Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 31
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 16th Aug 09, 6:15 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Does anyone know if I can freeze it once made, or am I better freezing the stock and making up small batches when I want some?
    Originally posted by cw18
    I would freeze when it's made up and portion it up for the freezer
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Tashja
    CW

Thank you hun ((hugs)) I am going to call them tomorrow. Last time they had the money in the bank the day I called and then promised this wouldn't happen again !! It is a nightmare.

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
    • booklover
    • By booklover 16th Aug 09, 7:28 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    booklover
    Hello everyone

Sorry for being a bit late but things have been very stressful with my mother seriously ill in hospital and we were away for week earlier in the month.

Please put me down for 120 for moth of August.

Many thanks in advice for all the wonderful support and advice.

Fiona x
  • rosieben
    Hello everyone

Sorry for being a bit late but things have been very stressful with my mother seriously ill in hospital and we were away for week earlier in the month.
    Originally posted by booklover
    Hope your mother is well soon Fiona, sending good vibes your way
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Curlytop40
    Hi, I wonder if I might join you. I'm aiming for 380 for august to include all groceries, petrol, cat food, cat litter, days out and treats and two major birthday presents.
    I realise this is extravagant compared to a lot of you, especially as there is just me, dd(4) and 2 siamese cats but its quite a cut down for me and I'm determined to stick to it and start saving more.
    Hope to get to know you all over the next few weeks.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th Aug 09, 12:45 AM
    • 25,152 Posts
    • 29,392 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    That is a great start Curlytop, I think the regulars (I am new on this challenge too) suggest you only cut back slowly as it's too difficult otherwise.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • kirstenc
    Hi guys, shopping day today, will be a bigger one than usual, as the schools go back on wednesday here, and my 'grocery' budget does include DS clothes and essentials, there will be a couple bits of school uniform in there tonight. Hoping to grab the 15 uniform but worried there will be none left!!

have some things that I can use as meals in the freezer so I may not meal plan for the whole week, rather buy less and use the frozen stuff this week with it being more expensive before I even get there.

I got a huge baguette last week that I popped in the freezer in bits, might make pizza baguette with one piece, have some mushrooms leftover and some pepperoni and ham in the fridge. Sounds like a plan!

I will be back later to let you know how the shop goes!!
    Pay 15k by Xmas10 1478.19/15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - 8550 overdraft#1 - 2516.87 0 credit card - 1210 0
    TOTAL - 12276.87 9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • babyhead
    Hi Guys, NSD for me today, so im chuffed!!

made homemade burgers tonight and they were YUM!! fell apart a little but still looked like burgers which is the main thing!!

Also, i popped this recipe on one of the diaries for someone who had a disaster curry evening, and thought I would share. If you have this or similar Im really sorry, but I love this thing and want to share with the world!!

Im gonna have to go copy and paste so I will be back in a minute!! (should have thought of that :rolleyes
    Originally posted by kirstenc
    That'll be my diary then

the recipe is in my meal plan for this week
    DFW Nerd #1152
    • moneytree1
    • By moneytree1 17th Aug 09, 8:35 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    moneytree1
    Hi all just a quick check in have spent total of 61.55 so far this month have 70.95 left for the next 2 weeks so should be ok took DD birthday tea spends out of birthday budget so all is good.
    She had a great day and loved her presents.
    2016 31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc 200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.
  • babyhead
    Ok...total now up to 174.86 from 200 budget until 29/8

OH did the shopping - i gave him my list as i was good and did a meal plan but OH chucked a few extras in :rolleyes: I've told him he isn't doing the shop alone again He proved that he doesn't check dates on things as he bought some ready meals which had a BB date of the day he bought them So he messed up my meal plan as when i went to the fridge, i noticed they were 1 day out and so we had them instead! It was a good job i noticed!!!

So we have 25.14 left until 29/8 which is 11/12 days. We have lots in so we should be fine. should only need milk etc. the shop did include some cleaning stuff and nappies as well so it wasnt too bad i guess!

HOWEVER we are having a tea party on sat for DS birthday so...it won't be fine. BUT i'm pleased i would have done the challenge otherwise IYSWIM

So....am currently writing a list of things i want to do for this and have allowed 70 quid if need be. I havnt got a cake yet and will need to buy some meat to go with the salads! With 70 quid THIS SHOULD BE EASY though!

Wish me luck
    DFW Nerd #1152
  • scotsaver
    Morning everyone - logged on to update my total again this morning as I have just been to Lidl to buy the Mature Cheese that is on special at only 1.29 for 400g packs. While I was I there I noticed that Vine Tomatoes are only 50p a Kilo so got a load of those, also have a few other specials like Iceberg lettuce for 29p etc etc. HTH

Dinner tonight is going to be Roast Chicken and all the trimmings - should have had this yesterday but had so many leftovers in the Fridge to use up. It's a huge Free Range Chicken that I got whoopsied so tomorrows Dinner will be Chicken and Ham Pie so shouldn't need to go anywhere near any shops until Wednesday or possibly Thursday.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    Just reporting the weekend spends..
    The original total in Mr Ts was 51ish but 4 of this was a book and newspaper (they don't count to this total), I had a 10 gift card from surveys and 17.50 in Mr T vouchers so the final total was 20.07
    Very happy with that!

I forgot mushrooms but got everything needed for this weeks meal plan and some extra cleaning bits and pieces so we should be ok with just a teeny spend on milk and mushrooms later in the week.

I'll update the sig in a sec but it looks ok for this months challenge..... famous last words!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • GettingHitched
    Hello

Can you put me down for 70 please. Ive already spent 30 ta muchly xc
    Kent Bird!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 17th Aug 09, 10:22 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Well hello everyone,

Haven't posted for a while as we've just got back from our holiday in Norfolk. Lovely holiday cottage, gorgeous weather, shame we only booked for one week really!

On the GC front things aren't looking too good. We visited MrT whilst on holiday to stock up on packed lunches and also ate dinner in 3 times. The other evenings we ate out, which comes from a different budget. All in all, we spent around 100 on food, which is a lot, but did include 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of cider, and around 10 bottles of locally brewed beer. I know, I know, it sounds awful doesn't it? But so much cheaper than the 5 of us eating out each night.

Anyway, we have one week left until our August GC ends and I'm off to MrT today to get the bits we need. I've done an inventory of the freezer and cupboards so will only get what we absolutely need.

DH came home from scout camp with leftover unopened goodies, so we now have 3 x bottles of choc sauce, 2 jars of lemon curd (I feel a cake coming on), 4 packs of couscous, copious packets of biscuits, 4 packs of cheese and 4 packs of mint humbugs. These are my 'presents' for having to wash up the mancky cutlery, utensils and frying pans.

Will be back on later to update my sig.

Have a good day all.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • lambanana
    • By lambanana 17th Aug 09, 10:39 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    lambanana
    I ended up spending a lot more than I would usually like to on Friday in preparation for a visit by the picky in-laws...a lot of the stuff will last a few while though so worth going really. Have just under 50 to last me to the end of the month and am confident I can do it, just need to make sure that 50 is in my purse and I don't take my bank card to the shops with me!! We should just about manage on what we've got in plus some bread, cheese, milk and fruit as the cupboards are looking pretty well stocked and the freezer also has plenty in.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    CC: 6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
    • elly2
    • By elly2 17th Aug 09, 10:40 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    I am failing miserably at this , I dont know where or what my money is being spent on, my freezer and cupboards are chock a block but still i am buying things i dont need. I am trying to put together a meal plan but am finding it so much hard work with 5 kids with such differing tastes . I was going to go into town today, we need bread and milk but i think i will chase DS there for me as i know he will only pick up what i put on the list . This is my 3rd week and i am determined to come in under budget and sort some kind of meal plan out :rolleyes:.

• rosieben
    I've just seen a post - somewhere :confused: - asking for Magic Lemon Pudding and as I cant find that particular thread again I thought I'd post here and add it to the GC recipe list.

3 different recipes for Magic Lemon Pudding

NB I've deleted the first recipe that was posted here as a couple of OS'ers reported back having had trouble with it.

Magic Lemon Pudding (2)
    Light, luscious, magic lemon pudding. Very quick and easy to do. Delicious for adults and great fun for the kids to make.

30 min 5 min prep

100 g self raising flour
    100 g butter, softened
    100 g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1 lemon rind, grated

For the sauce
    75 g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons cornflour
    1 lemon, juice of

Place the Flour, butter, 100g of sugar, lemon rind and the 2 eggs in a bowl or mixer.

Mix or hand whisk together, add a little milk if needed, to make a soft dropping consistency. Place in a greased dish.

Put the juice of a lemon in to a jug and make up to 200ml with boiling water add the sugar and corn flour.

Now this is the magic part. Gently pour ON TOP of the pudding mixture in the dish.

Bake for 25 - 35 mins depending on how deep the dish is on Gas mark 5.It will now be golden and firm on the top and the sauce will be on the bottom.

Serve with Yoghurt or Cream. Enjoy!

Lemon Magic Pudding (3)
    One simple batter produces the magic of both light sponge cake and delicious, creamy pudding.

3 eggs, separated
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
    3/4 cup milk

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. In separate bowl, stir together sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in lemon rind, juice, butter, milk and egg yolks. Fold beaten whites into lemon mixture.

Pour into greased 1-quart baking dish. Place in pan of hot water to 1-inch depth. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Serve warm or cold.

Makes about 4 servings.

Its so long since I made this and I cant remember which recipe I used, but I know it was lush
    Last edited by rosieben; 19-02-2012 at 5:28 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • taka
    • By taka 17th Aug 09, 1:49 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    taka
    Rosieben - It was the economy gastronomy thread! Yummy!
    2019 MFW #51 1100.07/1997.77
    MFiT-5 no 45
    MF date Dec 27, Oct 25
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • helen jelly
    MrsMcawber - just wanted to say that I've just made the Blackberry Bake that you put the recipe on here for [think it was on here] and although it doesn't look as good as the photo you put with the recipe it does look very tasty and I'm quite proud of myself as I find cooking ANYTHING a real effort as I'm not all that good at it. Will post later with the taste taste results - thank you

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • lollyfin
    • By lollyfin 17th Aug 09, 2:04 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    lollyfin
    Hi all
    elly2 I know what you mean with the kids, I have 4 and I can guarantee that no matter what I make someone will say I don't like that, so to that I have started saying tough. nothing I make is going to kill them (hopefully!) and I am not cooking 2 or 3 different things because I don't have time and eventually they will come round to eating more variety.
    I have had quite a lot of NSD's this month and still have 12.32 of my budget left till the end of the month ,10 more days yippee
    I will have to increase my budget for next month because I will have used up pretty much everything in the house this month, I am not sure how much to increase it too mmmm have to think about that a bit
    hugs all
    Lollyfin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter