Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 21st Aug 06, 11:54 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    I rarely swear at people.... but....Blog Discussion
    • 21st Aug 06, 11:54 AM
    I rarely swear at people.... but....Blog Discussion 21st Aug 06 at 11:54 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's "I rarely swear at people.... but...." blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "I rarely swear at people.... but...." Blog
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • pounds_and_pensive
    • 21st Aug 06, 12:43 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 12:43 PM
    If, in spite of the most polite of protests, someone insists that they'll keep calling you, then they can hardly be surprised if you call them something back.
  • PINGA14
    • 21st Aug 06, 12:46 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 12:46 PM
    I must admit to receiving one of these calls and putting the phone down on a gentleman from abroad
    He then rang me back!
    I politelty told him that I already had a phone and didn't want another, put the phone down again.
    He blooming well rung me back again!!!
    I admit it, I lost my rag and told him no uncertain terms where to shove his phone and to go forth and multiply.
    I'm not proud, rather ashamed, but bloomin eck it felt good
  • John_T
    • 21st Aug 06, 2:26 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 2:26 PM
    I think what particularly irks me about these calls are the ones from large well known companies who you would think would keep themselves legal in these matters.

One incident recently was when I started receiving calls from Toucan, I was receiving the silent phone calls you get when they make more calls than they have agents to handle.

The number the calls were emanating from was disclosed and it was a freephone number so I called them and asked to speak to a supervisor, they refused point blank, after several phone calls to them I finally got to speak to a supervisor.

The first thing I asked them was if their company subscribed to the Telephone Preference Society code of conduct, he replied yes, I asked him why were they calling me then since I was registered with them, he insisted I couldn't be, he told me to go and register with them and then they would be able to remove me from their database, which would take 28 days for them to remove me after registration, he very smugly told me that until then they would continue calling me.

I called the malicious calls bureau who agreed that in their opinion Toucans calls by their nature were malicious, they offered to change my number, which I declined, they also told me to contact Ofcom, I lodged a complaint with Ofcom who told me they do not take action unless they receive a large volume of complaints, they also told me to make a complaint to the TPS.

Finally after 8 days of receiving phone calls, 4 times an hour, 10 hours a day I picked up the phone and an agent was on the line, I started to politely explain why she should not be calling me and she started shouting I can't hear you, I can't hear you, na na na, I can't hear you, na na na, the way children do when they are trying to ignore someone, it just seems that they were rubbing salt into the wound at every turn, after that the calls stopped.

I wholeheartedly sympathise with Martins sentiments, but the best course of action is to waste their time, ask them to hold on a minute then leave them on the phone until they give up and disconnect, if everyone did this it would become uneconomical to do this type of cold calling.
    Last edited by John_T; 21-08-2006 at 2:55 PM.
    "As if by magic... the shopkeeper appeared."
  • 5hreek
    • 21st Aug 06, 2:57 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 2:57 PM
    Tell them it's a company phone and you're on a corporate contract so you have no control over the situation - whether it's true or not, it's gotten rid of a fair few unwanted calls for me.

Also works for landlines - "this line is paid for by my company so I have no control over who provides the service"
  • armarda
    • 21st Aug 06, 5:22 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 5:22 PM
    hmmm you know I think I might try this tact next time. We're TPS registered and on more than one occasion I've had a similar conversation where I've insisted to be added to their "do not market" list but they have refused to do so. It is so galling that they think they are free to invade my private line with their calls against my wishes!
    • poorbutrich
    • By poorbutrich 21st Aug 06, 7:35 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    poorbutrich
    • 21st Aug 06, 7:35 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 7:35 PM
    Yes - it's particularly galling when it's a mobile phone, I think. Having said that, I went through a phase of receiving calls from a cancer related insurance firm at work. Since I was undergoing treatment for the very first stages of cancer, I didn't really appreciate this, and I used to have an extremely busy and stressful job. I kept asking them to remove me from their database, and was told that I had to call back in and ask again - which I did. But I was told that the number that was removed was the switchboard number for my company, not my direct line. I used to get so many calls that I had to get my colleagues to intercept these calls. I never used to think it was acceptable to swear at call centre workers until all of this happened!
  • silverelephant
    • 21st Aug 06, 8:46 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 8:46 PM
    I too am registered with TPS and I take great delight in seeing how long it will take them to hang up on me when I start ranting about being TPS registered and the fact that their call is ILLEGAL, funnily enough as soon as I've said it's illegal a few have even apologised for wasting my time before hanging up on me lol! The most annoying thing for me is that i have an ex-directory number which I never disclose, I've become quite adept at "accidentally" transposing the 2 middle numbers whenever I fill in anything (especially online), to the stage that I have to REALLY think about my number when I genuinely do want to give it out!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 014
    Lightbulb Moment 12 December 05
    They may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!
  • Lotta Littlies
    • 21st Aug 06, 8:59 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 8:59 PM
    It seems that many of them are actually unaware of the TPS. I've been asked what it is before now and also been told that they can beat TPS' charges (!) after I've said I'm registered with them.

I explain that I'm registered with the TPS, tell them it's illegal for them to be calling me and then start asking them for their name, company name, ask them to confirm today's date and the time of the call,. their supervisors name and by the time it gets to asking them the company address and telephone number they can't help but ask why I need this info, leaving me to tell them that they'll be dealing with the TPS for their illegal call very, very soon. :rolleyes:

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
    • Contains Mild Peril
    • By Contains Mild Peril 22nd Aug 06, 1:17 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    Contains Mild Peril
    I don't understand why a company phoning an individual who is not only TPS registered, but also specifically asks to be removed from that company's database, would refuse to do so. Surely it costs them money to keep making calls which are never going to result in sales?
    I had a phone call recently from someone asking for me by name. Since mynumber is ex-directory and I'm careful about who I give it to, I asked her how her company had obtained it, and she said it must have been from a survey I'd filled in. When I told her that I never disclose my phone number on such things, she just "sorry to trouble you" and hung up.
    • SteveR
    • By SteveR 22nd Aug 06, 1:13 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SteveR
    Same as Martin
    I think I had the same caller as Martin and I also resorted to a long stream of swear words. They called back again and got the same thing. The third time they called I had a whistle by the phone and blew it as hard as I could. I hope it didn't injure the guy but he was so smug and insisted he would continue to call me. The calls have stopped though!!!
    Could hurting spomebody while they are in the process of committing an illegal act (I am registered with TPS) be considered self defence?
    Steve
    • nim
    • By nim 22nd Aug 06, 2:43 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    nim
    I'm obviously missing out...
    I have been subscribed to TPS for many years (at different numbers since we have moved during that time) and have only ever received around 2 marketing calls during that time - in those cases the caller very rapidly retreated when TPS was mentioned.

However even if the TPS are not particularly interested in a breach of the regulations, since the caller is bothering you in a way that is explicitly unlawful I would have thought there is some room to make a small claims court case against them - which would immediately have the advantage of giving them a decent financial incentive to make sure they comply with TPS.

Won't work so well if they are overseas based... in which case you have to resort to either the bullhorn into the phone, or seeing how long you can taunt them until they put the phone down on you.
  • Dora the Explorer
    Registering with TPS saved my sanity . My plan for any unwanted callers that slip under the radar is to tell them I'll get my mum, then get on with my life and put the phone back on the hook after they've been waiting for 5 minutes - as if . Trouble is I hven't had any unwanted callers since I went TPS so I can't try it out. Life's very unfair
  • Edinburghlass
    I don't get many since registering with TPS and those that I do get I straight away ask for the company name so I can report them, they soon decide they don't actually want to speak to me.

The ones I like best are at an office I do some admin work in when they get the calls on how to reduce your telephone bills. I enjoy telling them that we pay 0p per minute with 3p connection charge and can they beat that
  • BestFootForward
    Get Revenge!! Wast their time.!!
    My longest is 17 minutes, 41 seconds.

I have a work mobile, along with many of my colleagues. We can be at lunch and some of our phones will start ringing simultaneously. Most of the others get rid of the calls quickly. Not me!

The only rule is: Don't give out any personal details!

Guide:
    I pretend that I pay the bill, and am really interested in what they are selling.
    I ask them what phones are on offer, and ask if it has some features, like camera, FM radio etc, Bluetooth, infrared. Gradually increase the features as they go through the list of phones until eventually they run out of phones. I then start to retract some of the features so I can go to the next stage.
    They then start to tell me about the minutes, texts etc. I'm not happy with that, what about video calls I ask? How much a month? How long is the discount for?
    Their deals are usually a bit complicated, so this needs to be explained to me several times

This may appear sad to some of you, but on the other hand, while I'm speaking to them, they're not bothering you
    Lightbulb moment: June 2006
    Debts June 2006: 18,100
    Egg Card 13,400 12,350; Loan 3,500 2,300; Other 3,700 3,100; Overdraft 1,500 585
    Debts Setp 2006: 15,300
  • Somerled
    I too am registered with TPS and I take great delight in seeing how long it will take them to hang up on me when I start ranting about being TPS registered and the fact that their call is ILLEGAL, funnily enough as soon as I've said it's illegal a few have even apologised for wasting my time before hanging up on me lol!
    by silverelephant
    This is often my ploy but most especially I ask them to repeat the company name twice or more, tell them to speak up, repeat what they are saying and then tell them "congratutlations, your company has just broken British law and OFTEL would be in touch". Informing them that they will probably get a 10,000 fine and have a nice day.
    This usually shuts them up and they hang up.
    Veteran Bargain Hunter -
    Best ever bargain: Rugby shirts (seconds) @ 20p
    • Jnelhams
    • By Jnelhams 23rd Aug 06, 2:27 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    Jnelhams
    I hate these calls, I have BT Choose to Refuse, but this does not work with overseas calls. Recently I had some idiot leave the line open for some 10 minutes, luckily I had a mobile phone, otherwise my BT line was useless.

I think there must be a technical way BT can stop these calls and cut them off your line rather than leave them blocking your line.

In the past I have told them they are through to a Doctors Surgery, this seems to work, failing that I speak quietly and then when they are really listenting hard, I tell them what you did Martin!

I want a button on my phone that I can press that blows their phone up!
  • biketyke
    As I too am registered with TPS; asking for the callers name, the name of their company and a return telephone number quickly ends the call. Should they be provided, simply report the company to TPS giving the details. Failing that, simply ask them (politely) if they wouldn't mind holding for a moment, then walk away leaving the phone off the hook for an hour or so.
    • ollyshaw
    • By ollyshaw 23rd Aug 06, 2:53 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    ollyshaw
    Hi,

I rarely gve my phone number out, but if a form requires it i type

This will get you round most online "is it a real number" checks.

Olly
    ## No signature by order of the management ##
  • southernscouser
    I can't help but laugh though when you get one of these calls.

Phones rings.

"Hello".

5 second pause which you know means it's from India.

Bloke with really strong Indian accent, "Hello, Mr SS?"

"Yes thats me"

"Hello Mr SS, my name is Dave"!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,480Posts Today

8,841Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @womensaid: Financial abuse is a form of domestic violence. We were delighted to advise on this article - no woman experiencing financia?

• Joint accounts, financial abuse and managing money in relationships - what every couple needs to know. My new blog? https://t.co/L3yAkncV0c

• Two weeks ago I tweeted about sensitive teeth and unbidden Colgate sent me their sensitive tooth paste. Last week? https://t.co/hV2wFPGKWh

• Follow Martin