Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 4th Feb 05, 10:37 AM
    • 9,820 Posts
    • 24,075 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:37 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:37 AM
    corn beef hash was always a favourite in our house when we were kids...take a tin of cron beef and mash it into a pan of mash - -instant comfort food

goes down well with some beans and maybe a poched egg. cheap and filling
  • Lillibet
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:38 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:38 AM
    Jacket spuds/stuffed potato skins

Quiche

Cooked breakfast for dinner!

Beans on toast

Cheesey potato pie

HTH
  • fazer6
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:39 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:39 AM
    Soup.

Omlette and pasta/potatoes

Home made pizza.

Risotto/special fried rice/chow mein

(all these just use up leftovers and sprouting/wrinkly veg)

Sunday roast which gives you enough meat for a couple of extra meals (I use the leftovers in sandwiches for work and then for a meal). A whole roast chicken will go quite far on its own, then I guess once the meat's gone you could use the carcas to make your own stock, use that with leftover veg and you've got soup.
  • pickle
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:49 AM
    re; cheap meals
    • 4th Feb 05, 10:49 AM
    tuna patties
    noodle stirfry (with beef or chicken)
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 4th Feb 05, 11:21 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:21 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:21 AM
    sausage casserole
    bubble and squeak
    the famous BREVILLE MEAL which we have once a fortnight!!! (toasted sarnies!!!)
    BIG soup homemade of course, bulked out with pasta
    pasta with a tin of tuna and a dollop of pesto mixed in
    baked potatoes with toppings
    big omelette with old vegetables in it - onion, peas, carrots, anything goes
    leftover surprise... what we had for lunch (early - the kids got up early) fishfingers, chilli, chinese beef and veg and rice - all odd sized portions from the freezer
    pancakes with savoury fillings for main course then sweet for dessert
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Feb 05, 11:30 AM
    • 20,549 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:30 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:30 AM
    Spag Bol to use up sqidgy tomatoes and other veg (mushrooms,onions,peppers). Use stick blender for few secs to hide veg from faddy kids!!

Tortillas, uses up leftover meat(pork,beef,chicken) and any salad veg (lettuce,tomotoies,spring onion,peppers). Make owm salsa or kids put bbq sauce on theirs. I buy ready made wraps but the clever ones on here will make their own.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 4th Feb 05, 11:44 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:44 AM
    • 4th Feb 05, 11:44 AM
    Sweet and sour (using up leftover chicken or pork) with rice or noodles
    Vegetable chilli

I made pancakes this week with vegetables in a cheese sauce. If you make the pancakes and stack them with greaseproof paper. Then fill each one with the veg (I used onions, green pepper, carrots, courgettes, mushrooms) and sauce and roll up and put in a dish. Then put in the oven for 15 mins with grated cheese on top. It went down really well with the kids as they love pancakes, I had to warn them in advance that we were only having savoury ones though lol
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 4th Feb 05, 1:11 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    • 4th Feb 05, 1:11 PM
    • 4th Feb 05, 1:11 PM
    Tuna and pasta - mix a tin of tuna, tin of economy tomatoes and pasta together, add garlic and tomato puree if you like.
  • archived user
    Theres many more ideas here, that i could have imagined. keep them coming guys we have a great idea for a thread here.
  • chardonnay
    we have spicy mince

make bolognese (not too runny) and add tabasco sauce, hot pepper sauce or chilli sauce (or leave as bolognese if you're not fond of spices. add to cooked pasta shells, stir till shells fill up and serve. quick and easy
    • elona
    • By elona 4th Feb 05, 2:03 PM
    • 11,151 Posts
    • 63,468 Thanks
    elona
    I just made a massive vegetable curry for under 1. I used the slow cooker
    Stewpack of carrots,parsnip,turnip and onion( reduced to 49 pence))
    Few potatoes from sack
    extra onion
    tin tomatoes
    curry powder.
    red pepper (lurking in veg. rack )

Started it off in microwave to get liquid hot and veg slightly softened then tossed it all in slow cooker and left for hours.

Just tried it and really tasty - even dear husband liked it!

Another cheap idea is a large home made yorkshire pudding with vegetables and gravy - husband loves this as well and feels that he is being spoilt!

Costs hardly anything and there was a whole thread on how to make perfect yorkies on this board.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 4th Feb 05, 4:30 PM
    • 3,983 Posts
    • 7,557 Thanks
    culpepper
    cowboy beans from the feed your family for 5 a day book
    Basically..Fried onions,add kidney beans (soaked or tinned),peppers,mushrooms,tinned tomatoes.
    cook.
    Serve with rice or baked potatoes

Add mince and chilli powder if you like.Cheaper without though.
    • crana999
    • By crana999 4th Feb 05, 4:58 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    Chilli made from tin tomatoes, tin (or soaked & cooked dried) kidney beans, tin sweetcorn, chilli sauce (or similar source of chili!), bit of powdered coriander & cumin if you have them, served with rice.

pasta with almost anything

my friend's "Peasant pasta": soaked & cooked dried green lentils, tin tomatoes, some chillis, some onion if liked, served with pasta (wholemeal is good) and grated cheese if you have any
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 4th Feb 05, 6:13 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    I just made a massive vegetable curry for under 1. I used the slow cooker
    Stewpack of carrots,parsnip,turnip and onion( reduced to 49 pence))
    Few potatoes from sack
    tin tomatoes
    by elona
    we seem to shop the same elona! it was one of those stew packs that I used for my curry except i'd used the carrots with the slow cooker turkey and as I had the sauce donated i didnt need onions or curry powder this time. heehee.
    Blah
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 4th Feb 05, 6:15 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    I am trying to come up with some main meals that are relatively cheap to cook, just for a bit of inspiration really and a kick up the derierre to give my moneysaving a good start.

The only things i can think of at the moment is :

Liver and onions.

Cottage/shepherds pie

Toad in the hole

Fish Fingers

any other ideas that i can add to my list?
    by Judi
    i use lots of pasta, rice and potato to keep my costs down. oh and 8p noodles!
    Blah
    • tiff
    • By tiff 4th Feb 05, 6:28 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I'd say we are about 50% vegetarian now. Because I had to cut down the shopping bill I tended to cut back on meat for some reason, but no-one in this house has really noticed (apart from the flatulence problems!!) A lot of the cheap meals are veg based and as long as you vary the menu you never get bored. I wouldnt want to go completely vegetarian as I love sausages and bacon too much.

I must look out for those stew packs, I automatically steer away from them thinking it must be cheaper to buy the veg separately.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • ashmit
    • By ashmit 4th Feb 05, 6:45 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    ashmit
    Don't forget fishcakes - mash and a tin of salmon or tuna - you can fry some onions to mix in with them or something if you're feeling extravagent!
    • student100
    • By student100 4th Feb 05, 7:26 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    student100
    Macaroni (or other pasta) & cheese

Pasta carbonara

Omelette

Egg/cheese etc on toast

Jacket potato and stuff

Pancakes - American style ones usually because they're easier to cook. Very filling & cheap snack!

Mince-based dishes (spag bol/cottage pie/chilli with rice/tortillas etc)

other pasta stuff...

(can you tell I'm a student? )
  • Quackers
    Macoroni cheese with tuna & sweetcorn added. Veggie me has it with peppers, mushrooms & courgettes. Cooked and served on the side

couscous is nice with a veggie pasta sauce. Add some sausage to hubbies plate.

Cheese & onion pie - mash potato, cheese and cooked onions all mashed together with some sliced tomatoes on top and cooked in oven.

I hardly ever have omlettes - mainly 'cos I wont cook eggs although I love eating them (dont ask!) but all those egg adverts on tv have got me thinking. Anything in cupboards can be added to an omlette to make a meal.

Jacket potatoes - cook and scoop out filling. Mix with butter, cheese and anything else you have in - mushrooms, leeks, bacon etc and put back into skins and put back in oven for 15-20 mins - gorgeous.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,597Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter