Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    September 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-09-2009 at 5:36 PM.
Page 9
  • Mrs_Tradition
    Hi All - i have been sooo looking forward to this thread. I watched the August one with increasing interest. I decided to join the Sept one as this is something I need to do. My month runs from 25th or closest work day to it if on a w/e. So pay day's just been but I was on hols so couldn't post and my first ever grocery challenge month goal is £200. That's for my, dh and dd (2). It includes cleaning products and so on but I have enough of those to last me a life time!
    i am going to tot up what I have spent already and will post shortly.

Good luck all!
    x
  • Keiss 21
    Also going to try Flapjacks - made some last week but they were a disaster [no idea why] I had to soak the tin overnight to get it off! Not impressed as it was a complete waste of ingredients and would of been cheaper to buy some!!! Grrrrrr Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    Hya Helen, I always oil the tin well as well as having a liner in the bottom of the tin before putting in my flapjack mixture. Always press the mixture down into the tin, makes it stick together better (and to the tin unfortunately!). I still have a bit sticking round the edges where the liner doesn't reach, but a few minutes soaking with good old Stardrops (after getting the flapjacks out) does the trick! If you don't have a liner, greaseproof paper/baking parchment will do. I can wash and re-use the liner (left over when I cut a Lakeland liner to fit my grill pan) time and time again, though it is getting a bit frayed at the edges these days. I vaguely remember finding some silicon liner that I got in Lidl last year, must go and cut a new one before making flapjacks this afternoon!

Hope your next batch of flapjacks turn out ok Helen

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 1st Sep 09, 11:52 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...hope everyone is going strong...iv spent a bit...there was lots of reduced chicken in the coop this morning so i got some and put it in the freezer...the local co is tiny but great for reduced stuff...i have a theory that the people who live in the village are quite well off so dont look in the reduced bin as it is always over flowing when i go in...perhaps iv just been lucky...also went to lidl and aldi yesterday and got loads of fruit and veg

i am liking lidl at the moment our local one is a bit of a drive but in feb one is opening quite close so i think ill go in more

someone mentioned greengages....i use them like plums in crumbles etc

take care
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • helen jelly

Hya Helen, I always oil the tin well as well as having a liner in the bottom of the tin before putting in my flapjack mixture. Always press the mixture down into the tin, makes it stick together better (and to the tin unfortunately!). I still have a bit sticking round the edges where the liner doesn't reach, but a few minutes soaking with good old Stardrops (after getting the flapjacks out) does the trick! If you don't have a liner, greaseproof paper/baking parchment will do. I can wash and re-use the liner (left over when I cut a Lakeland liner to fit my grill pan) time and time again, though it is getting a bit frayed at the edges these days. I vaguely remember finding some silicon liner that I got in Lidl last year, must go and cut a new one before making flapjacks this afternoon!

Hope your next batch of flapjacks turn out ok Helen
    Originally posted by Keiss 21
    Hi Thanks for the info - will definately line aswell as grease tin as just greasing wasn't enough. I have a fan oven which is brilliant most of the time but I'm finding that now that I've started cooking cakes etc that its too powerful even when I adjust the temperature. I get everything well done on the outside [sometimes burnt] and not cooked in the middle - will have to carry on adjusting temp or find out if I can turn fan off. Gonna try flapjacks again later as I bought Porridge Oats especially for this as my DD is mad on them - thanks

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Sep 09, 12:02 PM
    • 16,732 Posts
    • 143,363 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good afternoon chums ,
    have just had my annual holiday with the family and now need to do some serious money-saving for a little while as the festive season will soon loom over us all.
    I have just sorted out my finances, and have decided I am going for £30.00 per week or less if possible. My cupboards are fairly well stocked, and my freezer is stuffed to the gunnels, so I am hoping to more than achieve my aim . Cash will be the key this month as I have decided that if I only use the cash I have per week in my purse then when its gone I will just have to whistle Dixie till the next 'payday ' as I did years ago when first married So four weeks x £30 = £120.00 for the month.I am a pensioner and get my pension in a four week cycle. So fingers crossed, and off I go.
    Last edited by JackieO; 01-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    • greent
    • By greent 1st Sep 09, 12:39 PM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,311 Thanks
    greent
    Just a quick posting - have declared on August thread and would like a budget of £450 this month please.

greent
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • catznine
    • By catznine 1st Sep 09, 12:49 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Hello!

I am going to try for £100 this month! I have plenty in the freezers and lots of stuff from approved foods which needs using also plenty from goodness direct (lentils, soup mix, rice, pasta etc) so just need eggs, milk, cheese and the organic boxes. Still getting some harvest from the garden as well so should manage if I am disciplined!

Good luck everyone!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • ChocClare
    I have never done this before but am going to give it a go for this month.

No idea of what I should be aiming for as this is the first time, but let's say we'll aim for £350 all in to include our weekly *sacred* takeaway. I'm sure all you good MS-ers will laugh at me for what probably seems a HUGE amount, but I'd rather be over than under (if you see what I mean).
    • jayward
    • By jayward 1st Sep 09, 1:20 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    jayward
    Hi all. Please put me down for £100 for September but less the better
    i not done this before but i need encouragement to stop spending i have enough food for well lets say I'm embarrassed but all in the spirit of saving money
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Sep 09, 1:40 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 36,140 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I made my own scotch pancakes this morning. Surprisingly easy, and 4 year old ds approves, so we won't be buying them from the shop ever again.
  • cardiffmatch
    Afternoon all!

I was very nearly successful last month until a less-than-thrifty bank holiday weekend. I've now received my first pay packet and have a better idea of what I can spend.

£160 for me this month please.

Now. I'm off to Lidl.

xx
    Debt free as of 01/06/13
    MFW: Mortgage when started: £205,000 Mortgage 21/11/13 £202,608 Offset target 2014: £5088/£12000 Planned payoff date: August 2026 LTV: 86.3% Daily interest: £21.55
  • Beth86
    Hi all,
    I've been here before, but would like to join in again.

I'm going to put £250.00 for the month.
    This will include all food (inc. DS's school lunch), any takeaways, cleaning products etc.

And already I have spent £57.87. But that is food for the week (plus extra's for DS's Lunch Box.)

Hopefully next weeks will be less.
    Beth86
    also Beth.194 but I've lost my password.
    September GC - Budget £250 Spent £56.33 £62.69 £64.91 £69.11 (72% left)
    NSD's so far: 2!
  • dreamer40
    May I join in again please?

£200.00 for September.Have plenty in the freezer and cupboards so I hope it will be less.

Thanks.
    "Always bear in mind, that very little indeed is necessary for living a happy life" Marcus Aurelius.

• scotsaver
    Wow, page 9 already - thanks to Pink-winged, rosieben and MRSMC for getting us up and running again. A big welcome to all the Newbies too.

I've updated my total with my spends so far, cupboards and both Freezers looking good, menu planned for pretty much most of the month so feeling good about things.

Dinner tonight is HM Pizza, garlic bread and a big bowl of salad as tomatoes are ripening at a fast rate now in the Greenhouse. Pudding is a HM Lemon Meringue pie, haven't made one for ages so really looking forward to that.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Angelfeathers
    • By Angelfeathers 1st Sep 09, 3:14 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Angelfeathers
    Hi, I'm going to give this a go this month, as we've been trying to spend less the last couple of months (after I'd finally taken my head out of the sand and realised it was time to stop overspending!) but are still spending more than I'd like on groceries. I've budgeted £450 for 3 of us for the last two months, but still spent £535 and £511, and money is swiftly running out on us.

So I'm going for £450 again, but this time in public, which will hopefully give me the incentive to make it this time! We've decided to drop our weekly organic veg box, which should help a LOT!

The figure includes non-food items such as medicines (I get through a lot of paracetamol and hayfever tablets and even with the cheapest versions it still adds up), toiletries, loo roll, kitchen roll etc.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 1st Sep 09, 3:45 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,538 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Have started my spend this month with €13.90 on meat and mixed beans, which will be used for salad and in soup.

Good luck to everyone

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Botany
    Ok I did 2 shops today:

Aldi £ 29.94
    Waitrose £11. 47

so I have £258.59 left from my £300 budget.

The good thing is that aldi had some of its frozen fish reduced so I have one whole sea bass, four sea breams and 2 cod fillets in my freezer. They will produce many delicious meals. The Aldi Super6 were also a good deal.

In Waitrose, amongts other things, I bought a Pitrock deodorant (came recommended in one OS thread) which is £5.99 but if the OSers recommendations are to be believed will last me months and months (prolly years?), so anyway I see this as a long-term investment
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 1st Sep 09, 4:13 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    I made my own scotch pancakes this morning. Surprisingly easy, and 4 year old ds approves, so we won't be buying them from the shop ever again.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Please share the recipe, my DS also 4 loves these, he normally only gets them if they are whoopsied.

Day 1 no spends
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Sep 09, 5:10 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 36,140 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Please share the recipe, my DS also 4 loves these, he normally only gets them if they are whoopsied.

Day 1 no spends
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    Scotch Pancakes

100g self raising flour
    50g caster sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 med egg
    60ml (4tbsp) milk

put flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, add the egg and then add enough milk to mix to a thick batter.

Now, the recipe said cook them on a well oiled hot griddle. but I cooked them in the frying pan, just like you would for regular pancakes, oiled but not too greasy IYKWIM.

You cook three at a time (I used a dessert spoon to put the mixture in the pan). Fry them until bubbles appear in the top, then flip them over and cook the other side. It takes about 3 minutes altogether. I made 12 medium sized pancakes from this batter.

The recipe said you could add a spoonful of lemon juice or vanilla essence, but I am also making for a 4 year old, so didn't bother.

I took some down to my friend's house, and they disappeared very quickly (they are my human guinea pigs ha ha), so it's not just ds and I that think they were yummy.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Sep 09, 5:16 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 36,140 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    This will make you laugh - I needed bread today, but it was raining, so I wasn't keen on a trip out. I've made my own bread, but ds doesn't like it yet (he will, I just need to work on him, he's only 4). While I was working my way up to a trip out, I called in at my neighbours house with a couple of scotch pancakes for her to try.

My neighbour was wanting some porridge, but didn't have any oats. Due to her husband's shopping habits, she had plenty of bread. Thanks to Twink and the hobnobs, I had oats. We swapped some oats for some sliced bread and hey presto, my first NSD of September, yet I still have what I needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,111Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin