Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 34
  • clutterydrawer
    well I'm up to 40.71 now due to milk and lemon buying antics....also got a little bit of cheese for a risotto tomorrow...I'm allowed cheese, im having a tressful month! might still come in under budget, who knows though
    August grocery challenge: 50
    Spent so far: 37.40
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 19th Aug 09, 10:34 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Thanks everyone for you concern about my mother . Really appreciate it

Brilliant meal plan OS is obviously contagious

Its great that you're helping your mum, but without being nosy, can I ask if she's able to get more to live on than 30 a week? sorry, not sure if she's claiming any benefits or whatever, but depending on her age and circumstances she might be entitled to a little help?
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Course your not being nosy rosie, my other has a meeting friday to see if she is entitled to any other money.Luckily, i managed to her rent and council tax sorted out for her, now its just utilities. Its a relief for her now that she knows she a roof over her head. She was afraid the council would terminate her tenancy.
    Just another 20 on her so should keep her going for a few days.

Ita hitting my shopping budget really hard now as well. So hopefully my sister will start helping her out as well.

I'm in need of some help please. The problem I have a few too many tomatoes well I have 30 tomato plants and I need some ideas what to do with them. (why 30 plants becaues I grew some plants and my nan bless her thought she would do 15 for me).
    Originally posted by turbo5019
    You could making salsa and relishes from them, as well as tomato chutney?
    Tomatoes tend to be eaten in salads here or just plain like a strawberry.
    Try roasting them with some olive oil and garlic then freezing. blitzing them in a tomato sauce for pasta. I use fresh tomatoes in curries and soups as well.

Heres one recipe i did last year:-

Red tomato chutney
    • 3 lb red tomatoes
    • 1 lbapples
    • 2 oz salt
    • 1 pints white vinegar
    • 3 cloves chopped garlic
    • 2 oz (56 g) mixed spices e.g coriander seeds, mustard seeds etc
    • 21/2 tsp ground ginger
    • 7 oz brown sugar
    1. slice and skin the tomatoes and repeat with the apples as well as removing core.
    2. Place the above into a pan along with the salt, vinegar, ground ginger and sugar. Add the pickling spices chopped and garlic tied and give a good stir.
    3. Bring to the boil and then cook and stir until its becomes thick.
    4. Once cooked remove bay leaves (if used) I tend to leave pickling spices as i like the tangy taste. But you can remove them.
    5. Place into warm, clean jars and seal it while its hot
    6. Leaves for at least 4 weeks to allow the flavours to settle.
    the meal plan has stuck so far, having leftover spag bol tomorrow .
  • Tashja
    Morning all

Can't sleep so decided to mooch on here

I have had another Tesco order delivered yesterday so will update in a mo - a once a week shop is working well for us and even with the delivery charge we are saving money by using coupons and money saved in petrol and stress !! Shopping with a DH and 3 children is a nightmare !!

DWP finally sorted out my IB - for some reason it was still frozen even though 2 managers had released the money ???

So today we have the paper man in decorating DS room. Amazingly, and with thanks tgo the Fly Lady thread, I decided to clear out the understairs cupboard and in doing so I found loads of old toys and baby bits which I have put up for sale and so far raised 25.00. This is going to go towards new carpet for DS room which will be a bonus as I forgot the stuff was there. I am also going to put a line in my signature of money raised from decluttering !!! I am a hoarder

Also will do a carrot cake today as it is the paper mans favorite

Hello!!! Not sure if it is the same, but this is the recipe i use =

8oz s/r flour,
    1/2 tsp ground mixed spice,
    5oz soft dark brown sugar,
    5 oz carrots, grated,
    2 eggs,
    1/4 pt corn or sunflower oil,
    2 tbsp milk.

180C - 40 mins, oblong tin, just mix all ingredients together, then bake!

Topping -

2oz butter, softened,
    8oz icing sugar.
    Originally posted by catowen
    I have used this recipe before and it was great !!

Will have a read back then post some personals but I hope everyone is ok ((hugs))

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 20th Aug 09, 5:26 AM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Morning all!

Payday tomorrow (Yay!) so I would like to:

Declare for August at 214.15/250
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 20th Aug 09, 8:33 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    As you can see, my spends are scarily above my estimated 220 for the month & we're only half way there! Personally I blame MrT for putting those vouchers in the paper on a week-end & of course, nothing what-so-ever to do with my lack of self control
    It does mean that I have a goodly store cupboard though so hopefully spending will be kept to a minimum from now on.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• rockie4
    • By rockie4 20th Aug 09, 9:27 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    Really cross with myself I was doing really well, then last night I went to Asda for milk and a few bits........and spent 35.38 which takes me to 173.63 with a week to go!!!!!!!

Several things that we use were on offer so I doubled up which means I'm quite well stocked but I forgot to get cat food...... might have to send OH with just enough cash for that one.....
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 20th Aug 09, 10:00 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 9,379 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Did a weekly shop yesterday evening. I hadn't planned to go quite so early in the week but had to take the opportunity when it arose. I've spent quite a bit more due to a friend coming to stay for a few days over the weekend, and bought a few things I wouldn't normally. Also bought a veggie ready meal which I ate when I got home and it was yuk. Only had about 3 lentils in it and lots of "sauce" and cost 2.29. It took 5 mins to heat up in the microwave - I would have been better off paying less for a bag of stir fry vegetables and had a couple of tasty meals out of it for much less money.

Anyway, I still managed to spend less than I would previously have done as I kept thinking about posting up the amount on here which kept me focussed on only spending what I needed to.

I should only need to get some salad over the weekend and hopefully that'll be it for the month.
    Decluttering 344/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone, Well I have to report that I'm well over for this month now. I also have to admit to losing count as well, but I think I am around 50 over Not quite sure how this happened because I was doing quite well in the beginning, but just lost track somewhere in the middle. PLEASE DON'T THROW ME OUT OF THE CLUB! I will keep trying. Also we had a disaster with the freezer, which for some reason just stopped working. All the food had thawed out before we discovered it, so lots of wasted soggy veggies etc. DH fiddled about at the back of the freezer with the plug and it suddenly started working again but we are not sure how trustworthy it is, although its been ok for around 10 days now. Still, I think we may need to look around for a replacement. So I have been busy trying to restock and batch cook. On the upside, we have picked loads of blackberries, so I made 9lb of blackberry and apple jam and have frozen:rolleyes: 5lb for pies etc. I can't say I have seen many offers over the past week or so because I'm been avoiding shopping as much as possible, but I must try to do better. Hope you are all doing well with your budgets. I need to catch up on some of your posts now. Have a nice day!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 20th Aug 09, 2:36 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Just thought i's post this up for everyone. As i have just made some for the boys. Darn fruit flies are everywhere.Just froze more brambles and grapes.

Banana Cake / Bread
    250ish grams plain flour
    1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    100g butter / margerine
    100g cup sugar (i used light brown sugar, all i had left)
    6 whole overripe bananas mashed (or less if you wish, we like bananas)
    1tsp of vanilla flouring / essence whichever

DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5. Grease and flour a loaf pan / cake tins

2. rub butter and flour together till looks like bread crumbs add salt.
    3. Add sugar to the flour mix well and add the mashed up bananas.Stir in the egg and add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
    4. Pour the mixture into greased loaf pan / cake tin.

5. Place on top shelf of oven for around 60 minutes. Check its ready by making sure sa knife comes out clean.
    6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.
    It is more of a cake than bread.
    • alipops1986
    • By alipops1986 20th Aug 09, 4:39 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    alipops1986
    This weeks shopping came to 25.25, thanks to 7 of coupons from Mr Tesco D

That leaves 4.75 for next week. Should only need milk and bread by then!

Determined to stick to it!!
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 20th Aug 09, 4:47 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Kezlou - I made Banana bread yesterday too-using bananas from the freezer. Whenever I have one or two left at the end of the week and they are a bit soft (I don't like them like that) I put them into the freezer then take out as needed for the banana cake.

I also like to add some sultanas and a few chopped walnuts - lovely

• Curlytop40
    Kezlou - I made Banana bread yesterday too-using bananas from the freezer. Whenever I have one or two left at the end of the week and they are a bit soft (I don't like them like that) I put them into the freezer then take out as needed for the banana cake.

I also like to add some sultanas and a few chopped walnuts - lovely
    Originally posted by ellemm
    Hi ellemm, do you freeze tham in their skins or without?
    Thanks.
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 20th Aug 09, 6:55 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Thanks rosieben & kezlou I really need to get on cooking the tomatoes. Might also try making the banana cake I have a few bananas in the freezer.

Failed again this month only been back 2 months and can't get back into the swing of things. Why is it I have a fridge, freezer and cupboards full (oh and under the bed, top of wardrobe) and I still have to go out and spend money. Note to self must try harder next month.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 20th Aug 09, 7:35 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 9,379 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Hello Turbo5019,

Maybe giving yourself an extra incentive would help to motivate you to come in under budget and use up the food stocks that you already have?

Is there something that maybe you've been putting off because you don't have sufficient money for it that you could put the money saved towards?

You could put the saved money into a separate account so that you can see it grow towards your goal of however much you need.

Just a suggestion ....
    Decluttering 344/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 20th Aug 09, 8:04 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Thanks oceanspirit I really need a kick up bum. DH is off sick and even though he is fit to go back to work he has had to take 6 months off before he's aloud anywhere near the rig. They don't care that we havn't had any money coming in since end june and we don't think he will be going back till Oct. I have got enough in savings at min to cover bills etc but I did GC last year and did really well for 8 months then I slipped back in to bad habbits.

I and really going to try and just eat from the stocks we have. Just had good talk with DH and he is up for not spending. I do grow our own potatoes, tomotoes, beans, carrots and blueberrys so shouldn't need much.

I think tomorrow I am going to make a list of everything and try a do a meal plan.

It's so good to be back I must try and post not just reading more maybe that will help.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • Tashja
    Evening all

Still not tired despite the time i was up this morning (4.30am). Had a yummy tea tonight of potato casserol which the kids gobbled down even though there was no meat in it !! Will be a regular on the menu plan now.

Shocked myself today by applying for a job !?? No idea what that was about because GP doesn't want me to go back yet but I feel ready so will chat to him tomorrow.

If I do go back we will need to live out of the slow cooker and be mega organised !!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
    • 666paw
    • By 666paw 20th Aug 09, 10:59 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    666paw
    Hi all

Fell off the wagon for a while but have decided to return. Total is for me, OH, 1 cat & 2 gerbils and I intend to include all food, cleaning items, pet food & toiletries. My total is way too much compared to some people but I believe there is no point in going too low at first and then failing like last time. (Last month we spent around 225)

Please could you count me in for 190 starting from today as got paid yesterday, I will class this as my August GC - September GC, how can it be when I get paid middle of month to middle of month. Just me being more than a bit DOH!!!
    Last edited by 666paw; 28-08-2009 at 1:24 PM.
    MFI3 T3 # 75
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 21st Aug 09, 7:24 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning all

Think I am just about to manage this month got to last till Monday and I have 6 cash and a 10 meat voucher from a local butchers that MIL won on bingo and passed on to me got menu worked out till then and only need couple of bits so really pleased will take me to 298 and I normally just over so will try even harder next month

good luck everyone
    February grocery challenge 200
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 21st Aug 09, 8:39 AM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 11,732 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Crikey, with being away I'm not sure if I registered for August, but my totals are 156/160 which is a relief, am going for a total of 200 in september when the new thread starts. Good luck everyone.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 21st Aug 09, 8:42 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Hi ellemm, do you freeze tham in their skins or without?
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Curlytop40
    In their skins Curlytop40 - something I picked up on these threads. I just take them out the morning I am planning to bake a banana loaf and by evening they are defrosted. Pretty gross looking but perfect for baking!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin