Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 8th Dec 09, 10:43 AM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:43 AM
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:43 AM
    Love it. OH got me his DVD for our wedding anniversery on the 6th and was watching it last night.
    What a star, he obviously knows what a bunch of heartless lying scum these debt collectors are. Sounds like he has been on the recieving end himself. Good lad, love him even more now.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
  • stummj
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:49 AM
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:49 AM
    Amazing! I am now going to buy the guy's DVD (I wouldnt otherwise have done)and I hope other MSE fans do too so that we can earn him more than the 28K fee he turned down for this gig as our thank you to him.
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 8th Dec 09, 2:04 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    • 8th Dec 09, 2:04 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 2:04 PM
    I've loved Michael for ages and am so pleased he has done this. Turning down 28000 is a lot of money, so well done him.

Jen
    • twostinkydogs
    • By twostinkydogs 8th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twostinkydogs
    • 8th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 3:37 PM
    I wondered if you knew about Carol Vorderman being courted by the Conservatives. As an adviser to a party who are very likely to be forming a government, you know she'll be looking at a peerage at some point down the line. Education and maths, I wonder if she'll advocating teaching children from poor backgrounds how to calculate compound interest from loan sharks.
    londonersdiary.standard.co.uk/2009/11/countdown-to-carols-career-as-a-tory-peer.html
    (please put http in front of the link, I'm a new user and can't post full links)
  • foxymummy
    • 8th Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    You lot are obviously the type of people who believe everything you read in the papers!!! Cabot are debt collectors, but are NOT baliliffs!!
    They do not demand money and do not charge interest rates. They actually help people who have got THEMSELVES into debt.
    Cabot realise that people fall on hard times, and stop people from getting into more debt with their banks who are not willing to wait for money!
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th Dec 09, 4:41 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 8th Dec 09, 4:41 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 4:41 PM
    I wondered if you knew about Carol Vorderman being courted by the Conservatives. As an adviser to a party who are very likely to be forming a government, you know she'll be looking at a peerage at some point down the line. Education and maths, I wonder if she'll advocating teaching children from poor backgrounds how to calculate compound interest from loan sharks.
    londonersdiary.standard.co.uk/2009/11/countdown-to-carols-career-as-a-tory-peer.html
    (please put http in front of the link, I'm a new user and can't post full links)
    Originally posted by twostinkydogs
    Im pleased Carol no longer does the secured loan adverst we had the massive petition about - we shouldn't forget she has done a huge amount to improve the public image of maths and arithmetic in the UK and for that she should be applauded. So if she can do a good job in schools and help children I wish her all the best.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • russell07
    • 8th Dec 09, 7:30 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 7:30 PM
    You lot are obviously the type of people who believe everything you read in the papers!!! Cabot are debt collectors, but are NOT baliliffs!!
    They do not demand money and do not charge interest rates. They actually help people who have got THEMSELVES into debt.
    Cabot realise that people fall on hard times, and stop people from getting into more debt with their banks who are not willing to wait for money!
    Originally posted by foxymummy
    I'm pretty sure they do "demand money" (although they term it "clearing your account") otherwise why would they purchase debts without requiring them to be paid back?? I don't see 13m profit without doing this fundamental part of their business model (and interest must be charged on outstanding balances - this is not a charity).

To quote their website:

"Our goal is to talk to you, so that we can understand your financial position and agree with you the best way to clear your account."

Also the Visa, Mastercard and Meastro logos on every page of their website also give you a clue!

First post... Recent member.... - an employee per chance?

PS as company goals go - this one is pretty dire...

Best of luck to Michael - a fantastic comedian and wonderful person.
    Last edited by russell07; 08-12-2009 at 7:38 PM.
    Russell
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 8th Dec 09, 7:37 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,877 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 8th Dec 09, 7:37 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 7:37 PM
    Makes me like him even more than the fact that he's one of the funniest comedians I've ever seen, and the cleanest since about 1965 (in terms of not being crude/vulgar/swearing loads etc).
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • foxymummy
    I'm pretty sure they do "demand money" (although they term it "clearing your account") otherwise why would they purchase debts without requiring them to be paid back?? I don't see 13m profit without doing this fundamental part of their business model (and interest must be charged on outstanding balances - this is not a charity).

To quote their website:

"Our goal is to talk to you, so that we can understand your financial position and agree with you the best way to clear your account."

Also the Visa, Mastercard and Meastro logos on every page of their website also give you a clue!

First post... Recent member.... - an employee per chance?

PS as company goals go - this one is pretty dire...

Best of luck to Michael - a fantastic comedian and wonderful person.
    Originally posted by russell07
    Another person reading the papers???!!
  • russell07
    Another person reading the papers???!!
    No - reading your (I assume) corporate website!
    Russell
  • foxymummy
    No - reading your (I assume) corporate website!
    Originally posted by russell07
    Where does it say that they are bailiffs?? And No, I don't work for them.
  • russell07
    Where does it say that they are bailiffs?? And No, I don't work for them.
    I'm not going to get into an argument over this - you clearly haven't understood what I (or you) have said
    Russell
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 8th Dec 09, 8:31 PM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    I love Michael anyway, very funny and doesn't need to resprt to swearing or being vulgar to get a laugh.

Good on him if that article is true! I suppose it wasn't wasy to walk away from 28K!

And Foxy, as far as I can see, you are the only person who has said 'bailiff' on this thread!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 8th Dec 09, 10:18 PM
    • 13,847 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    fatbelly
  • foxymummy
    It was the media that called them bailiffs, which is why everybody thinks they are a bad company!!

:rolleyes2
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 9th Dec 09, 10:12 AM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    It was the media that called them bailiffs, which is why everybody thinks they are a bad company!!

:rolleyes2
    *rolls foxy's eyes straight back at her*

How on earth do you know what everybody thinks?

Nobody on this thread for starters has mentioned anything about them being bailiffs.

And not everybody believes everything they read in the media anyway.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Revenge of the Red Devil
    So he walked out half an hour before he was supposed to perform and that means he's got a conscience? If he signed a contract they should sue him for breaching it.
    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer"
  • voiceofreason
    Well I'm not a shill for said company, and I think that, being honest, McIntyre walking out on the performance he agreed to do is a bit off.

He's already said on a number of occasions that the reason he got into debt himself back in the day was that he was silly and irresponsible, so I don't know what the relevance of this is.

Nobody likes debt collectors.

But then, nobody really likes paying their debts. This is why we have debt collectors, because some people will default.

This move is populist, pointless nonsense - McIntyre's gone down in my estimation for cancelling the gig at such short notice; after all, it's not as if Cabot are suddenly going to have a Damascene conversion to a wishy-washy, "cancellation-of-all-yer-debts-no-worries-matey-just-try-not-to-spend-money-you-don't-have-on-cr*p-you-don't-need-in-future" modus operandi, is it?
  • foxymummy
    well i'm not a shill for said company, and i think that, being honest, mcintyre walking out on the performance he agreed to do is a bit off.

He's already said on a number of occasions that the reason he got into debt himself back in the day was that he was silly and irresponsible, so i don't know what the relevance of this is.

Nobody likes debt collectors.

But then, nobody really likes paying their debts. This is why we have debt collectors, because some people will default.

This move is populist, pointless nonsense - mcintyre's gone down in my estimation for cancelling the gig at such short notice; after all, it's not as if cabot are suddenly going to have a damascene conversion to a wishy-washy, "cancellation-of-all-yer-debts-no-worries-matey-just-try-not-to-spend-money-you-don't-have-on-cr*p-you-don't-need-in-future" modus operandi, is it?
    Originally posted by voiceofreason
    :t:t:t:t:t:t:t:t:t:t
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,868Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin