Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-09-2009 at 5:36 PM.
Page 11
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 1st Sep 09, 10:16 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    first spend of the September budget today of £11.86. Spent ages walking round the supermarket but did just buy essentials including the tomato sauce that was on offer (and needed) and cat biscuits (one happy cat now ). Couple of items did fall in basket that weren't on mental shopping list (ryvita thins /eggs / wholemeal baps / green tea (still of offer))

Despite the birds eye steam fresh veg being on offer £1.86 per pack or 2 packs for £2.00, I left them in the freezer as i have plenty of veg already in my garage freezer so £2 saved there. the taramind paste also stayed on the shelf, at the small sum of almost £2, it can stay on the shelf until I need it. Ive mislaid the recipe I saw it in now anyway!!

a quiet day tomorrow so once housework done, hope to sit down and menu plan revisiting the list I made last month of my freezer stocks and draw up a plan as best I can for the next month.

• cw18
    • By cw18 1st Sep 09, 10:17 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    BTW, does anyone else struggle with working out whether Tesco market value fruit and veg is actually lower in price than the standard? They seem to make it difficult by not giving the weight of their bananas etc so it is impossible to compare like for like. They had 7 bananas in their market value pack for £1, but I bought 6 loose of a similar size for 74p.
    Originally posted by oceanspirit
    I have been known to hand-weigh a few of the MV packs and select what seems to the heaviest. This I then bung onto the suspended scales in that area of the shop, and then work out how it compares to buying loose. Seems to vary from visit to visit as to which is the cheaper way :confused:
    Cheryl
  • Money saving Diva
    Hi all

Well after a long day in the garden my OH voted for not cooking and ordering a pizza. So we used the two for one delivered free option but it was still nearly £20 by the time he had his sides etc. Still I guess I could take that out of my spending money rather than the grocery challenge budget!

On the plus side I now have a kitchen full of red onions, green beans, garlic, shallots, carrots, beetroot and tomatoes all harvested today from mine and my in-laws garden.

Am halfway through a Tescos order and also sorting through my recipe files.

Here’s a couple of ideas for surplus runner beans and chilli jam as I have loads from the garden at the moment.

Bean pickle
    2lb Beans (top and tail, de-string and slice into chunks)
    1 & 1/2 lbs onions (chopped up)
    2 tablespoons of cornflour
    1 & 1/2 pints of malt vinegar
    2 tsp oil
    1 & 1/2 tablespoons of turmeric
    8oz soft brown sugar
    1lb Demerara Sugar
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 teaspoon dry mustard
    pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
    • Place the chopped onions into a large saucepan (or preserving pan) with half a pint of the vinegar. Bring them up to just under boiling point and let them simmer gently for about 15 to 20 minutes until the onions are soft.
    • Meanwhile cook the beans in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then strain them and add to the onions.
    • Now in a small bowl mix the cornflour, mustard, chilli flakes and turmeric with a little of the remaining vinegar to make a smooth paste and then add this paste to the onion mixture.
    • Pour in the rest of the vinegar and simmer everything for 10 minutes.
    • Add the sugar and stir in until it is all dissolved. Then simmer for another 15-20 mins until a spoon pulled across the pan leaves a clean trail.
    • Spoon the pickle into warmed, sterilised jars, and seal and label when cold. Keep for 6 weeks before eating.
    Chilli Jam

12 large fresh chillis finely chopped
    2 large red onions, finely chopped
    3 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    2 inches fresh ginger, grated (or finely chopped but I find grating easier)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Slit the chillis lengthways, and decide whether you want it extra hot by leaving the seeds in or not! Put them in a saucepan with the onions, garlic, ginger, oil and sugar. Bring the heat up gently until the oil starts sizzling, and then cook on a medium-low heat for about ten to twelve minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar starts to caramelize.
    • Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze. Continue to cook until the liquid evaporates and then mix in the oyster sauce, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Season, then pack into clean, sterilised screw top jars.
    • Allow to cool and then keep in the fridge. Or you can freeze it in a suitable container. It keeps for about 10 days in the fridge. Something went wrong with it once and it was way too runny so I just used it as a chilli sauce and dip..
    Hope you enjoy them. Off to bed now, have to be up again at 0400.

Diva.x
    Last edited by Money saving Diva; 01-09-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • Bowski_1011
    • By Bowski_1011 1st Sep 09, 10:32 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Bowski_1011
    I've spent £3.11 today on milk and something for tea although I ended up not eating it and having something else. But it has gone in the freezer though so it's not a waste
    Getting back on it Oct 2012
    Debt Oct '12 £1398.70
    NSD Oct 1/10
    GC Oct £102.11/150.00
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 1st Sep 09, 11:31 PM
    • 25,152 Posts
    • 29,392 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    BTW, does anyone else struggle with working out whether Tesco market value fruit and veg is actually lower in price than the standard? They seem to make it difficult by not giving the weight of their bananas etc so it is impossible to compare like for like. They had 7 bananas in their market value pack for £1, but I bought 6 loose of a similar size for 74p.
    If you check MySupermarket some of the Value stuff is more expensive that the loose fruit and veg!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • lauhen
    i have just done the banking, and if i stick to my challenge of wanting to only spend £250 on groceries, (i did put £300 for the challenge, but i only want to spend £250) i should have about £100 left at the end of the month. I really want to stick to this challenge so bad, but i am going to find it hard, as milk and bread come to alot before i even buy fruit and veg, but i figure i have more of a chance if i do it without husband and children there, as they tend to say i want, i want, even husband does, he doesnt realise there is a budget, and he doesnt like me mentioning it, as he feels that we should have enough money to buy what we want. He is right though, we should have plenty of money left, but we dont as we have debt, i need him to acknowledge all of this in one sitting, he knows we have debt and he knows we need to budget, but putting it altogether is impossible in his mind.
  • highland fling
    Good Morning everyone,

well last nights meal was a disaster. After arriving home later and not starting making it until about seven p.m things went from bad to worse. Serves me right for being smug.

Had planned to have breaded sole which I could cook from frozen and home made chips. Put fish in oven and peeled and cooked chips only to discover that fish tasted baaaad! Don't know how this happened but it was awful and could not be eaten, so dinner last night was home made chips, bread and butter and a hastily heated tin of spaghetti.

Well hopefully tonights meal will not be such a disaster.

Off now to make up my packed lunch and set off to work.

Haven't spent any of my september budget.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 2nd Sep 09, 7:54 AM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    Hello
    I've not tried the Grocery Challenge before so I thought this month I'd give it a go to see if it will help keep me on track.

Can I be put down for £40 per week for me, H and two kids (working to roughly £160 per month). Ideally I want it to be less than this

Gonna be tough but I've done my new meal plans so no reason not to stick to a sensible budget. I really can't afford to spend more than this per week so wish me luck
    Last edited by Bitsy Beans; 02-09-2009 at 8:50 AM.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 2nd Sep 09, 7:58 AM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    If you check MySupermarket some of the Value stuff is more expensive that the loose fruit and veg!
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    In Sainsbury's they have the electronic scales so for example the basic bananas I've weighed to see what the price would be if they were bought loose - they were cheaper
    I also check the price per unit on Mysupermarket or on the tag displayed in store. Not always easy with kids in tow but gone are the days of mindless shopping. I scrutinise a lots of things these days to work out if I am paying over the odds
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 2nd Sep 09, 8:42 AM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric

Im reading a book on getting out of debt at the moment (very interesting) and this says the kind people at the supermarket deliberately move stuff around because us savvy customers remember/know where everything is. Thus by moving stuff around, we go to aisle 10 for the beans and they are gone! thus have to walk past x amount of offers (most of which find ourselves into our basket) to find them in aisle 16. I know this is slightly off topic and I am sure Martin has mentioned this in his feature on supermarkets but the point Im trying to make is in my opinion the supermarkets deliberately trick us.

No matter what I want to buy, I find myself stood there scratching my head. It has already been mentioned that the biggest pack of something isnt always the cheapest.... but those little labels telling you how much something is, sometimes, price per 100g is featured or per kg or per unit??? and what happens if the item is on offer? is the price correct as what happens if you dont buy the offer and just buy one of? why cant everything be displayed either per 100g or per kg not several of the same product displayed diffently (i.e one displayed per kg, one per 100g etc) And then you go to the checkout and the checkout person scans the stuff so fast you havent enough arms to pack it fast enough so you cant see that those offers you were expecting have been applied and only discover you bought the wrong item to qualify or the offer was on, just not programmed into the tills when you are back home.

• cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Sep 09, 8:50 AM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    but those little labels telling you how much something is, sometimes, price per 100g is featured or per kg or per unit??? and what happens if the item is on offer? is the price correct as what happens if you dont buy the offer and just buy one of?
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    In my experience, the price per 100g/per kg on the shelf edge ticket is still set based on you buying a single item - it has to correspond to the item price on the same ticket. I just with that they'd add the same info to the large 'offer' ticket (though I accept it's not possible where the multi-buy actually covers differently priced/sized items - or one of those 'meal deal' offers)
    Cheryl
  • Mrs. Irwin
    Lost all track last month, lots of stress.

I'll have a go again, £200 please. £1.75 spent yesterday on cans of pop and a tin of custard. :rolleyes:

I don't have a very big freezer and it mostly contains various chicken stocks, but I'm aiming to get it emptied this month as it desperately needs defrosting.
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Sep 09, 9:13 AM
    • 16,922 Posts
    • 144,912 Thanks
    JackieO
    <<[QUOTE=CRANKY40;24734197]Scotch Pancakes

100g self raising flour
    50g caster sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 med egg
    60ml (4tbsp) milk

put flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, add the egg and then add enough milk to mix to a thick batter.

Now, the recipe said cook them on a well oiled hot griddle. but I cooked them in the frying pan, just like you would for regular pancakes, oiled but not too greasy IYKWIM.

You cook three at a time (I used a dessert spoon to put the mixture in the pan). Fry them until bubbles appear in the top, then flip them over and cook the other side. It takes about 3 minutes altogether. I made 12 medium sized pancakes from this batter.

The recipe said you could add a spoonful of lemon juice or vanilla essence, but I am also making for a 4 year old, so didn't bother. >>

This looks really good I have copy and pasted yet another receipe into my 'Misers Cook Book' Do you think these would freeze well as I live alone and 12 pancakes would be a bit too much in one go
    Cheers for that
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 2nd Sep 09, 9:18 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 10,016 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Thanks everyone for your replies on Market Value. I'm glad I'm not the only one who stands in the shop wanting to squeal with exasperation trying to work out prices. When doing online shopping a few months ago I noticed that buying shelled nuts in the packets from the fruit and veg aisle were more expensive than buying the same product from the wholefoods section. Not sure how they worked that one out! Maybe we ought to ask Martin to start a campaign on making supermarket pricing more transparent.
    Decluttering 851/2019
    Deleting old emails 376/2019
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 2nd Sep 09, 9:41 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    This looks really good I have copy and pasted yet another receipe into my 'Misers Cook Book' Do you think these would freeze well as I live alone and 12 pancakes would be a bit too much in one go
    Cheers for that
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I can't see why they wouldn't freeze. I will be freezing some of the next batch as I want them for ds's school lunchbox. Yesterday was a trial, so I offered them to my friend and her family and there's one left.....
    • yellowmonkey
    • By yellowmonkey 2nd Sep 09, 9:43 AM
    • 6,931 Posts
    • 29,359 Thanks
    yellowmonkey
    Morning

£12.68 for me today just tipping me over what I should be on at this stage (£60). Should make up the £2.33 in the coming days though . On the plus side I am at work today and have something that I froze last week ( Chicken Fajhita ) with rice and wraps. Must get more organised really regarding the freezer :rolleyes:

Have a good one

ym

• booskyeboo
    Morning everyone,
    I hope you are well, I have been to Mr M's this morning and spent another £5.59 on milk and ham, I need to cut back otherwise i am going to be well over my budget
    WW start date 31/8/2011

weight lost so far:- 32lbs
    • shellsmithcat
    • By shellsmithcat 2nd Sep 09, 11:19 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    shellsmithcat
    Well first spend of the month yesterday - have been off work sick and needed a top up in the cupboards before shopping on Friday - so sent DD to Mr S where she picked up for me, a bag of carrots £1,(sure she could of got them cheaper loose), 2.5kg bag basics potatoes £1.29p, and 2 bottles of Lenor - £3 (again I could have got cheaper but at least she went for an offer and will last for ages)- so spends so far this month - £5.29-only £394.71 to go.
  • jinky67
    well I had to go to MrT's for cereal:rolleyes:

spent £45.42

But I did buy myself a cheapo calculator to add up spending as I go round in future
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • jayward
    • By jayward 2nd Sep 09, 11:38 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    jayward
    hi been to Mr m's did well got out spending £1.46,plums,cannelini beans,6 crusty rolls,
    i looked in sainsburrys the other day there basics apples are £1.11 in a bag i think but if you buy loose only 57p kg
    Last edited by jayward; 02-09-2009 at 3:14 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter