Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 27
    • elf06
    • By elf06 12th Aug 09, 10:59 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Ok disaster - please someone help me!! In middle of making fifteens and have run out of condensed milk - what can I do (other than go get some more)?

ETA - I used what I had but mixture not runny enough
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • 3106catherine
    Any ideas for hat to do with a shed load of sliced gammon? I have about 15-20 slices but stupidly threw it all in to the freezer in one bag and forgot to seperate it meaning it will all have to be defrosted.......
    cc £1023.71
    loan £829.37
    overdraft £2500
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 12th Aug 09, 12:32 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Having a rough time here with mr and mrs, good job I have HM meals ready in the freezer Chicken caserole pots and veg followed by Mr t's 2p angel delight
    Still not been to the shops as supermarket a la HWGA is still full

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • kippers
    • By kippers 12th Aug 09, 12:38 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Just a quick update...i've got £80.98 food money left until 24th August...12 days, i'm really pleased so far with that.
    • lollyfin
    • By lollyfin 12th Aug 09, 12:43 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    lollyfin
    Hi elf
    if you have powdered milk you can make condensed milk
    I got this off the net somewhere, will admit I haven't tried it yet but you might want to give it a go
    on the hob heat half a cup of water,1 cup of sugar and 3 tbsp of marg and a dash of salt. stir occasionally and when it comes to fully boiling remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then add a cup of powdered milk and whisk really well or it will go lumpy
    it should keep in the fridge for 2 weeks it says
    hope that helps
    Lollyfin
    ps what are fifteens, am totally clueless lol
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 12th Aug 09, 12:49 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    My bill came in at £48 at the weekend, so £8 over, totalling £8 over so far. I got £7 in Tesco vouchers, though, so hopefully those will help this week.
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; £50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; £2,500 cash; £36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; £1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • elf06
    • By elf06 12th Aug 09, 1:08 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Hi elf
    if you have powdered milk you can make condensed milk
    I got this off the net somewhere, will admit I haven't tried it yet but you might want to give it a go
    on the hob heat half a cup of water,1 cup of sugar and 3 tbsp of marg and a dash of salt. stir occasionally and when it comes to fully boiling remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then add a cup of powdered milk and whisk really well or it will go lumpy
    it should keep in the fridge for 2 weeks it says
    hope that helps
    Lollyfin
    ps what are fifteens, am totally clueless lol
    Originally posted by lollyfin
    thanks for that - I dont have any powdered milk. I tried boiling some evaporated milk and some sugar together but not sure how well it worked! Will find out soon. the recipe for fifteens are at the start of this thread under the pudding bit. My gran used to make this but called it mallow roll but its the same thing - its yummy
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Boodle
    Hi all Not doing as badly as usual so far at aiming for my budget -if I stay at the £30 for the next 2 weeks, I would only be about a fiver over which is fabulous for me . We did a lovely self-saucing pud from with larder stuff the other night so thought I would share what we did in case any of you guys get the choccy craving late in the evening and fancy a go...

I mixed together: about 2 tbsp veg oil, 100ml milk, 100g self raising flour, 25g cocoa powder, 100g granulated sugar and 1 tsp mixed spice. This was poured into a deep cereal bowl. I sprinkled 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp granulated sugar and a pinch of mixed spice over the top, followed by a splosh of hot water from the kettle (I would guess about 50ml). A plate went on top, and it was microwaved for 3 mins in an 850W mw oven. Very yum with thick organic cream... mmmmm....
    Love and compassion to all x
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - hope you are all well.

Thanks MRSMC - for the Blackberry Bake recipe, off out into the Garden in a moment to pick some blackberries to make this for Pud tonight.

Dinner tonight will be Sausages, mash, carrots, cabbage and loads of gravy, pudding will be as mentioned above.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but Iceland are now selling 4 pints of milk for £1 and Lidl's are going to be sellling 400g packs of Mature Cheddar from Monday 17th Aug for only £1.29 (better make some room in the Freezer).

Off out into the Garden now to pick some Blackberries - have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

I was a tad naughty -and when we had to nip out this morning I popped into PLUS/NETTO and came out with a nice beef fillet joint -whoopsed to €4 ..... so I have cut 6x6oz steaks off the rounder end and cut the pointy end up and bagged in 2x8oz lots which I plan to use to make some pasties later this week
    oooohhh and I had to go to the post ofice on camp -which meant walking past the blackberries that we picked 4lb from on Monday and so we picked another 2lb that were ready and as hubby has a medical in the same building on Monday -guess what I will be doing to pass the time? -there should be loads more ready by then -so now, as well as the blackberry bake slices I made and froze yesterday -I have 7x8oz bags of berries frozen too
    Scotsaver -the blackberry bake is nice warm -with ice cream on
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Sunny Donny
    hi All
    well 12 days in and have spent £88.56 from my total (will update in a mo). Got lots of meat from Lidl for BBQ - pork steaks, chicken drumsticks. 30 approx coming to BBQ next weekend, so have shopping list and baking list.
    will be making my 2 favourite dishes - and enough spare for the guests to take home with them!!!
    Russian salad and coleslaw

Russian salad
    1 can of tuna (either oil or brine - personal taste)
    1lb potatoes (i use new ones)
    1/2 lb carrots
    1/2 cup of sweetcorn (frozen or tinned)
    1/2 cup of mayonaise
    1/2 cup of peas (frozen or fresh)
    1 medium red onion
    3 eggs
    salt
    Boil potatoes, carrots and eggs. peel and dice into small cubes. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Add salt to taste. put in the fridge for 30 minutes prior to serving. Can be made the day before the event.

Coleslaw - I make loads of this
    1 bag carrots
    3-4 large onions
    1 cabbage
    2-3 apples
    2 jars of mayonnaise (large ones)
    black pepper (I use pepper mill)

Shred or chop all ingredients (I usually chop finely cos I like chunky coleslaw)
    mix in the mayo, add pepper to taste then put in fridge.

Hope you like them if you try the recipes
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 12th Aug 09, 6:34 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Thanks for that Kipper,I always thought sauce's were hard to make, would go lumpy easily:confused: so usually buy a sauce mix

HWGA xx
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain

If you do get a problem with HM sauces going lumpy, just use a stick blender/ liquididser(sp?). Works well. Stick blenders are relatively cheap in supermarkets... roughly £4.

-------------------
    Spent over half of budget so far, but am well stocked up. Hoping to stay away from supermarkets until next week.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 12th Aug 09, 7:01 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    More spends! I haven't done a meal plan this week as I'm off for half the week and it's the Edinburgh Festival so I can never guarantee if I will be home. Could be an expensive week!

So, spends today:

Morrisons

Milk £1.20
    Felix x 3 boxes £8 (Saving of £2.35)
    Muller corners (6 pack) £1.40
    Anchor x 2 £3
    Bread £1
    Sweet and sour sauce £1.06
    Fajita seasoning £0.72

Total spend = £16.38

Aldi

10 eggs £0.99
    Ham £1.89
    Chicken tikka slices £1.99 (Not to be bought again, didn't have the consistency of chicken)
    Wraps x 2 packs £1.78
    Bananas £0.73
    Lettuce £0.29
    Juice £0.99
    Cheese £2.08

Total spend = £12.13

Not too bad in total I suppose. Off to update my signature and watch "Economy Gastronomy"
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • jackiegibbo
    I seem to be popping into sainsburys too frequently at the moment,i must make a note to myself not to do this!!!!Especially when i am hungry
  • rosieben
    I seem to be popping into sainsburys too frequently at the moment,i must make a note to myself not to do this!!!!Especially when i am hungry
    Originally posted by jackiegibbo
    that's one good thing that featured on the Economy Gastronomy prog tonight - its all in the menu planning and shopping lists!

I'm a bit of an evangelist about meal plans and shopping lists
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 13th Aug 09, 7:20 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Morning folks...just wanted to share a Mumma-Spesh I concocted for last night's meal. It was really very tasty even if I say so myself Apologies if I haven't invented anything at all, but we've never had it before Like many other 'good' inventions, quantities are a bit hit & miss unless given, but as most of it is veg, use your imagination is all I can advise :rolleyes:
    It looked like a curry but had the twang of a bolognaise so I've christened it a Beef Bolurry
    I put into a large oven-proof & hob-safe casserole dish a splash of oil & began to gently fry:-
    Cubed braising steak
    Thinly sliced carrots [but would grate these next time]
    Finely diced parsnip
    2 [large]sticks celery, chopped fairly small
    1/2 ea of a red & yellow pepper, diced
    Garlic
    1 tin toms [that got mashed as I stirred it all up so saved me another job]
    1 tin condensed tomato soup, rinsing out with half can of water into the pot
    liberal helpings of dried basil & bay leaves

Removed from hob, covered with foil in a medium oven for a couple of hours & served with boiled rice.
    I didn't add onion this time so Pup could have some [which soon disappeared from his bowl I can tell you!] but would next. I will try it again with chicken especially, but imagine any meat would work. Likewise I should think it would make a good slow-cooker recipe too.

Another Spesh for tonight is Meatloaf.
    In a bowl & using my little stick blender:-
    1lb pork sausagemeat, marmalised to a smooth pate
    1 grated carrot
    1 pk value sage & onion stuffing, NOT mixed up but straight from the packet
    good sprinkling dried parsley
    1 lg egg

Blitz it all up, then in medium oven for around an hour, till a knife blade came out clean. We're having it sliced cold tonight with mash & veg so I'll let you know tomorrow if it was as much of a success as last night. Pup has some hm meatballs I found lurking in the freezer so he has virtually the same as us again but without the onion.
    Editing Weds post on Fri to say.....be careful of the carrot! Our 'savoury' was really quite sweet Will add another post on the end of today's bit too, so all can see
    Last edited by BigMummaF; 14-08-2009 at 8:42 AM.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ellemm
    • By ellemm 13th Aug 09, 8:16 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Another Spesh for tonight is Meatloaf.
    In a bowl & using my little stick blender:-
    1lb pork sausagemeat, marmalised to a smooth pate
    1 grated carrot
    1 pk value sage & onion stuffing, NOT mixed up but straight from the packet
    good sprinkling dried parsley
    1 lg egg

Blitz it all up, then in medium oven for around an hour, till a knife blade came out clean. We're having it sliced cold tonight with mash & veg so I'll let you know tomorrow if it was as much of a success as last night. Pup has some hm meatballs I found lurking in the freezer so he has virtually the same as us again but without the onion.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    That sounds very easy BigMummaF will certainly give it a try-I usually mix minced lamb and sausagemeat and just add some dried herbs.

• Tashja
    Hi all

Going to update siggy in a moment. Having a baking/preparing for winter day today as well as trying to fly lady.

Just wanted to add this recipe as ordered loads of red onions from MrT last night as they were on offer and I have done this before for winter as DH loves it with stews and beef dishes. This was also posted by Rachelle on the live for 4,000 thread.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls
    red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover with salt leave for an hour
    Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan; boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion tanslucent & brown. Can't go wrong.

Put in sterilized jars.

Please can it be added to the recipe thread so I can find it again.

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
  • Tashja
    Right - updated siggy.

Managing because our local sommerfield has shut down and is being replaced by a MrS. But in the meantime we have nowhere to shop so been relying on MrT for home deliveries - making sure I search for on-line coupons (saved 13.00 yesterday !!)

We do struggle for milk because it is 1.10/pint at corner shop !!

Anyway easy chocolate cookies in baking, mousakka ingredients ready for later, red onion marmalade will be done later and I am going to look around for some more cheap recipies that I already have the stuff in for.

MrsM - Found the Blackberry cake recipe - thank you -x-

T -x-
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 13th Aug 09, 10:11 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Thanks MrsMC for the blackberry bake recipe, can't wait to try this! Wish our blackberries were ready.

Things here foing not too badly, considering all the stockpile buying and price increases. Current spend total for the year is at £947.62, so that's an average of just less than £30 per week for 3 adults. However, it also means I have only about £250 supposedly to last me the remaining 20 weeks of this year and I foubt very much if I can make that stretch. Trying my best, though, as there's stacks in stock but insufficient meat, fruit, veg, milk and bread to make it last.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,463Users online

Martin's Twitter