Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 33
  • DrFluffy
    I've still not been to the supermarket yet this month... I have had a couple of take aways though (I'm on afternoon-evenings this week)... BUT, I can get three nights of meals out of £3.50
    April Grocery Challenge 81/120
    • pixie1
    • By pixie1 19th Aug 09, 5:31 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    pixie1
    Oh im not doing very well this month but i have brought a few housey things and had to start re-stocking my store cupboard. Im $300 into my $600 budget and i only have a few meals that i can make with what i have Must meal plan better!!!

Pix
    Debt Free At Last!
    • Money Fritter
    • By Money Fritter 19th Aug 09, 8:26 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Money Fritter
    Morning everyone,

Spent 18 on shopping yesterday, taking my total to 80.52. So I am 31p under my monthly budget.

I should not need anything else now, as I get paid next tuesday. However, I will not declare yet.

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) 25938.84; Current 23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 128.47/6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 443.86/15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft 0/2500 (0%)
  • rosieben
    ... As of yesterday i'm officially assisting my mother with her food bills, she is feeding 2 adults, a dog + paying bills on 30 a week.
    the boys have decided to make a meal plan of they own for this weekend to my surprise this is what they decided upon for main meals
    I swear i nearly choked on my tea, so this is what were having up to now, with on demand salad, yes you heard right, salad, omelettes and sandwiches!!!
    I think i should call the police and say my kids have been adducted.
    Originally posted by kezlou
    Brilliant meal plan OS is obviously contagious

Its great that you're helping your mum, but without being nosy, can I ask if she's able to get more to live on than 30 a week? sorry, not sure if she's claiming any benefits or whatever, but depending on her age and circumstances she might be entitled to a little help?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 19th Aug 09, 9:38 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I have four days to go until payday and I am becoming very mean!

I have put up a spreadsheet showing all the meals between now and payday and beyond, that includes lunches. And woe betide anyone who uses something from cupboard, fridge or freezer that is allocated to a meal.
    DH made sausage sandwiches for all the sons and himself on Saturday and as a result I was short of food for Tuesday!!

kezlou You must be so relieved about your mum but still a swollen gland can be painfull.
    elly2 I bought a cheap bread maker about 10 years ago and it is still going.
  • ForeverHopeful
    I'm loving this thread. Lots of ideas.

I get paid tomorrow, so can I join the Sept Grocery Challenge please? I would like to aim for 250.00. Feeding 2 adults and 2 children (4 & 2).

I'm going to do my menu plan tonight so will post it on here later

Thanks X
    Need to start again
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 19th Aug 09, 10:30 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Just added up the last few days (including an Asda trip) - I have 34.48 left, and 12 days to go.

I know I'll need at least 10 worth of milk, the cheese won't make it either (5), bread is going to be tight as the freezer is almost empty (5), and the fruit bowl is almost empty too (10) - so that leaves me around 5 for anything I've forgotten - which should be do-able if I can control the plague of locusts that keeps attacking my pantry :rolleyes:

At least the start of packed lunches falls into next months budget - that'll be a big shop that week as they all need new lunchboxes too - 2 eldest have them 5 days a week, and the littlest's new playgroup does a lunch club to get them used to handling lunchboxes etc and the overall experience ready for next September, so he'll be packed up once a week too. Coming up to the end of an era *sniffle*

I know this isn't really the right place, but has anyone seen any cheap Ben10 or Cars lunchbags around?
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • ktpie
    Just been to Tescos so now we have spent 254.02 out of our 300 budget. Hoping we will be able to do it!
  • Ninno820
    Hi - my payday is this friday - can I declare a target of 200 for September?

Ninno
    44 day challenge

1. Pay 650 off overdraft ( 288/ 650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
    • lambanana
    • By lambanana 19th Aug 09, 11:27 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    lambanana
    Spent another 4.46 yesterday but got whoopsied free range eggs, milk, bread, pie ingredients and baked beans. Think I need to mealplan in earnest to ensure I don't over-spend for the last 2 weeks of this month and to try use up some of what I've got. Unfortunately I do seem to be lacking in protien sources for meals so will have to buy some meat and quorn type stuff to make that up. Didn't buy any food today though, not a NSD technically as I bought some stuff which my mum is paying me back for (does that count?!) but I went straight in the supermarket and came out with only what I went for, didn't even browse!! Have pork steaks, tomatoes, peppers, corn and kidney beans in the slow cooker for tonight which is all stuff I had in anyway.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    CC: 6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • scotsaver
    Hi, does anyone know what I can do with rhubarb as well as stewing it for crumble etc? I've just been given some.
    Originally posted by Curlytop40
    Hi Curlytop40 - we had some Rhubarb from the Garden last night but we just stewed it and stirred in some Natural Yoghurt, the kids love it like that, otherwise I just make a Crumble or an Eve's style pud but instead of apples I use Rhubarb.

I've also made this before Rhubarb and Orange Jelly with Cardamom from Sophie Grigson's Feasts for a Fiver book:-

650g Rhubarb
    Juice of 2 Oranges
    340g Caster Sugar
    4 sheets of Gelatine
    3 Cardamom Pods

Cut the Rhubarb into 1 inch lengths and put into an Ovenproof dish with the orange juice and sugar. Cover with foil and leave in Oven for 25-30 mins at 180 degrees until just tender. Drain off the liquid into a measuring jug so that you have 1 pint, if you don't have enough top it up with more Orange Juice. (Keep the cooked Rhubarb as I will list another Recipe below).

Half fill a roasting tin with cold water and lay the sheets of gelatine in it to soak for a few mins. Slit open the Cardamoms and extract the seeds and crush with a pestle and mortar or a rolling pin. Put the reserved Juice in a pan with the crushed cardamoms, bring to just under the boil, turn the heat down to low and let the mixture infuse for 10 mins. Take the gelatine sheets out of the cold water and stir into the hot juice until dissolved. Pour into a Jelly mould or individual dishes and leave in the Fridge to set.

To use up the cooked Rhubarb from above try this Feisty Rhubarb Relish which is from the same book:-

225g of Cooked Rhuarb
    1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    2 spring onions thinly sliced
    2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander

Just mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.

Both of these Recipes are delicious and very Summery, in fact I'm now going to put them on my Menu plan for the Weekend.

Dinner tonight is going to be Spag Bol, using up some Mince from the Freezer as I must try and get my little Chest Freezer defrosted soon. Have been trying to use up what is in there and it's helped to keep costs of GC down this month.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 19th Aug 09, 12:53 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Curlytop I make rhubarb chutney which everyone loves. Also cake, scones, rhubarb and ginger jam.
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 19th Aug 09, 2:29 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Total update

7 in Sainsbugs on reduced cucumber, celery and tomatoes, Then full price basics yoghurt,nan breads, orange juice x2 and beetroot and coriander

3.38 on Monday with upset stomach fixing food
    12 94 in Mr A on milk, cleaning cloths on offer, lampshade and tealight holders

36.57 left until this time next week
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 19th Aug 09, 7:04 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    I'm in need of some help please. The problem I have a few too many tomatoes well I have 30 tomato plants and I need some ideas what to do with them. (why 30 plants becaues I grew some plants and my nan bless her thought she would do 15 for me).
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
    • cw18
    • By cw18 19th Aug 09, 7:08 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    I've decided that I'm going to have to stop going and checking Mr M for late night clearances - not only are BOTH my freezers full to capacity, so is my fridge after tonight

Tonight I've spent just 4.76, and netted myself groceries worth 28.62

Plaice Fillet x 2 : 45p (93p) each - special treats for me, will probably be had when son has curry. Now in freezer
    Spaghetti Carbonara : 10p (1.99) - will do for elder son (probably tomorrow)
    Fish Pie : 35p (75p) - my tea tonight! had kept some of last nights tea for me, but elder son helped himself to it when I was out earlier
    Greek Yoghurt (500g) : 10p (2.17) - for me... love it with muesli for breakfast
    Mild Cheese Slices (20 slices / 400g) x 4 : 25p (2.49) each
    Fruit Pot (melon assortment) x 2 : 10p (1.19) each - for me, 1 tonight, 1 tomorrow
    Sugared Ring Donuts (pack of 6) : 25p (69p) - for younger son, who'll no doubt eat them all tonight!
    Chocolate Croissants (4 pack) : 19p (1.65) - for younger son who'll demolish them for brunch tomorrow
    Sausages, speciality (pork, red pepper, shallot, chilli - 6 pack) x 2 : 49p (2.09) - for me son will only eat the cheapo ones, and eats 4 at a time (cost of 20p). I was down to 3 (15p) but will split these into 2's for me.... cost 16p/meal for 6 meals
    Minted Lamb Kebabs (pack of 5 small) : 69p (2.99). Will let the boys fight over these at lunch time tomorrow
    Cheryl
  • JayJay14
    Turbo5019

MrsM will probably be along in a bit to give you ideas - tossing in oil and roasting them, possibly with peppers and onions (and courgettes and anything else you can think of) is a good idea. Loverly as a veg and great blitzed in the blender for pasta sauce or for pizzas. Freezes really well to for summer flavours in the deapth of winter.

NSD for me today - good job as I have moths in my purse - OH cadged the last of my cash this morning!!
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 19th Aug 09, 7:26 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    [QUOTE=JayJay14;24363479]Turbo5019

MrsM will probably be along in a bit to give you ideas - tossing in oil and roasting them, possibly with peppers and onions (and courgettes and anything else you can think of) is a good idea. Loverly as a veg and great blitzed in the blender for pasta sauce or for pizzas. Freezes really well to for summer flavours in the deapth of winter.

QUOTE]
    Thanks for that I have made tomato soup but it's only me that eats it.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • rosieben
    I'm in need of some help please. The problem I have a few too many tomatoes well I have 30 tomato plants and I need some ideas what to do with them. (why 30 plants becaues I grew some plants and my nan bless her thought she would do 15 for me).
    Originally posted by turbo5019
    I second roasting and freezing; you could also make a big pot of tomato sauce to use as a base for spag bol, lasagne etc ?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • elly2
    • By elly2 19th Aug 09, 8:09 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Another NSD here today so am still at 6 , but tomorrow is Mr T's day I need cat/puppy food, cat litter and some stuff for sandwiches for the kids I am going to try for 25-30, I dont really need much :rolleyes: (about 16 of that will be on pet food/litter and also needs to include 3 for the taxi home).
    Tea tonight was turkey leg,mash,peas and gravy for the lo's (i have had nothing as yet ) Tea tomorrow will be spag bol from the freezer . I have some cooking apples that need using so will maybe get round to making a crumble or apple cake thing(?) for desert.

• helen jelly
    Hi - just popped in to update siggy

Spent 19 at Mr A today - not sure what I got for that though!!!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

6,041Users online

Martin's Twitter