Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 17th Dec 09, 2:47 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: British Airways strike off, says court
    • 17th Dec 09, 2:47 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: British Airways strike off, says court 17th Dec 09 at 2:47 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The High Court has ruled the proposed BA strike cannot go ahead ..."

Page 1
    • mcolqu
    • By mcolqu 17th Dec 09, 2:58 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mcolqu
    • 17th Dec 09, 2:58 PM
    BA Strike
    • 17th Dec 09, 2:58 PM
    Absolutely delighted with the court ruling. Not too much public sympathy in the current hard times. Arranging a strike for the entire Christmas period is a militant and ruthless action by a bunch of people only interested in their own reputation. The public have not been considered for one minute. I am due to fly with BA on the 29th and arranging any other flights was not economically viable. Let hope both parties get around the table in the New Year and sort everything out. Hopefully any appeal will also be turned down.
    Mike.
  • ivydene12
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:12 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:12 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly! The poor mutts who voted for strike action not only did not know they were voting for anything for more than one day, but were not aware that they are being led by 1960 activists, one of whom was notoriously associated with the Liverpool regime of Derek Hatton. Furthermore, the crew members would be losing 12 days' pay while the union leaders would enjoy Christmas with six-figure salaries.

The union members would do well to take a serious look at who is leading them to disaster and who is going to lose.
  • ckerrd
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:14 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:14 PM
    ^^How much do the Union leaders earn then?
    We all evolve - get on with it
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 17th Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    So 90% of people vote for a strike and it is ruled illegal, yet we are teaching and bombing the middle East to accept democracy!!
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 17th Dec 09, 3:30 PM
    • 10,171 Posts
    • 47,596 Thanks
    euronorris
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:30 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:30 PM
    But there were people voting who were leaving the company, among other things. They didn't follow the legislation, therefore the ballot is invalid.

They can still vote again though (if they follow the legislation).
    May Grocery challenge: 192.98/300
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 17th Dec 09, 3:32 PM
    • 10,171 Posts
    • 47,596 Thanks
    euronorris
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:32 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:32 PM
    Plus, honestly, this strike is about greed.

BA has to make cutbacks, just like every other company at the moment. They simply cannot afford to sustain the current losses being incurred.
    May Grocery challenge: 192.98/300
    • ChiefGrasscutter
    • By ChiefGrasscutter 17th Dec 09, 3:34 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    ChiefGrasscutter
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:34 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:34 PM
    Well I'd imagine now that all the staff will suddenly "get the flu" on the 22nd........
    Management fear wild cat action far more than official action as effectively there is no one to negotiate with: I know I've been there

Actually the last thing we the rest of us want is BA to actually go bust as the huge pension defecit of 3.7billion or so will then be dumped on the pension protection fund. ie we will all end up paying for it instead of BA employees and BA itself.

I was just wondering...in future if say at the next general election we vote 9 to 1 in favour of the conservatives and then it's found there are a few hundred invalid votes - does that mean we can declare the whole general election result nul and void and labour can get back in....until they can run a new election.....now there's a thought:

I'd appeal if I was the union............
    • KTF
    • By KTF 17th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    If they all 'get the flu' on the same date then that is grounds for dismissal under their contracts so that isn't going to happen.
  • ckerrd
    Plus, honestly, this strike is about greed.

BA has to make cutbacks, just like every other company at the moment. They simply cannot afford to sustain the current losses being incurred.
    Originally posted by euronorris
    So BA management need to work with their staff to achieve savings. Which they don't appear to have been doing
  • willa123
    Yeahhh no strike thankgod
    • ceebeeby
    • By ceebeeby 17th Dec 09, 3:55 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 10,773 Thanks
    ceebeeby
    Am delighted (even though wasn't travelling).

Strikers should all be sacked imho!! Plenty of other people out there who would willingly have jobs at this time of the year!
  • mustrum_ridcully
    BA cabin staff would do well remember there are probably several hundred former flyglobespan and XL cabin staff who would be more than happy to do their jobs and agree to the new working conditions.
  • ckerrd
    ^^^Let's do away with workers rights - great idea.
  • Dr_DiNg_DoNg
    dont get too excited, they are considering a mass sicky now
  • spurs_nut
    Originally posted by ckerrd
    The irony of your sig..... Pretty apt for the situation I think.
    Last edited by spurs_nut; 17-12-2009 at 7:12 PM.
  • dmg24
    I don't think that anybody is suggesting that workers rights are 'done away with', but rather that they assert their rights by different means. If an employee's contract has been substantially breached they will receive an appropriate remedy through an Employment Tribunal.
  • willa123
    dont get too excited, they are considering a mass sicky now
    Originally posted by Dr_DiNg_DoNg
    Seriously ? that's just silly ! lol
  • ckerrd
    The ironey of your sig..... Pretty apt for the situation I think.
    Originally posted by spurs_nut
    Perhaps you mean "irony"?:rolleyes:
  • mustrum_ridcully
    Yeah like that's what I'm suggesting :rolleyes:

Some people should be thankful they have jobs during the worst recession for a long long time - that's what I'm saying! Plenty of people have taken pay cuts so that redundancies can be avoided.

If it had been a 1 or 2 day strike that would be one thing, but 12 days over Christmas is going too far. That is a move deliberately designed to cause as much suffering and inconvenience as possible.

I'll be booking a flight for February soon and I'll do my best to avoid using BA because of what has happened in the past few days. So well done UNITE you really are doing a good job of protecting the future of your employees - not!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,000Posts Today

6,417Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin