Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 15th Dec 09, 5:59 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Christmas mortgage overpayments could save you hundreds
    • 15th Dec 09, 5:59 PM
    MSE News: Christmas mortgage overpayments could save you hundreds 15th Dec 09 at 5:59 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Borrowers with a mortgage where the interest is calculated once a year could save hundreds of pounds by overpaying in the next two weeks, brokers insist ..."

Page 1
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 15th Dec 09, 8:17 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:17 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:17 PM
    Terrible advice for me, particularly the quote from the mortgage sales man
    With early replayment charges, any over payment made in December attracts a 5% fee, whereas one overpayment of up to 10% is charge free during January.

Could you make it more prominent that this is a really bad idea for lots of people?
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 15th Dec 09, 8:38 PM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:38 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:38 PM
    @Mobeer can you mention your lender. These are most peculiar terms an conditions. J_B.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 17th Dec 09, 10:52 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:52 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:52 PM
    Alliance and Leicester. I am not alone in this, as it seems each January their phone lines have lots of calls about overpayments

I quote from their web site:

You said:
    I am an existing Alliance & Leicester mortgage customer, can I make payments without being charged t ...

Our answer is:
    Many of our mortgages let you pay off up to 10% of your mortgage balance each year without being charged the Early Repayment Charge that applies on the product. You can pay up to 10% as a lump sum in January of every year. This gives you the opportunity to reduce your outstanding mortgage balance and reduce your monthly payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,252Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I mean really is this worth a news story (slightly frustrating that to tweet the ridiculous nature of this click ba? https://t.co/4ADi7coREG

• The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• Follow Martin