Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-09-2009 at 5:36 PM.
Page 18
  • helen jelly
    XSpender - Congratulations

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • lauhen
    I was meant to do my weekly top up shop today but I was in the mood for eating rubbish, so I resisted and am going to do it tomorrow instead. Every Friday I seem to want to just pig out, but I don't want to overspend and I am on a diet. Also wanted a curry from our local but again I resisted and instead I made a lovely stirfry for tea.

I did look on mysupermarket.com to see where to do my shop and it works out that asda are the cheapest, I also have some luncheon vouchers so I might try and use them. Do the supermarkets take them.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Sep 09, 7:25 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi folks, just updated my sig, having done my main shop this evening. Managed to spend just £23-53 in Sainsbury's which included a bottle of wine! Noticed that they are selling natural vegetable soap with antibacterial qualities for just 38p a bar - less than half the cost of the Dettol antibac soap I have been buying!

The only 'extra' which crept into my trolley was a punnet of strawberries for a £1, which I have split in two so we will get another pud out of them tomorrow.

We had my cheap and cheerful Friday night pasta and tomato sauce tonight which goes down well with my pasta-averse DH! Here's the recipe:

Pasta with tomato sauce
    1 450g tin of tomatoes
    Half-1 onion
    4 med closed cup mushrooms
    tsp dried mixed herbs
    salt and pepper
    tblsp tomato puree

Chop the onion and sweat in a little olive oil. Add the mushrooms, wiped and thinly sliced. When soft tip in the tinned tomatoes, herbs and seasoning. Bring to boil and simmer gently for upto 25 mins. Add tomato puree to thicken the sauce.

When sauce is nearly done put about 2oz (50-75grms) of pasta per person on to boil. Drain pasta when 'al dente' and put on plates(I usuall use big soup plates). Spoon sauce over the top and then add about a handful of grated cheese. Put in microwave for 30-60 seconds to melt cheese. Enjoy with a big glass of red wine!

This is plenty for two but you can easily double up on quantities, or cook more pasta and make the sauce stretch further. I actually cooked the sauce last night and just reheated it today. It freezes ok too. You can use other veg instead of /as well as mushrooms: chopped courgettes, peppers also work well.
    If you are using basic tomatoes then adding a small tsp of sugar takes off the acidity which cheap toms sometimes have.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Off to catch up with the posts.

Moniker
  • Beth86
    Congrats to Xspender!

Well, we've managed a NSD today. As Little Man is over my Parent's for the weekend we can manage with the milk we have until tomorrow.

But tomorrow we will need to buy onions, milk and toilet rolls.
    Milk - £3.00
    Onions - £1.00
    Toilet Rolls - £1.26

So roughly a £5.26 spend day tomorrow! Hopefully, this will prove to be successful.
    Beth86
    also Beth.194 but I've lost my password.
    September GC - Budget £250 Spent £56.33 £62.69 £64.91 £69.11 (72% left)
    NSD's so far: 2!
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 4th Sep 09, 7:36 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Evening all, 7 days in and spent as per signature on groceries, am very pleased. Have spent my spending money on some treats last weekend, and £20 the other day on more treats and petrol but that comes out of my money.

NSD today as havent gone out, pretty much havent done anything actually! Am desperately trying to avoid the allure of a takeaway as have discovered online takeaway ordering with a debit card, dangerous!

So with that in mind i may go and reheat the last of the mound of mash i did days ago and find something out of the freezer to pop in the oven seeing as its just me and baby tonight who is happily tucked up in bed, hopefully untill at least 7am.

Night all
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 4th Sep 09, 7:37 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    p.s congratulations to Xspender, how exciting!
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 4th Sep 09, 7:42 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Congratulations to all the people who are expecting

Lauhen - (Not meaning to sound patronising, sorry!) Well done you on resisting temptation (twice!) and making yummy food from what you have instead

Spent £1.25 on a can of drink and a chocolate bar at work today. Actually had another free lunch as got there just as the sandwich machine had been restocked and there was a sticky toffee pudding in the fridge. However, I did have to throw away a portion of soup last night - I *always* forget to use fresh milk when I make soup, so it ends up going off after a couple of days Must do better!

Breafast: Woke up late, so did not have any again :rolleyes:
    Lunch: Sandwich (free), sticky toffee pudding (free), can of drink and a chocolate bar
    Dinner: Leftover sausage and bean casserole

Spend so far: £1.90/£100
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Changingme
    I know were a week in already but can you please put me down for £260 ,as been really bad last 2 months and don't my bank account show it thanks.
    Save £4500 in 2014
  • ChocClare
    Friday night is Curry Night, so we splashed out £17.50 on a H-U-G-E takeaway this evening. And yes, that is coming out of the grocery budget. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, though, total spend is a mere 20p - I bought a pepper from The Lady Who Sells Produce From Her Front Garden In The Village while I was out walking the dog. OK, I bought it because it was purple and 20p but it will be nice roasted and I can save the seeds to plant my own purple peppers next year. Woohoo!
  • Botany
    Another NSD as I took some packed lunch out with me today. Nice!
  • Steph112
    Bit late but I've only really just found this thread
    If it's ok, please can I put down £60 for the (3 week) month?
    Have very little money this term for uni so need to be extra extra careful. Got loads of great-looking recipes off this site and am planning to cook from scratch and save anything left-over either by giving it to housemates (unlikely, they are very fussy - however, if I actually improve my cooking skills they might take it:P), popping it in the fridge or freezing it.
    Great website
    May Wins: 2 x Beauty Brilliance Multipurpose Highlighter Sticks in pink and gold, Cellulite buster cream, Garnier eye roll-on stuff and James Brown Hair Mask.

Nov/Dec Freebies: Pantene Conditioner, Stay Matte Foundation.
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 4th Sep 09, 8:28 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Have updated signature with first spend of the month- only £19.90

Went to Mr T for a change as OH spotted a full page ad in his newspaper that they were doing half price leg of lamb. However there was none to be seen in our local one.........off OH went to investigate and was told they had not had a delivery very annoyed as by that time I had put a few things in the basket.

So carried on with the small shop but don't think we will fall for that again (second time it's happened in that store). However got 2 half price ricotta cheeses - put in the freezer -and only spent £14.65 (Over £5 of that was a large steak for OH which he has halved and will do 2 meals)

Went round the corner to Iceland (which I don't usually shop in) and picked up 2 x 4 pints milk @ £1 each and some half price bin bags & clingfilm, spend=£6.25.
    Last edited by ellemm; 04-09-2009 at 9:13 PM.

• Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 4th Sep 09, 8:30 PM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 24,049 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    My first visit to Lidl today. Was nice to see what they are all about but I was very restrained and bought only what I needed (which I have subsequentely deleted from my Tesco home delivery order). Old me would have thought, thats a great buy, must have that (only for it to sit in my freezer for 6 months!!).

Also managed to get my frylight for 99p in sainsburys (£1.49 in tesco).

Bit random but the lovely vouchers that Sainsburys sent me for triple points when I spent over £30 got very wet last week and are to be honest unuseable as you cant read what they say!! so that is going to force me (for the next month) not to spend any more than £30 in anyone go!! because I hate buying stuff when Ive left the vouchers at home etc and know Im missing out on points.

Lovely meal tonight of sweet and sour chicken using up peppers that I bought on 15 august, spring onions with a use by date of 15 aug, orange that has lived in my fridge for over a month (rent please) and an onion that needed using. Also had for breakfast an onion omelette with ham that I bought from the deli counter on tuesday (old me would have binned it).

Bought some bread flour and yeast in lidl today so going to try my hand at making bread tomorrow and also hope to make either the anytime cookies or the brownies featured in the economy gastronomy book

• kezlou
    • By kezlou 4th Sep 09, 8:30 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Congratulations XSpender

Know what you mean about homebaking everything disappears in this house very quickly.
    Well 2nd NSD in a row today, got back some milk that was stolen from the doorstep so didn't have to buy milk today!
    Attempted to make goulash in the slowcooker but it was inedible, so foul, think the neat might have turned. So made omelette instead.

My roof may be getting fixed tomorrow so will be spending the day in think were having veg soup with HM croutons for lunch.Fingers crossed the rain will stop.So looks like 3NDS on the cards for me.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 4th Sep 09, 8:59 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Good evening everyone, hope you are all doing well. We've 'officially' moved now (even if half our stuff is still in the old house) and have been for first shop since we moved. £56 spent, didn't seem to get much for it but hey ho. Anyway will be hopefully keeping an eye on things better now we've moved. Unfortunately no longer got a garage to store things in, only one fridge freezer (small freezer) nowhere to stash toiletries/cleaning stuff...and been told to keep stocks down as I had to throw quite a lot out when we moved due to dates so here goes me behaving myself with shopping.....think I might have a cuppa as I have 5 jars of coffee
    Last edited by lil_me; 04-09-2009 at 9:01 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Julimk
    The biggest spend today was not a GC spend, but nearly £30 on printer cartridges so that DD can print off some photos for her What I Did in the Holidays project for school. The Mr T OB are nearly half the price of the ‘proper’ ones & will last ages, but it is still a lot IMO.

Anyway, on GC, just a small spend on some onions & garlic, which I had completely run out of; instant coffee (though I am happy with the Mr T OB @ 70p for 100g) and milk, as always – a grand total of just £3.13.

I have 65 individual meal portions cooked & frozen plus enough meat & fish to make up another 75 meal portions, even without padding! So I don’t think we are exactly going to starve any time soon & should therefore only need some fresh bits such as milk, fruit & yoghurts for the rest of the month & have plenty in budget for that.

I have most of a roasted chicken in the fridge from earlier in the week & some tortillas in the freezer; having discussed it with DD we are going to have chicken fajitas tomorrow & I am also going to make a chicken & mushroom pie with the rest of the meat. And these are actually additional meals over those above!

Congrats to Xspender.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 4th Sep 09, 9:32 PM
    • 25,155 Posts
    • 29,398 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Just been to Tesco Express for yoghurt to add to chicken tikka and chocolate because it's Friday night, and come back having spent £3.30 on crisps (offer) and fresh cream cakes (reduced)! :rolleyes: Remembered to use my Clubcard, to add 8 points from Mr. Fire Fox's previous visit, and picked up the previous customer's receipt for another 12 points.

Tomorrow is Asda day; I've written the list on MySupermarket and it comes to around £40 but that could easily go up if I find whoopsied meat or get carried away. There is now noticeable space in the freezer which is like red rag to a bull!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Miss-spent
    Picked up a prescription today £7.20
    Avon lady dropped off an order £2.50

Grocery shop £2.96
    Pleases that like others avoided Friday take away even though DH offered to pay.
    Did DH and DS 3 sausages each (Frozen Walls ones) mash and carrots. Served them in giant yorkshire puddings (3 for £1 at Asda) with Gravey.
    Friend over tomorrow night. Going to use whoops half leg of lamb in freezer and suplement with lamb escalope and do a roast. Will need to make some sort of pudding.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 5th Sep 09, 7:07 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    congratulations xspender

I spent £93.28 in tesco yesterday thats for 1 week.(and thats with over 10 pounds off on bogof ) I cant sustain that sort of spending I need to look at my spending in great detail. off to costco today for toilet roll and cat food too
  • mummy2mygirls
    just found out I am preggers so want to ensure i am getting at least my 5 a day and plenty of water.

XS
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Congratulations!! xx

Yesterday i had a NSD so no groceries, but i did get a few freebie from my mum - she always buys the girls loads of treats and then they wont eat them in time at hers so ends up giving me whats left so we now have yougarts, tomatoes, dunkers and some m&ms for me (got them for me as she knows in my last pregnancy they were one of my cravings )

Shouldnt need any food today but i will do my online shopping. I am going to try and order for the same day everyweek and see how i get on with it......
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,719Users online

Martin's Twitter