Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • dawnylou
    • By dawnylou 30th Dec 09, 10:07 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 51,444 Thanks
    dawnylou
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:07 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:07 PM
    I chopped up my leftover sprouts and mashed them into some mashed potatoe, added some chopped coked bacon, shaped them into burgers and fried them in olive oil until crispy and golden brown. Served with beans

We froze the rest of the meat in '2 serving' portions and plan on ham, egg and chips one day and turkey curry another, as well as various broths/soups
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 04-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53

• Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 30th Dec 09, 10:40 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:40 PM
    • 30th Dec 09, 10:40 PM
    Turkey and ham quiche for us!
    Piglet
  • Cybrin
    • 31st Dec 09, 7:58 AM
    Christmas in the hole!
    • 31st Dec 09, 7:58 AM
    We had quite a lot of leftover turkey and stuffing this year, the leftover turkey meat, as usual, was leg and wing meat.
    My partner doesn't really like 'dark' meat and is put off by bones etc. so I hit upon an idea.
    I removed the turkey meat from the legs and wings, diced it, along with the stuffing and made up some batter (for yorkshire puddings, don't forget the salt or it won't rise!) and mixed it all together before popping it into the oven, in a preheated oven dish with a little oil in it, on a high heat and waited for it to rise & brown.
    It was delicious, my partner loved it, as did our baby daughter.
    I'm going to do that with leftovers every year now, make a tradition of it I think
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 04-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    • madmoys
    • By madmoys 31st Dec 09, 8:07 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    madmoys
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:07 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:07 AM
    We had quite a lot of leftover turkey and stuffing this year, the leftover turkey meat, as usual, was leg and wing meat.
    My partner doesn't really like 'dark' meat and is put off by bones etc. so I hit upon an idea.
    I removed the turkey meat from the legs and wings, diced it, along with the stuffing and made up some batter (for yorkshire puddings, don't forget the salt or it won't rise!) and mixed it all together before popping it into the oven, in a preheated oven dish with a little oil in it, on a high heat and waited for it to rise & brown.
    It was delicious, my partner loved it, as did our baby daughter.
    I'm going to do that with leftovers every year now, make a tradition of it I think
    Originally posted by Cybrin
    Mmmm like the sound of that, will give it a go, thank
  • anneneal1
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:24 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:24 AM
    My husband has chopped up the turkey and ham and today I'm making a huge batch of ham and tomato pasta sauce (fry onions, peppers, add ham, chopped tinned toms and dried herbs). Will make curry with some of turkey (fry onions, green pepper, celery, apple, add turkey, tbsp flour, tsp paprika, curry powder, garlic powder, stir, add chicken stock and sultanas), rest of turkey will go into freezer for fricasse. Will freeze the curry and pasta sauce in batches for new year.
  • mineallmine
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:59 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 8:59 AM
    Bubble & squeak is a classic. Fry some meat, add some onions, add leftover veg eg cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Add a few chilli flakes to flavour things up a bit. Fry until crispy and brown. Serve with brown sauce!

Turkey curry, Balti style. Pataks do curry pastes/sauces that Jamie Oliver recommends in one of his books. I used the Balti one (there's also Tikka Masala, Korma, etc). Add a third of the jar to your diced turkey (I like to leave it to marinate). Meanwhile fry a chopped onion, add the meat and fry until sealed. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some water until you get a consistency you like. Cook for about half an hour. Serve with bread or naan bread.
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • pookienoodle
    • 31st Dec 09, 9:15 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 9:15 AM
    we dind't have Turkey this year we had a leg of lamb instead but I really missed the turkey a la king we usually make with the leftovers.
    • rozeepozee
    • By rozeepozee 31st Dec 09, 9:31 AM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    rozeepozee
    • 31st Dec 09, 9:31 AM
    • 31st Dec 09, 9:31 AM
    we dind't have Turkey this year we had a leg of lamb instead but I really missed the turkey a la king we usually make with the leftovers.
    Originally posted by pookienoodle
    We did the same as lamb was half price. We've had bubble and squeak, cheesy veg fritters, lamb sandwiches and tonight I've going to make this with the remains of the sprouts

Lentil and sprout curry

Preparation time over 2 hours (need to soak lentils)
    Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
    Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients

150g/5oz sprout top, shredded
    150g/5oz Brussel sprouts, cut into quarters or mini sprouts cut in half
    110g/4oz split moong lentils, these will be yellow in colour as they are shelled
    1 tsp whole cumin seeds
    2 clove garlic, crushed
    5cm/2in ginger, crushed
    2 green chillies, crushed
    ½ tsp turmeric
    1 tbsp olive oil
    ½ tsp salt, adjust to taste
    400ml/13½fl oz warm water
    1 small tomato, finely diced
    coriander, to garnish

Method

1. Soak the lentils for between 4 and 8 hours in boiling water. When ready to cook rinse the lentils in warm water and drain.

2. Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the cumin seeds and cook for about a minute or until browned.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and add garlic, ginger and chillies. Stir this very quickly, as you don't want it to burn, add lentils, turmeric, salt and 300ml/10fl oz of warm water. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes on a gentle simmer. Do not let the water reduce by more than a third of the original quantity, if it does add more warm water.

4. Check that the lentils are cooked, by scooping out a few with a spoon and crushing them between your fingers. You should only have to apply a little pressure for the lentil to squash, once cooked add all the vegetables and 100ml/3½fl oz of warm water.

5. Stir and check seasoning, cover and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat stirring occasionally. The vegetables should still have a little crunch to them when the dish is cooked, serve and sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and coriander.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 31st Dec 09, 9:55 AM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,920 Thanks
    kippers
    We freeze leftover turkey in curry size portions and just defrost and use in curries, pies etc. We do the same with left over veg

I made a pie with leftover lamb and curry the other day. Heated the meat in a pan of oil (or water to save on calories). Mixed the heated meat with a white sauce and covered with leftover mash and cooked in the oven until fully heated through......really nice and i served it with left over veg from xmas and gravy,

There are loads of ways to use leftovers on the old style board ...also not just xmas leftovers...it's a great way to save money and not waste food
    • sbutton
    • By sbutton 31st Dec 09, 9:57 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sbutton
    Bubble and Squeak, turkey pie and turkey curry.
    Made the bubble and squeak with all the unused non roasted vegetables, roughly mash and then put into a star shaped flexipan and cooked in the oven. We had a lot of people over on Boxing Day, and the whole lot disappeared and it looked a lot more appetizing then when you fry it in a frying pan.

Turkey and ham pie. into the freezer for next week.

Turkey curry with a few big tomatoes chopped up. Onions. Star anise, cardamon pods, cloves, coriander, turmeric, cumin, etc. etc. (whatever spices come to hand first)
    TOP TIP: fry up the star anise, cardamon and cloves with the onions.... then take them out. I forgot to do this, and they are horrible if you bite into them. Curry was fantastic apart from that though.

This year, for the first time ever, we didn't really throw away anything!
    • snottyotty
    • By snottyotty 31st Dec 09, 10:15 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    snottyotty
    Cannelloni enough for approx. 16 tubes
    Serves 4-6 depending on your appetite.

Very rich, very filling, very popular with my family.

FILLING

Turkey, ham, spring onions, garlic, olive oil, prawns, salt & fresh ground black pepper, tbs chopped mixed herbs.
    Cannelloni tubes.

Cheese sauce

3-4 tbs cornflour, 1 oz butter, approx 1-1.5 pints of milk 1 - 1.5 lbs STRONG chedder, (n.b. never cook with something you wouldn't eat/drink on its own) grated parmesan cheese for the topping

Finely chop all the filling ingredients, in a medium sized heavy bottom pan fry all in the olive oil until the onion and garlic are soft leave to one side while making the cheese sauce.

Make a roux with the cornflour and butter, make sure you give enough time for the flour to cook or it will go lumpy when the milk is added, dont have the heat too high either or the butter will caramelise (Go brown) turn the heat right down and add the milk stirring all the time, until it reaches a pouring consistancy. Add the cheese, stir until melted ( try it, you may want to add more cheese at this stage.)
    Add approx. 1/4 of the sauce to the filling, or enough to bind and allow it to be piped into the cannelloni tubes.

Fill the tubes with the mixture, (I use a piping bag for this, but in the past have been known to use a large funnel and a chopstick or wooden spoon handle!) place in an oiled shallow oven proof dish and cover with the remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and garnish with whole prawns. (I add a little sprinkle of paprika for colour but its up to you.)

30 - 40 mins gas mark 5 electric 190

Serve and enjoy! ( or not as the case may be )

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 04-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 31st Dec 09, 10:27 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    Soup.

It's dead easy. You can make stock from the carcass first if you want.

You then bung in all the leftover veg - mashed potato, roast parsnips, sprouts, whatever.

As usually it is all already cooked, bring to the boil, whizz with a blender and you are there.

You can add lentils to bulk it out or whatever you want, really.
  • nictay
    Turkey and ham pasta bake
    I was determined to find a more delicious leftover meal than just heated up or turkey/ham sandwiches, so I did a pasta bake which was delish!

Cut up as much ham and turkey as you need, it turned out I should have put more in than I had thought, so more the better I reckon. I'd say 2 1/2 heaped cups is good, although 3 wouldn't hurt!

Boil 450g dried pasta, any is good, I used shells so the bits of meat would sit inside the little shells. Make a big pot of cheese sauce (750 mls) and pour over the drained cooked pasta and stir in the meat.

Turn it out into a greased oven proof dish, sprinkle cheddar and a bit of parmesan over the top and grill for 10 minutes until golden and bubbly.

It is quite calorific, but the best use of Christmas leftovers I've tried, and if you can't do it in the holidays then when can you!

Enjoy!
  • lowreyd
    Leftovers
    I went out of my way to find lovely tomatoes this year, red ones, not insipid wintery ones. And didn't use them! So they were the good side of squishy, and I had some other bits knocking around - shallots I had bought for something and only used four etc etc. So, I made pasta sauce. Its a passatta recipe, but you can make it coarser and just use it as a sauce. Cut your tomatoes in half - leave cherry toms whole, bung them in an oven tray, put in anything like onions, shallots and garlic (peel and slice or roughly chop) you have. I also had a red pepper, so chopped that up aswell. Any nice herbs that go with Italiany things, I had some basil, which works well, but thyme, rosemary etc also work. Pour over about 50ml, or a couple of tbsps of olive oil, or veg oil if its what you have. Sprinkle over 1tsp of salt, a good grind of pepper and 1 tsp of sugar.

Put it in the oven at around 180 deg for about an hour, or until everything has softened up a bit. At this point I put it through a passatta maker, but you can push it through a sieve with a spoon. Or just chop it and use it if you don't mind skins in there.

YOu can make this kind of thing by just cooking it all in a pan of course, but the roasting makes it taste lovely.

I bottled it, a I am geared up for preserving, but you can freeze it in bags. I had about 500g of tomatoes, and it made a 500ml jar. If you just want to use it, it will keep in the fridge for up to about four days.

i also had mushrooms, all kinds of bits of cheese, a few eggs, bit of cream, so made a quiche which we had for tea last night. Also freezes well.

If you have sprouts and such like left hanging around - fresh, not cooked - just blanche them in boiling water for about a minute, let them cool and bung them in the freezer in bags. I obught far too much cauliflower, sprouts and broccolli, so I've frozen it to use during January.

Most things will freeze, if in doubt, give it a try.

Diane
  • ClaireN75
    Turkey curry, Balti style. Pataks do curry pastes/sauces that Jamie Oliver recommends in one of his books. I used the Balti one (there's also Tikka Masala, Korma, etc). Add a third of the jar to your diced turkey (I like to leave it to marinate). Meanwhile fry a chopped onion, add the meat and fry until sealed. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some water until you get a consistency you like. Cook for about half an hour. Serve with bread or naan bread.
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    This is my favourite, but I also add any leftover gravy to the curry, it makes it taste even more delish!
    • Butti
    • By Butti 31st Dec 09, 11:51 AM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 12,990 Thanks
    Butti
    Chicken (Turkey!) & Ham Stroganoff
    Obviously you don't need to cook the turkey from scratch.

12oz turkey/chicken
    4oz raw ham/gammon
    4-6 oz onion
    4oz button mushrooms
    1oz unsalted butter + 1 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp paprika
    pepper
    1/4 pint soured cream
    1/4 pint dry white wine or vermouth
    2-3fl oz water
    1-2 tsp cornflour

Cut chicken/turkey and ham into strips
    Heat butter/oil and fry meat
    Remove from pan
    Add onions to pan and cook 2-3 mins
    Stir in mushrooms and wine
    Put meat back in pan
    Cook slowly for 5 minutes
    Blend in a basin - cornflour, water, puree, cream, paprika, pepper
    Add mix to pan, bring up to boil and simmer for 2-3 mins
    Check seasoning and serve with rice

B
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/18 )£5826
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    33.2% paid off mortgage
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
  • humblebumble
    Cooked up some pasta, added basil pesto, sun dried tomatoes and the last of the turkey chopped up, served with some salad leaves. Yummy!! (Festive colours too!)
  • Margaretlane
    I made a type of cottage pie.
    Chop up turkey and left over bits of ham and bacon. Add a can of condensed mushroom soup and some water(half a can). Heat for a while then strain through a seive saving the juice. Put in a baking dish and top with left over mashed potato. Put in an oven, 180C, for about 30 mins. Serve with either leftover veg or new cooked veg.
  • Gemm85
    I gave some of our leftover turkey to the cats, but the rest I used in Toasted sandwiches with a mixture of cheese and spagetti hoops
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

8,476Users online

Martin's Twitter