Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Aug 06, 9:28 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Find The Cheapest Gas & Electricity Plus Cashback Article Discussion
    • 18th Aug 06, 9:28 AM
    Find The Cheapest Gas & Electricity Plus Cashback Article Discussion 18th Aug 06 at 9:28 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • NeilDorset
    • 18th Aug 06, 1:46 PM
    • 18th Aug 06, 1:46 PM
    I've just been to the uSwitch site to transfer because I liked the idea of the free Champagne. Unfortunately after I had completed I checked the terms and conditions of the offer. I have posted a small excerpt below copied and pasted but with my empahsis.

"To qualify for this offer you must confirm a switch to a new* gas and/ or electricity supplier using the uSwitch.com comparison and switching service, on the following link only, before 11.00 p.m. on the 12th of July 2006. http://www.uswitch.com/landingpages/partners/champagne.lp?ref=champagne

Any switches received after the deadline will not be eligible for the promotion."

This got me a little worried, the offer is still advertised on their site and mentioned specifically in Martins post but it seems I'm already too late as the offer ran out on 12 July
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Aug 06, 2:37 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    • 18th Aug 06, 2:37 PM
    • 18th Aug 06, 2:37 PM
    Hi Neil,

This offer is still definitely open and provided you went through the link in the article you will definitely get the champers. Uswitch are in the process of updating its page and this should be done asap. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 18-08-2006 at 2:53 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• NeilDorset
    • 18th Aug 06, 4:07 PM
    • 18th Aug 06, 4:07 PM
    Got the following response from USwitch after I emailed them earlier today. Unfortunately they didn't want to send me a case of champagne for spotting the error in their terms and conditions but they will send out the bottle of champagne for the switch.

"Thank you for contacting uSwitch.com with your enquiry.

We are aware that the complimentary bottle of champagne offer recently expired on the 12/07/2006 but due to the high demand in switches we decided that we would keep the offer running. The terms & Conditions will be updated very shortly but unfortunately we are not at lengths to offer you a case of champagne, if you completed your switch through the 'moneysavingexpert.com' website then you will be entitled to your complimentary bottle of champagne."
  • GrannyB
    • 18th Aug 06, 5:28 PM
    • 18th Aug 06, 5:28 PM
    Please make people aware that although a lot of over 60's might benefit from Staywarm a lot, like my friends and I could be worse off. My husband and I live in a 3 bedroomed detached house and it would have been a LOT cheaper for us to have been on the Company's Standard Tarrif rather than Staywarm. It took a while to discover that we were overpaying for the fuel we used but not once did anyone from the company advise us to change Tarrif. Not once,after being several years with Staywarm did we receive a Bill or details of how much fuel we were using which made it difficult to check our costs. If you over use they soon change your Tarrif but if you under use they just say 'Thank you very much'. I would definitely BE VERY CAREFUL OF STAYWARM
    Last edited by GrannyB; 18-08-2006 at 5:37 PM.
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 18th Aug 06, 7:18 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    boobbby
    • 18th Aug 06, 7:18 PM
    Comparing
    • 18th Aug 06, 7:18 PM
    I have read the following article and I am further confused as I put the identical details into both sites and on Energyhelpline I save money and on Uswitch, electric and gas will cost me more if I change. I am with Atlantic Electric and Gas. I put in £60 for gas and 40 for electric. Try it !! Shouldn't both be giving the same savings?

Go online or phone a free comparison service who’ll work out which your cheapest provider is. My top picks are Energyhelpline Cashback* which pays £15 cashback if it can switch you or alternatively Uswitch Champagne* which sends a bottle of Piper Heidsieck Champagne, worth approx £20 as it includes delivery.
  • Kathyc
    • 18th Aug 06, 8:01 PM
    £18 cashback to switch
    • 18th Aug 06, 8:01 PM
    If you switch via one of the cashback sites - topcashback - they are offering £18 cashback for a dual fuel switch using uSwitch!

To go directly to the site: www.topcashback.co.uk

Cheers

Kathy
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 21-08-2006 at 12:40 AM.
  • Choc
    • 19th Aug 06, 11:01 AM
    Comparisons?
    • 19th Aug 06, 11:01 AM
    Hi everyone my first post LOL.

I have used these comparison sites for many years now to show people what most know.The results are very varied indeed.
    I have been with Telecomplus now for seven years using most if not all their services.T+ offered the guaranteed cheapest energy for many years but sites such as USwitch wouldnt include them in the comparisons because there was no payment to them.T+ are a referal biz only through distributors like myself.
    When pen to paper was put down none of the other utility companies came close so please be careful with these sites.I would say get concrete prices and do some research yourself,you will get a better result.

Cheers
    Choc
  • julian345
    • 19th Aug 06, 3:22 PM
    • 19th Aug 06, 3:22 PM
    As an avid reader for a long time, can I suggest a better way to investigate whether to change gas / electricity companies.

Using the change over companies only gives a "suggested new price" that one would pay.

When it come down to brass tacks, the only true way to know if it is worth changing is to compare the actual price per unit then add in any standing charge if applicable.

The problem is that fewer and fewer companies give this info on the internet.
    (Some give it if you go through the process of signing up and then cancel at the last page).

Unless you ring the company direct it is still a mine field. I have spent many an hour phoning only to find that my present company, Utility Warehouse, is not far behind the rest, and unless a substantial saving is in the offing is it really worth the hassle?
  • mountlake
    Sainsburys Energy gas and electricity
    Hi

i don't see anything mentioning how good or otherwise are Sainsburys Energy

(It's scottish power behind them i believe)
    there was a lot of fooling around with my changeover last year
    it protects me until apr 07

i notice on the report it shows only manweb as Scot power's brand
    any input ?
  • Mortgagefree
    I switched to Powergen using a cashback site just before Martin's email saying 'Don't Switch Yet!'

Now Powergen have raised their prices they are not coming anywhere near the best deal for me. The switch hasn't gone through yet (I've had letters from Powergen saying that it won't be long). The question is, can I switch to another supplier already or will I receive some sort of penalty for doing so?

thanks, Karen
  • katherinemackenzie
    Cashback sites
    This may be a really stupid question, but if you click through to an energy cashback site, eg energyhelpline.com from another cashback site, eg topcashback.com or greasypalm, do you get double the cashback?
  • sisyphus
    Inconsistent comparisons.
    G'Day All,

i've put my details into all of the comparison sites mentioned in the article. They all give me the same competitors, with the same savings, up to 20% (nearly £200). Hoorah! That makes it worth the hassle and the risk, to my mind.

But there's one anomaly. UKPower gives me the same competitors, and exactly the same expected *costs*, but reckons i'll only save 5-6%. :confused: At about £50 that's just not worth the risk. So what's going on? Have UKPower got the wrong calculation or tariff for my current supplier (Powergen)?

Anyone else found this? Anyone care enough to investigate - Martin?
  • sisyphus
    This may be a really stupid question, but if you click through to an energy cashback site, eg energyhelpline.com from another cashback site, eg topcashback.com or greasypalm, do you get double the cashback?
    by katherinemackenzie
    Katherine,

Points for optimism, but nope. Basically you pick up a 'flag' which says "use this offer". When you pick up a different flag which says "use this other offer" it supersedes the previous one. You can only hold one flag at a time. This is done with browser 'cookies', which you may have heard of.
  • bendtoy
    Hi everyone my first post LOL.

I have used these comparison sites for many years now to show people what most know.The results are very varied indeed.
    I have been with Telecomplus now for seven years using most if not all their services.T+ offered the guaranteed cheapest energy for many years but sites such as USwitch wouldnt include them in the comparisons because there was no payment to them.T+ are a referal biz only through distributors like myself.
    When pen to paper was put down none of the other utility companies came close so please be careful with these sites.I would say get concrete prices and do some research yourself,you will get a better result.

Cheers
    Choc
    by Choc
    Telecom Plus
    Last edited by bendtoy; 22-08-2006 at 11:53 PM.
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 23rd Aug 06, 10:43 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ecclesto
    Help
    New to this game of internet checking as I usually phone and speak to someone. Surely best way of checking is to match unit prices etc. I have had my gas and electic prices capped since 2003 and was shocked when new tariff prices were double. Last year I used 20,504kwh gas and 1331 units electric. Scottish power(my provider) said my direct debits payments should be going from £20 to £65 per month. Now I'm no genius but if the rates have doubled per unit how come my bills are going up 3 times as much.Tried threatening scottish power with taking my custom elsewhere but to no avail. Also my house is 4 years old and apparently I have an INDEPENDANT GAS PROVIDER so some companies don't quote the £40 extra per year I have to pay? What a minefield. What I need is some kind person out there to save me from taking a long run off short pier and let me know best deal. Can Anybody please help as I am sitting on fence wasting money.
    Last edited by ecclesto; 27-08-2006 at 9:22 AM.
    • cdunne
    • By cdunne 23rd Aug 06, 11:59 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    cdunne
    uswitch champagne offer
    How many bottles are people receiving with this offer?

I reveived one, then anouther and then yesterday a third came through!
  • bassman
    POWERGEN increase my tariff by 46% not 18%
    Powergen Online dual fuel tariff is due to rise on September 6th.

I rang them this morning to get the new prices, and was astonished to find that my electricity secondary units price (the one you use the most of) is due to rise from 6.98p to 10.21p per kwh............this is a fantastic...46%

I phoned again to check this, and it is correct.

What they appear to have done, is brought the online dualfuel rate upto the normal dual fuel rate....the only incentive I now get is 2% discount for being totally online.

When i switched 6 months ago(after everyone had increased their prices) Uswitch and Energyhelpline showed I had the best deal..........NOW! I am about 20th in both of their leagues......I feel a switch on the cards....

But isn't that a disgrace...........46%
    Last edited by bassman; 23-08-2006 at 1:04 PM.
  • bosseye
    This is my first thread - and hopefully i have just saved 29% on my bills!Can anyone settle my one worry - i am currnetly in credit with both my current suppliers, will they credit my bank account with the monies once the change is processed? Or will i have to chase the refunds from them as i have to- to get them to correct double billing errors for the same period?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 23rd Aug 06, 1:22 PM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,704 Thanks
    Cardew
    Throughout this forum lots of people write "I have saved £xxx per year"

With respect you haven't saved that sum, that really is a case of 'counting your chickens'. In these days of ever changing and leapfrogging tariffs you won't know what you have saved until the end of the year - and then only with great difficulty.

Even then there is a high probability you would have saved more if you had opted for a different tariff!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,183Posts Today

6,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin