Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 15th Oct 09, 9:44 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: London tube and bus fares to rise
    • 15th Oct 09, 9:44 AM
    MSE News: London tube and bus fares to rise 15th Oct 09 at 9:44 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"London tube fares are to rise by 3.9% in January, it was announced today. Mayor Boris Johnson also said that bus fares in the capital will be going up by ..."

Read the full story:
    London tube and bus fares to rise

Page 1
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 15th Oct 09, 10:13 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:13 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:13 AM
    No doubt somebody will have been given a nice bonus for thinking this one up.
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 15th Oct 09, 10:20 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:20 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:20 AM
    No doubt somebody will have been given a nice bonus for thinking this one up.
    Originally posted by wizk1
    thasta bit negative isnt it? Do you live in London at all? Do you actually understand why they have to raise fares, which is due to the Labour government forcing PPI onto the Underground network which has ended up costing Londoners a fortune and a massive black hole in the finances of TFL.

It has been on the cards seince Metronet failed and the costs of renovating the Tube are now going through the roof. I dont mind an increase this small in fares as if it was left any longer they would've been going up by a lot more
    one of the famous 5
  • fatgit
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:25 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:25 AM
    This should be put in a local thread, not in a general thread.

London-centric
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 15th Oct 09, 10:44 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:44 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:44 AM
    This should be put in a local thread, not in a general thread.

London-centric
    Originally posted by fatgit
    dont see why - this part fo forum is about public transport is it not?

wizK1 - Just noticed your from scumberland.
    one of the famous 5
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 15th Oct 09, 10:47 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:47 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:47 AM
    wizK1 - Just noticed your from scumberland.
    Originally posted by geordieracer
    I live here because I work here. I'm a Tyneside boy at heart
    • DaleN
    • By DaleN 15th Oct 09, 10:59 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    DaleN
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:59 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 10:59 AM
    I'm not sure how a bus fare going from 1.00 to 1.20 (reported on BBC News, but not here) is only a 12.7% increase. When I do the maths that is 20%. 13.80 to 16.60 for a weekly bus pass is also a 20% increase. The only one that isn't changing is the 2 cash fare, so I suppose they're doing some sort of averaging exercise to spin the numbers better.
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 15th Oct 09, 11:07 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    • 15th Oct 09, 11:07 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 11:07 AM
    I live here because I work here. I'm a Tyneside boy at heart
    Originally posted by wizk1

Phew!
    one of the famous 5
  • Premier
    • 15th Oct 09, 11:36 AM
    • 15th Oct 09, 11:36 AM
    thasta bit negative isnt it? Do you live in London at all? Do you actually understand why they have to raise fares, which is due to the Labour government forcing PPI onto the Underground network which has ended up costing Londoners a fortune and a massive black hole in the finances of TFL...
    Originally posted by geordieracer
    BJ used that excuse last year when he increased prices by 6% blaming the 80m black hole he claimed was left by the previous administration.

Isn't this increase due, at least in part, because of a fall in passenger numbers. e.g over 6% less in August 2009 compared to the same month in 2008. The figgest fall in monthly passenger numbers for over 20 years!
    I wonder how many fewer passenger numbers they'll have with this 12.9%/20% increase in prices...and how much that will force up prices next year to compensate?
  • flyingscotno1
    London bus transport is some of the cheapest and most frequent service in Britain. Yes it is slow like other buses, but I'm paying 1.60 for just under 2 miles on the crowded Glasgow buses- and unlike London they aren't relativily new. Even the Tube on Oyster is good value compared to here, 1.20 single on our toy town network of 6 miles or something and only 1.60 there for all zone 1. Even season tickets are good value in comparison- I suppose that is the upside to living in London that at least the fares aren't expensive if everything else is!
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 15th Oct 09, 12:02 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    BJ used that excuse last year when he increased prices by 6% blaming the 80m black hole he claimed was left by the previous administration.

Isn't this increase due, at least in part, because of a fall in passenger numbers. e.g over 6% less in August 2009 compared to the same month in 2008. The figgest fall in monthly passenger numbers for over 20 years!
    I wonder how many fewer passenger numbers they'll have with this 12.9%/20% increase in prices...and how much that will force up prices next year to compensate?
    Originally posted by Premier

He did and the hole is still growing because of this... and the fall in tube usage is another reason for it.. less revenue = less renewals = more delays = less passengers wanting to travel because of = less revenue... and so the cycle grows.

Another problem is that when the tube shuts large sections of the nertwork at a weekend and puts on buses you dont have to touch in or out to travel so in effect its free travel for everyone on a bus = less revenue.

I mentioned this to them a few years ago and they told me it was too hard and expensive to do the checks so they just gave up!!
    one of the famous 5
  • Premier
    Ah yes, the buses.

How much does designing & building a new RouteMaster cost? Has BJ said yet? Tfl say it'll cost 12m just to cover the cost of replacing the existing bendy buses. Oh well, BJ did say it'll take 12 years to get a new RouteMaster, but he won't even say whether he be standing for re-election in a couple of years time. (I suppose it depends on whether "Dave" offers him a post in cabinet)

How much revenue will be lost when BJ abolishes the western extension to the congestion zone next year? Lets ignore the loss in revenue by BJ not adopting the 20 charge for the Chesea Tractors, eh? Well BJ seemed to!
    • poorbabe
    • By poorbabe 15th Oct 09, 12:57 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    poorbabe
    I'm guessing more cycles/bikes/scooters on the roads come January!

• terryya
    • By terryya 15th Oct 09, 1:10 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    terryya
    I must have missed all the dedicated threads for the price rises that every other part of the country has experienced over the last year or so! :confused:
  • Sol00
    London bus transport is some of the cheapest and most frequent service in Britain. Yes it is slow like other buses, but I'm paying 1.60 for just under 2 miles on the crowded Glasgow buses- and unlike London they aren't relativily new. Even the Tube on Oyster is good value compared to here, 1.20 single on our toy town network of 6 miles or something and only 1.60 there for all zone 1. Even season tickets are good value in comparison- I suppose that is the upside to living in London that at least the fares aren't expensive if everything else is!
    Originally posted by flyingscotno1
    A large amount of Glasgow's buses are new or newish, at least with First anyway.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 15th Oct 09, 5:13 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    So, let's see...

50p discount on Oyster PAYG cap compared with the equivalent paper travelcard will be withdrawn.
    1 child travelcard will be withdrawn
    One-day paper bus pass will be withdrawn
  • flyingscotno1
    A large amount of Glasgow's buses are new or newish, at least with First anyway.
    Originally posted by Sol00
    Define 'large amount' and 'newish'. They are crapped out (ex-London!) buses on the major route near me.
  • tradetime
    Ah yes, more evidence of the dastardly, deadly effects of deflation.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • Premier
    I'm guessing more cycles/bikes/scooters on the roads come January!
    Originally posted by poorbabe
    Yes, despite the apparent blackhole the finances BJ keeps banging on about, he's splashing out on 6000 new bikes for London. However, when asked in a recent LBC interview, he didn't know how much they cost each.
    Even Nick Ferrarri, well known for his conservative beliefs, couldn't stop himself giving BJ a ribbing over that.
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 16th Oct 09, 10:31 AM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    RichyRich
    1.20 is still incredibly good value for a single bus journey. It includes journeys such as Ilford to Oxford Circus and Wembley to Euston - a similar length journey in, say, Fife would be about 4.

The difference, of course, is that in London everyone pays for public transport whether they use it or not through their Council Tax, whereas everywhere else in the country it is paid for mainly by the people who use it (except in the case of socially necessary services secured by the local authority).

A 1.20 bus fare doesn't look so rosy accompanied by a 1,030 Council Tax bill for a one bedroomed flat in Bow!
    #145 Save 12k in 2016 Challenge: 12,062.62/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save 12k in 2017 Challenge: 11,03.70/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 12,976.79 Shortfall: 996.30
    This is the secret message.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

2,404Users online

Martin's Twitter