Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Jessycat
    • 9th Dec 09, 2:11 PM
    White chocolate winter cheesecake
    • 9th Dec 09, 2:11 PM
    Free recipe in the current Asda magazine. I made it the other day and it's delicious, easy to make and doesn't need an excessive amount of different ingredients like some cheesecakes
    • Mummy81
    • By Mummy81 9th Dec 09, 7:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Mummy81
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:02 PM
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:02 PM
    I recently made baileys and white chocolate fudge using this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68602/baileys-and-white-chocolate-fudge

I was skeptical at first I've tried fudge before (it didn't go well ). The only thing I would add to the recipe is that you should add the chocolate whilst its still on the heat. On the fist attempt I'd already taken it off the heat and it started setting as soon as I put the chocolate in.

Also if you love chocolate try these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4940/snowball-truffles

Both very easy and will be in my festive hampers for the family.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 14-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.
  • TERESATERRY
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:16 PM
    Great roasters
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:16 PM
    When roasing your potatoes (preferably in goose or duck fat) 10 minutes before they are cooked, sprinkle lightly with cornmeal (sometimes called polenta or maizemeal) to give a lovely golden colour and great crunch.
  • dali2
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:10 PM
    Tasty Taters
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:10 PM
    If you are having mashed potoatoes with your Christmas dinner, try adding ground nutmeg to them. Sounds unusual but they taste beautiful.
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 10th Dec 09, 5:16 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:16 PM
    Brussel Sprouts
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:16 PM
    When boiling your brussel sprouts, crumble a chicken stock cube in the water - they taste lovely
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 68 (only 22 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October 750
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 10th Dec 09, 5:40 PM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 20,196 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:40 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 5:40 PM
    Instead of boiling carrots, just add a little water to the pan, a bit of sugar and a knob of butter. Cook until tender.

Also, roasted parsnips and sweet potatoes are lovely with freshly grated nutmeg.
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 10th Dec 09, 8:25 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    • 10th Dec 09, 8:25 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 8:25 PM
    I recently made baileys and white chocolate fudge using this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68602/baileys-and-white-chocolate-fudge

I was skeptical at first I've tried fudge before (it didn't go well ). The only thing I would add to the recipe is that you should add the chocolate whilst its still on the heat. On the fist attempt I'd already taken it off the heat and it started setting as soon as I put the chocolate in.

Also if you love chocolate try these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4940/snowball-truffles

Both very easy and will be in my festive hampers for the family.
    Originally posted by Mummy81

I am definatly going to try that fudge receipe. i made baileys fudge the other week and it was vile!!!!!!!!!!!!! So will try this one as I really want to give it to a few people for xmas.

Thank you
  • JillS
    • 11th Dec 09, 9:19 AM
    • 11th Dec 09, 9:19 AM
    Mushroom stuffing

Back in the days when I used to cook a turkey Xmas dinner with all the trimmings we always had at least 2 stuffings. One of them was always this mushroom stuffing.

8 oz mushrooms, chopped
    8 oz onions, chopped
    2 oz butter
    2 tbsps chopped parsley
    8 oz fresh white breadcrumbs (I've also made it with wholemeal b.crumbs)
    beaten egg
    salt & pepper

Gently fry onion & mushroom in butter to soften but not colour the onion. Add parsley & breadcrumbs & mix well. Moisten with some beaten egg. Season to taste.

edited to add:
    This makes a very large amount - it's nice in chicken as well as turkey but I only use 1/2 quantities for that.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 14-12-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: actually add extra information
    • happy_miser
    • By happy_miser 12th Dec 09, 9:33 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    happy_miser
    Mushroom stuffing

Back in the days when I used to cook a turkey Xmas dinner with all the trimmings we always had at least 2 stuffings. One of them was always this mushroom stuffing.

8 oz mushrooms, chopped
    8 oz onions, chopped
    2 oz butter
    2 tbsps chopped parsley
    8 oz fresh white breadcrumbs (I've also made it with wholemeal b.crumbs)
    beaten egg
    salt & pepper

Gently fry onion & mushroom in butter to soften but not colour the onion. Add parsley & breadcrumbs & mix well. Moisten with some beaten egg. Season to taste.

edited to add:
    This makes a very large amount - it's nice in chicken as well as turkey but I only use 1/2 quantities for that.
    Originally posted by JillS
    This makes a nice change and seems easy to do, but due to allergy can the egg be substituted without spoiling it please?
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 12th Dec 09, 9:55 AM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    This makes a nice change and seems easy to do, but due to allergy can the egg be substituted without spoiling it please?
    Originally posted by happy_miser
    The egg would just be used for binding the ingredients together. Personally I would just add a little water until the mixture comes together.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • MoaningMyrtle
    • By MoaningMyrtle 12th Dec 09, 10:02 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    MoaningMyrtle
    If you are planning on making braised red cabbage, it is best to make it a day or two before you want it. Saves time, as you just reheat it. Finely slice one red cabbage. Put in saucepan or slow cooker Add large knob butterAdd one chopped apple - doesn't matter which typeAdd dried cranberries or raisins of you wishAdd mug of waterAdd Brown sugar and red wine vinegar - A tablespoon of eachCook 30-40 minutes of as long as you have in slow cooker
    Sorry about punctuation
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 14-12-2009 at 10:32 AM.
  • JillS
    Originally posted by happy_miser
    Yes. I've moistened it with just stock at least once. You don't even use a whole egg in it so the egg doesn't contribute much to the overall effect. The main use of the egg is just to help the ingredients stick together so I think that you could use anything you fancy that will achieve that and improve or at least not detract from the flavour.
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 12th Dec 09, 1:17 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 6,265 Thanks
    milliemonster
    Maple Roast Parsnips!!! they are just divine!!!, al you do is cut up your parsips, slosh on some maple syrup (I know its a little expensive but this is xmas!!!) and bung in the oven on a high temp for a bout 20 mins, yum
    Aug GC 63.23/200, Total Savings 0
  • TheCheapFashionista
    For really tasty roasters chuck a few unpeeled garlic cloves in the pan with the potatoes before you put them in the oven and sprinkle with some garlic salt.

Yummy!!!
    • josie
    • By josie 16th Dec 09, 6:34 PM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 17,869 Thanks
    josie
    When roasing your potatoes (preferably in goose or duck fat) 10 minutes before they are cooked, sprinkle lightly with cornmeal (sometimes called polenta or maizemeal) to give a lovely golden colour and great crunch.
    Originally posted by TERESATERRY
    Or Semolina sprinkled on does just as well.
    • Tiggertail
    • By Tiggertail 21st Dec 09, 8:43 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tiggertail
    Tequila Sprouts!
    Hubby has always hated sprouts, now I have to do this recipe every year as he can't get enough! The recipe originally had vermouth but I didn't have any, so the only white spirit I had was tequila, gives them a good kick.

25g butter, 900g sprouts (trimmed and halved), salt & pepper, 1 tbsp caraway seeds, 3 tbsp tequlia/vermouth

Heat butter in frying pan over medium heat. Add sprouts and season. Cook stirring for 3 minutes. Add seeds and when sprouts look charred add tequila/vermouth. Cook, stirring, over high heat for 1 minute.
    WINS 2009 so far 212
    WINS 2008 823
    WINS 2007 1411
    • angelflower
    • By angelflower 21st Dec 09, 9:53 AM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 7,008 Thanks
    angelflower
    did anyone take down Jamie Olivers soup recipie from last weeks show....tried to find online but no success so far. It had coconut milk in?
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017
    • angelflower
    • By angelflower 22nd Dec 09, 9:29 AM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 7,008 Thanks
    angelflower
    dont worry found it....I bought the magazine (v poor and wont buy again). Going to cost me about 10 for the pot of soup too!! Who knew coconut milk was so expensive??
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 22nd Dec 09, 10:12 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    dont worry found it....I bought the magazine (v poor and wont buy again). Going to cost me about 10 for the pot of soup too!! Who knew coconut milk was so expensive??
    Originally posted by angelflower
    Have you got a Netto near you, brought some coconut milk quite cheaply b4 from there, can't remember how much sorry.x
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,586Posts Today

9,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin