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 29th Dec 09, 2:33 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 5,207 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    Hello Everyone,

This was where I started lurking last year and learnt so much from all the wise peeps on here that this year I would like to go for an annual target. So could you put me down for
    as an annual budget please Helen Jelly.

Here's hoping that everyone has a very happy and successful New Year.

Puddleglum
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

April 2019 - pick myself up, dust myself down and give myself a stern talking to.
    Grocery spend 5814/80
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 29th Dec 09, 2:47 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Afternoon everyone, I managed Dec without too many hiccups and came in under budget again soooo i'm trying us on a new slim line budget for jan and see how we get on with that. Our freezers are still looking fairly healthy and our cupboards are still pretty full, should just need to stock up on fresh stuff really, she says:rolleyes:

So can you put me down for 120 please thats for me, OH and ds3
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • LittleBrownFrog
    • By LittleBrownFrog 29th Dec 09, 2:55 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    LittleBrownFrog
    Hi, can I join in please? My January budget is 300.
    That includes toiletries, cleaning products etc - pretty much everything for our family of 2 adults and 4 children aged 1-7
    • Nessa56
    • By Nessa56 29th Dec 09, 3:10 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    Nessa56
    Hi all,

could I join please, my JANUARY BUDGET IS 100.00 that is for food and cleaning products and as it is just for myself I really do think I can do that, with a little help from my friends here.

good luck everybody

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 29th Dec 09, 3:22 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Hi i would like to join back in MY JAN BUDGET IS 250 I am hoping not to use this but with the cold weather i seem to be making more. Good luck everyone.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation
  • WelshWoofer
    Hello all!
    I'm just thinking about the shopping list for the weekend and wondered whether anyone had any fabulous diet friendly vegetarian recipes that are dirt cheap but still yummy?
    Not much to ask eh?!!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 29th Dec 09, 4:18 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    rackelmk - how about veggie chilli?

2 medium courgettes, sliced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 red pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    8 tomatoes
    Passata
    1 tin value kidney beans, drained
    chilli powder (or fresh chillies)
    Fry light or similar

Fry carrots, onions and chillies (if using fresh) in some fry light for 5-6 mins. Add pepper and courgettes and continue to fry for 5 mins. Add the tomatoes and passata, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans and season to taste.

Delish with jacket potatoes or rice, or on its own with some crusty bread. This is an adapted S/world recipe that was 'free' on green days. Nice the following day and freezes well.

HTH.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Maids in a Row
    • albacookie
    • By albacookie 29th Dec 09, 5:25 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    albacookie
    Hi all. Can I go for 100 in January again please. I really need to defrost my freezer though so hopefully can come in under.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 29th Dec 09, 5:39 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    ready to put some effort into jans grocery budget

please put me down for 350 for Jan - thanks
  • poppy-glos
    Good morning everyone,

hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I would like to drop my GC budget a little this month so could you please put Highland Fling down for 160.Nice to see lots of new new people joining us and also others returning. Especially glad to see Cranky40 returning.

Like some others I started really well in Dec and then blew it in the last week before Christmas. Don't honestly know how much I spent as it all became a bit frantic at the end but I plan to be more in control this month.
    Received a great many gifts of chocs, biscuits and sweets so I don't think I will need to buy any treats for a long time.

Last night made a lovely Carbonara dish with cream I had left over. In the distant past that same cream would just sit until it went sour or would have been washed down the sink. By the way does anyone know if you can freeze cream? I freeze milk and butter but I am unsure about cream.

Good luck to everyone in January.
    Originally posted by highland fling

hi , i think you can freeze cream if its been whipped, either double or whipping, but not single or extra thick. am pleased to be wrong if anyone else knows:confused:
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • helen jelly
    Hi everyone

All budgets done up to and including Albacookie - thank you

Welcome and Hi to the new people joining in with this challenge, please take a few minutes to read the first few posts by Pink as they contain lots of helpful info and check out the recipes posted by Rosieben on page 1 which she regularly updates and also feel free to post any recipes that you may have which are cost effective and yummy.

I have reduced my monthly budget from 350 to 200 for this month as we are stocked to the Gunnels with food so will only need fresh fruit, veg, milk n bread. So we are going to reduce the freezers and cupboards and use as much up as we can and start from scratch in Feb.

All new people still welcome - please join us

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 29th Dec 09, 5:51 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 16,474 Thanks
    Dorastar
    Have been trying hard with food budget this year and seems to have gone alright so far. Aiming for 250 in January cos it's a 5 week month and my pay day is moving further away than usual.
    Mr T 10238 Mortgage 162,117 overpaying soon
    Emergency Fund 1000 Blanket squares 33/60
    6monthfund 980/6816
  • rosieben
    thanks coxy - veggie chilli now in the recipe list (and on my pc for trying out next month!)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,782Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter