Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 26th Oct 09, 1:30 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Barclays customers face delays following system error
    • 26th Oct 09, 1:30 PM
    MSE News: Barclays customers face delays following system error 26th Oct 09 at 1:30 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"It has led to huge queues in some branches and at ATMs, and reports of customers being unable to log into their online banking or unable to access telephone banking ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 26-10-2009 at 3:17 PM.
Page 1
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 26th Oct 09, 2:11 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:11 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:11 PM
    Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. Barclays has (in my opinion) THE WORST on-line banking system of all UK banks. Very unintuitive to use, and that is when it works. For years now, their constricted IT infrastructure has been unable to handle customer requests at peak times during the day. And this is exceptionally poor around the 1st of each month. I've moved my banking to another institution with a RELIABLE on-line banking system for this very reason.
  • BenL
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:15 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:15 PM
    June - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8103271.stm

July - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8171421.stm

and now this in October.

Seems to have quite a few failures
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • dwichmann
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:23 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:23 PM
    Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. Barclays has (in my opinion) THE WORST on-line banking system of all UK banks. Very unintuitive to use, and that is when it works. For years now, their constricted IT infrastructure has been unable to handle customer requests at peak times during the day. And this is exceptionally poor around the 1st of each month. I've moved my banking to another institution with a RELIABLE on-line banking system for this very reason.
    Originally posted by wizk1
    i couldnt disagree more, i find the online service excellent and since the introduction of Pinsentry (well over 12 months ago) they have had no reported cases of online banking fraud. How many other banks can claim that.

Personally i have also found the online service to be quick and easy to use. Its one of the reasons ive stayed with Barclays
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 26th Oct 09, 2:33 PM
    • 6,939 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:33 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 2:33 PM
    Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. Barclays has (in my opinion) THE WORST on-line banking system of all UK banks.
    I have to disagree with you.

I was a customer for less than a day after I discovered Abbey's Internet Banking offering - more than 1/2 the links wouldn't work on their site (that, and their inability to send out transfer forms for ISAs.)

I regularly use Barclays, LTSB, HBOS, Egg, Amex and Nationwide, and I've found Egg to be the worst when it comes to uptime.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 26th Oct 09, 3:46 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 26th Oct 09, 3:46 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 3:46 PM
    i couldnt disagree more, i find the online service excellent and since the introduction of Pinsentry (well over 12 months ago) they have had no reported cases of online banking fraud. How many other banks can claim that.

Personally i have also found the online service to be quick and easy to use. Its one of the reasons ive stayed with Barclays
    Originally posted by dwichmann
    I've found that more of a hindrance than anything else. When I want to use online banking, I don't have the device at hand. So I either have to ring, or wait until I get home. So much for instant access!
    • Cash Flow
    • By Cash Flow 26th Oct 09, 4:17 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    Cash Flow
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:17 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:17 PM
    I've found that more of a hindrance than anything else. When I want to use online banking, I don't have the device at hand. So I either have to ring, or wait until I get home. So much for instant access!
    You don't need to use the PINsentry device to access your account. The device is only required if you wish to make bank transfers or payments outside of the Barclays group
    • book12
    • By book12 26th Oct 09, 4:21 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    book12
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:21 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:21 PM
    Could you ask to be downgraded so that you don't need PINsentry to log in?

When I first opened my account, I don't need a PINsentry to login, but there was an option for me to upgrade though.

You don't need to use the PINsentry device to access your account. The device is only required if you wish to make bank transfers or payments outside of the Barclays group
    Originally posted by Cash Flow
    I tried to transfer money from my Barclays account to another person's Barclays account. It said I need a PINsentry device to do this. :confused:
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 26th Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    • 10,614 Posts
    • 38,567 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 26th Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    I've been a Barclays account holder for ten years & my account is invariably in credit.

I went to the nearest cashpoint (Lloyds) this morning to withdraw cash....then I tried the next (Nat West) ...then the next (local shop) ...then I had to give up.

Due to this c*ck up I had to borrow money from a friend to get to my hospital appointment today.

Thanks, Barclays. I think you just lost a customer.
    • book12
    • By book12 26th Oct 09, 7:20 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    book12
    I've been a Barclays account holder for ten years & my account is invariably in credit.

I went to the nearest cashpoint (Lloyds) this morning to withdraw cash....then I tried the next (Nat West) ...then the next (local shop) ...then I had to give up.

Due to this c*ck up I had to borrow money from a friend to get to my hospital appointment today.

Thanks, Barclays. I think you just lost a customer.
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    No need to close a bank account with Barclays, just for the small/rare mistake. These kinds of mistake rarely happens to banks, including Barclays. At least they fix it asap though.
  • mackers8923
    I hope all the people who have had problems today charge barclays 39 for the trouble they have had!!!
  • Extant
    I hope all the people who have had problems today charge barclays 39 for the trouble they have had!!!
    Originally posted by mackers8923
    Why 39? Barclays never had a 39 charge.

And more to the point, there's no agreement for a customer to charge the bank, and nor is there any reason - their systems were down for 2-3 hours, no critical payments (Direct Debits/Standing Orders) were affected, and service resumed quickly.

Yes it's a pain, and yes it's very embarrassing for them. But good luck trying to charge them.
    What would William Shatner do?
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 26th Oct 09, 9:01 PM
    • 6,939 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    No need to close a bank account with Barclays, just for the small/rare mistake. These kinds of mistake rarely happens to banks, including Barclays. At least they fix it asap though.
    Originally posted by book12
    The problem is, this isn't rare for Barclays - they've had a spate of problems recently.

We'll start with: 11th May 2009: Barclays to lay off more tech staff

16th June: Barclays IT systems have a strop

27th July: Barclays online banking borked

7th September: Barclays online banking takes a dive

5th October: Barclaycard drops offline

26th October: Barclays computers suffer Monday morning meltdown
  • oxenryd
    The problem is, this isn't rare for Barclays - they've had a spate of problems recently.

We'll start with: 11th May 2009: Barclays to lay off more tech staff

16th June: Barclays IT systems have a strop

27th July: Barclays online banking borked

7th September: Barclays online banking takes a dive

5th October: Barclaycard drops offline

26th October: Barclays computers suffer Monday morning meltdown
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    Try Abbey

Thursday 1st October
    Friday 2nd October
    Originally Posted by Dr Cuckoo3
    Your bank and bank card does say something about the kind of person you are: Big 4 banks=sheep,Santander=someone who doesnt mind incompetence,COOP=Ethical views,a campaigner,First Direct/Coventry=someone who thinks they are better than others,NI Bank card when living on the mainland=Aspergers
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 27th Oct 09, 7:46 AM
    • 10,614 Posts
    • 38,567 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I beg to differ: if my neighbour had not stepped in I would have had to cancel a hospital appointment as I could not get at MY money. I don't call that 'small'.

I don't want to reward bad service any more.

My disatisfaction with Barclays cr*ppy service is actually long-term, it is also directly related to my banking needs: this was the final straw.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 27th Oct 09, 7:48 AM
    • 6,939 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Try Abbey

Thursday 1st October
    Friday 2nd October
    Originally posted by oxenryd
    Erm, no. See post #5
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 27th Oct 09, 8:33 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    Originally posted by Cash Flow
    I know this. :rolleyes: Your point being....?

Could you ask to be downgraded so that you don't need PINsentry to log in?
    Nope. Once you've got PIN Sentry, there's no going back. Quite happy with Halifax right now. So will be sticking with them.
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 27th Oct 09, 8:37 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    ...And just for the record... PIN Sentry is not completely secure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/8325477.stm

If you're a victim of fraud using Barclays online banking, you're less likely to have your money returned to you, as it will be very difficult for you to prove that a bogus card reader was used. Barclays would argue that you were negligent with your PIN. This system just makes it easier for them to pass the blame onto the customer.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 27th Oct 09, 9:37 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Wizk1 you are right, will always be right on that ,banks have always and will always be about their profit.By any means they can get away with,they just move the goal posts when ever it suits them.

People who wish not too see this in the past and current recession have vested interests or some other personal agenda

Customers are just the means to that excessive profit end.If you can,t fight or don,t have the time, don,t know how etc you lose.

This site is for these people I have felt and has helped many.

I start from a place of complete and utter mistrust when dealing with them.
    If this sounds unusual or odd,its not about the hard working staff at all.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 27th Oct 09, 10:19 AM
    • 20,212 Posts
    • 15,397 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Wizk1 you are right, will always be right on that ,banks have always and will always be about their profit.By any means they can get away with,they just move the goal posts when ever it suits them.

People who wish not too see this in the past and current recession have vested interests or some other personal agenda

Customers are just the means to that excessive profit end.If you can,t fight or don,t have the time, don,t know how etc you lose.

This site is for these people I have felt and has helped many.

I start from a place of complete and utter mistrust when dealing with them.
    If this sounds unusual or odd,its not about the hard working staff at all.
    Originally posted by TOP CAT
    Of course they are! They're not a bloody charity!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,717Users online

Martin's Twitter