Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-09-2009 at 5:36 PM.
Page 37
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 16th Sep 09, 8:33 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 49,952 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Another €17.48 gone down the drain yesterday for meat...OH is really into his lamb chops at present so costing a fortune....he had less than 100g of pork mince in his dinner to-day to make up some of the cost!

Now at €133.41 spend so far this month.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • ChocClare
    CHocClare - I have been dwelling over your words about how to oragnaise your salary - ie give to charity, save, pay bills - whats left use for food. As I mull that over I realise that the advise could work for me - I am more likely to be frugal if I know that there's no safety net. My new month starts next week and so I am going to give it a go.

Another NSD for me today.

Ninno x
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    Well done on the NSD, you're doing better than I am! And VERY well done for the "reverse" spend/save plan!

I don't think food was LAST on the list - I think the point was just that if you give to "the needy" first - and there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you, however skint you are - then save - and then live on whatever is left, then you will budget more wisely AND you will have savings AND you will have the karma inherent from giving to others. I peronally think it's a good plan - even if you don't save much you do always save something, and even if you don't give away much ditto.

I am lucky enough that I haven't had to think too carefully about budgeting in recent years; I joined the challenge for the first time this month precisely for that reason. My husband is self-employed and has had a number of minor illnesses - nothing life-threatening, thank God - but I just started to wonder what would happen if he couldn't work for any extended period of time and we suddenly had to live just on my income - or if I had to give up work to care for him. I'm hoping that if I budget and save now, that will never be a problem (of course, I'm hoping it will never be a problem ANYWAY because I don't want him to be ill ).

If it never happens, then I can spend all the money I save on chocolate... and, as my friend always says, chocolate always tastes better when it's been licked off Johnny Depp, so maybe I'll have enought to hire him for the day...
  • ChocClare
    who needs 24x185g tins of Tuna when only one person in the house eats it
    Originally posted by cw18
    cw18 - obviously your tins will last a long old time, but if you want something different that even tuna haters will eat, then do the following:

Drain 2 small tins of tuna and flake. Get a tin of crushed pineapple (I'm not sure they still make this, so any old pineapple will do - you want the medium-sized tin), drain and chop finely if not crushed (or put in food processor) and mix into tuna. Now add one small, finely chopped onion, 2oz finely grated cheese, 4 tblsps mayonnaise (or half and half mayonnaise and salad cream, which is actually nicer) and a teaspoon of mustard. Mix well, and then add a sachet of gelatine, dissolved in a small amount of hot water. Mix well again. Chill until set (you can use a mould if you want this for a party).

Edited to add: One major point: this recipe DOES need the gelatine. If you eat it "raw" - ie before you've left it to set - it doesn't taste anything LIKE so good.

This is a 1970's recipe from the Davis Gelatine cookbook which came free with the packets of gelatine, and it is the most successful recipe I have ever tried. And I promise I don't work for Davis Gelatine.

IT IS SO INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS THAT EVEN PEOPLE WHO HATE TUNA LOVE IT.

I have a fish-shaped mould that I put it in for buffets - there is never any left, sadly. My husband is always saying I should make this just for us - and he is one of life's tuna haters.

And the best thing about it? It freezes beautifully. You could make up a batch and freeze it in eg small margarine or yoghurt tubs and have something much yummier than a tin of tuna just waiting to be defrosted!
    Last edited by ChocClare; 16-09-2009 at 9:30 PM.
  • rosieben
    ChocClare - I love the tuna recipe I'd like to put it in the recipe index, what shall I call it? I'm going to try it myself, I love tuna (but I only have about 12 tins in the cupboard so Cheryl beats me )
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • cw18
    • By cw18 16th Sep 09, 9:13 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    May try that tuna thing for me as it can be frozen - but I'm not a lover of pineapple with meat (so dubious about trying it with fish), and DS won't eat pineapple at all. When I cooked for 3 of us and only 1 didn't like tuna, then he used to get stuck with it every couple of weeks. Now I'm only cooking for the two of us it's probably no more than once every couple of months !!!

Can actually see me using some up to make tuna mayo for lunch-time butties though - all I have in for that other than tuna is chocolate spread (yuck! that's for DS), yeast extract (mine, all mine ) and a few (10) jars of paste :rolleyes2 And as tuna mayo it will also do my lunch with a jacket potato
    Cheryl
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare - I love the tuna recipe I'd like to put it in the recipe index, what shall I call it? I'm going to try it myself, I love tuna (but I only have about 12 tins in the cupboard so Cheryl beats me )
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Well, we're terribly original, so we call it what it was called in my mum's recipe book... which is Tuna Fish Mousse - ah, the days when it was still called tuna fish and was expensive and your friends thought you were so posh if you had it in your sandwiches!
    (Mind you, I was at school with an Iranian boy who had caviar sandwiches for lunch because caviar was dirt cheap where he was from and his relatives used to bring it over)
    • cw18
    • By cw18 16th Sep 09, 9:14 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    (but I only have about 12 tins in the cupboard so Cheryl beats me )
    and I wasn't even including the 7 smaller tins that are already in mayo or a dressing
    Cheryl
  • ChocClare
    May try that tuna thing for me as it can be frozen - but I'm not a lover of pineapple with meat (so dubious about trying it with fish)
    Originally posted by cw18
    I couldn't agree more! The idea of pineapple with ANYTHING makes me want to heave! How anyone can have it on pizza *shudders*

However, trust me, you don't taste the pineapple in this qua pineapple - that's why the recipe orginally called for crushed pineapple - it seems to "melt" into it, if you see what I mean. The combination of that and the cheese and onion and mayo just makes it all incredibly moreish....mmmm, might have to make some... how much tuna have I got?

One major point: this recipe DOES need the gelatine. If you eat it "raw" - ie before you've left it to set - it doesn't taste anything LIKE so good. In fact, I'm going to edit my original post now to put that in as a caveat!
  • ChocClare
    Thank you - I've just edited the recipe because I suddenly thought that last time I made it, I only needed 4 tblsps mayo (probably because I used drained and fp'ed pineapple instead of crushed pineapple which was always drier). It will be sloppy when you add the gelatine, but it's not supposed to be THAT sloppy!
  • rosieben
    OK, Tuna Fish Mousse is now in the recipe list! I really like the sound of it, love tuna, love pineapple and - having done a complete list of all my food stocks on Monday - I know I have gelatin in the cupboard

Cheryl, I've never tried the tuna with the mayo or dressing, dont tempt me! I use tuna a lot with pasta, in quiches, sandwiches, salads and have been known to eat it straight from the tin having arrived home starving after working late

Edited to say that dsis has asked for my shopping list for tomorrow - she's off to sainsbugs. I only need potatoes! I asked for 2 packs of basics shortbread fingers as well, but I'm not telling you that!
    Last edited by rosieben; 16-09-2009 at 9:37 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 17th Sep 09, 5:22 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    Have failed this month - just had to restock freezer and have seen too many bargains for Christmas. Now I have stock in freezer and cupboards I'll reset my budget and start again on Monday until half term.

Honest!!!
    • notjustlaura
    • By notjustlaura 17th Sep 09, 6:48 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 5,992 Thanks
    notjustlaura
    scotsaver - Hmmm ... London ... Christmas pud ... I'll get me coat! Seriously though, my mum does the Christmas cooking but I'm sure she's used Delia's recipe in the past and it was scrumdillyumptions!

cw18 - Sorry to hear about the doggie troubles. Pets can be expensive beasts (but I love mine anyway!)

I didn't get my NSD yesterday. I realised at tea-time that I'd forgotten to buy sweetener in my main shop so had to go back to Lidl

Today, I'll need to buy my NRT so that'll be £7 gone. Be worth it though - I was spending over £10 a *day* on cigarettes ...
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 17th Sep 09, 6:52 AM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Today, I'll need to buy my NRT so that'll be £7 gone. Be worth it though - I was spending over £10 a *day* on cigarettes ...
    Originally posted by notjustlaura
    Wow, well done on quitting that kind of habit. How long have you been stopped for?

I quit one year ago (and 8 days, if we're counting!) with the OS method - nothing but willpower. I was insane for the first two days. It's been worth it though and I wouldn't start smoking again because I don't think I could go through quitting again
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th Sep 09, 7:13 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I've spent £26.33 this week and have updated my total. I also made 4 jars of green tomato chutney yesterday as I was fed up waiting for my tomatoes to turn red.
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 17th Sep 09, 7:27 AM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    I really want need some boots for winter. I don't want to spend all winter just wearing trainers.
    Soooooooo I am tempted to go and look at the shoes in Tesco's and Sainsbury's and see what they have there.

Do i count that as part of the Grocery shop though :rolleyes:

Two NSD on the trot (well apart from giving a £1 for a water bottle for DS at nursery) Will possibly blow a 3rd NSD if I see some boots that are suitable What's the betting I won't find anything that I like.....both a blessing and a curse.....
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • yummymummy05
    ooh major cooking day - have cooked a yummy fish pie (only have to warm it up for dinner) and i have mini apple crumbles in the oven - and a flapjack cooking!! Would have been a nsd but i forgot I needed cream for the fish pie!! typical!

will post the recipe for fish pie later when I have more time as it is especially yummy - plus I always get the fish whoopsied otherwise it wouldn't be quite so MSE!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • helen jelly
    Have failed this month - just had to restock freezer and have seen too many bargains for Christmas. Now I have stock in freezer and cupboards I'll reset my budget and start again on Monday until half term.

Honest!!!
    Originally posted by esmf73
    Hi - you haven't failed - you've used good judgement and bought ahead of time!! Thats what I tell myself lol

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 17th Sep 09, 2:02 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Another £22 spent in mrT's this morn i managed to get quite a lot too.
    I have also had a busy day in the kitchen, got casserole in slow cooker, done all washing - wash basket is acctually empty!!!, all dishes washed dryed and put away, made bread crumbs with last few slices of stale bread (now in the freezer for pasta bake next week) , peeled, chopped and stewed a load of apples ready for crumbles plus made extra crumble topping with last of flour for freezer. I've also been through my cupboards and done a meal plan for the next few days. I'm gonna list it here if no one minds, just i'm more likely to stick to it if i do this:rolleyes:
    Today - beef casserole and potatoes followed by apple crumble
    Fri - lasange and chips
    Sat - pie mash and veg
    Sun - chicken dinner followed by some sort of pud - i'll see what i have left by then
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • scotsaver
    As you can see from my signature my "little" shopping trip to Asda didn't go to plan and I've gone over Budget. However, I did pick up some Whoopsies, blueberries, some of which I have used in some Muffins I've baked and some the kids can have in their Lunchboxes tomorrow, also got a Free Range chicken whoopsied so have put that in the Freezer, also they had tins of Ye Old Oak Corned Beef rolled back to £1 so bought a few of those to stash away in the Cupboard.

So don't feel too bad as I've not "wasted" any money.

Dinner tonight will be Pasta with bacon and mushrooms and I've picked the last of the Rhubarb from the Garden and made a Rhubarb plate pie for Pud.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• shellsmithcat
    • By shellsmithcat 17th Sep 09, 3:39 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    shellsmithcat
    A visit to the farm shop today and another £9.83 spent on - 2 lt milk, 20 eggs, 4 pears, 3 nectarines, 3 large tomatoes and some flapjacks and ginger cake.
    Slimming World - SW 156 - CW 152.5 GW 133 - 19.5 lbs to go

March Grocery Challenge - £200
    Spend/Left
    164.60/35.40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter