Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 25th Jan 05, 8:21 PM
    • 7,259Posts
    • 8,310Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Anyone got any rice recipes?
    • 25th Jan 05, 8:21 PM
    Anyone got any rice recipes? 25th Jan 05 at 8:21 PM
    I'm looking for new ideas to cook rice.

So far all I can do with it is, boil, stir fry, veg rice, risotto or chinese style fried. If anyone has any creative ideas I'd appreciate it if they could post them.

Thanks in advance!

Oh btw, pasta recipes would be good too! Fed up with our staple diet of potatoes and looking for new ideas for tea.
    Last edited by arkonite_babe; 25-01-2005 at 8:21 PM. Reason: typo's
Page 1
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 25th Jan 05, 9:06 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:06 PM
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:06 PM
    Suppli` (also called Arancini di Riso meaning: little rice oranges)

You need leftover risotto (originally already dressed with sauce or butter and parmesan and spices), mozzarella cheese, breadcrumbs, egg and frying oil.

Mix the leftover risotto with an egg and then form into balls a bit bigger than golf-size and a bit smaller than tennis-size (yeh? hehe). With a clean finger make a hole in the centre and fill with cubed mozzarella, then close the hole with more rice mix. Roll in fine breadcrumbs and deep fry.

Enjoy!

Caterina
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 25th Jan 05, 9:15 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:15 PM
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:15 PM
    no recipes at the moment due to half a bottle of quality white and an enforced chill out session...
    but...
    risotto
    jambalaya
    biryani
    rice pudding
    congee - (rice soup)
    sushi
    put it in soup and casseroles to thicken it
    cooked chilled then fried to put into sizzling soup
    stuff vegetables with it
    feed the pigeons
    use it as a topping instead of potato or pastry, add some cheese so it doesnt dry out
    HTH
    as a student i often ate rice cooked with red lentils as a main meal. Once a moneysaver, always a moneysaver...
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 25th Jan 05, 9:40 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:40 PM
    • 25th Jan 05, 9:40 PM
    Liking the sound of these so far, keep em coming!
  • Mrsbojangles
    • 26th Jan 05, 5:39 PM
    • 26th Jan 05, 5:39 PM
    Hi lots of rice and pasta recipes on http://www.campbellsoup.co.uk/ ! I use the condensed soups a lot, they are cheap and an excellent way of making meals economically, very tasty too!
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 26th Jan 05, 7:58 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 26th Jan 05, 7:58 PM
    • 26th Jan 05, 7:58 PM
    Thankyou! will check that out later.
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 26th Jan 05, 8:00 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    • 26th Jan 05, 8:00 PM
    • 26th Jan 05, 8:00 PM
    You can use cooked rice (mixed with other chopped veg eg tomatoes, mushrooms, or peas sweetcorn etc) as a filling for peppers, tomatoes or stuffed marrow, bake in the oven (top with cheese if you want as well). This is good for any bits of left-over rice and veg.

You can also use cooked rice, lentils, breadcrumbs, chopped nuts to make a nut loaf (use an egg as well to help "bind" it).
  • pickle
    • 1st Feb 05, 9:23 AM
    Rice Recipes
    • 1st Feb 05, 9:23 AM
    This is a recipe for spinach rice

90g butter (marg ok too)
    1 cup long-grain rice
    2 cups rich chicken stock
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablesp. olive oil
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    250g frozen chopped spinach leaf
    spring onions, chopped

- heat butter in heavy based pan, add rice, stir over low heat 10 mins or until golden brown
    - add stock, salt and pepper, bring slowly to boil, stir constantly.
    - reduce heat and simmer covered 20 min
    - cover and set aside.

- heat oil in small pan. add onions, stir over med. heat for 5 mins, add spinach. reduce heat, cook, covered for 10 mins or until spinach is hot. add spring onions, stir 1 min.
    - add spinach mixture to rice and stir through.

Pasta recipes

Ham and Mushroom Fettucine sauce (serves 2-4)

Fry one 1 onion (chopped) and 3 cloves garlic (mince)
    Add chopped ham (couple of handfuls) and mushrooms (couple of handfuls - peeled and sliced - or could use tinned)
    add 1 stock cube (chicken or veg) crushed up
    add some ground pepper
    Fry for a few minutes then add cream

Bacon and Tomato Pasta Sauce
    (serves 2)

Fry 1 onion (chopped) and 3 cloves garlic (minced)
    - add 4 rashers of bacon (chopped into small pieces), fry until bacon and onion soft
    - add a tin of tomatoes (can add another tin if want it to stretch further)
    - add a chicken or veg. stock cube (crushed up)
    - add 1 dess. sp tomato paste
    - splash of any wine (optional)
    - add a generous pinch of basil (about a teaspoon)
    - add 1/2 teasp. sugar
    - add salt and pepper to taste
  • littleangel
    • 4th Feb 05, 9:35 PM
    • 4th Feb 05, 9:35 PM
    If you're getting bored, try different types of rice for a change.

Or even better, couscous. It's especially good when you want something quick - disregard the instructions and put it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it and leave it for 5 minutes then add whatever you fancy. My current favourite post-work food fix is to fry up an onion and add a tin of tomatoes, some chick peas, whatever vegies are in the fridge and looking a bit worse for wear and loads of herbs or spices - then mix with the couscous. 5 minutes to healthy winter comfort food!
  • Squidgy
    what about egg fried rice?

Have you tried gnocchi? it's like a mix between potatoes and pasta, it's classed alongside pasta (i think) but you can make it from potatoes. If you want the recipe let me know and I'll try and dig it out.

Squidgy
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • coffeeandfags
    What do do with leftover rice??
    I have nearly half a pan of cooked long grain rice left over from our Sweet and sour chicken tonight.
    Any ideas of what to do with it??

Janny
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 5th Apr 05, 5:49 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Refrigerate it quickly while you decide, as it can be a bit dodgy healthwise if left in a warm environment.

Maybe you could throw a few bits and pieces in and make a risotto for lunch or dinner tomorrow - whatever you have can go in, it doesn't have to be a proper recipe.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• moggins
    • By moggins 5th Apr 05, 5:57 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    It freezes really well too, so you could always keep it until you need to cook another load, I just defrost and reheat mine in the microwave.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • coffeeandfags
    HELP.... i dont know how to make a risotto!!

janny
  • BrightonLad
    One of my faves.... make a nice cold rice salad....

mix in a tablespoon of Mayo,
    capers,
    hard boiled eggs, cut up,
    3 or 4 frankfurters cut up,
    artichoke hearts (marinated ones)
    mushrooms (in oil in jars)

keeps for a 2 or 3 days in the fridge.

yum yum!
  • ACID
    mix it up and turn it into a pilau style dish??
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 5th Apr 05, 6:15 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    HELP.... i dont know how to make a risotto!!

janny
    by coffeeandfags
    Well a very simple one would be fry off some chopped onions and mushrooms, and stir into the rice with a handful of (cooked) frozen or (uncooked) tinned peas and/or sweetcorn. Maybe top with some grated cheese and heat through thoroughly in the oven. Make sure it is piping hot - for the rice's sake!

That's the veggie version - you could add cooked chicken, chopped cooked bacon or cooked sliced sausage to give it a bit more oomph.

(Sorry to keep emphasising the "cooked" - I'd hate to be responsible for you getting e-coli! ).
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Queenie
    Egg Fried Rice - Queenie's El Cheapo

Heat a little oil in a frying pan/wok. Add rice and stir fry for a minute or two, add a couple of beaten eggs, continue to stir fry until egg is cooked.

Additions for creative moments: onion (fry off before adding rice, eggs); crispy bacon before rice n eggs; onions, garlic b4 rice n eggs; to heck with it add any veggie, meat scraps b4 rice and stir fry

Stir Fry: Carrot sticks, beansprouts, chicken strips, l/o cold pork strips, prawns, courgette strips, bung it all in the wok, work it by stirring it, add any seasoning you have/fancy, add your cooked rice for the last minute until heated through and serve.

Rice Salad: Cubed cucumber, chopped fresh tomato, sweetcorn, a handful of sultana's, sometimes I add a few chopped nuts - then whatever I have to hand ... flaked smoked mackeral; prawns; cold meat, shredded; drizzle over a little lemon juice and olive oil .... voila!
    Store cupboard version: Cooked cold rice, cubed corned beef/tinned ham/flaked tinned tuna - add a tin of sweetcorn, toss with a drizzle of dressing.

Breakfast: (trust me! I have been very poor at times!!! LOL ) Add a bit of milk and mix well, put in a pan and heat through until the milk has been absorbed. Serve with: a blob of jam/marmalade, or a sprinkle of brown sugar, or a handful of sultana's and a chopped banana/apple/orange/prunes.

Pie Crust: Line a pie dish with the cold rice and using the back of a spoon push it down flat on the base and up the sides like pastry. Add a filling (chopped chicken in a white sauce, left over savoury mince?) which needs to be a little damp or the finished result will be too dry and unpalatable - even a basic cheese sauce can be used! Bake until the filling is set/golden and serve with a mixed green salad

Left over rice? Bah, no such thing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • tiff
    • By tiff 5th Apr 05, 6:34 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I have nearly half a pan of cooked long grain rice left over from our Sweet and sour chicken tonight.
    Any ideas of what to do with it??

Janny
    by coffeeandfags
    If you want to cook rice in future without making too much, measure it out. I use one large mug full of rice for 2 adults and 2 kids, see how much works for you.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 5th Apr 05, 7:30 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    Jazz the rice up with some veg (eg peas, sweetcorn, chopped pepper & onion) then use to stuff tomatoes or peppers and bake in the oven.

Or you could combine it with some minced meat or chicken or mashed up beans (pinto, kidney beans) and an egg if needed to bind it, and make your own burgers, then fry til brown. Serve with the risotto you've made with the rest of the rice!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

5,884Users online

Martin's Twitter