Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 6th Oct 09, 8:20 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Isa savings limit rises today for over 50s
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:20 AM
    MSE News: Isa savings limit rises today for over 50s 6th Oct 09 at 8:20 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Anyone aged 50 or over before next April will be allowed to save up to 5,100 in a tax-free savings account from today. This is because the cash Isa allowance has been raised by 1,500 per tax year from ..."

Page 1
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 6th Oct 09, 8:43 AM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:43 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:43 AM
    I've just topped up my NS&I Direct ISA with the full extra allowance of 1,500. They are one of the providers who allow your existing a/c to be added to rather than, as some providers are doing, making you open a new 'parallel account'.

I was a bit bemused though to find that I couldn't top up my Direct ISA via their website, which is the whole point of having a 'Direct ISA', because they haven't updated the website yet. So I had to do it by phone, which at least was free ... 0500 007 007 for anyone over 50 wanting to top up, and go through security with a gentleman at the other end.

The other aspect I find a bit silly is that I'm not allowed to top up my wife's ISA using my debit card, even though all the money comes out of our same joint bank account. So she'll have to go through the same process herself when she gets home from work. Hey ho :confused:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • Comfortably Numb
    • By Comfortably Numb 6th Oct 09, 8:54 AM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 9,408 Thanks
    Comfortably Numb
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:54 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:54 AM
    Just topped up my Lloyds TSB fixed rate ISA. No problems.
    • home_alone
    • By home_alone 6th Oct 09, 9:01 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    home_alone
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:01 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:01 AM
    We have just done our nat west isas.

gary
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 6th Oct 09, 9:09 AM
    • 6,211 Posts
    • 2,638 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:09 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:09 AM
    went to all the trouble asking Lloyds/Tsb waht to do, sent in cheque with own envelope & stamp..........guess what arrives yesterday..........letter & SAE.......... DOH
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 6th Oct 09, 9:29 AM
    • 20,102 Posts
    • 15,243 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:29 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 9:29 AM
    Haha you're all old (hehe I had to)
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 6th Oct 09, 10:21 AM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:21 AM
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:21 AM
    Haha you're all old (hehe I had to)
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    You won't be laughing when you see the insurance premium on that Mazda3 2.0 Sport young'un :rolleyes:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • steady__eddie
    • By steady__eddie 6th Oct 09, 5:32 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    steady__eddie
    • 6th Oct 09, 5:32 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 5:32 PM
    National Counties sent me the details by snail mail last week so I set up a standing order and it's gone out today. I really must remember to cancel the standing order tomorrow.
    Er indoors e-mailed Abbey on Sunday to see what they are doing. The branch informed her that somebody higher up in the food chain would be contacting her with info but nobody has yet. Today, she had a reply stating that they could not discuss individual cases by e-mail due to the insecurity and she was to ring 0845 etc. Her general query asked what Abbeys policy was on the additional allowance, no a/c. numbers, addresses, dates of birth or N.I. numbers. What is the security problem, commercial sensitiyity ? (rant over).
    As a matter of interest, does anyone know Abbeys stance on the additional allowance ?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 6th Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 7,330 Thanks
    pimento
    • 6th Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    Managed to top-up my husband's First Direct eISA today. As I was born 5 months too late, I'll be topping mine up next April.
    • david78
    • By david78 6th Oct 09, 6:59 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    david78
    I topped up cash ISA at Nationwide today. All went well. Took out their new 4% fixed for 3 years.

Don't have the money to top-up my Stocks and Shares ISA yet but will look to do that later in the tax year.

Thanks Mr Darling!!!
  • sandyargo
    Multiple ISAs
    I have a few ISAs from previous years; is it possible to top up all of them or is the top up only applicable to a 2009/10 ISA?
  • Baldur
    I have a few ISAs from previous years; is it possible to top up all of them or is the top up only applicable to a 2009/10 ISA?
    Originally posted by sandyargo
    Only the current tax year's ISA.

Nice try though......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin