Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 27th Nov 09, 10:11 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Alliance & Leicester 100 switching bonus returns
    • 27th Nov 09, 10:11 AM
    MSE News: Alliance & Leicester 100 switching bonus returns 27th Nov 09 at 10:11 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"You can earn a 100 bonus by applying online for the Alliance & Leicester (A&L) Premier current account from Monday ..."

Page 1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 27th Nov 09, 11:12 AM
    • 22,415 Posts
    • 103,197 Thanks
    michaels
    • 27th Nov 09, 11:12 AM
    • 27th Nov 09, 11:12 AM
    I guess they have got to spend all those overdraft charges somehow...
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Astraeus
    • By Astraeus 27th Nov 09, 12:39 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Astraeus
    • 27th Nov 09, 12:39 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 12:39 PM
    I was looking at applying for the Premier Current Account anyway so this sweetener helps somewhat with making up my mind. Does anyone know if you can apply for this in-branch?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 27th Nov 09, 1:02 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 27th Nov 09, 1:02 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 1:02 PM
    Is there some confusion with the account names here?

The news article says the 100 bonus is for the Premier Current A/c but then goes on to say that a/c "is already one of our top picks".

But it's the Premier Direct Current A/c that's one of the top picks, the Premier Current A/c only pays 0.5%.

The A&L website doesn't seem to mention the switching bonus yet, so there's no help there.
  • HalifaxthedevilIknow
    • 27th Nov 09, 3:47 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 3:47 PM
    Here's my experience of A&L 100 bonus account

Quote is my thread in this forum

I have a question I applied for A & L account in an effort to save some money in regards to over draft charges i was going encurr by new halifax charging strcture. As advised by MSE

Applied on line was excepted for account but not over draft, but their website said they could match over draft with their matching/switching service they just need to see last month statements. Statements taken in to local branch who then faxed them though to wrong number I was later told. Few weeks went by had all details sent to me including new debit card and normal account info and the standing orders/direct debits they were going transfer to account. But no details about over draft so i rang them to be told they are very busy which i understood, the switching team said they still had not recieved statements. Explained about taking to branch they then chased these for me. I explained at time I couldn't switch account with out the over draft being matched, Later that they rang me and sorry we can't match over draft so I say I'll have to close that account then and remain with my current bank. Note date 23rd Nov yesterday recieve we are closing your account letter as to be expected. Today I recieve a letter I quote

Dear Mr XXXXXX

Account No. XXXXXXXXXX

We are please to confirm that we have set your arranged over draft limit of 1500.00 on your account. Which is what i wanted!!!

Then goes on to explain charges for this, note no cost for 12 months therefore saving me money.

I ring them to day and get told you have shut account to which i say only because of what i was told by switching team on 23rd Nov, so I am then transfered to switching team who then explain to me letter is a mistake. With current lack of trust with any bank what else would they say and I not sure who to believe or what to believe

Where do I stand with this do I have a claim for compensation? I am out of pocket my 100 for switching and cost I am going to encur remaining with halifax based on their 1 day charge I always planned to reduce my overdraft even if had been with A&L its my last debt to pay off.
    Last edited by HalifaxthedevilIknow; 27-11-2009 at 3:57 PM.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 27th Nov 09, 4:01 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 27th Nov 09, 4:01 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 4:01 PM
    Is there some confusion with the account names here?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    It looks as though the answer to my question is 'Yes'.

The small print of all the statements put out by A&L clearly only says 'Premier Current Account', therefore the statement in the MSE news item that "The account is already one of our top picks" is not correct.
    • apt
    • By apt 27th Nov 09, 4:13 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    apt
    • 27th Nov 09, 4:13 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 4:13 PM
    I was looking at applying for the Premier Current Account anyway so this sweetener helps somewhat with making up my mind. Does anyone know if you can apply for this in-branch?
    Originally posted by Astraeus

If you did apply in branch you would miss out on 45 extra cashback which you can pocket by applying via topcashback - always making sure you have no Alliance and Leicester cookies on your computor before applying.
  • oakhouse13
    • 27th Nov 09, 9:22 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 9:22 PM
    A&L has refused to tell me what percentage of customers actually get the overdraft. The fact it will not say suggests it is a figure it does not want anyone to know. The criteria which don't seem to appear in writing anywhere on the website for the overdraft I was told were: an original copy of your last monthly statement, showing at least 500 paid in, the terms of your overdraft with your previous bank, at least three direct debits, no penalty charges and at least 15 consecutive days in credit.

I know almost nothing about banks accounts , NatWest person will hopefully read this and give everyone the official version. This sort of information should be given in editorial otherwise it is just painting a false, sales picture of the account with all that crap about this account is being AXED on Monday get it quick, oh two weeks later it is back again.
  • spurs_nut
    • 27th Nov 09, 9:58 PM
    • 27th Nov 09, 9:58 PM
    Here's my experience of A&L 100 bonus account

Quote is my thread in this forum
    Originally posted by HalifaxthedevilIknow
    I have wasted my time Reading both your posts today! That's two whole minutes of my life I have lost! Do you think I have a case for compensation? Maybe I should take it to the fsa.
    • noh
    • By noh 27th Nov 09, 10:20 PM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    noh
    It looks as though the answer to my question is 'Yes'.

The small print of all the statements put out by A&L clearly only says 'Premier Current Account', therefore the statement in the MSE news item that "The account is already one of our top picks" is not correct.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    It is correct as the Premier Current Account is the MSE top pick in "Top Accounts if you go overdrawn" section.
    • shadowspy24
    • By shadowspy24 29th Nov 09, 7:35 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    shadowspy24
    I knew it would be back. They keep putting a time limit on it and then they keep coming back with the same offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin