Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • nick.gale
    • 17th Nov 09, 12:51 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 12:51 PM
    Is the lack of response to this down to MSE forum members wit?

i.e. no one's seen it 'cos they're not surfing the web any more?
    • Denando
    • By Denando 17th Nov 09, 1:44 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Denando
    • 17th Nov 09, 1:44 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 1:44 PM
    Blame the credit crunch ... all those people who were made redundant from their office jobs in the City don't spend as much time in front of a computer any more!
  • kitka
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:23 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:23 PM
    interstng thought...dont think the credit crunch would effect web traffic, more the opposite really...people sholud be seaching through more and more sites for better deals?
  • tubbee2
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:30 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:30 PM
    i've been using the web since 1996, firstly for research purposes and then - inevitably - for recreation and lifestyle. I visit MSE and a couple of other sites when I remember, but there is so much stuff on the web now it takes ages to find anything else worth finding. I wouldn't be at all surprised if falloff is due to users finding it difficult to discover what they are looking for and using other routes of discovery.
    Artificial intelligence - no match for natural stupidity
  • instaunt
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:45 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 2:45 PM
    Like you said, Google trends only works with people who have the Google toolbar installed. Most of them are not Facebook users I would imagine. Forums are for the solid internet user. Facebook is for people with attention deficit disorder which I hear there is a growing number of.
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 17th Nov 09, 3:29 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:29 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:29 PM
    Is it browser technology ? Can you view a site without leaving a foot print ?
    J_B.
  • billythechimp
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:44 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:44 PM
    Is it browser technology ? Can you view a site without leaving a foot print ?
    J_B.
    Originally posted by Joe_Bloggs
    I was wondering this. In particular, I use an rss reader for almost all my news sites these days, MSE included. If prevalent, this would hugely reduce web traffic, but I'm not sure enough people use this kind of technology enough yet to make such a significant impact.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Nov 09, 4:15 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:15 PM
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:15 PM
    I was wondering this. In particular, I use an rss reader for almost all my news sites these days, MSE included. If prevalent, this would hugely reduce web traffic, but I'm not sure enough people use this kind of technology enough yet to make such a significant impact.
    Originally posted by billythechimp
    Interesting point - but then it wouldn't show up in our site figures either as you're reading off site - so that isn't the issue.

For me it has to be about the UK's proportion of world web traffic as there's a growth in country in early stages of internet adoption.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • russell07
    My initial thoughts are that perhaps, like me, people are slowly moving towards website aggregators (such as google reader, netvibes, etc) to cope with the sheer volume of information now on the web into bits that are most interesting to the users. As such they would typically spend most of their "surfing" time on this particular site - viewing external content within it (e.g. most blogs post their full blog text via RSS).

Now I've never looked into Google Analytics and how the data is collected. From other posts I understand that you need a toolbar installed which would IMO give a sample of people more inclined to use other google (or web) tools such as RSS aggregators.

Also given that, possibly, a larger proportion of time is spent on the aggregator's site, less time is available to "free surf" the sites you've looked at like the BBC and Facebook which may lead to the apparent decline in actual visits?

Just my first thought...
    • jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    • By jay_girlsgirlsgirls 17th Nov 09, 4:24 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    interestingly, job sites like monster.com is also dropping rapidly - you would have thought this may be increasing due to the credit crunch!
  • IcyEars
    Couple of things. If you need the Google Toolbar installed, then it could be that most browsers now allow you to search directly from the address bar. This could mean that less people are using the Google toolbar. Since the update to this new browser feature is normally automatic, it could simply be that people are browsing in a different was and thus the data isn't being recorded anymore.

Also, I did a quick search (using the great god that is Google, of course) about Google Analytics and the Wikipedia entry for it does say that broswer plugins like AdBlock can stop the data being collected. The system also relies on Cookies so if the cookies are blocked, again the data won't be collected.

Maybe it is simply a case that as the UK is becoming more IT literate as a whole, and security conscious in particular, such security measures are adversley affecting the data being collected.
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 17th Nov 09, 6:03 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    I browse via Firefox with NoScript which gives the option of blocking google analytics. An ISP could serve up pages from a cache rather than burdon parts of their network with repetitive requests for the same information. It would be nice if they could pass on clicks if they are doing this.
    J_B.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Nov 09, 7:21 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Hi folks,

Remember what started this

MSE traffic is increasing (measured by analytics which is far more accurate) but Google trends shows it decreasing (and other UK sites).

So the aggregator type arguments don't fit the problem there.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • pippic
    We advertise our website on google adwords and on yahoo and we've noticed that often we aren't reaching our maximum daily spending limits which we did as a matter of course every day over the summer. We've been scratching our heads wondering why its been dropping and I think you're on to something here Martin, I don't think its just Google analytics, I think its a trend at the moment.
    No idea why though!!!!
  • anthony_hunt
    Bing!
    Martin

Microsoft have shipped Internet Explorer 8 to all XP and Vista machines via Windows update earlier this year. The new version CAN use Google or Yahoo toolbar, but defaults to Bing search.

This may be what has fudged your figures.

Anyone using IE8 who just "went with the flow" when installing won't be using Google toolbar any more.
    • smala01
    • By smala01 18th Nov 09, 8:46 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    smala01
    During the recession we consolidated all the company`s direct web access to a central location (in our case Dublin as we have a larger presence)

So even though we access sites in the UK our IP address will appear as Irish.

I know a lot of other companies have done a similar thing (usually to the US).

Martin - are you tracking just UK IP`s on your website?

Smala01
  • artumi_richard
    Differences
    Google trends measures search volumes, not visitors. so it says that less people are looking for the sites, not less people are visiting them.

As for the whole UK search volume, no
    Martin says "it seems the whole of the UK webspace is dropping in traffic, that cant be true." It's not. Less people are searching for facebook, bbc, ebay and amazon. Google trends says nothing about traffic.

I don't think you can assume that the two should correlate either. Once people have found face book and bbc and the like then many will book mark the sites and use the bookmarks, so they will not appear in google trends. Some may still google facebook everytime they want to get to the site, but as facebook reaches full market saturation you would expect it's search volumes to decrease in google.
  • geordie_lass
    I reach MSE via a bookmark rather than a Google search, like most regular MSE users, I suspect.

Does Google measure the traffic only to the homepage? My bookmark goes straight to the forums, specifically to one part of the forum actually.

Maybe ISP's are increasingly using proxy servers based in countries other than the UK.
  • alxx
    is this also compounded by technological migration?
    My gut reaction is to suggest that it is due to movement from the pc to mobile and other browsing devices which are not tracked.
    Secondly, reduced navigational search will have this effect.
    Thirdly, is this in fact a measure of the reduction in Google Traffic, not website traffic in the UK?!?!?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,094Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin