Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 7th Aug 06, 10:56 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great Tips to Cut Postage Costs Hunt
    • 7th Aug 06, 10:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Great Tips to Cut Postage Costs Hunt 7th Aug 06 at 10:56 AM
    What's it all about?

As you may've seen advertised on TV recently, the way some postage costs are calculated is changing on 21 August with post being calculated depending on size and weight rather than just weight. There's more detailed info about exactly which prices are changing on the Royal Mail website including an online demonstration.

What to do?

So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of experience and knowledge to compile a list of top tips on how to cut your postage costs.

Click reply to give your ideas or discuss

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 12-01-2007 at 4:55 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • nilocmac
    • By nilocmac 7th Aug 06, 11:12 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    nilocmac
    • 7th Aug 06, 11:12 AM
    • 7th Aug 06, 11:12 AM
    Fold over A4 sheets of paper (they become A5) so that you can send them as letters rather than small packets under the new scheme.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-08-2006 at 4:46 PM.
    • wileycat
    • By wileycat 7th Aug 06, 11:35 AM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    wileycat
    • 7th Aug 06, 11:35 AM
    • 7th Aug 06, 11:35 AM
    On letters up to A5 you'll now get up to 100g for the 32p level! So make the most of the letter size, if its machineable letter size it'll get sorted and delivered quicker!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-08-2006 at 4:47 PM.
  • chatta
    • 7th Aug 06, 8:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 8:33 PM
    I was told by PO that when posting a magazine, leave both ends open unsealed as its cheaper, please dont ask me why.
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 7th Aug 06, 9:00 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:00 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:00 PM
    Guys, please don't make posts that are conspiring to commit fraud.

Ways to get around paying for postage at all are not what Martin intended to be posted on this thread, not only this, but you'd be breaking the law by carrying out these "tricks" too!
    Last edited by ukmonkey; 07-08-2006 at 9:03 PM.
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 7th Aug 06, 9:02 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:02 PM
    If you are sending DVD's/CD's perhaps try sending them without a "DVD style" case, instead put them in a plastic sleeve, and then perhaps in a board-backed envelope...

I don't mean if its a retail dvd/cd!

If I put, for example, my holiday snaps on a cd for you, I'd send it to you in a plastic sleeve instead of in a "dvd style" case.

If I were selling you a DVD Movie on eBay for example, I'd send it to you in the "proper" case (although you'd pay the postage).
    Last edited by ukmonkey; 16-08-2006 at 5:13 PM.
  • Seesaw
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:24 PM
    Costco sell stamps in bulk (sorry, not sure on qualities) and they were around 4p cheaper each
    • marleyboy
    • By marleyboy 7th Aug 06, 9:35 PM
    • 14,803 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    marleyboy
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:35 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 9:35 PM
    Simply send an email, its faster, cheaper and has a lot more chance of getting to its reciever.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-08-2006 at 3:09 PM.
    1+1+1=1
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 7th Aug 06, 10:22 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    • 7th Aug 06, 10:22 PM
    • 7th Aug 06, 10:22 PM
    Stamp dealers can buy them at a substantial discount to the face price. I sell quite a bit on ebay and I buy packs of 100 stamps from discountstamps@gmail.com and find them reliable and much cheaper than post office prices.

Mr T
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 7th Aug 06, 10:25 PM
    • 7,977 Posts
    • 20,015 Thanks
    meerustar
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/r...diaId=22700472

Here you can order up to 3 postage size guides for FREE so you can check your mail before you post.

HTH
  • edina
    I WORK FOR THE Royal Mail & if i was sorting such mail, it would be put in the surcharge box, so the person that is being sent the mail would have a 1 surcharge added on. Also doing things like this will only make RM loose money, hence put prices up again.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 08-08-2006 at 4:35 PM.
  • Chester_Draws
    And dont forget, when you get junk mail with a pre-paid return envelope, pack it THICK with newspaper before posting it back.
    This will make Royal Mail more profitable as they will charge more to the junkers, and maybe stop future price rises.
    Bad Spellers of the world untie
    • Nile
    • By Nile 7th Aug 06, 11:14 PM
    • 14,344 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    Nile
    If your postie puts someone else's mail through your letterbox, or your mail is posted to a neighbour's address in error.........despite the correct address on the envelope............write to complain. You might get a book of stamps with your letter of apology.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • mmlh
    • By mmlh 7th Aug 06, 11:16 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    mmlh
    maybe stop future price rises.
    by Chester_Draws
    very unlikely
    • Happy shopper
    • By Happy shopper 8th Aug 06, 9:26 AM
    • 6,435 Posts
    • 15,150 Thanks
    Happy shopper
    Send cards / prezzies early enough so that they will get there on time by second class (or does that look cheap? Maybe not Valentine's cards then. ). I know it's obvious but I've been caught out loads of times and had to shove things in first class at the last minute.
  • stiffnuts69
    Guys, please don't make posts that are conspiring to commit fraud.

Ways to get around paying for postage at all are not what Martin intended to be posted on this thread, not only this, but you'd be breaking the law by carrying out these "tricks" too!
    by ukmonkey
    What the hell do you meany by this. What posts are conspiring to commit fraud.

How would you be breaking the law by carrying out these tricks.
    Last edited by Former MSE Forum Manager; 23-08-2006 at 4:01 PM.
    • mrsw
    • By mrsw 8th Aug 06, 10:27 AM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    mrsw
    What the hell do you meany by this. What posts are conspiring to commit fraud.

How would you be breaking the law by carrying out these tricks.

Your talking out of your £$%^
    by stiffnuts69
    I think there was a post by cheepsk8 that was removed.
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 8th Aug 06, 10:43 AM
    • 7,977 Posts
    • 20,015 Thanks
    meerustar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone saying yonks ago that you cannot deface a stamp as it has the queens head on it (or something) and that Royal Mail can refuse to deliver if taped over or glued on with anything other than the original glue/sticker.

Not sure if its true but I've never sellotaped over a stamp. I know we're all moneysavers but it's only 32p or whatever ... and quite reasonable too I think to send my family a card on the other side of the country.
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 8th Aug 06, 1:48 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone saying yonks ago that you cannot deface a stamp as it has the queens head on it (or something) and that Royal Mail can refuse to deliver if taped over or glued on with anything other than the original glue/sticker.

Not sure if its true but I've never sellotaped over a stamp. I know we're all moneysavers but it's only 32p or whatever ... and quite reasonable too I think to send my family a card on the other side of the country.
    by meerustar
    The items would almost certainly be treated as having no postage paid, and surcharged for the missing postage plus a handling fee of c1.00

Not sure about all the stuff about it having a Queens head or anything, but it could be seen as an attempted to defraud, or obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.
  • Portlandbill
    Your talking out of your £$%^
    by stiffnuts69
    Charming response !!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

7,713Users online

Martin's Twitter