Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 30th Dec 09, 10:05 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:05 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:05 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't. I know my friend would understand, but I still don't think I would return the dress.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • natalie1974
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:34 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:34 PM
    No I don't think I would return the dress either .
    Baby Thomas born 3 months early by emergency section on 21/1/09 weighing 1lb 15ozs .
    Thomas came home after 3 months and 2 days in hospital weighing 5lb 15ozs
    Thomas weighed 21lb 4ozs on his 1st birthday , a total weight gain of 18lbs 5ozs !
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 30th Dec 09, 11:57 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 30th Dec 09, 11:57 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 11:57 PM
    If she is broke she can't eat a dress. She should take the money.

A gift given away is no longer yours.
  • BobbiB
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:03 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:03 AM
    No - it was a gift - and therefore you shouldnt use it to get the money. if your friend was nice enough to spent that amount on you its probably because she knew you couldnt afford it and as such thought it would be a nice treat.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 31st Dec 09, 12:13 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:13 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:13 AM
    id be most miffed to think my friend spent so much when she knew i couldnt afford it

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 31st Dec 09, 12:21 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:21 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:21 AM
    i wouldnt do it no so she shouldnt

who buys someone a 400 pound christmas present anyway
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 31st Dec 09, 12:37 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:37 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 12:37 AM
    No - it was a gift - and therefore you shouldnt use it to get the money. if your friend was nice enough to spent that amount on you its probably because she knew you couldnt afford it and as such thought it would be a nice treat.
    Originally posted by BobbiB
    Yep, totally agree with this! I guess it's what is more important to Carrie - is it something she could discuss with Sam?

She might not have money problems forever, but she could enjoy that dress for a long time. Why not save money in other areas, and keep the dress as a treat - make up for having to cut back in other areas?

id be most miffed to think my friend spent so much when she knew i couldnt afford it
    Originally posted by robpw2
    I don't think that's really fair - should someone who is better off spend as little as the poorer person? Surely it's a case of each spending what they want / can?

who buys someone a 400 pound christmas present anyway
    Originally posted by jamespir
    Think everyone is different - why begrudge it if someone can afford it? Maybe others pitched in, or it was a joint christmas / birthday present....who knows?!

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • airheadgreg
    • 31st Dec 09, 1:15 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 1:15 AM
    Hell no! It would be just wrong!
    If Carrie is starving and hasn't eaten in a few weeks then maybe, but even then I'd feel guilty about doing it...
    • Cloudane
    • By Cloudane 31st Dec 09, 1:17 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Cloudane
    Wouldn't be much of a friend to her in return if she just cashed it in behind her back!! It's not so much the fact itself but the dishonesty.

She should maybe discuss it with her.
    • Tombo
    • By Tombo 31st Dec 09, 2:09 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Tombo
    Yeah, I think that she should do it. The dress is hers now and she needs the cash.
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), 50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    Debt-Free Wannabe!!
  • robynprincess
    could she go to the shop to see if its in the sale? that way if it is she could return it and buy it again and use the money left over.... but tell her friend about it though, otherwise its a bit too underhand
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 31st Dec 09, 2:41 AM
    • 6,124 Posts
    • 20,675 Thanks
    Kirri
    I'd be a bit surprised if a friend bought an expensive present when I barely had enough money to live on, would maybe show they didn't know me that well! But a gift is a gift and I would not want to offend by returning it.
    • Hizz
    • By Hizz 31st Dec 09, 8:15 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Hizz
    Take it back, no hesitation from me!
    One hundred years from now it won't matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little better because, I was important in the life of a child.
  • aliasojo
    Carrie got a designer dress from her friend Samantha for Christmas. Samantha gave her the receipt in case the dress doesn't fit. Carrie loves the present, but is a bit broke and could use the 400 she would get from returning it. Should she return it without telling Samantha?

Originally posted by MSE Penelope
    I'd be a bit surprised if a friend bought an expensive present when I barely had enough money to live on, would maybe show they didn't know me that well! But a gift is a gift and I would not want to offend by returning it.
    Originally posted by Kirri
    I think there's a big difference between being a bit broke and barely having enough to live on.

Even if Carrie is a bit broke she should deal with her situation herself and not use a present kindly given to her by a friend as a 'bail out' means.
    Herman - MP for all!
  • rentawitch
    If she has somewhere to wear it then do so, once. Then get it cleaned and put it on ebay.

She can tell her friend if she thinks she would understand. If not, keep quiet and then say you put weight on. Make sure you get a picture of you out in the dress or at the very least wearing.

A 400 dress is quite possibly a very embarrassing and thoughtless present. If her friend doesn't know how broke she is I would be surprised,
  • Ama
    I will return the dress but will feel guilty afterwards for a week or so. I will probably confess to my friend at some point.
    Debts at moment 31,500 :confused:
    Debts as @ 28 June 2009 15,654 Debts as @ 25 July 09 7,264 Debts as at 8 Sept 09 6,590 Debts as @ 10 October 09 5,976
    Official Debt Free Wannabee- Nerd Club Member Number 742..........Longhaul supporters club member-Number 72
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! Love this forum
  • gobbo
    Of course she should return it , her friend must have been daft in the first place to spend 400 on a dress , she can return it and buy something similar for under 50

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Carrie return her present?

Carrie got a designer dress from her friend Samantha for Christmas. Samantha gave her the receipt in case the dress doesn't fit. Carrie loves the present, but is a bit broke and could use the 400 she would get from returning it. Should she return it without telling Samantha?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

Originally posted by MSE Penelope
  • Zinho
    She should tell her friend that she saw the receipt, but in her current financial state, cannot accept the gift. Then its down to her friend to give her the option of taking it back, and the moral issue is shifted. Booyah. X
    • Oneday77
    • By Oneday77 31st Dec 09, 10:30 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Oneday77
    She should keep it. Being broke is a huge dent to your confidence and a new designer dress may just give her the confidence/perk boost that she needs. It might even be useful to get a better job with
    People hide their finances very well so a friend can easily not know about someones financial difficulties.
    She should really get to the bottom of why she is broke and come visit and get advice
    New PV club member. 3.99kW system. Solar Edge with 14 x 285W JA Solar panels. 55 West from south and 35 pitch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,555Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin