Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 25
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 11th Aug 09, 8:51 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Hi updating sig here.
    Just returned from Tuscany which was more expensive than expected due to Euro rate.
    I am having a family gathering on Sunday for about 10 adults, 3 children and need ideas for a cheap summer spread. Mum's making two cakes, I have blackberries and apples growing in the garden so I could probably do something with thoses but i'm not sure what. I am going to make a triffle and will get strawberries and cream so thats desserts covered.
    Any cheap main course ideas? I have a pound of mince in the freezer.
    (Don't want to do a BBQ)
    Originally posted by Miss-spent
    well if you have mince how about a mild chilli then split into two pots so you can spice up the adult one, served with jacket spuds or wraps?

or meatballs, easily cooked in the oven, i just chuck them in the baking tray with a couple of tins of toms and some herbs, some chopped onions and carrots and anything else you fancy, maybe some red wine.

ummm hm burgers with cheese in the middle, very nice and the oozy cheese is scrummy, blue cheese for the grown ups and maybe cheddar or mozzarella for the kids?

hth
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 11th Aug 09, 8:54 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi updating sig here.
    Just returned from Tuscany which was more expensive than expected due to Euro rate.
    I am having a family gathering on Sunday for about 10 adults, 3 children and need ideas for a cheap summer spread. Mum's making two cakes, I have blackberries and apples growing in the garden so I could probably do something with thoses but i'm not sure what. I am going to make a triffle and will get strawberries and cream so thats desserts covered.
    Any cheap main course ideas? I have a pound of mince in the freezer.
    (Don't want to do a BBQ)
    Originally posted by Miss-spent
    I would use the mince bulked out with extra veg/oats/lentils etc to make a huge lasagne. It's filling and a little goes a long way. You can serve with a green salad - you won't need much if youv'e lots of veg in the lasagne. I always use celery, carrots, onion, and mushrooms as well as tinned tomatoes in my recipe and it goes a long way. Also you can prep it on Saturday and keep it in the fridge and just shove it in the oven on Sunday. Use the blackberries and apples to make a crumble which can also be prepped in advance. If you don't have a large enough container for one big serving split between two. HTH

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 11th Aug 09, 8:59 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi, just popped in to update my sig as we have been away for a few days. It looks bad as I am 2/3 of the way through my budget with 17 days to go and we have visitors next week. However, I have done my meal plans for the next two weeks and have most of the meat in the freezer. Also, my visitors will probably take us out for at least one meal so it's not all bad!

Will try an catch up on all the posts I've missed while I have been away - but in case I don't thanks to all of you for your encouragement and hugs to those who need them!

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 11th Aug 09, 9:29 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    [QUOTE=highland fling;24010377]By the way can I freeze double cream? Have some left from yesterday's lunch and know it will not be used up today.QUOTE]

Sorry if someone has already replied to this - am catching up after a weekend away - yes you can freeze double cream if you whip it first. A good idea is to whip it and pipe into little (or big!) rosettes - then when you want to pop them on the top of a trifle or something you can just take them straight from the freezer. Even better pop one into a cup of coffee- yum...

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 11th Aug 09, 10:16 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Right now I've caught up with all the posts and can ask a few questions!

My veg boxes have bolted after my weekend away and I was wondering what to do with the swiss chard - usually I like to pick the baby leaves for salad, but have never eaten the mature leaves - does anyone know what I do with them?

My auntie gave me a pepper plant when I visited yesterday - I hope I don't kill it - I'm not very good with indoor plants! There are already a couple of little peppers there so hope to harvest some soon. My runner beans are doing really well in their pots so am hoping to pick these at the weekend.

When I was away I popped into Aldi and found they had packets of 6 seeds for winter veg and healthy leaves for £1.99 each ( thats per pack of 6) so bought some. It may be a bit late to sow some of them but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Sorry, realise that this should probably be on the Greenfingers forum, but I know a lot of you GCers grow your own!

Thanks to Rosieben for the Bulk mince link - I am going to give it a try as I was planning to do cannelloni for my visitors next week. BTW, I find that you can make the mince mix go further using cannelloni tubes rather than lasagne sheets. It used to be difficult to find the tubes but now get them in Sainsbury's quite easily and find that 3-4 tubes is enough per serving. HTH someone.

Off to sort out my cooking for today - roast chicken, and doing some cakes in the oven whilst it's on to take advantage and not waste the leccy!

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 11th Aug 09, 10:19 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    It's me again - does anyone know why although I have 4 posts here my total still says 397?

Also, does anyone else have the problem that while checking through the posts and clicking the thanks button you get to the top of the page and find that you have been logged out? Why does this happen ? Is it something to do with my pc set up?

Right I really am off to the kitchen now!

Moniker
    Last edited by Moniker; 11-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    • Money Fritter
    • By Money Fritter 11th Aug 09, 10:23 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Money Fritter
    Hi Folks,

I am a bit late putting my name down, but can you put my down for

£80.83 FOR August.

I was away at the begining of the month. However, I have still been keeping my food spend in check and under budget.

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • WelshWoofer
    Back from my trek to Mr T's with the doggie.
    Spent £4.19 on 2 giant yorkshires, pint of milk, ham and toilet roll - not bad for me! It did help that I walked there and had to carry everything back (1 hr round trip to walk) and so it limited my purchases. Also leaving the dog with the security man keeping guard makes you whizz round just for the things you need! May be a plan for the future!

Off to peel the spuds ready for tea and put the washing on the line - the sun has come out!!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • shell_542
    Can I just ask a possibly very daft question, how do people show their NSD's in their signatures? I've seen a few different figures like "2/13" or "5/20" What do the numbers correspond to? Thanks in advance x
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
    • elf06
    • By elf06 11th Aug 09, 11:40 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Can I just ask a possibly very daft question, how do people show their NSD's in their signatures? I've seen a few different figures like "2/13" or "5/20" What do the numbers correspond to? Thanks in advance x
    Originally posted by shell_542
    When I did it I hd the first number as how many no spend days and the second number as the date in the month (so 2/15 would be 2 no spend days out of 15 with 15 being the date) but I kept losing count so gave up
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • shell_542
    When I did it I hd the first number as how many no spend days and the second number as the date in the month (so 2/15 would be 2 no spend days out of 15 with 15 being the date) but I kept losing count so gave up
    Originally posted by elf06
    Thanks! That makes sense I'll see how long I go before losing count
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
    • elf06
    • By elf06 11th Aug 09, 11:45 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Thanks! That makes sense I'll see how long I go before losing count
    Hope you get on better than me - this is only my second month
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 11th Aug 09, 11:48 AM
    • 24,803 Posts
    • 28,827 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Only trouble is, when I bought the spuds on saturday, i went for the cheapest option and to be honest they are horrible so now I dont want my jacket chips because I normally use maris piper spuds and the basic white spud is not the same!

So with rather a lot of potatoes sitting on my kitchen side, i am after ideas on how to use them all up !! Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    Why don't you flavour them with a spice mix - garam masala, crumbled stock cube, Mexican fajita and a squeeze of lime juice ... :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • lollyfin
    • By lollyfin 11th Aug 09, 11:52 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    lollyfin
    Hi all
    hope you are all having a good day
    haven't been on for a couple of days as we have been sorting out the garden, it's looking lovely but I ache all over lol.
    We had MrsMs corned beef hash and dumplings last night and are having the leftovers tonight with cheesy pastry pinwheels and I made the stock and some of the hash into soup (added a bag of instant mash for 38p) and that is enough for 3 meals for all of us so am really chuffed that 2 tins of corned beef some veg and potatoes will have fed us 2 main meals and 3 lunches thank you MrsM!!!
    Oh and could you post your recipe for blackberry cake as I know of some good patches that should be ready in the next couple of weeks
    Thanks
    Lollyfin
    budget is now at 24.47
    • taka
    • By taka 11th Aug 09, 12:24 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 17,346 Thanks
    taka
    I go for 1st number= no of days I've managed it / 2nd number = aim for the month...

eg 1/12 means I've only managed 1 NSD out of the 12 I am hoping to do this month... I'm not doing too well...

Its your sig... whatever way works for you is best!

lollyfin - what are cheese pastry pinwheels? I've never heard of pinwheels before... what are they? (Its going to be something really obvious isn't it... )

Flat eric - I love chinese 5 spice on my wedges... Yummy!
    2019 MFW #51 £364.10/£500
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Aug 09, 12:43 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 34,389 Thanks
    XSpender
    A couple of small spends to add to my annual total today. I keep forgetting stuff and have to go back to Mr S and always end up coming out with a couple of little extras.

Tried to just do a weekly shop this month instead of a big shop at the beginning of the month and top up shops each week but I don't think it has worked. I seem to have spent less on groceries but more on take aways and extras as I am nipping to the shop for bits I have forgotten or there is not much 'quick' food in for when we are late in and tired.

My stores and freezer are running low so planning to do a big stock up shop when I am on holiday next week and then small top ups after that, I will see if I get on better this way.

Moniker - I get logged out every so many minutes and I use my work laptop and high speed broadband and I am not sure why it happens either:confused:
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all
    How spooky lollyfin -I was just chatting with mum on the phone and said I was desperate for a pan of cornedbeef hash and lumpadings -which is usually saved for the colder months -glad you liked it -its one of our faves

Well this morning I have made the carrot cake -but into 24 buns and done the blackberry grater cake bakes -but made it into 2 tray bakes -so I have 24 22 (well we had to test it) pieces for the freezer - and as a bonus when I had done the fruit and strained it -I reduced the liquid down and it has turned into almost jam -I have 500ml -so Im going to pour into 5 empty yoghurt pots and freeze and then it will make nice steamed jam sponge puddings come winter
    Here is the original recipe/method
    GRATED BLACKBERRY BAKE
    makes 8.5" cake
    preheat oven to -200c/400f/gas6
    1. 350g blackberries
    2. 175g granulated sugar
    3. 275g plain flour
    4. pinch salt
    5. grated zest 1 lemon
    6. 175g block marge or butter
    7. 100g golden caster sugar
    8. 1 medium egg beaten
    • pick over the blacberries and rinse and drain well
    • place in a pan with 2tbs water and simmer for 8 mins
    • stir in the granulated sugar, bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 mins -stirring regularly -You need to get the syrup to thicken -so if you don't want the fruit to mush, remove with a slotted spoon and reduce the liquid on its own
    • leave it to cool
    • sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the lemon zest
    • cut in the fat then rub in to form breadcrumbs
    • stir in the sugar and beaten egg and mix to form a firm dough
    • wrap in plastic and chill for 1hr until firm
    • grease an 8.5" spring release cake tin and base line with greaseproof
    • cut the pastry in half and coarsely grate one half over the base of the tin and press down
    • spread cooled topping over the top
    • grate the other half of the dough over the top -taking right to the edges so the filling doesn't bubble uo
    • bake for 35-40 mins until golden
    • cool for 5 mins before removing from the tin
    And here are my adjustments ;-
    I got some tubs of flora (suitable for baking) whoopsed to 25c a tub -so I used that -the mix was much softer
    so the bottom half of the dough I dropped into the tin and pressed down (a bit like making shortbread) -I raised the sides slightly to keep the fruit in then instead of grating the top(it was NEVER going to work) I just broke bits off and dropped it on the top -it covered just the same and saved washing up oh and I replaced the golden caster sugar with normal granulated too,
    Here is the 1st one I made last year -so you can see what it should come out like -to me it reminds me of the base of those vienese whirl biccies you can buy.... its lovely

As I said -this time I have made 2 trays as squares are much easier to freeze oh and when I priced it up I made 3 times the recipe and the total cost was €1.79 making it just 7.5c a
    Give me a yell If you can't make sense of the ramblings
    I had had enough by the time I was done -so the courgette cakes will have to wait... if I have freezer space after I have wedged todays goodies in
    Dinner tonight is pasta bake -have odds n sods want using up -plus I took a tub of HM tomato n marscapone out of the freezer to make it -so I have a wee bit more space in there
    right -off for a cuppa and some x-stitching
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 11th Aug 09, 2:08 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Still managing to use stores and freezer at the moment so another nsd Hoping to do this for as many days as possible and keep well within budget this month, which will make a change.

I haven't been making a meal plan for the month(and prob should), but bulk cook meals and freeze so it's like having my own supermarket in the house

When making fish pie, which sauce goes in? cheese/white? don't know how to make white one must do better

Hugs to those that need them,
    ( including me)

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 11th Aug 09, 2:26 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 36,931 Thanks
    Natty68
    Ooops forgot to pop on here for my monthly challenge..

MrsM can you put me down for £320.00 please, thanks

I have spent £56.00 of this already..so will update my signature now..

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • kippers
    • By kippers 11th Aug 09, 2:29 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Hiya guys,
    Still managing to use stores and freezer at the moment so another nsd Hoping to do this for as many days as possible and keep well within budget this month, which will make a change.

I haven't been making a meal plan for the month(and prob should), but bulk cook meals and freeze so it's like having my own supermarket in the house

When making fish pie, which sauce goes in? cheese/white? don't know how to make white one must do better

Hugs to those that need them,
    ( including me)

HWGA xx
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    White sauce

40g butter/marg
    40g plain flour
    600ml milk

Melt butter in a non stick saucepan (i use my milk pan)

Take off heat and add the flour and beat until smooth paste

Add milk a little at a time and beat until no lumps.

Bring to boil and cook gently for 2-3 mins, stir all the time.

White sauce is dead easy, and you can half the quantity if req'd.

I use parsley sauce in my fish pie which is the above white sauce with 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley add when it begins to boil.

Hope this helps you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

4,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin