Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 25th Sep 09, 5:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MSE News: Winter fuel cash boost for the over 60s
    • 25th Sep 09, 5:00 PM
    MSE News: Winter fuel cash boost for the over 60s 25th Sep 09 at 5:00 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Every household with an over 60 should be claiming winter fuel payment NOW ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 28-09-2009 at 1:04 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • lombadas
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:46 AM
    reclaim years 1997 to 2000?
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:46 AM
    Hi, does anyone have any more information regarding the possibility to claim for the years 1997 to 2000.

I was 60 years old at end of 1996 but do not remember getting this allowance

warm regards
    peter
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 30th Sep 09, 4:13 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    • 30th Sep 09, 4:13 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 4:13 PM
    My wife is in her early 60s and was told she couldn't claim because I am in my 50s and working. Can anyone enlighten me on this one please
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
    • 2muchfun
    • By 2muchfun 5th Oct 09, 7:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    2muchfun
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:34 PM
    Winter fuel payments
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:34 PM
    My other half gets the winter fuel payment & I'm still working. He's over 60 & I'm under 60. The rules shouldn't be sexist should they?
    My 91 year old uncle has now come to live with us - will he get an allowance too or is it per household?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Oct 09, 7:48 PM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:48 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:48 PM
    It is per household.

However, if anyone is over 80, the household gets £400 instead of £250
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Oct 09, 7:50 PM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:50 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:50 PM
    Hi, does anyone have any more information regarding the possibility to claim for the years 1997 to 2000.

warm regards
    peter
    Originally posted by lombadas
    You cannot claim for previous missed years.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 5th Oct 09, 9:10 PM
    • 6,560 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 5th Oct 09, 9:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 9:10 PM
    Hi,

warm regards
    peter
    Originally posted by lombadas
    if you read the article in the first post you will find this:

Backdated payments
    While you can't claim backdated payments from 2001-onwards, you can claim for winters between 1997 and 2000 inclusive.

so, seems to suit you sir.
    Y'all take care now.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 5th Oct 09, 9:16 PM
    • 6,560 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 5th Oct 09, 9:16 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 9:16 PM
    Hi,

My wife is in her early 60s and was told she couldn't claim because I am in my 50s and working. Can anyone enlighten me on this one please
    Originally posted by FreddieM
    you will find this in the article in post 1:

Every household with someone aged 60 or over is entitled to help towards their winter energy costs.

The over 60s can claim a lump sum up to £250 tax-free

Y'all take care now.
  • leebe10
    • 7th Oct 09, 9:41 PM
    Winter 'sunshine' payments
    • 7th Oct 09, 9:41 PM
    Why are my & your Taxes being used to pay this allowance to over 60's living abroad & to those who's financail postion does not warrent such payments being made ?
    Instead, the money would be better spent properly insulating homes & improving outdated heating systems, along with increasing the allowance levels to those most in need.
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 7th Oct 09, 9:58 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    Hope you are wearing a fire retarded suit expect some feedback

Why are my & your Taxes being used to pay this allowance to over 60's living abroad & to those who's financail postion does not warrent such payments being made ?
    Instead, the money would be better spent properly insulating homes & improving outdated heating systems, along with increasing the allowance levels to those most in need.
    Originally posted by leebe10
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Oct 09, 10:03 PM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Cardew
    I understand that it only applies to those who had already had qualified for WFA and then moved to Europe. That is because of EEC commission rules.

How do you decide in UK 'whose financial position does not warrant such payments being made'?

Only those over 60 on benefits?

What if those on benefits are living with rich children.

There simply isn't a mechanism to means test households. It is actually cheaper to just pay it out rather than employ thousands of Civil Servants to check out claims every year.

While we are at it why not stop children's allowance - Child tax credits for those 'whose financial position does not warrant such payments being made'?

where do you stop when you start applying such criteria?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 8th Oct 09, 5:04 AM
    • 6,560 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Why are my & your Taxes being used to pay this allowance to those who's financail postion does not warrent such payments being made ?
    Originally posted by leebe10
    I take it from this that when your turn comes you will refuse it, along with your free bus pass, eye tests, prescriptions?

Maybe an eye test would help, you may have spotted your spelling mistakes. :rolleyes:
    Y'all take care now.
  • geoffrance
    I went to live in France when I retired at 58 years , after spending my whole life working in the Uk and paying my taxes, however as I moved before my 60th birthday I am not entitled to Winter fuel allowance( it gets colder in the winter here than the Uk, fuel costs are higher, and my pension is paid in £ sterling and converted at a 30% less amount than last year.)
    We can't sell the house as we would now return to the UK, and we are not alone, some British people here are claiming charity benefits!
    • amalis
    • By amalis 11th Nov 09, 10:32 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    amalis
    hmm.. i am not getting it. My mum is 62, not on benefits, but have no possession or saving whatsoever. But she is living in my home with me and my husband, who earn average UK salary. Can she claim?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Nov 09, 11:22 AM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Cardew
    hmm.. i am not getting it. My mum is 62, not on benefits, but have no possession or saving whatsoever. But she is living in my home with me and my husband, who earn average UK salary. Can she claim?
    Originally posted by amalis
    Yes - any household with anyone living there permanantly; the money is paid to her though.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 11th Nov 09, 12:54 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    You can't get a winter fuel payment if:
    • You are living in a care home.
    Unless things have changed I'm pretty sure you can, certainly if you are paying your own fees

At a reduced rate though.

Can anyone confirm?

Edit - yes confirmed. To be disqualified you have to be living in a care home AND receiving certain benefits
    Last edited by dzug1; 11-11-2009 at 1:05 PM.
  • kch
    You are not entitled to certain benefits if you have something like £6000 or more in savings. They could do something similar with the winter fuel payments.

It is a tricky one! There are so many children who live in poverty and their families can't afford food or heating and on the other hand you have got my in-laws, who go on holidays all over the world for 30 weeks of the year, who get the winter fuel payments. They aren't even in the country over the winter period!! The world doesn't seem right somehow.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Nov 09, 3:03 PM
    • 27,836 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Cardew
    You are not entitled to certain benefits if you have something like £6000 or more in savings. They could do something similar with the winter fuel payments.

It is a tricky one! There are so many children who live in poverty and their families can't afford food or heating and on the other hand you have got my in-laws, who go on holidays all over the world for 30 weeks of the year, who get the winter fuel payments. They aren't even in the country over the winter period!! The world doesn't seem right somehow.
    Originally posted by kch
    The Winter fuel payment is not means tested so even the very richest in the country are entitled to claim.

The justification of the payment is not really the issue in this thread. However if you take the line it should only be paid to the needy, should anyone over 60 get a retirement pension? Increased Tax allowances? etc etc.
  • Susiewelsh
    winter fuel payment.
    My hubby will be 60 in December.Would he be able to claim for this payment.
    Also does anyone know if it would be better for him to claim his own pension credit.I am disabled and claim for him and I am younger than him.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 12th Nov 09, 7:35 AM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    My hubby will be 60 in December.Would he be able to claim for this payment.
    Also does anyone know if it would be better for him to claim his own pension credit.I am disabled and claim for him and I am younger than him.
    Originally posted by Susiewelsh
    You need to be 60 in September of this year to receive the payment this year. He will be eligible next winter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin