Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Sep 09, 9:42 PM
    • 37,118Posts
    • 477,158Thanks
    pigpen
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th September 2009
    • 6th Sep 09, 9:42 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th September 2009 6th Sep 09 at 9:42 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week when it comes to housework, or just the motivation to do the dreaded housework tasks you have to do, come and join us, hopefully make it a little easier. You never know, you might start to enjoy it!

Following requests to start things steadier for new members who did not realise the tasks list wasnít a must do, just an encouragement. There will now be level 1, 2 and 3. Level 1 being very basic it has been requested that this is just one task per day, level 2 in the middle, up to 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. If you want to do level 2 you add the tasks on level 1 with the level 2 tasks, if you want to do level 3 you add the tasks on, easy peasy. Choose a level to aim for but be realistic, if youíve got a busy day on or are just starting etc aim for level one, if you get higher then great, if not then not to worry its only suggestions. Every room comes back around next week. Trust me some days I'll only be doing level one myself.

THESE LISTS ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS AND NOT A MUST DO LIST, ALWAYS WELCOME TO POST AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN.

Also adding a declutter mission each day. Another one where itís up to you if you want to do it or if you need to. This follows requests from members who are looking to declutter. Fling boogies, hotspot clearing, cupboard sorts, drawer sorts etc will all be on this list. Any problems with this of any suggestions do please let me know.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are any areas which if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a binbag and whizz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Binbag dance - Grab a binbag and run around the house filling it up with rubbish.. I like to do this the day the bins are due to be emptied.. it fills the bin and decutters!

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
    HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    5GC five minutes gardening.. make it lovely for your family and enjoy it!

Ok here goes this week!

Manic Monday ~ Kitchen of Grot and Diming Room of Gloom
    Level One
    Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
    Find and wipe the worksurfaces
    Level Two
    Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Wipe small appliances and replace.. do one thoroughly.. descale or decrumb or degunge!
    Clear a sticky dishevelled cupboard
    Level Three
    Wipe the table and replace the cloth if necessary.
    HHI
    Clean the oven and hob..

Extras
    1. Clean out the fridge.. make use of anything almost past its best
    2. Wash the windows
    3. Binbag dance
    4. Dust and Deweb
    Tickly Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level 1
    Vacuum floors and sofas
    Level 2
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level 3
    Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing in preparation for cold weather!! See if there are any that don't fit, past their best or just plain uncomfy which could leave the house!

Extra
    1. Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
    2. Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
    3. Clean a window or two.
    4. Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves
    Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & LandingLevel 1
    Check fire alarms are working
    Arrange for gas fires/boilers to be serviced and/or chimneys to be swept BEFORE you need to use them!
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs.. (make sure to do the bed base.. mine was gross last week!)
    Vacuum and turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed

Extras
    1. 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    2. put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. donít store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!!
    3. Clean windows in these rooms
    Thursday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One
    Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
    Level Two
    Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!! (baby wipes are fantastic for this!!)
    Wipe keyboard, house phone and mouse (these usually have more germs on than your toilet so important)..
    Level Three
    Clear clutter from floor
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom
    Clean shower screen/curtain/bath mats if you have one/if required
    Clean the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I donít want anyone electrocuted!!
    Extra

1. Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
      2. Wipe down 2 doors.. room doors.. both sides
      3. Sort a wardrobe or part of, a drawer or set of drawers making sure it has what needs to be in it and any 'extras' are put where they should be and anything no longer needed is rehomed.
      4. HHI
    Floopy Friday ~ Childrens/Spare Rooms
    Level One
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Declutter the floor!
    Level Two
    Tidy up the clothes
    Drag the junk from under the bed and put it all away
    binbag dance.. Where does all the rubbish in there come from?!
    Level Three
    Wipe the paintwork bed frame and any sticky marks
    Dust and deweb.. don't forget the light fitting
    Vacuum the floors.. and mattresses!
    Extras
    1. 15 minutes filing
    2. Wash windows if needed
    3. Wash any curtains or duvets that are in need
    4. Go around the house and find draughts etc that can be stopped up before the weather turns cold and the icicles get in! .. windows and doors etc..
    Last edited by pigpen; 11-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    05/10/2019 £48942.75 (2.41% int.)
Page 51
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Sep 09, 6:06 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi all
    WB Toots .
    Mrs B, my hobbies are knitting, x-stitch, cardmaking, reading, listening to music, MSE and other web related stuff,......oh yeah and running after two year old DS.
    Flying wise have done a load of washing and made a start on this weeks (own) list, which I now start on a Sunday (lots of dusting, cleaned loo and bathroom, cleaned kitchen, DH hoovered), also knitted some more and made a gammon/fried egg/roast tatties dinner.
    Hugs to all who need them and see you all in next weeks thread.
    x
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th Sep 09, 6:30 PM
    • 21,348 Posts
    • 241,159 Thanks
    Valli
    I have ironed what I washed this morning and that washing included the soak up towels so they can go away now. I don't iron towels (well I iron tea towels but hey...)
    *grins as clearly did good job with hoseleak*
    That washing, BTW did NOT include DS's school uniform. That's still in his schoolbag. From Friday:rolleyes:

In case I don't get back on good luck for the interview Quillion. Have you any other possibles in the pipeline?
    I am assuming (but I could be wrong) that you will go through Gleadless so I'll sent vibes over to White Lane you can pick them up as you zip past...
    Last edited by Valli; 13-09-2009 at 6:32 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Mrs Beatson
    • By Mrs Beatson 13th Sep 09, 6:36 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 10,609 Thanks
    Mrs Beatson
    Hey girls...

excuse any typos.. Ive been kiddie free all afternooon and have to admit to having to partaking in a couple of glasses...

thank you ALL for your input into the hobby conversation! I have to admit I have been feeling a NEED to "have a hobby" lately, but have realised from your comments that you all seem to roughly do the same things as I do (with the exception of those craft-y ones amongst us!!)

To be honest I feel a lot better now!! Im not as dull as I thought I was and those things I DO do are perfectly acceptable!!!

Oh Im a strange creature at times, I know!!

Now somehow I need to get the school uniforms from the WM to the TD... that's gonna be a herculean effort!!

Mshs Beee

xx
    If you have made someone laugh today... check your skirt isn't tucked into your knickers!!!
    Mrs B you're a legend.
    Originally posted by SarahShattered
    • soappie
    • By soappie 13th Sep 09, 6:41 PM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 162,938 Thanks
    soappie
    Boddy - well done for standing up to the yobs!
    Funny you should mention the Reds Trikes - they nipped by here late this afternoon on their way somewhere and gave me a nice low flypast...
    Quillion - middle one for me too
    Toots - I'm glad you're home safe and well

Well, did the natural science thing - was interesting if you like stuffed birds and butterflies etc. pinned to boards. I loved the building though - it's a listed one so it was nice to see inside.

DD seems to be well and truly over her ex. They were supposed to meet up again today and he cancelled saying he was waiting in for the sky man - now, I don't think Sky work on a Sunday! If they do, then I forgive him. But as he didn't answer the phone when she called, she's as suspicious as I and has said she's well shot of him..
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life

• toottifrootti
    hey Mrs B
    I am trying to catch up on the thread but just had to pop on and say you cannot possibly be dull - you are part of this thread/community and we are not dull or sad!!!!
    What about scrapbooking so you can create memories?
    Do you want a hobby that produces an end result or just something to enjoy and fill in time?
    would you be able to go to an afternoon class at the college and maybe learn a new skill or hobby?
    what about swimming - tennis- golf - art - photography - dress making - doing your family tree - bungee jumping - parachuting - sky diving - white water rafting - wine making - wine appreciation - local history - hill walking - dog walking - pet sitting - granny sitting - avon - card making - calligraphy - racing - pottery making - learn a new language - birthday cake making - gardening?????
    toots xx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• SarahShattered
    • By SarahShattered 13th Sep 09, 6:50 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 53,214 Thanks
    SarahShattered
    Valli
    WTG with the hose leak and re: the uniform! I'm impressed. Did you cave on the washing up? Or is it all in spare washing up bowl? :confused:

Mrs B you're a legend. I'm considering attempting 'hair of the substantial dog that bit me'. btw, I don't have any hobbies...
    Last edited by SarahShattered; 20-09-2009 at 6:31 PM.
    MMSSB Club Founder Member
    'Mean Mummies that set and stick to boundaries'

• AnW'sMum
    • By AnW'sMum 13th Sep 09, 6:51 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 95,831 Thanks
    AnW'sMum
    To be honest I feel a lot better now!! Im not as dull as I thought I was and those things I DO do are perfectly acceptable!!!
    Originally posted by Mrs Beatson
    lol well it's that or we are all as dull as each other! But yes the things we all do are perfectly acceptable I just missed off MSe and the net as I thought those were a given

Great to have you home toots, I know this will fall on deaf ears and dodgy eyes but please pace yourself

ETA just seen your latest post toots, talk about back and running at full pelt!!!! Great suggestions BTW think she might home in on the wine ones, noe sure why I think that
    Official Mascot and Chief Cheerleader for the 'Mortgage Free in Three' Gang
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th Sep 09, 6:54 PM
    • 21,348 Posts
    • 241,159 Thanks
    Valli
    Valli
    WTG with the hose leak and re: the uniform! I'm impressed. Did you cave on the washing up? Or is it all in spare washing up bowl? :confused:

Mrs B you're a legend. I'm considering attempting 'hair of the substantial dog that bit me'. btw, I don't have any hobbies...
    No
    he washed it

(then I washed some of it properly he forgot the outside of the pan, that was all!)
    I decided not to include MSE and ebaying as I thought they were a given...got two buyers squabbling over one of my GBA cartridges...I hope they carry on a bit! Well they are DS's so he will get the money less postage and final fees...gosh I'm tough *cracks whip*
    Last edited by Valli; 13-09-2009 at 6:56 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • 3tabbycats
    • By 3tabbycats 13th Sep 09, 6:55 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 10,419 Thanks
    3tabbycats
    Hi all
    Just updating my lists so I can get my stars before the new thread!

Manic Monday ~ Kitchen of Grot and Diming Room of Gloom
    Level One
    Level Two
    Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Clear a sticky dishevelled cupboard
    Level Three
    Clean the oven and hob..

Tickly Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level 1
    Level 2
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level 3
    Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs.. (make sure to do the bed base.. mine was gross last week!)
    Vacuum and turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen
    Level 3

Thursday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One
    Level Two
    Level Three

Floopy Friday ~ Childrens/Spare Rooms
    Level One
    Level Two
    Level Three
  • jinky67
    l

ETA just seen your latest post toots, talk about back and running at full pelt!!!! Great suggestions BTW think she might home in on the wine ones, noe sure why I think that
    Originally posted by AnW'sMum
    I was gonna remark on that as well

I am alive BTW just not done any flying since I last reported.... been at work
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
  • toottifrootti
    I'm considering attempting 'hair of the substantial dog that bit me'. btw, I don't have any hobbies...

Great to have you home toots, I know this will fall on deaf ears and dodgy eyes but please pace yourself
    Originally posted by AnW'sMum

No
    he washed it

(then I washed some of it properly he forgot the outside of the pan, that was all!)
    I decided not to include MSE and ebaying as I thought they were a given...got two buyers squabbling over one of my GBA cartridges...I hope they carry on a bit! Well they are DS's so he will get the money less postage and final fees...gosh I'm tough *cracks whip*
    Originally posted by Valli
    WTG Valli - I love your training methods!!!!

jinky hope you are feeling better hun?

toots xx
    Peace will be mine

• achtunglady
    • By achtunglady 13th Sep 09, 7:09 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    achtunglady
    Hi, was in a great mood until i went to get my mobile phone from my bag, i cannot find it at all, have tried ringing it to see if i can locate it in the house but it goes to answerphone. The last time i had it was yesterday afternoon in the library, i got a text was from someone i didnt recognise, so i left it and carried on doing what i was doing. A small boy was sitting next to me, intently interested in what i was doing on screen ( cutting and pasting jungle animals for sons art project), had my bag on my lap, turned to give son the printouts and went home. Also missing is my usb key which i used in the library, which i distinctly remembered putting in my bag, its bright green so i know i didnt leave it behind, i'm racking my brains trying to remember where they are?
    I dont want to contact the phone company yet in case it turns up at home, ive retraced my steps from when i got in but no joy
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
    • froddington
    • By froddington 13th Sep 09, 7:17 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 94,264 Thanks
    froddington
    Toots - welcome home

Mrs B - hobbies are cross-stitching (and if I can do it, you can!), reading, watching films esp at cinema, helping at Rainbows, music and going to gigs!

Quillion - good luck for the interview

And a hug for everyone!

My flying has been a disaster this week and it shows I hope to be back in as normal next week as long as school doesn't throw anything too major at me :rolleyes:
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • jinky67
    jinky hope you are feeling better hun?

toots xx
    Originally posted by toottifrootti
    I am indeed, I struggled at work yesterday, but today I was fine

nice to have you back
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • hex2
    • By hex2 13th Sep 09, 7:27 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Mrs B - have you considered wine tasting or wine making? The Five Penny Piece 'Home Made Brew' springs to mind. the only sample I can find is here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homemade-Brew/dp/B001K2I71Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1252866170&sr=1-1-spell

I have re-made all the beds, cooked dinner, sloped off to the shop for wine (*coughs Mrs B's fault - DH says thank you*), listened to the boys read, bathed 'em and rolled 'em off to bed. Sorted Dh stuff for the morning, swapped the car seats back to my car and now I need to sort the boys stuff for the morning. It does occur to me that my 'doing nothing' bears no relation at all to my pre children doing nothing.

Achtunglady -may be worth checking with the library in the morning? Are you contract or PAYG? Ring up and put a block on calls till you find it?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • toottifrootti
    Just a few catch ups....more to come......

FFp Hi honey!!! had a great time in Fort William with my cousin and her DH - and he is a DH - he has a wicked sense of humour but he also does some cooking, ironing if she is not home and there is stuff in the basket, loads the DW everynight and clears up, and put the washing on, gardening - loads of yhings - she is very lucky - they are a great team. We didnt have to go by the rest and be thankful -thankfully!!!! I was coming from elgin so we met up in Aviemore and crossed over that way - down past where they filmed Monarch of the Glen.
    Mummyof5 hope DS's thumb is all better.
    Dusty well done getting the family room done - whats next on the plan?
    SS supergirl I know what you mean about feeling cramped after your hols - my cousin's house is at least 4 times the size of mine and it was lovely to walk about and not fall over stuff like here!!!!
    AnW'sMum well done getting the ironing up to date again - you really have done well with that this year - I am pleased for you. Have you got any ebay listings done yet?
    Triker id you find anyone for your floorboards - you need a joiner
    ajmoney you have done very very well this week and managed to get into your garden because you got your lists done - baby steps in the garden and you will get there and the growing season is slowing down so it might give you a chance to get it under control
    wilf honey - until you get your place under control you must be a wee bit selfish and say 'no' - much as i know you are a lovely person and like to help others there are some who will keep coming back and take advatgae of your kind hard working nature. DO NOT feel guilty when you say 'no' - be firm and just say its not possible at the moment. You are doing so well in the house you need to keep going or it will over whelm you again.
    gsysezz WTG you must be feeling so much better getting all that de-cluttering done -you will soon be able to have it looking the way you want it - especially if you do some Ebay - try to do at least a couple of items a day - thats not too much but on a weekly basis that begins to mount up.
    pigpen hope you got the CSA thing sorted - he should be paying about double what he gave you last month shouldnt he?
    LadyL thinking of you everyday angel and hope you are in less pain -hope the appointment tomorrow goes well. xx
    Triker honey It doesnt look to me as if you are taking it that easy:rolleyes: I hope you are beginning to feel a bit better, Love and hugs xx
    pigpen how is the little family doing - are they settling in ok at the flat - hope they havent had any more hassle from the SW.
    Helen Jelly I hope your Mum is coping a bit more each day - if not maybe she should consider a bereavement councellor. She might find it easier to open up to them rather than you. (no offence meant honey)

toots xx
    Peace will be mine

• hex2
    • By hex2 13th Sep 09, 7:42 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    MrsB - DH has just reminded me that we did try wine making. Dh's nettle wine holds a special place in my memory but he manfully drank the lot, only if he had had several glasses of something else to kill the taste first. From memory Zoelikesjam is rather more successful (sp?) with it. We got the demi johns etc from a friend who was going to freecycle them so cheap enough to get started, and they sell most of the stuff in Wilkos.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • achtunglady
    • By achtunglady 13th Sep 09, 7:43 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    achtunglady

Achtunglady -may be worth checking with the library in the morning? Are you contract or PAYG? Ring up and put a block on calls till you find it?
    Originally posted by hex2
    Would they unblock the phone if i found it again or would i have to buy a new one? Its a contract phone
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Sep 09, 7:47 PM
    • 37,118 Posts
    • 477,158 Thanks
    pigpen
    Toots.. I've not even started the CSA thing.. I have loads to get sorted this week.. DD4 is at physio tomorrow.. back to Oh's tuesday IF I can get in touch with my sister and she will collect the children from school.. Wednesday I have a lunch date with my friend.. we are celebrating our childrenbeing back at school.. I need an appointment at the quacks at some point.. which will result in a hospital day trip. I need to sort an appointment with a solicitor which I think will have to be next week now and I need to contact uni about a definite start date I need to get childcare sorted and not knowing any dates or times is making it incredibly difficult!... CSA thing will have to wait another week. He should be giving me around £400 a month.. he gave me £170

xh has not brought the children back yet in spite of him sending a text an hour and a quarter ago saying they were having dessert them heading back.. Gggrrr... I have to have them at school in the morning and he is NOT helping... he is flying to Barcelona on Tuesday I think it is for 2 weeks.. I am trying to tell myself he is keeping them out late because he wants to spend as much time with them as possible .. but having him refuse to see them when I have offered days mak need to loes me think otherwise.

I'l go do next weeks list now.. but will have to log in on the PC downstairs so may be a few minutes!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    05/10/2019 £48942.75 (2.41% int.)
  • zara*elise
    Oh ladies, I've lost this week in a sea of endless errands! Will promise to *try* to catch up next week. I've got myself a home diary so everything I need is making its way in there. App is next week so I need to keep busy until then.

xxxxx
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,418Posts Today

8,760Users online

Martin's Twitter