Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scarlett25
    • By Scarlett25 28th Jul 09, 5:44 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 373Thanks
    Scarlett25
    Economy Gastronomy - new budget cookery programme; BBC
    • 28th Jul 09, 5:44 PM
    Economy Gastronomy - new budget cookery programme; BBC 28th Jul 09 at 5:44 PM
    I caught the trailer for the show the other night and it looks a good prog Different families or groups of people will feature each week and 2 chefs will show them how to spend less, but still eat well on a budget.

The show airs on BBC2 on the 5th August (don't know what time though yet!)
Page 100
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 3rd Sep 09, 6:57 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    I really recommend jointing a chicken to anyone who hasn't. It's very easy and incredibly economical especially if you buy free range. I haven't bought chicken breasts for a couple of years and will joint a chicken once a week. I use the breast meat and bag and freeze the dark meat until I have enough for a casserole.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 3rd Sep 09, 6:57 PM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 20,579 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    did anybody else think as the lad were making the tomato bed rock 'Bloody hell.. how is that going to feed 5 strapping lads three times???'
    Originally posted by sunshinejoclaire
    Yeah, I thought it looked a lot less than what was in the bowl when Paul showed them how to make it.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 3rd Sep 09, 7:31 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    in a us thrift book i read it said buy a few chickens when u see them for a good price and joint them ..them freeze a bag of thighs/drumstix/breasts/wings...in what eversize u need...good advice i thought...im glad someone else noted the small quantity of the tom sauce...it looked good with the meat balls i thought
    onwards and upwards
  • MrsE
    Thank you . I have a Masters in English but suffer from sight problems especially with a black keyboard.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Reverbe
    I hate black keyboards, I have one at home & one at work.
  • MrsE
    Oooh and an added bonus I was thinking of starting up a subscription for "Eat In" magazine and would you believe it, they had the Economy Gastronomy book as a subscription gift. So of course I had to get it, as I always buy the magazine each month anyway so it wasn't as if I was spending the money unnecessarily. Now I don't have to order the book from Amazon..lol
    Originally posted by Natty68
    I was thinking of getting that one.

But I subscribe to Jamie, Good Food & the Best Cook Books already
  • MrsE
    I made the chicken & emergency briyani tonight (I used breasts because I don't really like the whole wobbly fleshy chicken thing, they were like tikkas).

The rice was over cooked & bland, 500gms is a lot of rice & I think more seasoning & spices could be used.

I made lovely home made chapatis & rathia to go with it (& M&S mango chutney), I'm so stuffed now.

How did others find the rice part of it?
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Sep 09, 8:24 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    oh paul is a hunk * drools*!!!!

allergra is nice, growing on me and i am finding her even more lovely as we watch each weekly episode, my god!! just googling her and it brings up something about being expelled from school from having sex in the shower!!! my oh my!! so she isnt such a wee angel after all lol!!
    Originally posted by debtmuncher
    Well, in the acknowledgements at the back of the book she thanks her 'wife'. The plot thickens.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Sep 09, 8:27 PM
    • 67,217 Posts
    • 394,076 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I made them in the oven this week.

I used that new spray oil (Philip Berrier or something like that). I sprayed the oven tray, then put the bhajis on the tray, then sprayed the tops of the bhajis.

Like you, I don't deep fry.
    Originally posted by MrsE
    The reason I'd fry them in a frying pan and not deep fry is partly because I don't deep fry anything (and don't have the pan), but also I try not to use the oven. It's a waste to turn on a whole oven (that takes 30 minutes to heat up) just to cook a small amount. Ovens are for people that live in households of more than one and/or have a freezer.

I have adapted what/how I cook based on if I can keep it 2-3 days in a fridge and nuke it - and if I'm really likely to be able to/want to eat that one item every day for the next 3-4 days.

Oven sounds a good idea though, they could be cooked alongside other things for those people that were already using the oven for something else, so good to cook ahead, then maybe nuke on the night.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Sep 09, 8:28 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Has anyone done the Beef Daube yet? I did that today. I thought as I was putting the liquid in that there seemed a lot. A whole bottle of wine, a litre of beef stock and 2 cans of consomme. I didn't get consomme, but just did extra beef stock. When I had portioned out everything at the end i still had about 3/4 litre liquid left over. Not a problem as it will be red wine gravy next time we have roast beef. Just wondered.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
  • MrsE
    Has anyone done the Beef Daube yet? I did that today. I thought as I was putting the liquid in that there seemed a lot. A whole bottle of wine, a litre of beef stock and 2 cans of consomme. I didn't get consomme, but just did extra beef stock. When I had portioned out everything at the end i still had about 3/4 litre liquid left over. Not a problem as it will be red wine gravy next time we have roast beef. Just wondered.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    I did the same as you, extra stock.

I used (cheap) frying steak, I thought it would be nice & tender.

It went to mush, it wasn't all that.
    If I do it again I will use stewing steak.
  • helyg
    oh paul is a hunk * drools*!!!!

allergra is nice, growing on me and i am finding her even more lovely as we watch each weekly episode, my god!! just googling her and it brings up something about being expelled from school from having sex in the shower!!! my oh my!! so she isnt such a wee angel after all lol!!
    Have a look at this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/oct/22/foodanddrink.features1
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Sep 09, 9:01 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy

I bet Delia Smith didn't do any of that LOL!
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 3rd Sep 09, 9:35 PM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 20,579 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Interesting article....and interesting recipe!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    I bet Delia Smith didn't do any of that LOL!
    I am reliably informed that dear Delia is a lot more racy than her TV image would suggest: probably not Sapphic but you never know.

I thought that tuna, pata, cheese sauce "fish pie"sounded quite economical until the suggestion came to put anchovies on the top. In my house, anchovies go on pizza on high-days and holidays
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 4th Sep 09, 7:18 AM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    I did sseriously wonder on what planet did the chefs think that the students would actually keep up this level of cooking whilst at Uni? I also wonder where the students where finding 50 a week for food.

I thought that one of the lads looked very embarrased when she had him lick the mayo off her finger and she kept touching the arm of another, was surprised to read she is gay, maybe just inappropriatley a touchy person.

I would like it if they said - things like I prefer to make tomato sauce with shallots and fresh tomatoes, but realise that this isn't the most economical or easiest, so if economy is more your bag or you are short on time tinned toms and onions are fine, but may not taste quite as good,for example.
  • debtmuncher
    the tomato recipe is good if you have a glut of tomatoes from your homegrowing efforts. looks good but again seems awfully time consuming having to peel those tomatoes. might give it a bash though!
  • kingshir
    Brownie Recipe (at last)
    Finally!

As I said in a previous post this is a recipe that I got out of the Jackie Magazine and have been making for the last 40+ years It is gorgeous eaten straight away but IF you can wait 24hrs it gets all fudgey in the middle. It will keep for 2-3 weeks if kept in an airtight container, but I have to own up, it never last longer than 3-4 days in my house!

8oz margarine
    16 oz brown sugar

Melt the above together in a big saucepan over a low heat and stir well. Remove from heat and add

8oz Plain Flour
    1 level tsp baking powder
    1 heaped tsp salt*
    8 tbs of cocoa
    4 eggs

Beat together well and pour in a greased (and/or lined) 8 x 12 inch tin.
    Depending on your oven (my old oven baked cooler so I used No 5) bake at no 4 for approx 35-45mins.

Mine is always very slightly crisped around the edges by the time the middle is cooked but if you don't like that you can cover it with tinfoil after 30mins or so.

I leave it to cool slightly and then cut into 1inch x 1 1/2 inch squares (the depth is a good 1 inch as well).

I don't do the topping but for those who like it -

8oz Icing Suguar
    3 tbs cocoa
    1 egg yolk
    2 oz marg
    3 tbs hot water.

Beat together until smooth and spread onto of the cooled brownies.

As with all recipes you can change things to suit yourself - ie white sugar instead of brown, butter instead of marg, a mix of cocoa and drinking chocolate but I personally wouldn't recommend replacing all the cocoa with drinking chocolate, the result is nowhere near as chocolatey!

The original recipe was for half the amount of the above ingredients but for us gannets that didn't make anywhere near enough

* I know that seems a lot of salt but it just doesn't taste as good with less IMHO

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do x
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 4th Sep 09, 9:56 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 20,579 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    the tomato recipe is good if you have a glut of tomatoes from your homegrowing efforts. looks good but again seems awfully time consuming having to peel those tomatoes. might give it a bash though!
    It doesn't take too long to peel tomatoes. Once you've dunked them in boiling water, the skins pretty much just slide off.
  • Reverbe
    I hate black keyboards, I have one at home & one at work.
    Originally posted by MrsE
    I sympathise. They look cool but we don't get a lot of light in here. Have to have the lights turned on in the day and the corner where the pc is is pretty dark...
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Well, in the acknowledgements at the back of the book she thanks her 'wife'. The plot thickens.
    Allegra is happily married to a lady called Susi. I believe and for their wedding cake they had a tier of cheeses!! In the book she says she made Susi macaroni cheese using the last of the cheese on their first wedding anniversary.How cool is that?
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter