Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 1st Dec 08, 6:46 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 6. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 1st Dec 08, 6:46 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 6. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 1st Dec 08 at 6:46 PM
    Hello, everyone New month, shiny new thread

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accomodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accomodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, old style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 181
    • Eltee12
    • By Eltee12 8th Dec 09, 1:29 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 7,557 Thanks
    Eltee12
    Helooooo

Still being all over the place regarding (un)healthy lifestyle choices, nevermind

TODAY
    B - Egg on toast, cuppa tea (nice)

S - Mince pie (also nice unfortunately)

L - most unhealthy ham & cheese slice, due to not fetching ready made lunch in, and an even more unhealthy scotch egg

T - Egg, bacon, black pudding, toms, mushrooms, cuppa tea

Tomorrow's hopeful plan

b - porridge with honey

s - bnananaa, plums

l - jacket p with beans n salad

T - HM fish cakes, mushy peas

sigh
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 38.40/250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
    • Raspberry Swirl
    • By Raspberry Swirl 9th Dec 09, 9:25 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Raspberry Swirl
    lost 3lbs at weigh-in last night total is 31.5lbs now!
  • Keiss 21
    Well, not had the best of weeks, but did manage to lose 2 pounds when I weighed in last Friday...that's two closer to where I was 3 weeks ago!

I seem to be having really bad cases of the munchies lately...TOTM (worse ATM as had new coil fitted last month). So I guess I should be pretty pleased with any loss!!!

Right, off to get more knitting done, then post the parcel to Canada (yes, I know I am late!), more knitting, prepare the meatballs for tonight's tea, before going for a check-up at the hospital this afternoon...at 4.45! At least the doctors will want to get away as fast as they can...here's hoping I'll take my knitting with me...still sooo many more pressies to make!

Have a good day folks.

Food for today:

B: Porridge with raisins
    S: banana
    L: Baked beans on toast
    S: SF jelly with fruit
    T: HM meatballs with HM tomato sauce with pasta
    S: ...banana bread...if I make some today!

Last edited by Keiss 21; 09-12-2009 at 6:56 PM. Reason: spelling!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • taplady
    • By taplady 9th Dec 09, 6:54 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    evening folks!

Raspberry and Keiss - well done to you both

I've had my weigh in tonight and have STS which is great as I'm under my SW target ATM
    not eaten too well today though

B - scrambled egg on toast

L - toasted teacake and butter

D - 1 salmon fishcake with rustic chips and peas.

I've also had a HM mince pie and half a small bar of choccie|(shared with someone at work)

good luck to everyone!
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 9th Dec 09, 7:05 PM
    • 13,041 Posts
    • 75,262 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    I need to post more on here!

I lost 2lbs this week, which is great, but at the rate I'm eating, I'll have gained that back and more by next week!

b - wheetabix with skimmed milk
    l - wholemeal roll with turkey, cucumber and tomato
    s - 2 chocolate digestives
    d - spicy butternut squash soup, slice of bread, scone with jam

see what I mean?! If I hadn't have had the biscuits and scone, this day would have been great.

I need to focus more!

Rasberry and Keiss - well done!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE
    • taplady
    • By taplady 9th Dec 09, 7:53 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    slowlyfading - well done! I'm like you - meals ok but the in between bits always ruin it!:rolleyes:
    • mlz1413
    • By mlz1413 10th Dec 09, 2:28 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    mlz1413
    I did so well last week for oohh all of 2 days! I had finally shopped so ate stirfry for dinner and soup for lunch, but then I had a day at college and grabbed a McDonalds for lunch then went away for weekend to see friend and new baby, I ate too much and did no exercise but I didn't drink any alcohol

Haven't done too bad this week if you don't count the alcohol

Most of the week I have stuck to:

B: crumpets and spread

L: soup & 1 piece of bread or a sandwich & yogurt

D: meat with one potato and one veg portion, managed one veggie meal of cauliflour cheese and tonight is meatballs & spaghetti.

I can't believe Xmas is so close! When did December start!!

congrats to all you losers and lots of will power to all those gaining / losing the same 2lbs!
  • Keiss 21
    Well, I have STS this week, which I suppose is better than putting some on (again!!).

May be out for lunch today, not sure...taking friend to hospital for her post eye-op check up this morning. We may eat out, or just come home...we'll see how everything goes.

Got no baking done at all yesterday...so hope to get some done this afternoon.

Food for today:

B: Porridge
    S: ?
    L: Out or at home with HM soup
    S: ?
    T: Pasta/veg and cheese sauce
    S: Mince pie if I get some made today!

Have a good weekend everyone, see you next week.

• taplady
    • By taplady 11th Dec 09, 11:42 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    keiss - hope your friend is recovering well. well done on STS

I've been out for a big veggie breakfast today - in memory of my friend who died 12 months ago - we always use to go out together for a breakfast so lots of her friends got together for one. Shouldn't need much else to eat till later.

have a great day all x
    • PurpleSkies
    • By PurpleSkies 11th Dec 09, 3:45 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    PurpleSkies
    It's that time of year when there's always chocolate in my office and I had a chippy last night because I was so disorganised yesterday I'd left myself too little time to cook!

Oh well maybe next week with be a better week (but I doubt it with all the Christmas dos coming up!)

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • floyd
    Hi all,

Had a hectic time since last Friday hence my lack of posting action, well done to all the losers, shame I'm not one of them!

We went to Hamburg last week which was just great but I found myself having Bitburger beer for every meal I came back with a STS but the last week has been ropey as we have had works Christmas do's, family visiting and friends dropping by so we have relied far too much on eating out and takeaways

Had a lovely day yesterday walking lots and even managed a full speed sprint trying to rescue a heron from the jaws of somebodys unrestrained and uncontrolled dog in the park I took him (or her) to the RSPCA centre and will call today to see how he/shes doing.

B: Boiled eggs and toast

L: Probably just a sandwich or something small

D: Vegetable samber curry, 1/2 portion of boiled rice, 2 poppoadoms

Have a good week all, it will be tough as there are more lunches out planned in work and treats in the office.
    • taplady
    • By taplady 12th Dec 09, 8:58 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    morning!

nice to see you back Floyd!

I had my veggie breakfast yesterday - it kept me going most of the day but I dread to think of the calories in it(fried read) so last night I had a small jacket spud with half fat cheddar in it and some tinned fruit in juice for pud with a bit of squirty cream and a small meringue. Not the best of days but never mind - back to it now!

I'm working all weekend so I need to try and avoid temptation.

B - puffed wheat, WW toast

L - spaghetti on WW toast

D - quorn fillet thing with HM wedges

also aim to have fruit and yoghurt.

have a good weekend all x
    • taplady
    • By taplady 15th Dec 09, 8:42 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    morning! very quiet here!

not been a good weekend for me:rolleyes: think I will have gained this week when I get weighed Wednesday! Its so hard to keep on track at this time of year - there's temptation at every turn!

Hope everyone's well x
  • Keiss 21
    Hello Taplady, and anyone else lurking

Yes it is quite here...lots to do (and eat!) at this time of year.

I don't expect great things weight-loss wise this week...been doing lots of baking.

Made lots of mince pies (using Trex) at the weekend (nearly 5 dozen...and more than half have gone already!!) Admittedly I took a dozen into the clinic where I see my chiropractor and CB therapist. I also made some mini Krispie Christmas puddings. They are GF, so great for coeliacs (I know a few, so they make a nice treat). I will post the recipe in a minute.

Almost finished the Xmas shopping, and can see the end of my Xmas knittingnow!

Have a good week everyone.

• floyd
    Hi all,

Still here but got a rotten cold and sore throat that I'm trying to shift

B/L: 3 granary toast with butter

D: HM chickpea curry with brown rice and a mini naan

S: Maybe a small HM mince pie later or a dollop of ice cream if my throat flares up again

Hope you are all well and holding it together, the way I see it at this time of year is that 1 mince pie is better than a box, 2 chocs is better than half the tin and 2 crackers with cheese is better than the whole block. Its all an improvement on my past festive eating habits so I don't torture myself too much over enjoying nice things
  • Keiss 21
    Mini Krispie Christmas Puddings
    This is based on Jane Asher's Crunchie recipe (taken from her Children's Parties book).

Mini Krispie Christmas Puddings

Makes about 50 to 60 - but they won't last long!
    3 Mars Bars (or look-alike)
    100g/4 oz butter/margarine
    50g/2 oz Rice Crispies (or look-alike)
    Decorating:
    150g White Chocolate
    Red and Green icing pens, and/or silver balls, or anything you want!

• Cut Mars bars up small and melt with margarine in a bowl
    This can be done in one of two ways:
    Either:
    • Place the bowl over hot water in a saucepan,
    or
    • Place the bowl in the microwave (about 3 minutes on high - keep an eye on it!)
    • Mix well when melted, then add the rice Krispies. You may need more than two ounces, depending on which make you use.
    • Put mixture into mini (petit fours) cases, about a teaspoon-ful per case is enough
    • Once the mixture has hardened after a few hours, you can then decorate.
    • Melt the white chocolate (again in a glass bowl over hot water or in the mocrowave) and spoon a small amount over each pudding, resembling snow/custard/cream.
    • If you want to decorate with silver balls, pop them on while the chocolate is still soft.
    • Once the chocolate has hardened, you can ice some holly and berries using icing pens. It can be a bit fiddly, but looks great when it is done.
    I may add a piccie, if I can get the camera to work (quite old now!) and if I can work out how to upload it to the net!

Last edited by Keiss 21; 15-12-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding a picture, at last!

• taplady
    • By taplady 15th Dec 09, 6:20 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    keiss - the cake look great!

Floyd - hope the cold soon goes. I like your way of thinking a bit of everything in moderation

not a good day today either:rolleyes: went shopping and had a veggie pasty! plus a curly wurly. Not looking forward to tomorrows weigh- in!
    I've had 3 meals out this week which doesn't help.
    • PurpleSkies
    • By PurpleSkies 16th Dec 09, 4:13 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    PurpleSkies
    Well it's sweets and biscuits galore around my way! I think the Christmas period has well and truely begun now. I've decided just to let myself enjoy the sweet things when I'm having organised xmas lunches and try and do more exercise when I'm not. Hopefully it balances out but probably not! Well, tis the season to be naughty.....or something like that!

Hope everyone is doing well.

ps keiss, those cakes look fab!
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 16th Dec 09, 4:33 PM
    • 13,041 Posts
    • 75,262 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Hope everyone is doing okay! my day hasn't been too bad i guess:

b - crumpet with jam
    l - tuna and sweetcorn sandwich
    d - tomato and garlic pasta.

could have been worse i guess!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE
    • Raspberry Swirl
    • By Raspberry Swirl 17th Dec 09, 10:04 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Raspberry Swirl
    Hi all

Congrats to anyone thats lost weight this past week. Things still aren't good for me personally at the moment and I've lost 7.5lbs in 2 weeks - which I should be pleased about At least I don't need to feel guilty over Xmas if I get my appetite back!

Not sure if I'll be in this thread before Xmas now so if not have a great time celebrating everyone and don't feel bad if you over-indulge. We'll get back on it in the New Year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter