Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 9th Dec 09, 10:27 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Pre Budget: Tax rises for millions
    • 9th Dec 09, 10:27 AM
    Pre Budget: Tax rises for millions 9th Dec 09 at 10:27 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Plans have been announced for increased National Insurance contributions and higher taxes for larger earners ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 09-12-2009 at 1:00 PM.
Page 1
  • Premier
    • 9th Dec 09, 1:41 PM
    • 9th Dec 09, 1:41 PM
    Meanwhile, more people will pay higher rate tax in 2012/13 because the earning limit above which you pay 40% rather than 20% duty will be frozen then. This limit usually rises every year in line with earnings.
    Have earnings risen this year? I know they rose 2% in the year to April 2009 (down from 4.5% in the previous year)

Apart from bankers, I keep reading that many are suffering pay freezes or even pay cuts this year.

Perhaps the tax threshold should therefore have been lowered this year in line with earnngs, and maintaining it where it is is effectively a tax cut? (that depends on the answer to my first question)
    Last edited by Premier; 09-12-2009 at 1:45 PM.
  • kippermanbike
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    Rise in NI
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    Fanbloodytastic!!! So from 2011 I will have to pay anothother 2% tax ontop of my basic rate just to cover NI!! I sometimes wonder what Im paying NI for anyway, I have BUPA, which Im taxed on. Why do we not just become a communist state? Lets all hand over everything to the government, all earn 100 a week no matter what we do and let that be an end to it!.. I know what I would want to do... Become a full time dole sucking scum bag... Lol, oh well, back to work I go!!
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 9th Dec 09, 3:38 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:38 PM
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:38 PM
    Ah ...... but Bingo duty has been dropped from 22% to 20%. Pleased to see the Chancellor focusing on the main issues!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

486Posts Today

5,427Users online

Martin's Twitter