Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-09-2009 at 5:36 PM.
Page 10
  • rosieben
    CRANKY40 - bartering! and scotch pancakes added to the front page recipe list, thanks

Welcome to all the newbies and good luck for your first challenge!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • helen jelly
    Cranky40 - well done on the exchanging - next door neighbour and I do it alot on fruit and veg that we have left over or don't want - comes in handy

Welcome to all newbies

Off to update siggy as we have spent AGAIN

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • GemmaBuckle
    Hi - I'm new to the boards. Can I join in please? I would like to make a bid of £150 for September. That has to feed me, my boyfriend (who eats a LOT), and our labrador.
    Gemma
    Last edited by GemmaBuckle; 01-09-2009 at 6:33 PM. Reason: highlight amount
  • rosieben
    Hi GemmaBuckle, welcome to the Grocery Challenge, welcome to MSE and especially welcome to Old Style!! MrsMCawber will be along to add newbie names to the front page list

Good luck all!

• slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 1st Sep 09, 7:22 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Evening all, reading up to stay on track. Pretty much NSD today with regards to GC pennies, gave dh couple o quid out of my purse for some milk and that was it.

Did end up having to use the debit card for the account my GC money is in as i had friends round at weekend and didnt have enough money on me that id withdrawn from 'my' money when id bought a few treats at Netto so owe myself some money next time go shopping! Will withdraw it from 'my' money next time have to do a shop or when i am in town i'll withdraw it and replace it in other account.

So pretty pleased so far, started off better than usual!

Good day all!
  • vodkabarbie
    Hi there, I'd like to join in this! We have a budget of £400, I know this is a lot but it's the first month we've really tried to stick to a budget - and shockingly it's less than we spent last month.....will try to get it down!
    Grocery Challenge: target 400: so far spent 247
    Credit Card 3231 3218
    Overdraft 1215 1122.27
  • kirstenc
    I havent spent anything yet (my month started on sunday) so I am doing OK, shouldnt need anything til I visit Mr T on Saturday. have started a spreadsheet of my food in the cupboards etc, plus a timetable of what meals Im cooking and when so I have a couple of nights where no time from me other than reheating is necessary!

I now also have 2 recipe books in the kitchen, one with food suitable for DS allergies and one not, OH and DS are going to sit down every friday and propose 4 meals, 2 from each...that will ensure that they (mainly OH if im honest) dont moan constantly about the food they are being given!

Thats the plan anyway!!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - £2516.87 £0 credit card - £1210 £0
    TOTAL - £12276.87 £9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 1st Sep 09, 7:34 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i love the idea of whistling dixie when the money has run out...ill have to try that on the family...see if it workd

i have just got back from asda and at about 5:45 the fruit and veg was really reduced...20p a bag i got some nice looking organic fruit (grapes bananas )also a melon pears pots....they also had white casserole dished for £1...they are medium sixe...not huge with a lid...i got 2 as i thought they looked useful

night night
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Rachel021967
    I have failed miserably at this challenge in the past but lately I've been following the "Economy Gastronomy" approach and been a lot better. I would like to start off with a budget of £550 please.
  • ktpie
    I've just had my Tesco shop delivered and that brings my total so far to £184.02 out of £280. Leaves us with £100 for the rest of the month. Hopefully we are now pretty well stocked up, although I always think that and still end up spending loads more!
    • LydiaJ
    • By LydiaJ 1st Sep 09, 8:25 PM
    • 8,035 Posts
    • 73,192 Thanks
    LydiaJ
    First day of the challenge.
    I have spent £1 on eggs, and some non-grocery spending, and filled both in on my spending diary spreadsheet.
    So far so good. 29 days to go!
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 1st Sep 09, 8:33 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Well kind of been productive as i didn't have to buy DS1 & 2 any new trousers or shirts for school as they hadn't grown out of the ones from May So may buy some more shirts next week, but we'll see.
    While OH took the boys swimming, i went to buy more beef and mushrooms ended up spending £9.56 on more shopping I swear i can't stop.
    But did buy reduced yoghurt's, margarine, butter, coconut milk, bread buns and 8 fresh burgers for a £1 total bargain. So don't feel too bad, but still shouldn't have spent it.

Made loads of black eye beans today, looked at the packet, was from last year so thought needed to be used (well two months ago )

Here's some more recipes, all of these can be adapted to personal tastes.Bet your all sick of me posting them.

Coconut Rice
    1 tin of coconut milk
    1 pint of cold water
    4 large handfuls of basmati rice
    1 tin of beans (i used just cooked black eye beans)
    2 spring onions chopped inc green stems
    6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped ( can use less)
    4 chillies chopped (can use less)
    Salt
    Black pepper
    11/2tbsp cinnamon
    11/2tbsp nutmeg
    6 Cloves

Add all to a pan and bring to the boil, simmer till rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

Refried Beans
    mushed up beans (any variety i used cooked black eye beans)
    bacon (does not need to be used)
    6 cloves of garlic
    2 large tbsp coriander
    1large tbsp garam masla
    1large tbsp chilli powder
    water
    2 tbsp of tomato puree

Fry garlic and bacon in hot oil till brown
    Add spices to the pan and stir for about 10 seconds
    Add beans to the spices and stir, add the tomato puree and enough water to mix up the beans till it becomes a paste.
    Once heated serve hot or cold.

Bean curry (slowcooker version)
    1 onion chopped
    1tsp mustard seeds (optional)
    4 cloves garlic crushed
    curry paste (supermarket one i found it in the cupboard from last year)
    1 tin of tomatoes
    beans about 300g or a tin of them (i used black eye beans)
    2 carrots chopped
    any old veg you have

Fry onion and mustard seeds till browned
    Add garlic and fry for about 30 seconds add curry paste add the beans, mix up well
    Add the tomatoes and place all into the slow cooker
    add carrots, veg and place in the slow cooker with about 2 pints of water.
    Leave on low for about 8/10 hours.
    Then serve.
  • lainz
    Hi

Can I declare £100 for August - bit over - but I had friends down and fed my family that I hadn't budgeted for, so I'll take that!

Can you put me down for £93 for September. I've been to Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl this afternoon! Think I'm about £40 in - need to calculate properly - have some posh loo roll that was offer, and brandy to start my mincemeat off ... mmm.. have to go and get some cooking apples off my mum!

Well I should only really need fruit and veg the rest of the month!
  • rosieben
    Here's some more recipes, all of these can be adapted to personal tastes.Bet your all sick of me posting them. ...
    Originally posted by kezlou
    Recipes always welcome kezlou! I like the sound of the bean curry, thanks

• ChocClare
    Well, today I spent £1.65 on plastic tubs to decant the HUGE amount of cakes I made yesterday into so I could put 75% of them in the freezer before the kids/DH scoff the entire lot - and I got home and found I had far more suitable ziplock bags which I could have used instead (and did end up using) and saved my £1.65.

On the plus side, I had to cancel my hairdressing appointment last Saturday as we had friends down, and my mother (retired hairdresser) offered to cut it for me as it "needed doing" (her shorthand for you look awful). So I've saved £30+ in hairdressing bills - I usually take my mum eggs and runner beans when I see her as an "offering" but I went straight from work today, and when I apologised and said, I must give you something, she was adamant, "You will not!". AND she did a far superior job to my usual hairdresser - even the DH said, wow, your hair looks nice.

My son then came home and said, oh, mum, I've bought all my stuff for college, it comes to £53 (implication: cough up, you're paying for this). Having inspected what he bought (mostly text books, to be fair), I will be paying - just not coming out of my grocery money (well, it's not groceries, is it?!).

My shopping is delivered on Sundays so I'm OK for this week (and it was 30 August on Sunday, honestly!) but I will keep going for a week past the 27th Sept to make it fair.

Looking forward to seeing how we all get on. Don't worry, I won't normally post great screeds like this!

Good luck, everyone!
    • Angelfeathers
    • By Angelfeathers 1st Sep 09, 9:19 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    Angelfeathers
    I now also have 2 recipe books in the kitchen, one with food suitable for DS allergies and one not, OH and DS are going to sit down every friday and propose 4 meals, 2 from each...that will ensure that they (mainly OH if im honest) dont moan constantly about the food they are being given!

Thats the plan anyway!!
    Originally posted by kirstenc
    I love the idea of that, Kirstenc! My OH is always complaining if I try anything remotely different because he likes 'simple' meals, and I try to make sure I give him something he really likes a couple of times a week, but maybe I should actually make a list and ask him to *choose* !
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 1st Sep 09, 9:30 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 9,379 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Had picnic with a friend yesterday and made Weezl's lentil pate for the first time - we both loved it! Also made tapenade with out of date jar of black olives, hummous (sp?) with out of date half jar of tahini, the lemon juice was from whoopsied organic lemons bought previously, made veg sticks from last bits of veg in the fridge plus an avocado. I was very proud of my last-minute storecupboard picnic - and I've had leftovers for lunch today with more for tomorrow's lunch.

I spoiled the OS catering by buying some biscuits and crisps from the village shop as a treat and spent £3.98! The only thing we ate between us was 1 small bag of crisps as we were so full of yummy HM healthy stuff!

Did my weekly shop early as my mother is coming to visit for a few days from Thursday. Total was £18.12 and used £4.50 rewards voucher plus had £1.50 refund from the overpriced whoopsied melon I bought a few weeks ago so actual spend was only £12.12. I can't believe how much I've managed to buy with such a small amount of money.

BTW, does anyone else struggle with working out whether Tesco market value fruit and veg is actually lower in price than the standard? They seem to make it difficult by not giving the weight of their bananas etc so it is impossible to compare like for like. They had 7 bananas in their market value pack for £1, but I bought 6 loose of a similar size for 74p.

Kezlou - thanks for the slow cooker bean recipe. Very timely as I've borrowed a friend's small slow cooker to try (lent her my brand new one which I was given as a present and never used because it is far too big for one) and I've struggled to find good veggie recipes.
    Decluttering 344/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
  • Trinny
    Hello All

Finally beginning to get the hang of this grocery budgetting - time to drop another tenner.

Please add me to the list and put me down for £180 please.

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 1st Sep 09, 9:54 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    First day of the challenge is a NSD on food.

Breakfast: Cereal, with milk
    Lunch: Broccolli and stilton soup, crisps, banana
    Dinner: Bacon bubble and squeak, with spaghetti

I got free cakes at work today, so that kept me in good eating for a while I now have half a tin of spaghetti in the fridge which I'm not sure what to do with though...
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • jackiegibbo
    tesco man is coming tomorrow with my delivery.Is it right that if you order something but give it back you still get the clubcard points as they dont take them off???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,293Posts Today

8,473Users online

Martin's Twitter