Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Glad
    • By Glad 10th Aug 04, 4:46 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,687 Thanks
    Glad
    • 10th Aug 04, 4:46 PM
    Re: White Vinegar Uses
    • 10th Aug 04, 4:46 PM
    try looking here
    can't find a specific thread on vinegar but if ok with you I'm going to gently move you over to cathy's board, where you might get more info from 'the vinegar girls'
    ;D ;D
  • cathy
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:03 PM
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:03 PM
    I suppose its really time we did do a thread on its uses

so here are some !

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/tips/a/vinegar.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------and some more

Removing Stains:
    An equal mixture of salt and white vinegar will clean coffee and tea stains from china cups.

Loosen tough stains:
    To loosen hard-to-clean stains in glass, aluminum or porcelain pots or pans, boil 1/4-cup of white vinegar with 2 cups of water. Wash in hot, soapy water.

Brighter stainless steel:
    Spots on your stainless steel kitchen equipment can be removed by rubbing the spots with a cloth dampened with white vinegar.

Soaking pots and pans:
    Soak normal food-stained pots and pans in full strength white vinegar for 30 minutes. Rinse in hot, soapy water.

No cooking odors:
    Boil a teaspoon of white vinegar mixed in a cup of water to eliminate unpleasant cooking odors.

When handling onions:
    A little white vinegar rubbed on your fingers before and after slicing onions will remove the odor of onions quickly.

Removing fruit stains:
    To remove fruit stains from your hands, rub them with a little white vinegar and wipe with a cloth.

Painting
    Absorb odor of fresh paint by putting a small dish of white vinegar in the room.

Oven tip:
    Dampen your cleaning rag in white vinegar and water and use it to wipe out your oven.

Clean tea kettles:
    If you get lime deposits in your tea kettle, gently boil 1/2-cup of white vinegar to a pot of water. Then rinse well.

Laundry Hints

Soft fluffy woolens
    2 cups of white vinegar added to a washer tub of water will make a good rinse for both cotton and wool - leaves them free of soap odour and soft and fluffy as new.

Scorch marks:
    Lightly rub white vinegar on fabric that has been slightly scorched. Wipe with a clean cloth.

Deodorant stains:
    To get rid of stains left by deodorants and anti-perspirants on washables, lightly rub with white vinegar and then launder as usual.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinegar's chemical properties make it a cleaner and sanitizer with several important advantages:

Biodegradable - a mild organic acid

Easy to dispense and control

Safe for stainless steel used by the food industry

Relatively nontoxic and stable - safer for handlers

Less likely to leave harmful residues

Where environmental compatibility and toxicity are especially important, vinegar has been used:

To reduce microorganisms in slaughterhouses and poultry plants

To reduce mineral and lime deposits in lavatory pipes

To clean vehicles and equipment used in the construction industry

To wash and rinse walls and ceilings in restaurants and food establishments

http://www.versatilevinegar.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Creative Uses for Vinegar and Baking Soda

http://www.doityourself.com/clean/vinegar-bakingsoda.htm

• cathy
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:06 PM
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:06 PM
    Loosen a rusted screw or a rusted lock. Pour some vinegar on or into the area.

Tenderize meat. A strong vinegar and water marinade will make meat tender in just a few minutes.

Soften a hard paint brush. Boil it in vinegar, or soak it in very hot vinegar, then wash in soapy water.

Keep cheese from molding. Wrap it in a vinegar-soaked cloth, then place in a sealed container.

Remove the odor of cigarette smoke. Leave bowls of vinegar around the room. Or saturate a towel with vinegar, wave it all around the room.

Clean a slimy sponge or loofah. Soak it in a strong solution of vinegar and water for a day, then rinse several times in cold water. Let dry in the sun.

;D
  • cathy
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:13 PM
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:13 PM
    I often see recipes that need buttermilk and of course never have any BUT you can

Make "buttermilk" for baking. Add two tablespoons of vinegar to 6fl oz of skimned milk; let mixture stand five minutes.

;D
  • donnymel
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:22 PM
    • 10th Aug 04, 7:22 PM
    Many thanks to glad and cathy for the information.

I am now as happy as a chip in vinegar!! ;D
  • cathy
    • 11th Aug 04, 12:05 AM
    • 11th Aug 04, 12:05 AM
    welcome to the site Donny hope you will enjoy the tips and stuff, if you find any weve missed dont hesitate to post them

;D
  • mink35
    • 11th Aug 04, 2:25 AM
    • 11th Aug 04, 2:25 AM
    Cathy - you have the gift of always making me smile

You said recently you should be on commission from the vinegar people - YES YOU SHOULD, lol. ;D
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Aug 04, 8:37 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,687 Thanks
    Glad
    • 13th Aug 04, 8:37 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 8:37 PM
    just reading a mag in bath
    and on their tips page was this

for a sleek and shiny cat, dip cottonwool into diluted white vinegar and stroke along cat ;D
  • cathy
    that also keeps the fleas off as well
  • Gotabiscuit
    Perhaps vinegar should become sticky?

Not literally, though ;D
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Aug 04, 11:54 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    ........Cathy, have you tried the tip about wrapping a vinegar-soaked cloth around some cheese?
    Wouldn't it make the cheese smell or taste vinegary? ???
    • By 16011996 17th Aug 04, 1:18 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    don't fancy vinegary cheese.
  • shazrazmataz
    Forgive me if I appear a little thick ! but what is the difference between malt vinegar & white vinegar ? ??? :-[
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 19th Aug 04, 3:11 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    I'm not sure, good question - perhaps the white is the distilled version, that's why it doesn't smell so much and is colourless. Or perhaps the malt is white with roasted malt added ???
    Come to think of it, I know vinegar is acetic acid but how is it made? ???
    • By 16011996 19th Aug 04, 8:55 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    cathy has answered this somewhere else, if can find it will try and post link.
  • Lillibet
    Chris

I belive vinegar comes from partially fermented apples. Or is it mouldy apples? Actually, what is the diffrence between fermented & mouldy? No, don't even go there
  • Thelma_Thustbust
    vinegar is merely sour wine or beer

Wine , beer or any liquid containing less than 18% alcohol becomes vinegar when airborne bacteria called acetobacter aceti converts the alcohol into acetic acid. Vinegar is a natural by- product of making alcoholic beverages and its discovery was almost certainly accidental. This discovery was made in different parts of the world independently, and for as long as there have been undistilled alcoholic drinks there has been vinegar.

;D ;D Im not just a pretty face you know

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 20th Aug 04, 6:32 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Thanks Thelma, I'm sure if i re-read it, I'll work it all out :

So, when my Auntie had her glass of warm cider vinegar every morning, she was putting good bacteria into her tummy ???

And malt vinegar must be a by-product of beer. Yes I think I'm getting there ;D
  • Lillibet
    Can't imagine where I got the apple idea from then??? ;D
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter