Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 22nd Oct 09, 3:10 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Ovo hits back in online energy price war
    • 22nd Oct 09, 3:10 PM
    MSE News: Ovo hits back in online energy price war 22nd Oct 09 at 3:10 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Energy supplier Ovo has slashed the price of its cheapest tariff by around 50/year ..."

Page 1
    • 1carminestocky
    • By 1carminestocky 22nd Oct 09, 3:30 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    1carminestocky
    • 22nd Oct 09, 3:30 PM
    I think MSE should try and get to the bottom of what a couple of new customers have alleged has happened - namely they have been asked for DDs that bear no real relation to what they should be, in fact they are way higher and OVO have refused to reduce them for 6 months? Like I say, these are at the moment just anecdotal but AFAICT no company rep has explained what is happening.

PS Funnily enough, I think they have launched at the wrong time of year - they will clearly as a start up not want to allow punters to run up a deficit which can then be paid up in the Summer so maybe that's why the DD the afore-mentioned people have mentioned seem extraordinarily high. I would also want to get to know how they actually source their gas and electric, I can't seem to find a definitive statement on their site and how substantial their financial backing is. Anyone? Given the influence of this forum and the fact that they are a seemingly thrusting start-up after acquiring punters I'm amazed there isn't an OVO official presence on here
    Last edited by 1carminestocky; 22-10-2009 at 3:39 PM.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Oct 09, 3:30 PM
    • 27,974 Posts
    • 13,832 Thanks
    Cardew
    Going the right way IMO

Prices fixed for a year and a 60 exit penalty(which will deter switching 'tarts')
  • KimYeovil
    • 22nd Oct 09, 3:32 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 3:32 PM
    (Anyone else unable to dispel images of energy miner acrobats dangling on rubber bands in Cirque du Soleil and Professor Branestawn contraptions whenever Ovo is mentioned?)
  • Premier
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:15 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:15 PM
    Wow! Let me get this right. The company has slashed the cost of its energy it supplies to customers by 50/year.

Even for those who have already switched suppliers, that means savings of 100 /year.

Why wasn't everyone on them already if they were so cheap? Were 50/year cheaper than the rest, now 100 cheaper than the rest.

Somehow I don't think that'll apply to everyone though, eh???

It's a pity the MSE report doesn't give a link to the actual prices, rather than just reiterating the sales blurb from their marketing department.

Edit: to anyone interested, here is a link to their latest prices

http://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo_prices_091022.pdf

But I would suggest yousing a couple of the comparison sites in the resource bar above to decide if they would really give the savings stated.
    Last edited by Premier; 22-10-2009 at 6:22 PM.
  • Premier
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:38 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:38 PM
    Well I've just compared their prices for an E7 electric only customer based in the Eastern region.

Day units: was 10.3711p, now 10.38p (lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say its the same)

Night units: was 4.725p, now 5.67p an increase of 20%!!!

Standing charge: 63.00 per year (no change).

What am I missing here, that's a price increase rather than a 50 saving???
    :confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Duel fuel only. Great! :rolleyes:
    (I've no idea what their gas price used to be. Anyone have the previous tariff in full?)
    Last edited by Premier; 22-10-2009 at 6:43 PM.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    Wow! Let me get this right. The company has slashed the cost of its energy it supplies to customers by 50/year.

Even for those who have already switched suppliers, that means savings of 100 /year.

Why wasn't everyone on them already if they were so cheap? Were 50/year cheaper than the rest, now 100 cheaper than the rest.

Somehow I don't think that'll apply to everyone though, eh???

It's a pity the MSE report doesn't give a link to the actual prices, rather than just reiterating the sales blurb from their marketing department.

Edit: to anyone interested, here is a link to their latest prices

http://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo_prices_091022.pdf

But I would suggest yousing a couple of the comparison sites in the resource bar above to decide if they would really give the savings stated.
    Originally posted by Premier
    thanks for the price list.

again confusion from these companies, they quoting annual prices/savings etc.

this company seems different alright.

they have a high standing fixed month charge, in my region 5.25 a month and then charge low unit prices, so they have higher gaurantueed income.

<calculation removed as inaccurate>
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 22-10-2009 at 7:11 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    • 27,974 Posts
    • 13,832 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 22nd Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    Well I've just compared their prices for an E7 electric only customer based in the Eastern region.

Day units: was 10.3711p, now 10.38p (lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say its the same)

Night units: was 4.725p, now 5.67p an increase of 20%!!!

Standing charge: 63.00 per year (no change).

What am I missing here, that's a price increase rather than a 50 saving???
    :confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Duel fuel only. Great! :rolleyes:
    (I've no idea what their gas price used to be. Anyone have the previous tariff in full?)
    Originally posted by Premier

On my heavy consumption(Midlands) First Utility are mariginally the most expensive, but OVO are not far behind and are the better proposition IMO. First Utility have a 2 year tie-in and could double their prices tomorrow(their new tariff is not available in the Midlands)

For Average duel fuel consumption OVO are the cheapest.

For Elect only OVO are far from the cheapest.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Oct 09, 7:04 PM
    • 27,974 Posts
    • 13,832 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 22nd Oct 09, 7:04 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 7:04 PM

with this company I would be charged 15.75 flat fee and then approx 832 units usage at 0.083p per unit. Which would be almost 7 so around 23 a quarter, sounds way good to be true and amounts to much more than 50 a year saving.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Presumably you mean 8.3p per unit(0.083)

Unless my arithmetic is wrong 832 units would cost nearly 70 (not 7)
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 22nd Oct 09, 7:08 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Presumably you mean 8.3p per unit(0.083)

Unless my arithmetic is wrong 832 units would cost nearly 70 (not 7)
    Originally posted by Cardew
    makes more sense I misread it, it sounded way too good to be true.

so 70 and the 15 I save 15 a quarter, so to be fair they are cheap as atlantic are one of the cheapest about.

Unless of course it is someone with very low usage.

Howver if they dont allow manual payments, insist on DD's that are set too high etc. then they probably not worth bothering with.
  • KimYeovil
    Don't take this personally, Chrysalis. You may (or you may not) find this old clip very funny:

http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2007/08/original-recording-of-verizon-customer.html
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 22nd Oct 09, 9:29 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    not personal is a daft mistake for me to make no problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,494Posts Today

7,954Users online

Martin's Twitter